Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This has been going on since the lifts problem was discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

This has been going on since the lifts problem was discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    NCT testing will resume on 29th March. Has been deemed an essential service. Website just updated.

Hmm. Cause a bit of hassle if the mechanics required to fix fail defects aren't also deemed to be essential services...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Not a word about people who had booked for today

You just know they will charge ( as its automatic) €22 for a no show
    And you will have to jump through all kinds of flaming hoops to get your money back

No reply to phone calls or email

Joke

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

Hmm. Cause a bit of hassle if the mechanics required to fix fail defects aren't also deemed to be essential services...

They are.

On call.

The list was available yesterday, dunno why people keep saying today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

FFVII wrote: »
    They are.

On call.

The list was available yesterday, dunno why people keep saying today.

"On call" implies roadside emergency, not "the NCT failed me on x, y z, can I drop it in to you before the retest deadline?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

"On call" implies roadside emergency, not "the NCT failed me on x, y z, can I drop it in to you before the retest deadline?"
    And that's just one of the issues.
    If the NCT finds something wrong, you have to scramble around town looking for a mechanic during a lock down. That is where the private owners of the NCT service catches you for fees i.e. if you cannot get it fixed on time for the re-test.

As I mentioned elsewhere; How come the Brits shut down their MOT centres for 6 months? Did they get it wrong then?
    It is a complete shambles and a big mistake by the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    NCT testing will resume on 29th March. Has been deemed an essential service. Website just updated.

If people have any sense they will just stop booking until this mess is sorted.
    Having a medical procedure is an essential service but we get fix or die, i never heard of "incomplete""
    A service that is "not fit for purpose" is just that.
    When they have the things fixed people book and get tested, the same as in UK. An Irish solution YES.

THERE TWO SEPARATE THREADS ON THIS TOPIC...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder do they have teams traveling the country now to fix the lifts in the centres that don't have working ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Buffman

Latest:https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1126954-coronavirus-tracker/

The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross, has said National Car Testing Service (NCT), as well as the Commercial Vehicle Testing System are suspended until further notice.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

Buffman wrote: »

Ive a test booked for this coming Friday - assume i should cancel it to avoid any failed no show charges and wait till dust settles to rebook?

BArra wrote: »
    Ive a test booked for this coming Friday - assume i should cancel it to avoid any failed no show charges and wait till dust settles to rebook?

It's 5 working days so I think if you cancel it now they might charge you. If they cancel it, no charge, so I'd leave it.

They can't charge a no show fee for a test they've cancelled.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭BArra

ive just changed it to may so will see how things pan out

BArra wrote: »
    ive just changed it to may so will see how things pan out

Ye, hopefully things will be a bit better by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭ml100

So what does that mean, can you drive a car that's cert is up this week for example? They have stopped the tests but are the guards going to issue points ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I wonder why the change of heart?

First of all business as usual, then closed today (Saturday), updated to open as usual tomorrow, now SR says closed.

Were the NCT centres themselves pushing to stay open?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I wonder why the change of heart?

First of all business as usual, then closed today (Saturday), updated to open as usual tomorrow, now SR says closed.

Were the NCT centres themselves pushing to stay open?

Shane Ross....nuff said !

I suspect there be legal reasons why the test cannot be re-introduced, the whole legality of having an incomplete test and re-introduction of same?
    Its kinda per school stuff. Also if tests suspended unlikely new test can be backdated.
    I thought he was writing a book, a few more pages. Is he still a TD/Minister i thought he lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

AFT. Really was an easy early call.
    Not a TD but still a Minister. All the anomolies should have been included in the emergency legislation that was passed during the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I suspect there be legal reasons why the test cannot be re-introduced, the whole legality of having an incomplete test and re-introduction of same?
    Its kinda per school stuff. Also if tests suspended unlikely new test can be backdated.
    I thought he was writing a book, a few more pages. Is he still a TD/Minister i thought he lost.

Ross, Zappone Doherty et al are no longer TDs but are still the executive ministers until they are replaced ... it's a bit like tag you're it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Ross, Zappone Doherty et al are no longer TDs but are still the executive ministers until they are replaced ... it's a bit like tag you're it.

Jesus i think we are all goin to dye, were ****ed. Bring back Bertie, cash is king...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Kivaro wrote: »
    As I mentioned elsewhere; How come the Brits shut down their MOT centres for 6 months? .

They didn't.

They did do a 6 month extension. Not the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Reporter on RTE news just now said NCT tests suspended for forseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Only sensible decision.

With the traffic limited to essential journeys etc it shouldn't be a big issue now.

It will become issue when things go back to normal with backlogs of tests, but let's worry about it later.

Keep Gardaí on the lookout for some dodgy cars and drivers on the road and it will be fine for a while.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Reporter on RTE news just now said NCT tests suspended for forseeable future.

So when tested will nit be backdated, it be difficult to explain that but likely blame Ross as he be gone.
    He did same thing for FAI during election campaign and no-one noticed...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,500 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Nothing in his life (as a Minister) became him as much as his leaving of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

macplaxton wrote: »
    They didn't.

They did do a 6 month extension. Not the same thing.

Of course not.
    Is it really a material difference though?
    No need to respond, as I believe you knew the intent of my statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Water John

His constituents noticed he was a tosser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Water John wrote: »
    His constituents noticed he was a tosser.

It took them WAY too long !!. Hes been s tosser for many many years.

Advertisement