Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,719 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

The week doesn't end until Sunday at 00:00.

Don't hold your breath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Online sitting is my worst nightmare but glad to know they’re trying to figure something out 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

At this point, while I understand it may not be ideal or feasible for some people, I am glad the LS have given some thought to online sittings. I'd rather take my chances sitting them in any form at this stage than for the prolonged uncertainty to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

I received a payment link on Thursday but I’ve been holding off paying on the basis that they might not go ahead and then the effort of chasing a refund, does anyone know if there’s a time frame you have to pay by?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Ah ok at least there is some hope! Now to make up for the last couple of weeks of ~extremely~ poor study I’ve put in

• Advertisement

I wish they could confirm whether they can do online or not and not tell some they can’t but others that they’re looking !

I definitely need time to prepare for online haha I’ll have to get a new laptop and look for somewhere to sit the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

I wish they could confirm whether they can do online or not and not tell some they can’t but others that they’re looking !

I definitely need time to prepare for online haha I’ll have to get a new laptop and look for somewhere to sit the exams

Same, my internet is in a bad way atm definitely need time to sort everything if they’re going to be online.

ruby1998 wrote: »
    Same, my internet is in a bad way atm definitely need time to sort everything if they’re going to be online.

Oh I won’t be able to sit them in my house at all our internet is awful

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

I know all the mixed messages are adding to the stress. Maybe now they have come to terms that there is no other option at this stage.

HU123 wrote: »
    I know all the mixed messages are adding to the stress. Maybe now they have come to terms that there is no other option at this stage.

Yes but just don’t see how they can say three weeks ago they’ve looked and no company can take the amount of students and now say they’re looking at online

In one sense I feel like they’re just saying it to shut us up

Now unless they’ve decided to break into groups and go with different companies possibly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

Yes but just don’t see how they can say three weeks ago they’ve looked and no company can take the amount of students and now say they’re looking at online

In one sense I feel like they’re just saying it to shut us up

Now unless they’ve decided to break into groups and go with different companies possibly

It is just adding to the uncertainty/stress. They already informed us they were not going online now an above poster was informed they are looking into it didn't they say they already did? So where does this leave those with no proper facilities to sit online and at a very limited notice.

Announcement needs to be made soon....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 emily987

I think it was that they couldn't arrange to go online in time for October sitting but they didn't rule it out completely, so maybe they've found a company now

emily987 wrote: »
    I think it was that they couldn't arrange to go online in time for October sitting but they didn't rule it out completely, so maybe they've found a company now

Someone else was told they were ruled out completely due to the amount of us! This was like last week or so

Just a lot of inconsistencies with what they’re telling people

They have the same amount of time to organize as they did with the last announcement so I’m not holding on to much hope tbh 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭FE1new

It is just adding to the uncertainty/stress. They already informed us they were not going online now an above poster was informed they are looking into it didn't they say they already did? So where does this leave those with no proper facilities to sit online and at a very limited notice.

Announcement needs to be made soon....

Completely agree. My work is starting to make noise about the time off. I had this week off but cancelled it for 1st week in November. They have already been onto me asking if I need to cancel that as other people have annual leave around that time booked and I may not get it. I really need to know what's happening one way or the other.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

For online exams to be a success, with this number of people, spanning 8 exams, they would have to be seriously well organised and would want to have some pretty good infrastructure in place.

AlexTG356 wrote: »
    For online exams to be a success, with this number of people, spanning 8 exams, they would have to be seriously well organised and would want to have some pretty good infrastructure in place.

Definitely won’t work the way they did the August online ones with people scanning their paper with an app

FE1new wrote: »
    Completely agree. My work is starting to make noise about the time off. I had this week off but cancelled it for 1st week in November. They have already been onto me asking if I need to cancel that as other people have annual leave around that time booked and I may not get it. I really need to know what's happening one way or the other.

That’s a nightmare tbh

They really need to start communicating better
    Could you ask your firm to ring and see what they story is ? They may be willing to tell firms more than us

But maybe not haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sarahlawless

FE1new wrote: »

I am in the exact same position as you, work pissed off and I need clarity asap to organise leave, cover etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭AlexTG356

Definitely won’t work the way they did the August online ones with people scanning their paper with an app

Would even be more concerned with how they would remotely invigilate it with so many people. I’ve heard that remote invigilation is effective. But they would want a lot of invigilators or a good system in place, due to the numbers involved with this sitting. Unless they are considering doing open book 24hr exams, but they haven’t given us any information on whether this is even an option and I doubt it is.

Would even be more concerned with how they would remotely invigilate it with so many people. I’ve heard that remote invigilation is effective. But they would want a lot of invigilators or a good system in place, due to the numbers involved with this sitting. Unless they are considering doing open book 24hr exams, but they haven’t given us any information on whether this is even an option and I doubt it is.

There was over 2000 people registered for the August exams and they was only two of them so if it’s the same that’s around 1000 or so per exam they’d need a lot of invigilators

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Is this something people reckon could be achieved by the end of the week? Having ruled them out completely, and then having had so much time to sort a provider I just don’t understand how one will be found within the next 3 days

• Registered Users Posts: 2 melodrama

Hi all. I'm a freelance journalist looking to cover the postponed Fe1 exams and communication by the Law Society. If anyone would like to go on the record (named or anonymously) about the issue just send me a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ScatmanWhack

Imagine the Law Society just went back to accepting that if you had done a qualifying law degree with the required subjects, you wouldn't have to sit the FE1s and could just start your traineeship. Life would be so much easier for a lot of us.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/students-challenge-to-change-in-law-society-exam-rules-rejected-1.67434

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Imagine the Law Society just went back to accepting that if you had done a qualifying law degree with the required subjects, you wouldn't have to sit the FE1s and could just start your traineeship. Life would be so much easier for a lot of us.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/students-challenge-to-change-in-law-society-exam-rules-rejected-1.67434

I remember seeing this fact for the first time about 5 years ago. To this day it still hurts.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I always thought it was stupid. With the accountancy exams you can get exemptions when you got the 50% mark in college from whatever subjects you did. Don't understand why I have to sit 5 exams I have already passed previously with the exact same standard required of me.

Lallers96 wrote: »
    I always thought it was stupid. With the accountancy exams you can get exemptions when you got the 50% mark in college from whatever subjects you did. Don't understand why I have to sit 5 exams I have already passed previously with the exact same standard required of me.

Same

I’ve sat all of these subjects in college and passed them all so it’s very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

I really hope they have the sense to announce this week it's going online. That way it's foolproof if we go to level 4 or 5 it doesn't matter we can still sit them in November. Although I hope they don't have us scanning our pages via phone that's incredibly stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Hazel774

Same

I’ve sat all of these subjects in college and passed them all so it’s very annoying

Not to mention that for some of them we've even passed an exam set by the same examiner in college

Hazel774 wrote: »
    Not to mention that for some of them we've even passed an exam set by the same examiner in college

True nearly forgot that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Law20213

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I remember seeing this fact for the first time about 5 years ago. To this day it still hurts.

The U.K. don’t have any Fe1s you just do a law degree and then to qualify sit 1 year LPC Course which is the equivalent to the PPC1 & 2........I don’t know why it’s not the same in Ireland probably to do with money of course, elitism and the above case in 95....just pity really.

We need clarity from the law society on the nov sitting ASAP....I do think if they exams go online we’re going to need few more weeks to get our technology in place the first week
    Nov is too short deadline....I need new laptop and better Wi-fi for one!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement