Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FE1 Exam Thread (Read 1st post!) NOTE: YOU MAY SWAP EXAM GRIDS

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Fe1student1234

Hopefully we find out today what the story is !

My motivation is completely gone can’t seem to study at all but I really have to 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

PPC1 exams are being held online ...so hopefully the same can be done for the FE1s. I guess it depends on the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭rickmatt

Is the nutshell for Constitutional law worth getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CoconutHeadMia

Can anyone explain why the exams cannot be held online? Other professions have gone online like the chartered accountant exams, kings inn etc so not sure why law society are reluctant to do that

Can anyone explain why the exams cannot be held online? Other professions have gone online like the chartered accountant exams, kings inn etc so not sure why law society are reluctant to do that

They said there’s too many of us and no company has the capability of hosting us

I don’t think the law society are reluctant they just can’t find a company to host us

• Advertisement

PPC1 exams are being held online ...so hopefully the same can be done for the FE1s. I guess it depends on the numbers.

They’ve told people the FE1s will not be online - ppc2 was online also but FE1s still we’re in person in August

They said it’s highly unlikely a company will be found between now and November :(

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Vegetarian2017

The law society already confirmed they wont due to the numbers and lack of facilities. The possibility for online fe1s will be next year at the earliest, if at all.

Hopefully the law society will confirm after the announcement a later date for the exams this year (late November/early December). No doubt late entry will be permitted for Hybrid applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 HU123

They’ve told people the FE1s will not be online - ppc2 was online also but FE1s still we’re in person in August

They said it’s highly unlikely a company will be found between now and November :(

I wonder have they considered getting two different companies.

HU123 wrote: »
    I wonder have they considered getting two different companies.

No idea

They probably haven’t

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

All I'm hoping for is some form of Government announcement this evening and an update from the Law Society asap after that.

Being in limbo is honestly so demotivating, not even just from a study point of view, generally also.

• Advertisement

No idea

They probably haven’t

Also may need to make multiple papers to accommodate staggered online sittings if no company can host all FE1s at once 🀷ðŸ»*♀️

Also may need to make multiple papers to accommodate staggered online sittings if no company can host all FE1s at once 🀷ðŸ»*♀️

Yeah they probably don’t want that tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

I don't find the argument that they just can't find a company very persuasive considering it's been half a year and there's an abundance of companies and methods available at the moment to facilitate online exams.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    I don't find the argument that they just can't find a company very persuasive considering it's been half a year and there's an abundance of companies and methods available at the moment to facilitate online exams.

Idk i don’t see the benefit of lying and saying they can’t find a company if they haven’t tried

There’s obviously just too many people registered per exam

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Lawlaw12

At this stage could they not just do it online but leave it open book, yes more people might pass that way but I'm sure they could afford to have one sitting with higher pass rates. Then they wouldn't necessarily need a company to supervise us by webcam etc.
    We were left in limbo for 5 months last time and I cannot imagine having that situation again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 LawStudent999

I definitely share the feeling of lack of motivation as many others here. While I understand that everything is up in a heap, a part of me does feel a certain amount of annoyance at the Law Society. From my perspective there have been many junctures so far at which the law society needed to put contingencies in place and failed to do so, other than supposing the exams be held at later dates. It just seems as though there is an underestimation by the LS as to the importance of sitting the exams for many people, especially those under time pressure in relation to starting hybrid courses, training contracts etc.

Surely if they have been in a position of uncertainty since after the March sitting, they could have commenced discussing alternatives other than just simply postponing every time a sitting doesn't suit. Even from this forum alone there have been some very feasible alternatives put forward that the LS don't even seem to have considered amongst themselves.

Hopefully some clarity is coming soon for us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Dliodoir2021

rickmatt wrote: »
    Is the nutshell for Constitutional law worth getting?

If you're a first/second year student.

Get the supreme court book by ruadhan mccormaic

Use twitter to follow const'l academics, get their blog posts and email them for articles

I wonder has anyone heard anything or been in contact with the law society

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭IgoPAP

Government rejects Nphet guidance to move to Level 5. We're staying at Level 3 in Dublin.

IgoPAP wrote: »
    Government rejects Nphet guidance to move to Level 5. We're staying at Level 3 in Dublin.

Apparently it will be level 3 nationwide, so no travel between counties.
    Hopefully it will only last the 4 weeks and we can still sit the exams at some point in November

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭lsheehaneire

and we are meeting ye up there from Cork ...oh jesus, now where do we stand? A hope that we will all be at level 3 in 4 weeks??

Lawlaw12 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will only last the 4 weeks and we can still sit the exams at some point in November

Where did yous see this ? I’ve only saw there’s a meeting at half 5 to decide whether or not to go with the recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ruby1998

Really hope there’s some indication as to where we stand given this evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭maggie95

Where did yous see this ? I’ve only saw there’s a meeting at half 5 to decide whether or not to go with the recommendations

It's on the Journal's live updates

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pengo11

Richard Chambers has details on his twitter, few RTÉ sources have tweeted it as well that level 5 looks off the cards and everyone comes into level 3
    What do people think this means for exams? Still not possible to go ahead under level 3?

Any one else think a national move to Level 3 is the worst case scenario for us as the LS will continue to hope to hold the exams in a month with a drop to Level 2? (but it is very very unlikely for this to happen)
    At least with Level 4 or 5 it would knock them on the head and alternative arrangements could be made asap

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dobby896

Lawlaw12 wrote: »

If it does last the 4 weeks (from midnight tonight), that'll bring us right up to the day the exams start, imagine the panic of the next 4 weeks wondering if they will go ahead lol

Pengo11 wrote: »
    Richard Chambers has details on his twitter, few RTÉ sources have tweeted it as well that level 5 looks off the cards and everyone comes into level 3
    What do people think this means for exams? Still not possible to go ahead under level 3?

Thank you !!

No they were postponed due to level 3 in Dublin so that’s the start of November out of the question

dobby896 wrote: »
    If it does last the 4 weeks (from midnight tonight), that'll bring us right up to the day the exams start, imagine the panic of the next 4 weeks wondering if they will go ahead lol

True, surely the LS couldn't actually book venues etc. when its very unlikely that all counties would move back to level 2 after the 4 weeks

• Advertisement

Thank you !!

No they were postponed due to level 3 in Dublin so that’s the start of November out of the question

You're right I think. On the LS website it says "Subject to any extension of the Level 3 status, or any other public health guidance/restrictions yet to be announced, the FE-1 sitting will commence in the first week of November 2020", given there's an extension and expansion of Level 3, start of November is out of question

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement