Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Mrs Quinn was contacted because Lynn Boylan said on Sunday morning that 'people are fed up with victims being exploited' and Brendan O'Connor taking umbrage because she said it.

Paul Quinn, brutal and terrible as his murder was, is being used in this election, like Jean McConville is routinely, like Maria Cahill was etc etc. If SF represent a threat to this state then they are a threat to this state in any capacity, national or local. The electorate are having their say and at the moment they are more popular than FG and FF.

It is time to be honest about this and time to stop using victims.

They're happy to use Jonathan Corrie, Margaret Cash or Erica Fleming as victims when it suits them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Isn't that a pinch of salt & (a grain of sand).

It's almost like the "in thing" is for students to like & to vote for Sinn Fein, it's the trend, it's the fashion, it's what all their mates are doing unless they're voting Green ( who are Sinn Fein vote friendly anyway), win win for Sinn Fein whatever happens.

The thing is millennials have been targeted when this “change” slogan. Not long ago the privately educated kids of UCD would’ve referred to SF as the “IRA.”

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So that's a no then. No it wasn't the only question asked that one person had an opinion on. Both Leo varadkar and Michael Martin were asked about named members of their party. An opinion poll isn't a vote Francie.

And both of them made an utter balls of answering for their actions there. It might have escaped you but Mary Lou when confronted with the quote was shocked but immediately owned up to it and accepted it. She didn't waffle and explain and excuse.

It was compartmentalised in the debate and tbh I think it will only serve to entrench those who would never vote for her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

**** Fine Gael. Part of a government who took medical cards from disabled children and I will never ever forget it when they knock on my door.
    I look at Martin, all I see is Ahern and Haughey and the next generation of tribunals FF will be involved in.
    Sinn Fein aren't a serious party. Fairytale economics and too many headbangers in that party still. I have serious doubts about MLM leadership.

It's amazing there isn't a good alternative it wouldn't even be that difficult such is FG poor performance and FF previous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

charlie14 wrote: »
    Just noticed today that the last poll had the undecided at 17%.

Extremely perceptive observation, Charlie, and one that hasn’t been discussed in detail due to traditional media having to engage in easy headlines for clicks. Which is a shame, as a democracy needs people to pay for strong and independent journalism.

God bless RTÉ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Mrs Quinn was contacted because Lynn Boylan said on Sunday morning that 'people are fed up with victims being exploited' and Brendan O'Connor taking umbrage because she said it.

Paul Quinn, brutal and terrible as his murder was, is being used in this election, like Jean McConville is routinely, like Maria Cahill was etc etc. If SF represent a threat to this state then they are a threat to this state in any capacity, national or local. The electorate are having their say and at the moment they are more popular than FG and FF.

Maria Cahill has been canvassing for Joan Burton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

theballz wrote: »
    The thing is millennials have been targeted when this “change” slogan. Not long ago the privately educated kids of UCD would’ve referred to SF as the “IRA.”

So true. Until they graduate and realise having a decent job is a nice thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,268 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mary Lou was shocked because she was caught out. Her version yesterday was diff than tonight's. and MOC had the quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

these kids are all born post GFA and havent a breeze what went on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Did it ? I must have missed that. 17 % is a nice load of first preference votes still in play then.

Very high for so late in the day.
    Lot of votes to play for yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,280 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

rob316 wrote: »
    **** Fine Gael. Part of a government who took medical cards from disabled children and I will never ever forget it when they knock on my door.
    I look at Martin, all I see is Ahern and Haughey and the next generation of tribunals FF will be involved in.
    Sinn Fein aren't a serious party. Fairytale economics and too many headbangers in that party still. I have serious doubts about MLM leadership.

It's amazing there isn't a good alternative it wouldn't even be that difficult such is FG poor performance and FF previous.

This is the most damning of it all. The want for change is understandable, but when SF are the most popular for that change you realise how bad they all are

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Water John wrote: »
    Mary Lou was shocked because she was caught out. Her version yesterday was diff than tonight's. and MOC had the quotes.

It was.a real 'Rabbit in the headlights' moment :)

Nice.

isnt the issue that SF have so many victims associated with their name rather than victims being exploited?

That's the bull**** the electorate are repudiating.

Mary Lou is now the conniving IRA mastermind? Jaysus.
    I remember the hypocrites here on the moral high ground saying 'SF MUST get rid of Adams...to have any chance...etc etc etc.

:):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Mushy wrote: »
    This is the most damning of it all. The want for change is understandable, but when SF are the most popular for that change you realise how bad they all are

Absolute losers the 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

And both of them made an utter balls of answering for their actions there. It might have escaped you but Mary Lou when confronted with the quote was shocked but immediately owned up to it and accepted it. She didn't waffle and explain and excuse.

It was compartmentalised in the debate and tbh I think it will only serve to entrench those who would never vote for her anyway.

So whataboutism ?

Fair enough you think Sinn Fein have nothing to answer for and the debate was a flawless outing. Many in this thread disagree. She gave an interview last night it seems and it was at odds with what she said tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

You could even leave all the pre GFA stuff out of it - SFs economics policies are absolutely bonkers for anyone that has any bit of drive to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I remember the hypocrites here on the moral high ground saying 'SF MUST get rid of Adams...to have any chance...etc etc etc.

whats bull****? that SF have victims associates with them? you named a few yourself.

do you think the SF surge is based on a love of their policies and character or a desperate desire for change finding a home in the third biggest party?

for the record I think SF will do well and will form part of the next government and i wish them well.

Once Sinn Fein have people like Dessie Ellis sitting in the Dail the past is the present

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes the Nationalists in the north were treated like utter thrash and had to rise up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Yes the Nationalists in the north were treated like utter thrash and had to rise up.

The nationalist people of NI never gave majority support to SF while the IRA carried on its violent campaign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

If there's one thing that has been highlighted over the last two interviews with Mary Lou, it's that if she is prevented from (waffling with her flowery language) then she really is lacking in detail when pressed, she also struggles with IRA legacy issues, obviously because all that horror was orchestrated by her predicessor, but still, she should get her facts right as to who spoke to who about who said what about who shot who.

Must have been on a bad phone line to Gerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

LOL fuel smugglers kill another fuel smuggler with a ratio of 10:1.

Ahhh that explains it so, let's move on.

It explains Mary Lou’s objection to electric cars.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 33,356 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Perhaps her issue is that she is fundamentally a FF'er, not a Shinner.

If there's one thing that has been highlighted over the last two interviews with Mary Lou, it's that if she is prevented from (waffling with her flowery language) then she really is lacking in detail when pressed, she also struggles with IRA legacy issues, obviously because all that horror was orchestrated by her predicessor, but still, she should get her facts right as to who spoke to who about who said what about who shot who.

Must have been on a bad phone line to Gerry.

Compared to Eoin O’Broin who is excellent in addressing IRA issues. Accepts, apologises and understands a large % will not support SF because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

They haven’t a clue. It’s frightening.

Absolutely .
    What scares me even more is the proposal floating around to extend the franchise to 16 yr olds. Don't know all the party positions -but I've gathered that Howlin and Martin support this crackpot idea. I shudder to think of it.

So whataboutism ?

Fair enough you think Sinn Fein have nothing to answer for and the debate was a flawless outing.

Sigh...I never said it was a flawless outing. I said I reckoned on the issues, it was probably a draw with MM maybe slightly shading it. I said nobody shone, and all preformed to type.

Stop misquoting please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Are Sinn Fein a threat to the state?

Up to 50% of senior members of the Republican movement were recruited as agents by the British security forces. Often after exposing themselves through their paedophilia.
    Are there remnants of these British security agents still at the heart of Sinn Fein?
    Undoubtedly.
    Would they compromise national security if in power? Almost certainly.
    The republican movement was riven with British agents and spies.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Extremely perceptive observation, Charlie, and one that hasn’t been discussed in detail due to traditional media having to engage in easy headlines for clicks. Which is a shame, as a democracy needs people to pay for strong and independent journalism.

God bless RTÉ.

Unfortunately with easy headline clicks Irish journalism nowadays reminds me of the Buggles song Video Killed The Radio Star.
    With The Irish Times/lpsos MRBI poll adding up to 100% I assume that 17% has been allocated proportionally to each party.

If I am correct in that assumption when you throw in the 2.8% margin of error then the real figure for each parties stated preference is close to 20% lower than that poll makes them appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

So whataboutism ?

Fair enough you think Sinn Fein have nothing to answer for and the debate was a flawless outing. Many in this thread disagree. She gave an interview last night it seems and it was at odds with what she said tonight.

Nothing new there -she said one day there was no immediate need for a Border Poll but, on mature reflection following incoming signals from certain agents in N Ir ,said the following day that a Border Poll was in fact just what the doctor ordered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Not a mastermind, we all saw that tonight.
    More of a puppet

Advertisement