Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election TV debates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

The best line of Leaders Debate by Leo Varadkar "restoring FF to power would be like asking John Delaney to take over the FAI again in nine years time" :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 30,429 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I have the misfortune to watch the debate on facebook. Though not a good barometer for general opinion they all think MLM did a great job with one even saying she is going to win on Saturday (clearly having no understanding of Irish politics) Personally I've gone back and forth on voting for Sinn Fein. I can say for sure is she did not do great on this debate. Their policy of large tax reductions is what worries me and I was not reassured during this debate. I thought both MM and LV both had moments where they came across well and moments where they came across not so well.

It's cool to say you vote for Sinn Fein on Facebook!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

silver2020 wrote: »
    Leo seems to have shaded it over Michéal. The good economic figures may have given him impetus.

Mary Lou was just appalling - I don't think even the most fervent SF supporter could say she did well.

FrancieBrady thought it was a draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

This time around those on our offshore islands vote same day as everyone else, a good thing.

No. Islands voting on Friday as this government could not even manage to get that right .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is there a wasp in the studio?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The best line of Leaders Debate by Leo Varadkar "restoring FF to power would be like asking John Delaney to take over the FAI again in nine years time" :-)

I think that one is backfiring on Leo already. They let him walk away and are bailing out a largely unreformed organisation. Twitter not liking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

MLM what is your biggest political regret?

-Coming on here tonight?

I thought she was overall very poor, disappointing.
    Leo and MM did a lot better, Leo definitely does his homework and spins the numbers pretty well, MM a lot less aggressive and flustered than last debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭boardise

He was murdered by those who support SF because he got the better of a leading SF mans son in a row, that's who Paul Quinn was.

One way or another the name Quinn seems to reverberate through N Ir politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

silver2020 wrote: »
    Leo seems to have shaded it over Michéal. The good economic figures may have given him impetus.

Mary Lou was just appalling - I don't think even the most fervent SF supporter could say she did well.

Correct absolutely sh1te. But I'll still give SF the vote as opposed to MM and LV who could spin the lies and guff with more panache.

I'm watching The Spin Room thing and they spoke to students from UCD. There was one from the Green Party(I think) and she said Mary Lou spoke about climate change the best or did I hear all that wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Could be really close on Saturday

FG could gain 1-2% from tonight considering the viewershio was huge.

Really going to be tight

Micheal will likely be Taoiseach by default

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KimWexler

Deluded there from UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But FG being around while Delaney was at full swing in the FAI and looking like not a single possible pinishment will be dished out to him is a complete head shot to FG, not something you should promote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

Mary Lou accusing Martin of mansplaining...

Cringe.

I don't even think that is a term she would naturally use, she was just shoe horning it in because it's what she thinks people want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Mary Lou's jibe of "mansplaining" at Michael Martin was a bit cringey too. Her ship was sinking and she was hoping she could seek harbor in feminism bay

KimWexler wrote: »
    Deluded there from UCD.

Certainly that one from the Green Party!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just as well Mary L brought change of knickers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

I think that one is backfiring on Leo already. They let him walk away and are bailing out a largely unreformed organisation. Twitter not liking it.

There's no Garda investigation into the FAI or JD and no governance reforms of the organisation have been put in place. I think he shouldn't have mentioned it.

armaghlad wrote: »
    Widely known he was involved in fuel laundering

Even more widely known that he got the better of a leading SF mans son in a row and was beaten to death by 10 men with iron bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,162 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

FrancieBrady thought it was a draw!

I did.

I can see how the usual suspects here are zeroing in once again on the 'RA stuff. But that is not registering with voters.
    I think otherwise it was a draw with MM maybe getting an edge. Too late though imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

It is until you recall that Varadkar was Minister for Sport while Delaney was rambling around Europe pissed making a holy show of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

gmisk wrote: »
    MLM what is your biggest political regret?

-Coming on here tonight?

I thought she was overall very poor, disappointing.
    Leo and MM did a lot better, Leo definitely does his homework and spins the numbers pretty well, MM a lot less aggressive and flustered than last debate.

She had two catastrophic moments.....criminal court and Quinn murder issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 KimWexler

Certainly that one from the Green Party!

I rewound it to be sure:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

charlie14 wrote: »
    No. Islands voting on Friday as this government could not even manage to get that right .

Islands always* vote first, something to do with a delay getting the votes back in bad weather and delaying the whole thing.

*it may have been introduced in the 1990's iirc

I did.

I can see how the usual suspects here are zeroing in once again on the 'RA stuff. But that is not registering with voters.
    I think otherwise it was a draw with MM maybe getting an edge. Too late though imo.

So are you saying the murder of Paul Quinn ,and many others could have been brought up.are irrelevant?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,758 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I did.

How do you know it's not resistering with voters after the very badly answered question tonight ? For all we know people who were on the fence about Sinn Fein might not vote for SFs candidate in their constituency and the last seat might not go to SF now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I did.

I might be a voter for all you know. Certainly registers with me. No way would I vote for terrorists looking for a new gig now business in their first career has dried up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Love the SF victim mentality.

Cry they're not allowed on.

Cry when they are.

Cry moan whinge.

They really were exposed tonight. There are far to many holes to pick but Mary lous struggling badly on that Paul Quinn question said a lot. When people start saying" ...my recollection" you know they are in trouble.

57% income tax on earners over 100k will drive further immigration. SF are absolutely clueless and the demographic they are targeting is so evident. Uneducated, low earners who know no different.

It’s just like Brexit again.

The worrying thing the people who will vote for SF on Saturday probably didn’t even know this debate was on tonight or opted to watch love island instead

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why did she seem so poorly prepared? Surely she knew those two questions would come up?
    The pensions thing didn't exactly come across well either...ah sure it will be grand.
    I think people are so desperate for a FF and FG alternative they are placing a lot of faith in SF.
    It's just a shame other parties like the social Democrats can't fill that gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mary had a chance at the end to try and recover. Didn’t take it. She’s a master of soundbites usually, so opportunity lost to try and recover from the fiasco she found herself in.

Advertisement