Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Ah crapsticks they are closing at 3 or 4 o'clock or something these days and they're not fast on getting back to emails. I would book for Lift Inspection online but not sure if ya can... Is booking online classed as a Re-Test or can I book Free Lift Inspection on their Site without them charging me 30 quid for a Re-test anyone know? I might wait until tomorrow and ring early and see can I get talking to a human.

Tou have to ring to get the free under body inspection to finish off an incomplete test due to the lift issues . You can book online but they charge you and if it's more than 28 days since initial part of test you have to pay for a full test if booked on line. Call em for the free undrrbody inspection

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Why don't they just call it off now and close the place down for a month with all that's going on and give everyone a 3 month extension, people have enough going on with kids at home and old people needing to stay cocuned, if everyone just stopped going and stop booking and cancel there tests immediately. We have the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Is Drogheda still inoperative? They state to date on linked form but didn't date the form. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Is Drogheda still inoperative? They state to date on linked form but didn't date the form. :rolleyes:

So did u read the FAQ that was updated yesterday??? Or just rely on boards??

So did u read the FAQ that was updated yesterday??? Or just rely on boards??

Which FAQ, could you link?

If you’re referring to one you’ve linked earlier, as per my post, there’s no references date on it. :D

• Advertisement

Here now. They’ve closed waiting room, it’s very small in fairness. Buts it’s freezing out.

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Which FAQ, could you link?

If you’re referring to one you’ve linked earlier, as per my post, there’s no references date on it. :D

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

It’s there under this sub-heading
    Temporary Suspension of Vehicle Inspection Lift in NCTS - Update
    We understand that some of our customers may have specific questions regarding their NCT test. We have compiled some Frequently Asked Questions to assist NCTS customers

Update 20th March 2020

Full underbody inspections have now recommenced in the following NCT centres, Northpoint Co Dublin, Fonthill Dublin , Deansgrange Co Dublin and Naas .

We would encourage customers to book their NCT online for these centres.

Full NCT inspections are also being conducted in the following centres, however please be advised that not all lifts in these centres are fully operational and some customers may still only receive a partial inspection

Cork (Little Island)
    Limerick
    Galway
    Letterkenny
    Waterford
    Killarney
    Ballinasloe
    Athlone
    Skibbereen
    Ballina

Took about 30 seconds to find it

Not if you click on link, it’ll bring you to the PDF and not website.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

A 3 month extension is only a stroke of a pen for the RSA they have all ready relaxed the rules for truck drivers. Putting the lives of elderly people at risk that feel pressured to do there NCT. Cars are turning into little isolation boxs now because while family are going out for drives just to get out of the house and maybe get a drive through take away. Cancel all appointments and vote with your feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

popa smurf wrote: »
    Why don't they just call it off now and close the place down for a month with all that's going on and give everyone a 3 month extension, people have enough going on with kids at home and old people needing to stay cocuned, if everyone just stopped going and stop booking and cancel there tests immediately. We have the power.

I've had problems trying to get a NCT since Jan. If it passes the next test it will be 4 months. Assuming they don't cancel it.

• Advertisement

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

It’s there under this sub-heading
    Temporary Suspension of Vehicle Inspection Lift in NCTS - Update

Took about 30 seconds to find it

Why they can't email those waiting for tests is baffling. They should be able to see those people waiting on a third test and let them know where to go.

I don't think that list is the full story. I think they have some lifts in those locations not every lane. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I booked a test and paid it in full - did it a few weeks ago and because if a headlamp broken got an unconditional fail sheet. When the lamp was replaced I expected to get a conditional pass sheet ( the fail being the ramp test not done) but they refused to give me this sheet BECAUSE i had booked for a few weeks ahead the full ramp test which was not available on the original booking. Which mean I would have a palaver if stopped by a guard and not be able to get an insurance quote.

I feel sorry for the girls on the phone but it really is a bloody disgrace. I have to have the car and am supposed to legally compliant but there is zero accommodation on not being able to get a quote because your NCT is out and if you are refused unsurance you are legally supposed to declare this as it is weighed against you on your quote policy. As usual the govt has a duty, responsibility and charge for everything in taxpayers but no accommodation for their own nonsense which is inflexible and shows no ability to adapt to the reality of what is happening. More stress and trouble for the overburdened taxpayer and citizens worried about keeping within the law and f* all accommodation, proactivity, problem solving or common sense . It really boils my blood.

I booked a test and paid it in full - did it a few weeks ago and because if a headlamp broken got an unconditional fail sheet. When the lamp was replaced I expected to get a conditional pass sheet ( the fail being the ramp test not done) but they refused to give me this sheet BECAUSE i had booked for a few weeks ahead the full ramp test which was not available on the original booking. Which mean I would have a palaver if stopped by a guard and not be able to get an insurance quote.

I feel sorry for the girls on the phone but it really is a bloody disgrace. I have to have the car and am supposed to legally compliant but there is zero accommodation on not being able to get a quote because your NCT is out and if you are refused unsurance you are legally supposed to declare this as it is weighed against you on your quote policy. As usual the govt has a duty, responsibility and charge for everything in taxpayers but no accommodation for their own nonsense which is inflexible and shows no ability to adapt to the reality of what is happening. More stress and trouble for the overburdened taxpayer and citizens worried about keeping within the law and f* all accommodation, proactivity, problem solving or common sense . It really boils my blood.

They should have stopped all ncts until the lifts are operational, half a test is good to no one. If applus lost their revenue stream I'd bet the issue would be fixed alot quicker. As it is theres no incentive for them to pay a premium to get repairs done or find alternative lifts as they still get their NCT fee regardless. It's a joke. As you said getting refused insurance is a black mark against you and makes it difficult to get a quote from any insurance company in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,142 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Car99 wrote: »
    They should have stopped all ncts until the lifts are operational, half a test is good to no one. If applus lost their revenue stream I'd bet the issue would be fixed alot quicker. As it is theres no incentive for them to pay a premium to get repairs done or find alternative lifts as they still get their NCT fee regardless. It's a joke. As you said getting refused insurance is a black mark against you and makes it difficult to get a quote from any insurance company in the future.
    That's scaremongering IMO. A refusal for not having a current NCT is a totally different scenario to the more usual reasons for a refusal, and it would be very surprising indeed if it had *any* repercussions regarding future quotations etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭User1998

You can just ring and ask “Is it possible to get an insurance quote on a car with a partial NCT test due to the current situation?”

That’s never going to go against you

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Deisekickboxing

Disgusting profiteering from NCTS running tests in the midst of this pandemic,
    1 infected persons vehicle can transfer virus to through contact footwear gloves clothing to the next innocent customer .......

Esel wrote: »
    That's scaremongering IMO. A refusal for not having a current NCT is a totally different scenario to the more usual reasons for a refusal, and it would be very surprising indeed if it had *any* repercussions regarding future quotations etc.

I'm not scare mongering and I'm not talking about a refused quote before you take out insurance, I'm talking about having insurance renewal being refused because you dont have a valid NCT try and explain to the person giving you a quote ticking boxes next time you try getting a quote . The have yes and no boxes to tick .

Car99 wrote: »
    I'm not scare mongering and I'm not talking about a refused quote before you take out insurance, I'm talking about having insurance renewal being refused because you dont have a valid NCT try and explain to the person giving you a quote ticking boxes next time you try getting a quote . The have yes and no boxes to tick .

I don't tick any boxes when renewing. You must be shopping around which new insurance policy not a renewal. In which case you should ring, so there are no boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Have mine on Thursday.. really expected them to be canceled... doesn’t seem safe having some one potentially sick in the car

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Have mine on Thursday.. really expected them to be canceled... doesn’t seem safe having some one potentially sick in the car

I've the lift test friday week. Seriously thinking of cancelling or deferring it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭MrsMcSteamy

I'm due my first nct by the end of this month. Holding off booking the car in as I'm skeptical about the whole thing. Will give it until the weekend and see from there if things have changed

The shambles rolls on...

So why don’t you cancel it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Mine expires at the end of this month, I will not be exposing myself and the car to possible contamination that clearly flies in the face of current health guidelines in order to obtain a piece of paper.

All bureaucracy that has no immediate need to be carried out should be postponed for the duration of this, an NCT is no more necessary than visiting a pub or coffee shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

My guess is that, until people are forbidden from driving, NCT is seen as a necessary element of ensuring that driving is safe. I've a test on Saturday and will go ahead with it with the greatest of unease and the most strict of precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

So why don’t you cancel it??

My NCT is out of date end of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 18,527 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hi all,
    NCT due to expire in a few days.
    Did the NCT back in Feb. It failed on headlight alignment and they didnt do the underbody inspection.
    I fixed the headlight myself (dodgy bulb). I tried initially to book a retest and underbody in Galway/Ballinasloe but could never get anyone on the Dublin number.
    Anyway between that an a few family emergencies that went on for a few weeks the 30 days expired in early March. So a full test is needed again (which is fine tbh) but
    1. I do not see any dates available anywhere locally anytime soon.
    2. There is still no level of clarification/communication from anyone on whether underbody is available and where it is available.
    3. The Coronavirus issue - it's a high risk location as far as I can see, so I am not gonna put myself in that area.

As such, I am probably going to leave it till things settle, take my chances. It's not likely will be using the car much anyway.
    I have to say though, the communication or lack thereof on this is appalling an the silence/lack of decision making re th coronavirus/underbody is ridiculous.

I'm the same. Struggled to get appointment after Xmas. Got one passed except the lift test. Then got a lift test and something was spotted that requires a new part and retest on the non lift part of the test that I'd already passed. Part replaced. But can't get a test.

The instruction at that time on the phone was they would be in touch. So in theory I should just wait for that despite my NCT being expired.

The new instruction on the website only is that they are working as normal and just doing social distancing. No mention about surfaces etc. Again poor communication.

Logically if there had been transmission by NCT through tracing it would have been shut down. But I'd like to hear that from a medical resource not some comment on a website from a service which I don't have any confidence in.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

kippy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    NCT due to expire in a few days.
    Did the NCT back in Feb. It failed on headlight alignment and they didnt do the underbody inspection.
    I fixed the headlight myself (dodgy bulb). I tried initially to book a retest and underbody in Galway/Ballinasloe but could never get anyone on the Dublin number.
    Anyway between that an a few family emergencies that went on for a few weeks the 30 days expired in early March. So a full test is needed again (which is fine tbh) but
    1. I do not see any dates available anywhere locally anytime soon.
    2. There is still no level of clarification/communication from anyone on whether underbody is available and where it is available.
    3. The Coronavirus issue - it's a high risk location as far as I can see, so I am not gonna put myself in that area.

As such, I am probably going to leave it till things settle, take my chances. It's not likely will be using the car much anyway.
    I have to say though, the communication or lack thereof on this is appalling an the silence/lack of decision making re th coronavirus/underbody is ridiculous.

All the information is on the nct website

• Advertisement

• Due to have the lift part of the NCT done. Rang up to book in and told no guarantee it'd be done in Waterford as only one lift in operation.

Advertisement