Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

The first analysis said Miriam nailed Mary Lou to the wall twice.....criminal court and Quinn. Another on panel said she doesn't want her three kids paying for SF uncosted policies.

All bar one were party hacks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

The UCD students thought Mary Lou was the best, RTE thought she was the best too....

I don't get it, am I missing something,
    Why was she the winner?

As a student of UCD myself please take their opinion with a grain of salt.

If they had a paper cut out of Eamon Ryan on tonight’s debate they would probably claim he won.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

They were party faithful, the woman on her own in red was a neutral, political scientist.

First lady was a journalist. She wasn't on panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭jos28

Jizique wrote: »
    It’s just like MM walked away 9 years ago and after the bail out and the cleanup, he is coming back for a second go at destroying the economy

TV3 need to show all 3 episodes of this tomorrow night just to remind the electorate.

The Rise and Fall of Fianna Fáil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCiVSnoCnY

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The UCD students thought Mary Lou was the best, RTE thought she was the best too....

Why was she the winner?

She was also a green and Mary Lou clearly had the worst green policy. You've to remember she has a vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

I would say my perfectionism is my Achilles heel

My greatest virtue -my humility - is the one that gets me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I think Leo and Martin not replying on the Paul Quinn stuff was an admission that they are a beaten docket on this stuff.

It's pointless, nobody wins, least of all the exploited victim and their family, and everybody feels a bit dirty after it.

I think they didn't need to say anything to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I think Leo and Martin not replying on the Paul Quinn stuff was an admission that they are a beaten docket on this stuff.

It's pointless, nobody wins, least of all the exploited victim and their family, and everybody feels a bit dirty after it.

You're stooping to a new low. Mrs Quinn did not regard it as " pointless " when she spoke on drive time yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

L1011 wrote: »
    Brother is an FF TD. Jim O'Callaghan

And who, as a barrister, represented Denis O'Brien!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Did nobody else note that she is promising a pension for everyone at 65 and this will be possible because she is going to increase the birthrate?

Yes, and increasing the birth rate means more houses, more cars, more plastic in the oceans, etc. Etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why was she the winner?

Both are D4!!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

theballz wrote: »

If they had a paper cut out of Eamon Ryan on tonight’s debate they would probably claim he won.

They were poor. Looks bad for UCD. For girl blabbed on about issues not discussed rather than giving her opinion on what was in the debate. Last girl simply stated "Mary Lou was best"... Without an explanation as to why she thought ML was winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Jizique

You're stooping to a new low. Mrs Quinn did not regard it as " pointless " when she spoke on drive time yesterday evening.

The McConville family must be upset that they are no longer mentioned in the debates

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    ah come on why would they answer a question like that ? It was a Sinn Fein specific question juts like Leo varadkar and Michael Martin were asked specific questions about FF and FG Members who'd messed up. Was Mary Lou a "beaten docket" on that stuff then ?

It was the only question asked that one person had an opinion on. Earlier in the campaign MM was delighted to throw this stuff up...but has found himself two points down on SF and only two ahead of FG.

There is your reason they had no appetite tonight.

Miriam even made the slip on the SCC, saying...Mary Lou please answer the question 'because we want to get on to the important issues affecting people.'

They know this stuff, 'SF being a threat to the state' is no longer relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

gmisk wrote: »
    What do we want?
    IRA controlled drug dealers!
    When do we want em?
    Now!
    We need someone to control the drugs market. The prices are gone crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

They were poor. Looks bad for UCD. For girl blabbed on about issues not discussed rather than giving her opinion on what was in the debate. Last girl simply stated "Mary Lou was best"... Without an explanation as to why she thought ML was winner.

They haven’t a clue. It’s frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i think Mary Lou looked emotional and rattled on occasion and continued to be very weak on detail.

i also think its too late in the day for this debate to have any impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Jizique wrote: »
    The McConville family must be upset that they are no longer mentioned in the debates

Gerry McCabe also seems to be no longer mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

jos28 wrote: »
    I think the strategy of allowing MLM to participate went exactly as MM and LV hoped it would. She was playing well out of her league. She can talk the talk (Trump/Farage style) but she can't walk the walk. Her populist, soundbite approach was exposed as shallow and one dimensional.
    Excruciating to watch her squirm on the SCC and Paul Flynn questions, she didn't do herself any favours on climate change either.

She made us think that we might have been a bit harsh on our assessment of Gerry Adams ability !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

https://www.rte.ie/news/election-2020/2020/0204/1113209-prime-time-debate/

The usual perceptive analysis of all matters political from Mícheál Lehane.

“When the debate moved on to Brexit, Micheál Martin was asked about the experience his perspective team would have on the EU stage if he was Taoiseach.

He struggled briefly before mentioning the wisdom acquired by Éamon Ó Cuiv and Brendan Smith.

Leo Varadkar pointedly and disapprovingly nodded in silence as he listened.

But generally the Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael leaders matched each other punch-for-punch in what was an accomplished performance by both of them.

Mary Lou McDonald did connect with several jabs but she was the one who exited the studio having endured one extremely difficult moment.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

MLM wasnt classed as the winner, nobody was. Rte one said nothing has changed, MLM still out in front. Bit of a difference, didnt really answer the question ironically

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

i think Mary Lou looked emotional and rattled on occasion and continued to be very weak on detail.

Still a high percentage of undecided

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

theballz wrote: »

Isn't that a pinch of salt & (a grain of sand).

It's almost like the "in thing" is for students to like & to vote for Sinn Fein, it's the trend, it's the fashion, it's what all their mates are doing unless they're voting Green ( who are Sinn Fein vote friendly anyway), win win for Sinn Fein whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It was the only question asked that one person had an opinion on. Earlier in the campaign MM was delighted to throw this stuff up...but has found himself two points down on SF and only two ahead of FG.

There is your reason they had no appetite tonight.

Miriam even made the slip on the SCC, saying...Mary Lou please answer the question 'because we want to get on to the important issues affecting people.'

They know this stuff, 'SF being a threat to the state' is no longer relevant.

So that's a no then. No it wasn't the only question asked that one person had an opinion on. Both Leo varadkar and Michael Martin were asked about named members of their party. An opinion poll isn't a vote Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mrs Quinn was contacted because Lynn Boylan said on Sunday morning that 'people are fed up with victims being exploited' and Brendan O'Connor taking umbrage because she said it.

Paul Quinn, brutal and terrible as his murder was, is being used in this election, like Jean McConville is routinely, like Maria Cahill was etc etc. If SF represent a threat to this state then they are a threat to this state in any capacity, national or local. The electorate are having their say and at the moment they are more popular than FG and FF.

It is time to be honest about this and time to stop using victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Edgware wrote: »
    Still a high percentage of undecided

Just noticed today that the last poll had the undecided at 17%.

I agree it may not make a hug impact but given that the numbers are so close it might(stress might) tip a few seats away from SF and that might might a big difference. FF and FG might pip them to the post for a few seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Getting sick of Mary Lou. When can she be declared, as her pals may phrase it, a "legitimate target"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mrs Quinn was contacted because Lynn Boylan said on Sunday morning that 'people are fed up with victims being exploited' and Brendan O'Connor taking umbrage because she said it.

Paul Quinn, brutal and terrible as his murder was, is being used in this election, like Jean McConville is routinely, like Maria Cahill was etc etc. If SF represent a threat to this state then they are a threat to this state in any capacity, national or local. The electorate are having their say and at the moment they are more popular than FG and FF.

It is time to be honest about this and time to stop using victims.

isnt the issue that SF have so many victims associated with their name rather than victims being exploited?

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote: »
    Just noticed today that the last poll had the undecided at 17%.

Did it ? I must have missed that. 17 % is a nice load of first preference votes still in play then.

Advertisement