Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭TL17

Itssoeasy wrote:
    The Paul Quin question will not have helped Sinn Fein.

Glad she got on debate now. True colours showing

• Registered Users Posts: 68,502 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Only caught towards the end but from the little I saw Mary Lou was fairly catastrophic. Was she any better early doors?

Yes, except on the other issue SF simply can't figure out how to handle in debates (special criminal court). She was still last at that stage; but a more convincing position than the other debates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Only caught towards the end but from the little I saw Mary Lou was fairly catastrophic. Was she any better early doors?

To quote the late Larry Gogan " perhaps the questions didn't suit her"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Lackey wrote: »
    You argued with your 71 one year old mother? nice lol

still treats her like a fellow sentient human being?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The government is dissolved at the moment.

It's not the outgoing government stay in office until a new one get their seals of office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭Patser

I think Leo won that debate, if only because nothing really stuck to him, or will be remembered about him afterwards.

MM was probably the best debater and speaker there, but the Delaney jibe by Leo hit home and has already become meme-able.

MLM will have to regretting going on this, a good few deer in headlights moments - the terrible silence over the Quinn murder, the SCC question, the 'what's massive' moment about investment in electric cars, demographics will sort themselves out. Would have been so much better not to appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

. ...... In the end, those voting for them most, get the consequnces: a poor health service, housing issues, excessive unemployment benefits and pensions that further skews.
    Vote for one of the proper parties. Let them form a majority government. Improvement to the country will follow.

Really, health, housing, etc are so great now that we should vote in more of the same? I voted FG last time, but won’t this time - public services have decreased and they have restored the Xmas week extra soc welfare payment and buy votes from the people that aren’t working. I want change and I know SF may not be perfect, but neither of the others and I can’t stand MM.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Trizo

The huge pause when she was caught out , the face on her.... you could hear a pin drop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Love the SF victim mentality.

Cry they're not allowed on.

Cry when they are.

Cry moan whinge.

Cry when they are interrupted while busy not answering the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

smurgen wrote: »
    Going back to the John Delaney call from LV. Does he realise his government bailed out the FAI by 20 million. He met the man endless times and socialized with him when the dogs on the street knew the corruption.he seems to have a bizarre detachment from disasters under his tenure.complete cognitive dissonance.

That was a glib and slightly amusing retort to Martin. The story of the night was the car crash that was Mary Lou and her handling of the questions regarding Paul Quinn and the SCC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I have the misfortune to watch the debate on facebook. Though not a good barometer for general opinion they all think MLM did a great job with one even saying she is going to win on Saturday (clearly having no understanding of Irish politics) Personally I've gone back and forth on voting for Sinn Fein. I can say for sure is she did not do great on this debate. Their policy of large tax reductions is what worries me and I was not reassured during this debate. I thought both MM and LV both had moments where they came across well and moments where they came across not so well.

I won't be voting for either of them but we have to accept one of them will be leading government and I think Leo came across better overall in the debate. I felt most reassured by Leo in that debate but then had to remind myself the housing/health/homelessness crisis has gotten worse since they have been in government despite him now saying the tide has turned and all their plans are starting to come to fruition. Fianna fail on the other hand, I personally never want to see them in Government again.

I'm going to give my first preferences to the Social Democrats knowing full well my vote will go to my second or third choice (at least we can be thankful for our STV system)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,667 ✭✭✭sheroman01

smurgen wrote: »
    Varadkar speaks too much. Real kind of over sharing or waffling going on. He seems extremely nervous as a person.

Being nervous is fine. What worries me more is that he comes across as a extremely indecisive person. Not great for a leader. He even agreed with the presenter when he was slating him for leaving things until the last minute to make decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The government is dissolved at the moment.

It's been an issue for months. Or is another thing to fix on his to do list if he gets back to government? That list is grown long....health...housing...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Strange how Mary Lou didnt seem to know what had been said about Paul Quinn yet was happy to make the u turn from yesterday's position that nothing bad had in fact been said. All over the shop there.

She dumped Conor Murphy in it as he did say that Quinn was involved in criminality. Now I know his mother believes he was not, but I suspect the Gardai and PSNI might agree with Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I doubt it hurt any of the leaders with voters who have their pre conceived ideas about the three parties. The SCC answer from Mary Lou looks good compared to the Paul Quinn answer. If there had just been the SCC "flub" then SF would and could claim they had a good debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

She dumped Conor Murphy in it as he did say that Quinn was involved in criminality. Now I know his mother believes he was not, but I suspect the Gardai and PSNI might agree with Murphy.
    Widely known he was involved in fuel laundering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I have the misfortune to watch the debate on facebook. Though not a good barometer for general opinion they all think MLM did a great job with one even saying she is going to win on Saturday (clearly having no understanding of Irish politics)

sure people are still saying Hillary won the US election three years ago....
    Hurrache wrote: »
    Hillary did win the popular vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

The Gardaí and PSNI believe he had a row with a Provos brother.

Pretty much known around the 6 counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

That was a glib and slightly amusing retort to Martin. The story of the night was the car crash that was Mary Lou and her handling of the questions regarding Paul Quinn and the SCC.

Her handling of the SCC question is at question not the stance that it should be reviewed or reformed or scrapped.
    The UN, Amnesty, ICCL and MAry Robinson have all said the same.

That's all she had to say and that it would be as part of an overall revision of the justice system which is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I thought Varadkar was very good tonight. Although he's been very bad as Taoiseach, so there's that too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

armaghlad wrote: »

Was he encroaching on the turf of ‘good republicans’ like Slab?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,017 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Well that settles it I'm voting independent. 3 absolute losers I couldn't put an X next to.

???

The Provos or Paul Quinn??

Jesus this is some mad deflection even for SF!!

Still indicative of the IRA/SF mentality though - if you are involved in criminality, that isnt IRA criminality, then its OK to murder you. This is MaryLou's crowd we are talking about here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I have the misfortune to watch the debate on facebook. Though not a good barometer for general opinion they all think MLM did a great job with one even saying she is going to win on Saturday (clearly having no understanding of Irish politics) Personally I've gone back and forth on voting for Sinn Fein. I can say for sure is she did not do great on this debate. Their policy of large tax reductions is what worries me and I was not reassured during this debate. I thought both MM and LV both had moments where they came across well and moments where they came across not so well.

I won't be voting for either of them but we have to accept one of them will be leading government and I think Leo came across better overall in the debate. I felt most reassured by Leo in that debate but then had to remind myself the housing/health/homelessness crisis has gotten worse since they have been in government despite him now saying the tide has turned and all their plans are starting to come to fruition. Fianna fail on the other hand, I personally never want to see them in Government again.

I'm going to give my first preferences to the Social Democrats knowing full well my vote will go to my second or third choice (at least we can be thankful for our STV system)

Same boat.
    I want the FF-FG duopoly as damaged as possible but MLM didn't inspire tonight however there is literally no-one else to vote for in my area bar SF if I want to reduce the FF-FG seat total.

SF earned a lot of money from that over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

So he should have been beaten to death by 10 brave men with iron bars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

???

The Provos or Paul Quinn??

Jesus this is some mad deflection even for SF!!

If you keep mentioning the provos enough maybe people will get over their annoyance they have with health and housing.i think another 20-30 posts should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Leo seems to have shaded it over Michéal. The good economic figures may have given him impetus.

Mary Lou was just appalling - I don't think even the most fervent SF supporter could say she did well.

• Advertisement

LOL fuel smugglers kill another fuel smuggler with a ratio of 10:1.

Ahhh that explains it so, let's move on.

Advertisement