Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

I’ve tried ringing the law society but it’s as if they’re playing hot potato with me and bouncing me around different lines until I eventually hang up. Is an email even worth it or should I continue to try to ring?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jdharte

I rang them and got the same answer as before. They were told today they couldn't hold a physical sitting and are looking into an online one. They didn't know anything else . Announcement end of the week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Jdharte wrote: »
    I rang them and got the same answer as before. They were told today they couldn't hold a physical sitting and are looking into an online one. They didn't know anything else . Announcement end of the week

Website has changed to mention that

Says we won’t know more till next week

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

So beyond relieved that we have been given some clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 michaelot97

I can't see anything about this on the website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DFMCD190384

Sorry but where did you see the website changed? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bkm2020

They have put the update in the News section, not where the helpline info was!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Why can't they tell us if they'll be held on the same dates or postponed. I'm so fed up with this drip-feeding of information.

It reads as follows

"The Law Society is working to organise an online examination for the November 2020 FE-1 sitting.

Given the announcement by the Government on 5 October that the country is to move to Level 3 of its Plan for Living with Covid-19 for the next three weeks, the Law Society of Ireland has decided that it will not be possible to hold a physical sitting of the Final Examination First Part ('FE-1') in November.

A decision to hold a physical examination was dependent on the country remaining at or below Level 2 of the Plan for Living with Covid-19.

The Law Society is continuing work on the provision of an online examination and further information will provided early next week."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

Next week that’s not good enough decision should be made to day.....we having been living with Covid for months now it’s not a new event....they’ve informed and prepared for PPC to go online I don’t know why they can’t make a decision today for Fe1 students why aren’t we treated in the same way......I feel shafted compared to other professions

• Advertisement

In the news category

Law20213 wrote: »
    Next week that’s not good enough decision should be made to day.....we having been living with Covid for months now it’s not a new event....they’ve informed and prepared for PPC to go online I don’t know why they can’t make a decision today for Fe1 students why aren’t we treated in the same way......I feel shafted compared to other professions

I'm reasonably content to wait a few days for a decision but not until early next week. That's a bit ridiculous.

I agree it gives little time for me
    To prepare to find somewhere to sit the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Twinings2016

Agreed, and with trying to organise study-leave with work, it's a nightmare.

I can't even tell work what dates I need off, at this rate it looks like I'll have to give them a days notice.

It's simply not enough time.

So frustrated with the LS, I was chatting with a lady only last week who said it would be impossible to go online. So honestly who knows at this stage what's going to happen. So stressful.

I'm reasonably content to wait a few days for a decision but not until early next week. That's a bit ridiculous.

All I want to know rn is whether it'll still be the first week of November

Agreed, and with trying to organise study-leave with work, it's a nightmare.

I can't even tell work what dates I need off, at this rate it looks like I'll have to give them a days notice.

It's simply not enough time.

So frustrated with the LS, I was chatting with a lady only last week who said it would be impossible to go online. So honestly who knows at this stage what's going to happen. So stressful.

They have nothing planned - from the update it just says they’re still trying to organize one so it could not even happen

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Anyone know in what format the PPC exams were conducted online? Was it a normal online exam with an invigilator or was it 24hr open book (like some other institutions have done)?

dobby896 wrote: »
    It reads as follows

"The Law Society is working to organise an online examination for the November 2020 FE-1 sitting.

Given the announcement by the Government on 5 October that the country is to move to Level 3 of its Plan for Living with Covid-19 for the next three weeks, the Law Society of Ireland has decided that it will not be possible to hold a physical sitting of the Final Examination First Part ('FE-1') in November.

A decision to hold a physical examination was dependent on the country remaining at or below Level 2 of the Plan for Living with Covid-19.

The Law Society is continuing work on the provision of an online examination and further information will provided early next week."

Law society basically said we might have something lined up we will let you know next week maybe.
    Bollox to that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

It’s not an unreasonable request if you’ve had your exams cancelled in March And oct sitting you know the feeling of never ending uncertainty, it’s very difficult to focus and study....but I do wish I had more patience.....fed up of it

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

F*** this! Early next week haha okay let me just waste yet another week of study stressed over the uncertainty of it all. Fml.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 7 Verified rep LawSocIreland

Good afternoon,

We are able to share some information on plans regarding the November 2020 sitting.

The Law Society is continuing work on the provision of an online examination and further information will provided early next week.

As always, the Society is very grateful for the continuing patience of current FE-1 students while we seek to provide the FE-1 safely.

It’s not an unreasonable request if you’ve had your exams cancelled in March And oct sitting you know the feeling of never ending uncertainty, it’s very difficult to focus and study....but I do wish I had more patience.....fed up of it

Absolutely! Since the announcement of the October postponement I have had no motivation to do anything. Can't see myself getting anything done whilst waiting for this next announcement. Early next week is too far away, should definitely be by the end of this week at the latest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ianmc97

Good afternoon,

We are able to share some information on plans regarding the November 2020 sitting.

The Law Society is continuing work on the provision of an online examination and further information will provided early next week.

As always, the Society is very grateful for the continuing patience of current FE-1 students while we seek to provide the FE-1 safely.

can you confirm if it is to be held online it will still be the first week of november or would it be at a slightly later date ?

Good afternoon,

I had no idea you watch this thread. Please pay no attention to me calling you a bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

Disgraceful ..so we are 4/5 weeks away from a potential exam being held online and we have to wait another 7 days to find out !!! Even if they said any potential sitting would be pushed out by 6 weeks so we could all relax and take a week or two off and park it mentally for now. Was there ever a plan b here ? Should we do something collectively?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭SKLaw

Good afternoon,

Is it possible to know if it will still be the first week of November or if it will be pushed to a later date? It’s just there are quite a few of us who need to sort out wifi/laptop and time off from work

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Jenosul

ruby1998 wrote: »
    F*** this! Early next week haha okay let me just waste yet another week of study stressed over the uncertainty of it all. Fml.

I agree. The stress of both the exams and future availability of contracts as well as the virus itself it definitely impacting study. All for exams many current solicitors did not have to sit and would definitely not ever want to which is usually their response to me! The lack of clarity is unacceptable. It was fairly predictable that winter would pose issues for sittings. Alternative arrangements and discussions should have taken place already. Mental health and stress seems to be a real running theme and needs to be at least acknowledged by the LS.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

If you could please confirm the earliest date , potentially that an online exam could be held that would be much appreciated. I think people main concern is having a short lead time up to the exam. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Good afternoon,

I can only speak for myself here but this update is not sufficient given this can no longer be considered an unprecedented situation.
    It was always improbable that in-person exams would be able to go ahead. An alternative arrangement should have been organised after the August sitting as in-person sittings for October was overtly ambitious. To still not have an update on these alternative arrangement, four weeks from the date these exams are due to take place is incredulous. At the very least you should inform people if these online exams will take place in the originally scheduled November dates so candidates can have the maximum time to secure leave from work or appropriate settings for these online exams.

Again, I only speak for myself, but this is has left a very sour taste of this professional body and I don't think many of us will forget this treatment throughout our careers as solicitors.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 7 Verified rep LawSocIreland

Ianmc97 wrote: »
    can you confirm if it is to be held online it will still be the first week of november or would it be at a slightly later date ?
    SKLaw wrote: »
    Is it possible to know if it will still be the first week of November or if it will be pushed to a later date? It’s just there are quite a few of us who need to sort out wifi/laptop and time off from work

Hello,

Unfortunately we cannot confirm the schedule for the sitting at this time . However, we will do so next week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement