Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    True, surely the LS couldn't actually book venues etc. when its very unlikely that all counties would move back to level 2 after the 4 weeks

Hopefully some clarity will come our way v soon from the LS.

I don't fancy spending the next 3-4 weeks scrutinising and panicking over daily figures and whether the exams will actually go ahead

(btw I am keeping things in perspective and obviously this is a very challenging time for healthcare staff and those immunocompromised etc. but this is just an added stress which none of us need)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

dobby896 wrote: »
    Hopefully some clarity will come our way v soon from the LS.

I don't fancy spending the next 3-4 weeks scrutinising and panicking over daily figures and whether the exams will actually go ahead

(btw I am keeping things in perspective and obviously this is a very challenging time for healthcare staff and those immunocompromised etc. but this is just an added stress which none of us need)

I agree, as bad as it is there are people with mortgages etc who haven’t worked in months so it’s important to keep it in perspective.
    But I find myself refreshing twitter every few minutes to see if there’s an update and the sense of worry and stress of studying for something that might not happen has impacted my study and my mental health too, hopefully not alone on that one. Would really hope the law society have an answer ready soon

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Why are the Law Society not allowed to run socially distant exams in multiple venues with low numbers, when schools are teaching classes with 30 plus students in them?
    I sat the socially distant August exams and felt perfectly safe. Is there some distinction in the government’s rules between educational exams such as the FE1s and classroom teaching?
    I can appreciate the multiple difficulties associated with organising online FE1 exams, due to the number of people registered, but I don’t see why the Law Society aren’t allowed to conduct an even more controlled version of the August sittings, when schools are fully operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

Pengo11 wrote: »
    I agree, as bad as it is there are people with mortgages etc who haven’t worked in months so it’s important to keep it in perspective.
    But I find myself refreshing twitter every few minutes to see if there’s an update and the sense of worry and stress of studying for something that might not happen has impacted my study and my mental health too, hopefully not alone on that one. Would really hope the law society have an answer ready soon

You're definitely not alone in that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

Frankly, while nothing would surprise me at this point, I can't imagine that given this extension of restrictions, the plans of the LS to hold exams come week 1 of November still stand? This is purely speculation on my part but I got the impression that the dates they had set out, following the initial Level 3 announcement a few weeks ago, were subject to restrictions being reduced following the 3 week period. Given that the restrictions have now been extended this surely throws their predicted dates for examination off course?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 YcL

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    Why are the Law Society not allowed to run socially distant exams in multiple venues with low numbers, when schools are teaching classes with 30 plus students in them?
    I sat the socially distant August exams and felt perfectly safe. Is there some distinction in the government’s rules between educational exams such as the FE1s and classroom teaching?
    I can appreciate the multiple difficulties associated with organising online FE1 exams, due to the number of people registered, but I don’t see why the Law Society aren’t allowed to conduct an even more controlled version of the August sittings, when schools are fully operating.

Agree 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Fe1erere

AlexTG356 wrote: »

Well put Alex.

I have to echo the above sentiment.

I sat the August sittings and felt very safe, it was extremely well organised and I would be more than happy to proceed in November as long as the restrictions do not increase to level 4 or beyond.

Allow Fe1 candidates to sit the November sittings if they wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Fe1erere wrote: »
    Well put Alex.

I sat the August sittings and felt very safe, it was extremely well organised and I would be more than happy to proceed in November as long as the restrictions do not increase to level 4 or beyond.

I agree however logistically and according to restrictions no indoor gatherings can happen at level 3 or above

I agree however logistically and according to restrictions no indoor gatherings can happen at level 3 or above

How do schools operate under levels 3,4 /5?

Schools stay open ( we will probably see schools close if we move to level 5 due to union pressure and risks)

We’re not a school or a college technically

We’re external people sitting exams made by the law society

Colleges and further education can go ahead but they have agreed to hold nearly everything online due to possible transmission rates

The only way they can go ahead in level 3 or above is online and we apparently can’t do that

• Advertisement

Schools remain in operation under levels 3,4 or 5.

In any event, you agree so we are on the same page.

Having postponed the sittings because of level 3 previously, I’m not sure if the law society would be willing to put them on this time around in level 3. If that’s the case could we not have just sat them originally this month? I’d love them to go ahead but at the same time would also be frustrating if they’re only now committed to a sitting at level 3 lol

Having postponed the sittings because of level 3 previously, I’m not sure if the law society would be willing to put them on this time around in level 3. If that’s the case could we not have just sat them originally this month? I’d love them to go ahead but at the same time would also be frustrating if they’re only now committed to a sitting at level 3 lol

Perhaps they had little time to prepare for the lvl 3 measures that came into effect before the October sitting?

I'll gladly sit them in November and get over the previous postponement.

See below from Gov.ie, level 3:

"Further, higher and adult education to escalate all appropriate protective measures and limit congregation as far as possible."

We certainly fall into the education sector as above so if there is a will to sit these exams I'm sure it can be put into effect.

Nationwide Level 3 in place until October 27th.

I really sincerely hope that the LS don't just adopt a "wait and see approach" and give us some clarity ASAP.

Don't wait to be biting our nails for the next few weeks.

Well put Alex.

I sat in one of the Cork venues and while I felt ok due to the social distancing and thankfully lower numbers in August, there was no enforcement of mask wearing in the hall. I’m sure if you tried enter without one you would be stopped, but once we were seated there was a number of people had them around their chin/removed their mask completely

I sat in one of the Cork venues and while I felt ok due to the social distancing and thankfully lower numbers in August, there was no enforcement of mask wearing in the hall. I’m sure if you tried enter without one you would be stopped, but once we were seated there was a number of people had them around their chin/removed their mask completely

Not saying I wouldn’t sit them if we were permitted - the delays are very stressful. But just a point to be made that the LS may need stricter invigilators/enforcement of proper mask wearing :/

I sat them in the LS and we were told we didn’t have to wear them whilst doing the exam

dobby896 wrote: »
    Nationwide Level 3 in place until October 27th.

I really sincerely hope that the LS don't just adopt a "wait and see approach" and give us some clarity ASAP.

Don't wait to be biting our nails for the next few weeks.

Thanks for this. Where did you find this can I ask? Can’t see anything atm

Me either
    There hasn’t been an announcement yet so nothing is confirmed

I’d say it’ll be at 9

My primary source is currently Richard Chambers on Twitter lol

He is reliable though, everything he says does seem to be always accurate

• Advertisement

Ok, so you had a poor experience as the protocols weren't followed. They should have worn the mask for the duration of the exam. This should be brought up with the law society prior to the next sitting there.

In my experience the RDS was very safe. Parking arrangements were sensible, everyone wore their masks for the full 3 hours and everyone was observed sterilising their hands upon entry and exit to their exam hall. The organisers minimised parties crossing paths as much as possible and I felt safe.

They'll need to mirror my experience if November can proceed

Taoiseach is making the announcement at 9 !

Ok, so you had a poor experience as the protocols weren't followed. They should have worn the mask for the duration of the exam. This should be brought up with the law society prior to the next sitting there.

In my experience the RDS was very safe. Parking arrangements were sensible, everyone wore their masks for the full 3 hours and everyone was observed sterilising their hands upon entry and exit to their exam hall. The organisers minimised parties crossing paths as much as possible and I felt safe.

They'll need to mirror my experience if November can proceed

Yes your experience seems far better! Have to admit if it was mentioned we didn’t have to wear masks as someone mentioned above - I think I would leave the exam hall :(

Yes your experience seems far better! Have to admit if it was mentioned we didn’t have to wear masks as someone mentioned above - I think I would leave the exam hall :(

It really was and that gives me confidence that it could be safely replicated.

It clearly said in the exam pack sent out to everyone, on the letter, that masks should be worn throughout the exam 👠yeah the invigilators should have clamped down on people taking them off or not wearing them correctly, poor on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

I sat them in the LS and we were told we didn’t have to wear them whilst doing the exam

It was the same in my exam hall, I had a different invigilator for both exams and each time they announced to us that we could take off our masks if we wanted to, despite no one even asking if we could take them off.

That being said, I would still sit them in November if we can just to get them over with, the delays are just so disheartening

Also really hoping they find a way to let us sit them in November, it would be awful if they were postponed again.
    But if the whole country is in level 3 we will not be able to travel between counties, so I can't see how they could go ahead with a physical sitting, unless they managed to sort a venue in each county (which would also prevent larger gatherings at venues), but I think that's highly unlikely.

Regardless, the LSI need to put contingencies in place, as said above they cannot adopt a 'wait and see' approach yet again, we need some clarity as they delays and uncertainty are very unfair on candidates.

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Also really hoping they find a way to let us sit them in November, it would be awful if they were postponed again.
    But if the whole country is in level 3 we will not be able to travel between counties, so I can't see how they could go ahead with a physical sitting, unless they managed to sort a venue in each county (which would also prevent larger gatherings at venues), but I think that's highly unlikely.

Regardless, the LSI need to put contingencies in place, as said above they cannot adopt a 'wait and see' approach yet again, we need some clarity as they delays and uncertainty are very unfair on candidates.

Level 3 allows travel for essential journeys so that includes education so people can travel

Level 3 allows travel for essential journeys so that includes education so people can travel

I would have considered travelling to these exams an essential journey too, but apparently when the restrictions came in for Kildare, Laois and Offaly the Law Society emailed people in those 3 counties telling them not to come to the exam, even though people from those counties were still permitted to travel for essential reasons and essential work

Of course it's different now with the restrictions on every county, so I guess the Law Society will have to make a decision on that. At the end of the day we would only be travelling up for a couple of days, so hopefully they will find a way to let them go ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Really don’t fancy holding my breath watching case numbers for the next 3 weeks..

• Advertisement

Will the law society give an update do we think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement