Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

wonski wrote: »
    Only sensible decision.

With the traffic limited to essential journeys etc it shouldn't be a big issue now.

It will become issue when things go back to normal with backlogs of tests, but let's worry about it later.

Keep Gardaí on the lookout for some dodgy cars and drivers on the road and it will be fine for a while.

Strictly speaking from Gardai any car on the road without a valid NCT is dodgy as that is an offence, it's just a dodgy patch-up job by RSA.
    I cannot see the test being re-introduced unless it be full test.
    I expect huge rush of lifts being fitted in coming weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I reckon in the current climate as long as your NCT didn't run out last year they're not going to make too much of a fuss about it.

sligojoek wrote: »
    I reckon in the current climate as long as your NCT didn't run out last year they're not going to make too much of a fuss about it.

On the contrary, seen as they havent been given any powers of detainment in relation to the "lockdown", i reckon if you're acting the bollocks out and about, they'll use the lack of an NCT (where applicable) to nail you to the wall and take the car as a punishment for going against the govt. advice.

On the contrary, seen as they havent been given any powers of detainment in relation to the "lockdown", i reckon if you're acting the bollocks out and about, they'll use the lack of an NCT (where applicable) to nail you to the wall and take the car as a punishment for going against the govt. advice.

I know what you mean but you'd really have to be acting the bo££ox for that to happen.

. I'm still due the lift test and have the partial cert in a folder with receipts for wishbone bushings, track rod ends, pads and shoes. Receipts for the work and 4 new tyres. Can't do any more than that.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Kivaro wrote: »
    Of course not.
    Is it really a material difference though?
    No need to respond, as I believe you knew the intent of my statement.

Yes, as they kept the garages open and not on an emergency call-out basis (so far).

Besides, the minister in question announce extension on the 25th March, but commences on 30th. If MOT expires 29th or before, you still have to get one. That is half-arsed.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest they closed the lot down when they quite clearly haven't.

• Advertisement

macplaxton wrote: »
    Yes, as they kept the garages open and not on an emergency call-out basis (so far).

Besides, the minister in question announce extension on the 25th March, but commences on 30th. If MOT expires 29th or before, you still have to get one. That is half-arsed.

It's a bit disingenuous to suggest they closed the lot down when they quite clearly haven't.

The minister in question should ride off into the sunset with his pension and hand the job over to someone who cares and knows what they're doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I know what you mean but you'd really have to be acting the bo££ox for that to happen.

. I'm still due the lift test and have the partial cert in a folder with receipts for wishbone bushings, track rod ends, pads and shoes. Receipts for the work and 4 new tyres. Can't do any more than that.

SJ,I posted this on another nct thread here yesterday. An interesting development, maybe sinister ross needs to have a word with the insurance companies !

A good pal of mine has a lend of a car I own. Hes had it first a couple of weeks,yester6he called his insurance co to extend his temporary cover. Insurance co refused because there is no test on the car. The car passed the partial test about 4 weeks ago,since then its original test has expired( they had no issue insuring it then) and it would appear its uninsurable,at least with his company.

Personally I'd have kicked up stink

SJ,I posted this on another nct thread here yesterday. An interesting development, maybe sinister ross needs to have a word with the insurance companies !

A good pal of mine has a lend of a car I own. Hes had it first a couple of weeks,yester6he called his insurance co to extend his temporary cover. Insurance co refused because there is no test on the car. The car passed the partial test about 4 weeks ago,since then its original test has expired( they had no issue insuring it then) and it would appear its uninsurable,at least with his company.

Personally I'd have kicked up stink

I expect this is because he is not the car owner, i expect if he owned the car they would have to insure.

The minister in question should ride off into the sunset with his pension and hand the job over to someone who cares and knows what they're doing.

The only time i meet a politician who "cares" is around election time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I expect this is because he is not the car owner, i expect if he owned the car they would have to insure.

There was always a problem with extending temporary cover on a car not owned etc. At least I always had to fight with insurers about this.

• Advertisement

There was always a problem with extending temporary cover on a car not owned etc. At least I always had to fight with insurers about this.

To be honest I've never had an issue either extending or cutting a period of insurance on a loan vehicle. I think they are being knuts about this,either the car is tested ir it's not. It was brought in for test about 3 weeks before the expiry of its curren(at the time) cert. It passed their test(as much as they could test anywey) but the ins co wont accept this. Now the centres are closed for prob 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭honda boi

Bought a car in February with no nct since Oct 2019 passed first part of test in February.
    Dealer I bought it off had work done to it to make sure it passes,said if it fails anything on lift test he'd fix it.
    But now theres no hope of getting a test for awhile now.
    Have the half pass sheet in the car. Nothing else I can do, have called and emailed about a lift test the past few weeks and got no where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

For a text cancelling test. I assume everyone did.

They finally figured out how to do it.

Ya. Just got a text there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

Same here. Quite relieved if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

To be honest I've never had an issue either extending or cutting a period of insurance on a loan vehicle. I think they are being knuts about this,either the car is tested ir it's not. It was brought in for test about 3 weeks before the expiry of its curren(at the time) cert. It passed their test(as much as they could test anywey) but the ins co wont accept this. Now the centres are closed for prob 3 weeks.

I totally understand your frustration over this.

Shouldn't be penalised for something completely out of your control. Especially when there was an effort to get it done in time.

I always have it done a bit earlier to allow time for repairs, parts etc, this year didn't even bother.

Terrible timing for all this...

I always have it done a bit earlier to allow time for repairs, parts etc, this year didn't even bother

Same here. NCT expiry was a couple of days ago, but had it booked in for early Feb to get it done early - lift issue became public and incomplete inspections became a thing a week before that appointment.

I threw it in anyway just to have the 'test incomplete' report, and was hanging back to book the lift inspection to see if our local centre would open. I booked a mainstream one at the start of the month when it became apparent that wasn't going to happen, then Covid-19 threw a metaphorical spanner in the works...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭HanFiredFirst

Maybe now it is closed to the public they can get all the centers still waiting for lifts to be replaced done. If not there still could be a 6 week wait when it reopens for those waiting on the lift part of the test.

Maybe now it is closed to the public they can get all the centers still waiting for lifts to be replaced done. If not there still could be a 6 week wait when it reopens for those waiting on the lift part of the test.

I'd say the problem with that is supply chain. Lifts not being manufactured transported or fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭Tow

Twice they have cancelled me. What are my chances of a free test?

https://www.ncts.ie/1179
    4. Ensure that the average lead time for an appointment at an individual test centre is less than three weeks and no greater than four weeks. The customer will be provided with a test free of charge where an appointment cannot be offered within a four week period provided that:

The test is not overdue by more than 7 days at the time of contacting NCTS

An appointment has not been offered at least 1 week prior to the test due date

The customer has not made specific requests regarding suitable days, times or dates

The customer has not declined or rearranged two or more appointments

The customer has not failed to attend an appointment

The customer has not previously accepted or requested an appointment outside of the four week period

The points noted above only apply when an appointment has not been offered within four weeks. There is no guarantee of a test appointment at short notice for cars overdue the test.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement

I am half expecting that the centers will not re-open until this is fixed.
    Not sure Minister will want to re-introduce half-test.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

honda boi wrote: »
    Bought a car in February with no nct since Oct 2019 passed first part of test in February.
    Dealer I bought it off had work done to it to make sure it passes,said if it fails anything on lift test he'd fix it.
    But now theres no hope of getting a test for awhile now.
    Have the half pass sheet in the car. Nothing else I can do, have called and emailed about a lift test the past few weeks and got no where.

Im in a similar situation bought a car thats NCT expired September 2019, got it through the first half of the test a couple of weeks ago and booked it in for lift inspection local to me for the 12th April. Thats been cancelled now and I cant get an insurance policy on the car until its passed the NCT

marcos_94 wrote: »
    Im in a similar situation bought a car thats NCT expired September 2019, got it through the first half of the test a couple of weeks ago and booked it in for lift inspection local to me for the 12th April. Thats been cancelled now and I cant get an insurance policy on the car until its passed the NCT

Can i ask how did you have insurance for first part of test...

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭marcos_94

Can i ask how did you have insurance for first part of test...

I didnt, I got a friend whos policy covers him to drive any car to collect the car with me when I bought it, and then bring the car to the NCT centre for the first part. Its now declared off the road until I get the NCT sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Where does that leave the people who have passed the first part of the test and are just waiting on the lift inspection?

If it takes 6 weeks for all this to blow over, will they make us to a full test again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

What happens to money taken from card for cancellation ? Will it be refunded ?

You give the minister :);) WAY too much credit.

Pops_20 wrote: »
    Where does that leave the people who have passed the first part of the test and are just waiting on the lift inspection?

If it takes 6 weeks for all this to blow over, will they make us to a full test again?

When I booked my lift inspection, more than 28 days had elapsed and so I had to call NCTS to get my booking. It was going to be just the lift inspection, and no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

What happens to money taken from card for cancellation ? Will it be refunded ?

No payment is taken until vehicle check in at the time of the test

• Advertisement

This is going to be an administeritive mess.
    Half test will have to be retested completely
    Then there are the cars need testing.
    It will take months.

Advertisement