Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT discontinue lift inspections (now with places with working lifts)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

almostover wrote: »
    Girlfriend had her 04 Corrola in for NCT last night. No lift working. The handbrake cable snapped or became unmounted on one of the wheels during the test and now only have a handbrake on one wheel.

The handbrake cable was slack prior to the test and I adjusted it. Took it to a steep hill for a test run and the handbrake was so good that when applied on this step hill the two back wheels were locked as the car dragged down the hill slowly. They must be very severe on the handbrake during the test!!

Anyway all other tests passed with flying colours so will fix it up and get another year out of the car. Mighty little motor. But what galls me is that because it failed and the lifts couldn't be used we must pay €28 for re-inpsection including the checks on the lift and I'm presuming if any checks on the lift produce a fail it will be another €28 for a re-test again??? If they had any sense and wanted to keep the public onside, any fail in the portion of the test not performed on the lift should be repeated for free upon bring the car back for re-inpsection!!!

You knew the handbrake cable was faulty prior to the test... maybe you 'adjusted' it incorrectly...

Did the NCT say you HAVE to pay €28 for a retest
    Did you ask anyone at the NCT centre do you HAVE to pay €28 for a retest
    And if you did (ask them) why didn't you ask them WHY you have to pay for a retest when almost everyone in the country knows there is a problem with the test equipment.

Or do you just like venting on 'Boards'.....

I have a car being tested on Feb 13th next. I called into my test centre and asked them are the lifts working. They replied no, and they don't have a date for when they will be working.
    I asked them will I be charged for a retest...
    The answer was...
    If your car passes all the tests prior to the 'lift' test, you will not have to pay. If you car fails prior to the 'lift' test, and required a retest on this equipment...eg, brakes etc.... then you will have to pay.
    That's my answer there.... I would suggest people who are worried simply ask at the test centre...

This has all been handled so badly. An absolute ****show as far as communication goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

swarlb wrote: »
    You knew the handbrake cable was faulty prior to the test... maybe you 'adjusted' it incorrectly...

Did the NCT say you HAVE to pay €28 for a retest
    Did you ask anyone at the NCT centre do you HAVE to pay €28 for a retest
    And if you did (ask them) why didn't you ask them WHY you have to pay for a retest when almost everyone in the country knows there is a problem with the test equipment.

Or do you just like venting on 'Boards'.....

I have a car being tested on Feb 13th next. I called into my test centre and asked them are the lifts working. They replied no, and they don't have a date for when they will be working.
    I asked them will I be charged for a retest...
    The answer was...
    If your car passes all the tests prior to the 'lift' test, you will not have to pay. If you car fails prior to the 'lift' test, and required a retest on this equipment...eg, brakes etc.... then you will have to pay.
    That's my answer there.... I would suggest people who are worried simply ask at the test centre...

Yes the NCT fail very clearly states that €28 must be paid on re-test. I adjusted the handbrake by removing the centre console and winding the adjustment nut on the handbrake lever mechanism. Followed the instructions from my Haynes manual. I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic. The cable is 16years old and €40 so I've no issue replacing it.

What will really grind my gears is that the inspections carried out on the lift were not done and if one of them fails on re-test we will be another €28 out of pocket. I've no problem with the car needing repairs it's the multiple trips to the NCT centre and paying for multiple re-test because their equipment is faulty is what bugs me. The staff in the NCT centre hadn't a clue about re-test fees when I asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

fed_u wrote: »
    Test during the week.. Passed what they could inspect and was told my retest was free on account of the lift portion not being done - that was very nice of them :D

But it wouldn't be a retest. It would only be completing the part of the test you have already paid for but they were unable to do because of their faulty equipment.

I'm not sure if the smile is because you're happy they wouldn't charge you extra for doing their job or because you're joking that it's very nice of them not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Yes the NCT fail very clearly states that €28 must be paid on re-test. I adjusted the handbrake by removing the centre console and winding the adjustment nut on the handbrake lever mechanism. Followed the instructions from my Haynes manual. I'm a reasonably competent DIY mechanic. The cable is 16years old and €40 so I've no issue replacing it.

What will really grind my gears is that the inspections carried out on the lift were not done and if one of them fails on re-test we will be another €28 out of pocket. I've no problem with the car needing repairs it's the multiple trips to the NCT centre and paying for multiple re-test because their equipment is faulty is what bugs me. The staff in the NCT centre hadn't a clue about re-test fees when I asked them.

Id imagine the retest fee is for the rolling road part to test the handbrake again not for the use of the lift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Adjusting the nut at the centre console does absolutely zero for the handbrake. The only way the handbrake can be adjusted is by removing the discs and adjusting the shoes. What u should be doing is bringing the car to an actual mechanic who will fix the handbrake and explain to him that it’s going for retest and a full lift inspection. Whilst I wouldn’t expect all garage to have emission, brakes, shocks and side slip testers I would expect any competent mechanic to be able to find faults with a car pre nct like the lift inspection. Especially on a 04 corolla where they don’t give much trouble apart from flexi brake pipes and the odd broken spring. So it should only cost u one retest fee of €28.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

Passed mine yesterday but they said they couldn't inspect underneath car due to lifts not in service. They said to "keep an eye on the website" so it's up to the customer.There will be no emails or texts sent so if you miss it on their website it's the customers tough luck. Also when the comms go live you have to ring them for the remainder of the test and NOT apply online.

Adjusting the nut at the centre console does absolutely zero for the handbrake. The only way the handbrake can be adjusted is by removing the discs and adjusting the shoes. What u should be doing is bringing the car to an actual mechanic who will fix the handbrake and explain to him that it’s going for retest and a full lift inspection. Whilst I wouldn’t expect all garage to have emission, brakes, shocks and side slip testers I would expect any competent mechanic to be able to find faults with a car pre nct like the lift inspection. Especially on a 04 corolla where they don’t give much trouble apart from flexi brake pipes and the odd broken spring. So it should only cost u one retest fee of €28.

Easy there tiger, if the cable has become stretched or loose it can be adjusted from inside the cabin. Did you miss the part where I said I consulted a Haynes manual? I also adjusted the shoes outwards through the adjuster holes in the back break disks. These are break disks with internal drums.

The cable may have been knackered regardless. I find the actual mechanic statement a bit insulting. I have a 2 post lift in my shed and like I've said I'm a reasonable capable DIY mechanic. I've changed a clutch successfully on that same car for example. And I'm a degree qualified mechanical engineer so I do know what I'm looking at and I understand the limitations of my skill.

Now back to the point of my post, I just find it confusing and badly communicated that if another failure is found at re-test I may have to pay another re-test fee only because the NCT can't use their lifts. If another fail crops up on lift inspection I'd have had the opportunity to fix both fails for only one re-test fee but as the NCT lifts are decommissioned this may not be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Easy there tiger, if the cable has become stretched or loose it can be adjusted from inside the cabin. Did you miss the part where I said I consulted a Haynes manual? I also adjusted the shoes outwards through the adjuster holes in the back break disks. These are break disks with internal drums.

The cable may have been knackered regardless. I find the actual mechanic statement a bit insulting. I have a 2 post lift in my shed and like I've said I'm a reasonable capable DIY mechanic. I've changed a clutch successfully on that same car for example. And I'm a degree qualified mechanical engineer so I do know what I'm looking at and I understand the limitations of my skill.

Now back to the point of my post, I just find it confusing and badly communicated that if another failure is found at re-test I may have to pay another re-test fee only because the NCT can't use their lifts. If another fail crops up on lift inspection I'd have had the opportunity to fix both fails for only one re-test fee but as the NCT lifts are decommissioned this may not be the case.

A good mechanic would remove the discs and inspect the condition of the shoes. You said in your original post you adjusted the handbrake by tightening the nut at the centre console. My point was valid, this did not adjust the handbrake based on the info provided. My other point still stands, either bring it to a qualified mechanic that is able to check it out properly before it goes for its lift inspection and it should pass or else risk 2 x €28 fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Now back to the point of my post, I just find it confusing and badly communicated ....

Good luck with that...

Abysmal communication on a national issue....

• Advertisement

A good mechanic would remove the discs and inspect the condition of the shoes. You said in your original post you adjusted the handbrake by tightening the nut at the centre console. My point was valid, this did not adjust the handbrake based on the info provided. My other point still stands, either bring it to a qualified mechanic that is able to check it out properly before it goes for its lift inspection and it should pass or else risk 2 x €28 fees.

Look man, the handbrake lever had too much travel in it before engaging. There is a nut on the lever mechanism for remedying that exact issue. The lever could be pulled a decent distance before the shows would even move as the cable was slack. Totally different to the shoes having to move a longer distance due to worn shoes. But you seem to know better. I'm not here to debate how to adjust a handbrake so I won't be responding to anymore of your smarmy comments.

I'm voicing my displeasure at how the NCT has handled the lifts issue. Their communication has been poor and it is an inconvenience to users of their service.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭fed_u

But it wouldn't be a retest. It would only be completing the part of the test you have already paid for but they were unable to do because of their faulty equipment.
    I'm not sure if the smile is because you're happy they wouldn't charge you extra for doing their job or because you're joking that it's very nice of them not to.

Well exactly what he said was that my retest was free hence the smiley as technically iv already paid for my full test which includes the lift..

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Jsman11

So basically I had my car fail for a couple things imbalance on the front axle and warn wishbone bushes. Went for the retest and that was at the start of all this jazz. They put it through and it passed the imbalance but failed on the bushes again because they couldn't check underneath. Today is the last day I have it retested. I booked so many times and it kept getting cancelled on me. I booked it last night and obviously they must not work weekends because I managed to go the whole day without being cancelled. Went up to Northpoint 1 for my appointment they said they have no lift but go down to Northpoint 2 they have a lift and it will be a bit of a wait but it will get done. So basically flew through and finally got it passed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭honda boi

Jsman11 wrote: »
    So basically I had my car fail for a couple things imbalance on the front axle and warn wishbone bushes. Went for the retest and that was at the start of all this jazz. They put it through and it passed the imbalance but failed on the bushes again because they couldn't check underneath. Today is the last day I have it retested. I booked so many times and it kept getting cancelled on me. I booked it last night and obviously they must not work weekends because I managed to go the whole day without being cancelled. Went up to Northpoint 1 for my appointment they said they have no lift but go down to Northpoint 2 they have a lift and it will be a bit of a wait but it will get done. So basically flew through and finally got it passed!!!
    So there's lifts available to the average motorists?

honda boi wrote: »
    So there's lifts available to the average motorists?

Yeah I'm not a taxi or I don't have a driving test. I'm not sure if I just got lucky or because my retest had to be done today so they just did it but it was busy up there and not everyone was a taxi driver

Jsman11 wrote: »

Did you have to pay for both re-tests?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Ramp test should have been free as it should not matter what nct centre it was done in as it states it is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

Just passed retest this evening. Had first retest cancelled the day they suspended lift tests. I was already couple of days overdue not sure that made a difference but I just chanced booking it online during the week for this weekend. (Just ordinary motorist here too)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just passed retest this evening. Had first retest cancelled the day they suspended lift tests. I was already couple of days overdue not sure that made a difference but I just chanced booking it online during the week for this weekend. (Just ordinary motorist here too)

Just to be clear:

1. Did your retest require the use of a lift?
    2. Were you in one of the test centres listed on the NCTS website as having working lifts?

Did you have to pay for both re-tests?

No because they cancelled the first retest on me and said they would do it free of charge at a later date. And the second one was just to finish it off really so they couldn't charge me for that. So on the bright side I saved 28 euro on the retest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Which centers did you pass the lift tests in?

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

jprboy wrote: »
    Just to be clear:

1. Did your retest require the use of a lift?
    2. Were you in one of the test centres listed on the NCTS website as having working lifts?

Yes needed lift for retest and it was in Deansgrange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Any update on waterford ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Minime2.5 wrote: »
    Any update on waterford ?

You'll just have to keep an eye here for updates:

https://www.ncts.ie/1115

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Information on the NCT site is wrong. I booked and took my car to Little Island to get the underbody inspection done. I booked last week for Saturday. I turned up and was told the test was cancelled as the lifts were still inoperable. No one bothered to call me or email to cancel, the handling of it is a joke.

beauf wrote: »
    Which centers did you pass the lift tests in?

Mine was in Northpoint 2 in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

I am just outside Northpoint 1 now. Got told my appointment at half 12 for the lift inspection has been cancelled.

But was also told that if I'm okay with it, they can book me in for this evening at Northpoint 1 itself. Was cool with me since I live locally. So hope it's still on when I show up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Fonthill has one lift in operation, bit of a queue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭zepman

zepman wrote: »
    I am just outside Northpoint 1 now. Got told my appointment at half 12 for the lift inspection has been cancelled.

But was also told that if I'm okay with it, they can book me in for this evening at Northpoint 1 itself. Was cool with me since I live locally. So hope it's still on when I show up later.

Went down at 5pm and was sent over to Northpoint 2. Was a bit of a queue there. Took about 20 minutes for my car to be picked up, but once in, the test was done in 5 minutes. Passed. Glad I got it over with today. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Called NOT this morning, phone doesn't even ring, very poor show

Advertisement