Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

vw4life wrote: »
    All the information is on the nct website

You mean this?
    https://www.ncts.ie/1115
    Updated on the 20th of March (5 days ago) with some details.

They have a list of email addresses/phone numbers to communicate with people who have only had a partial test but have failed to do so.
    It's their fcuk up - they should be proactive about resolving the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Due to have the lift part of the NCT done. Rang up to book in and told no guarantee it'd be done in Waterford as only one lift in operation.

I rang for the lift test in Waterford earlier in the week and the next appointment was May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

All the information is on the nct website

Its not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

beauf wrote: »
    Its not enough.

What do you need to know

What do you need to know

They need to be more proactive about getting cars that couldn't be fully tested tested.
    Sticking a notice on the website once every few weeks isn't being proactive.
    Now we see that there's a massive backlog which will force those caught up in this into issues with their expirary through no fault of their own. No communications on how NCTS plan to deal with this.

• Advertisement

What do you need to know

Will I be charged full price even though the delay was nothing to do with me.

Also what precautions in terms of cleaning inside my car are going on, or should I do with the cleaning products I can't get.

Will I get a lift. Because what they say is working on the website has in the past not been true in the center.

Is the car legal on the road? Without a NCT, since the lift crisis.
    Will I get fined, points?
    Is the insurance invalid, since the lift crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

beauf wrote: »
    Will I be charged full price even though the delay was nothing to do with me.

Also what precautions in terms of cleaning inside my car are going on, or should I do with the cleaning products I can't get.

Will I get a lift. Because what they say is working on the website has in the past not been true in the center.

Is the car legal on the road? Without a NCT, since the lift crisis.
    Will I get fined, points?
    Is the insurance invalid, since the lift crisis.

I can see all the info on website. Have you clicked on the frequently asked questions part

It isn't. Some of this information isn't even the remit of the NCT. The website basically says its will be grand, we think, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Pops_20

Blarney Cork NCT centre resumed lift inspections yesterday. All 4 lifts are now operational.

You think they'd put an announcement on the website asap?

Probably is on the website in some none obvious place.

• Advertisement

I can see all the info on website. Have you clicked on the frequently asked questions part

Why aren't they proactively communicating with those people who have been impacted by this? They all all the contact information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Xcellor

MOT in UK is now not mandatory for next 6 months.

What's the story now I have done test and got a partial completion. My cert is expired. Can I drive my car legally?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Xcellor wrote: »
    MOT in UK is now not mandatory for next 6 months.

What's the story now I have done test and got a partial completion. My cert is expired. Can I drive my car legally?

I'm in the same boat. I photocopied the sheet they gave me and left it in the glovebox. Fuk the one who stops me. We would be in s different situation if the wardens could ticket you for no nct.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I emailed the NCT yesterday morning after not being able to contact them by phone as no one seemed to be answering the phone..

I wanted an update on my local centre to see if there was an update on the them getting a lift.

I send that email at midday yesterday and have yet to get a response that is totally unacceptable from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I emailed the NCT yesterday morning after not being able to contact them by phone as no one seemed to be answering the phone..

I wanted an update on my local centre to see if there was an update on the them getting a lift.

I send that email at midday yesterday and have yet to get a response that is totally unacceptable from them.

Maybe the computer caught a virus:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

I rang them around midday and eventually got through. Booked for the underbody test no problem.

The only thing I wanted to say was that I was holding on the phone for a long time. That didn’t surprise me, but just to let you guys know that sometimes there is complete silence on the end of the line - you’d swear the phone was dead, and I nearly hung up a couple of times.

The hold goes from ringing phone to message to ringing tone to silence, and in random order. I only stayed on the line because I’d nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Anyone know what the story is in Cahir, Co Tipp? Do they have lifts working?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

coffeepls wrote: »
    I rang them around midday and eventually got through. Booked for the underbody test no problem.

The only thing I wanted to say was that I was holding on the phone for a long time. That didn’t surprise me, but just to let you guys know that sometimes there is complete silence on the end of the line - you’d swear the phone was dead, and I nearly hung up a couple of times.

The hold goes from ringing phone to message to ringing tone to silence, and in random order. I only stayed on the line because I’d nothing else to do.

What centre was that?

Its made it to the headlines now...

https://www.thejournal.ie/nct-ireland-coronavirus-open-appointment-5057058-Mar2020/
    The wife was in the Little Island centre in Cork a few days back. She asked what precautions they were taking and was told just gloves. No masks, no wipes for steering wheels etc. She knows a tester and when she spoke to her about it she said that when they complained to their manager about the lack of protection he actually told them to “man up”.

You couldn't make it up. Bring people together into locations which were pretty poor cleaning even before this. Then make them come back 2 or 3 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

sligojoek wrote: »
    What centre was that?

Naas - it’s only been fully up and running the last few days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭KinnegadKid

Any word on the lifts in the Mullingar NCT Centre lads and lassies :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

Gov should prob suspend

Spreading the virus between going to mechanics(if even available) and NCT centre and stress

• Registered Users Posts: 27 magic123

Any word on the lifts in the Mullingar NCT Centre lads and lassies :)

Lifts not working there. Was on friday,guy who works there said another 5 6 weeks without lifts

• Registered Users Posts: 60,503 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I’m still waiting for a reply to my email sent on Tuesday.

Yesterday I spent 27 minutes on hold to finally l get through only to have the kind lady tell she could not hear me and telling me to ring back before hanging up on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

I had my NCT on the 8th of March. Passed except had no underbody test due to lift. They said they’d contact me but I’ve heard nothing. Should I ring or just keep waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Buffman

Had a full test in Naas the other day. Luckily they recently got the ramps fixed.

Some testers wearing masks, some using scarves/neck gaiters or with their jumpers pulled up onto their face and some with nothing. Mustn't be any official policy for them. All wearing gloves alright.

They're only allowing 2 people inside at a time so lots of people waiting outside observing social distance. I'd advise you to bring rain gear if the weather's not great. Luckily the sun was shining for me so after doing the paperwork I just waited outside and he brought the result out to me.

I think that these incomplete tests should be halted now, completely unnecessary risks now bringing people in for a half test and expecting them to risk it again at some stage in the future for another test.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

sitstill wrote: »
    I had my NCT on the 8th of March. Passed except had no underbody test due to lift. They said they’d contact me but I’ve heard nothing. Should I ring or just keep waiting?
    Do ring, at least make a date so you can say to cops you have rescheduled.
    keep the incomplete cert or copy of with car.

Don't ask about why they can't do lift inspections on boards, you will be accused of wanting to kill the mechanics, and also will be accused of calling them cowards if the don't do the inspection.
    Even though Applus staff were doing their own inspections on Applus lifts that Applus are paid to provide service with.
    And no actual garage in the country is closed due to not having lifts. Applus is not at fault in any way, in fact it's all the unreasonable customers fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Will NCT tests go ahead now?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Will NCT tests go ahead now?

We can close the thread now.

I will have to drive with no nct for another 2 weeks...

Hopefully people will listen this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I've a retest, no idea what will happen if the lock down is still in place after the retest has expired

Advertisement