Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new coronavirus outbreak China, Korea, USA - mod warnings in OP (updated 24/02/20)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

beejee wrote: »
    Well that goes hand in hand. More death = more diseased = more fallout.

So regardless, if health systems are unable to cope with a small outbreak, all the better practice.

The interesting part of infrastructural challenge will be in poor countries with essentially none but ALSO major hubs of transport.

China, in other words :p

Fair enough. But No the point is not the dead - but the living ie those requiring urgent medical care and the chaos that would cause on top of the very precarious health care system we have here at present .

Btw you seen the reports on Wuhan? It appears to be a very modern city with big hospitals and modern transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/
    102,000 people under observation
    Suspected now 15k, up from 12k yesterday

gozunda wrote: »
    Btw you seen the reports on Wuhan? It appears to be a very modern city with big hospitals and modern transport.

Wuhan is a tier 2 city, so it's a combination of modern and very old infrastructure/buildings. For example, the sewer system is likely to be forty or fifty years old in parts of the city. Main transportation roads will be four lanes (two either side), and there's motorways around the city itself. Traffic is still a nightmare. It's actually famous for it's bad traffic.

The problem with Chinese cities is that most of them sprawl. The inner city area will be quite modern on the surface but the infrastructure under the ground will be older. There will be districts with varying degrees of modern or older buildings, and again, the infrastructure will differ depending on the wealth of those living there. Maintenance can be a very loose concept depending on who's responsible for the area, with some areas being perfectly maintained, whereas the next district over will be awful. Also hygiene isn't something that many Chinese think seriously about, so the back streets/alleys and poorer residential areas will be pretty disgusting. Major Chinese cities with a decent revenue are very good at showing themselves to be modern, but it's still a country pulling itself out of poverty and centuries of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭perrito caliente

Is it coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I'm no epidemiologist, but I know scare tactics when I see them.

That said, I'm off kung po chicken for a few weeks at least

Seriously though, banging on about 2m infected in Ireland and 20k deaths is pretty damned irresponsible for a health professional to throw into the public domain.

I heard the interview, he back peddled a lot when people started ringing the show, he was then stressing worst case scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Nope. I have a group chat with all my students (360 students from all over China) on qq, and none have mentioned such a thing. They've talked about plenty of other retarded behavior going on though.

Why? faking videos & photos is common on the Chinese social media sites. Even before the virus, there were heaps of vids which were altered to present a certain agenda or mime. Wechat at the moment is particularly toxic with loads of fake news being passed around, with people later saying "got you" when other people believe it.

You've lots of internet articles, videos, and images. You're not there. So, no real evidence. I'm not there either, but I suspect I'd hear of anything nasty going on. Not in Wuhan, since I only know a few Chinese people there, but in the rest of the country? Sure.

This isn't an attempt to defend the Chinese Government. This is an attempt to reduce some of the scaremongering and other crap that seems to have infested the internet about the virus and the situation in China. Frankly, I'm rather disgusted at the attitude of the Internet. (not at you, Call Me Jimmy) It really shows just how negative and toxic the internet has become.

I completely get where you're coming from and I'm extremely skeptical of every video, it's only when they are numerous, hard to fake or have been mentioned in other articles / accounts that I begin to take them seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

As for why? I met her first when she was wearing a full tactical outfit.

We need pictures.

We need pictures.

Not going to happen. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Don't get me wrong. Even before this virus, I'd decided that I would be finished with China soon. (another year probably). I don't like the way nationalism has evolved, and the spread (and acceptance) of much anti-foreign propaganda. Where once Chinese people nodded in public, and dismissed in private, there's now a growing acceptance of the anti-foreign sentiment. Xi is also getting older, and he promised the return of Taiwan to the military. A peaceful result for that ended with HK, so it'll be an invasion. Regardless of the success of that venture, their perceptions towards foreigners will shift. You know yourself, that they see white skin, and initially think "American!".. so I wouldn't want to be there when it all kicked off.

Even without all that, the US has been surrounding China with military bases, and arming China's neighbors.... so even if China did nothing with Taiwan, something would eventually crop up. It's time to finish up. I've been there over a decade, and it's time to spend a few years in a different culture. Perhaps Japan, or South Korea for a spell.

I have a contract, so I'll be back in China once the Virus is settled, but I won't be staying long. (I've never broken a contract, and I've no intention of starting now)

You don't break contracts you just break hearts :tongue:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

So I posted a new thread that got merged stating I saw a video of pure carnage in wuhan and the 1000's of people in hospital and literally dropping dead on the side of the road, There was a nurse on it that stated 90,000 people were infected - that was Jan 27th.

I managed to find her video online, but not the rest of it.

January 27th!!

If she is right, at the time of posting, then this is probably at the 1M infected mark by now.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It’s tracking for 15k infections by this time tomorrow.

Only if they can diagnose that many in a day!?

ardinn wrote: »
    So I posted a new thread that got merged stating I saw a video of pure carnage in wuhan and the 1000's of people in hospital and literally dropping dead on the side of the road, There was a nurse on it that stated 90,000 people were infected - that was Jan 27th.

January 27th!!

If she is right, at the time of posting, then this is probably at the 1M infected mark by now.

Why would you believe some mask-wearing Chinese woman talking into her phone? There's about seventeen million fake videos about the virus. I don't know what it is about Asian culture but people do this just for the laugh it seems. Fake videos meant to cause panic or outrage are huge in Vietnam, too.

How would a nurse even know the figures. It's absurd.

I wouldn't discount the idea that the Chinese are grossly under-reporting the gravity of the situation.
    Why would you believe some mask-wearing Chinese woman talking into her phone? There's about seventeen million fake videos about the virus. I don't know what it is about Asian culture but people do this just for the laugh it seems. Fake videos meant to cause panic or outrage are huge in Vietnam, too.

How would a nurse even know the figures. It's absurd.

It made more sense with the rest of the video depicting the scenes.

I dont know it's real - you dont know it's fake.

I hope your right.

Australians going mad that they should pay 1000 dollars for their evaluation. That's about 2 weeks wages for even the lowest paid English teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Australians going mad that they should pay 1000 dollars for their evaluation. That's about 2 weeks wages for even the lowest paid English teacher.

Evaluation as in getting tested for the virus?

It made more sense with the rest of the video depicting the scenes.

I dont know it's real - you dont know it's fake.

I hope your right.

I think the chances of it being fake and there not being a million people infected today are higher than some random bird wearing a mask talking into a phone being right.

There is no point in worrying yourself over stuff like that. The first cases are now in the city I live in and I guarantee when I'm back in work next week, there's be students lapping up every scary video that gets shared on FB and Zalo scaring others.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

January 27th!!

Those videos of peple dropping dead on the street were never verified. Likely fake, pretty convenient timing to be recording and an ill person just KO's in front of you.
    The fact she's wearing a gas mask honestly makes it feel even more fake, if youre making a video surely youd talk it off so your voice is clearer. I'm sure shes in a pretty private and isolated location whilst spilling state secrets so no need for the mask

wakka12 wrote: »
    Those videos of peple dropping dead on the street were never verified. Likely fake, pretty convenient timing to be recording and an ill person just KO's in front of you.
    The fact she's wearing a gas mask honestly makes it feel even more fake, if youre making a video surely youd talk it off so your voice is clearer

I wouldnt take off my mask for no-one!

The videos from the hospital are in my opinion real, doctors on the floor in hospitals coughing themselves assunder and thousands of people in corridors in panic.

I wouldnt say the people dropping dead are fake either - ambulances and hazmats suits collecting the bodies - bit of effort to fake surely and with so many bystanders looking on in horror!

I think they are all real myself.

and also just on that nurse, she is asking for help in wuhan, and trying to let the world know how serious it is and at what rate it can spread, she doesnt seem to be looking for attention or in the want to create drama, seem genuine enough to me.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Evaluation as in getting tested for the virus?

Sorry, evacuation, auto spell

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

and also just on that nurse, she is asking for help in wuhan, and trying to let the world know how serious it is and at what rate it can spread, she doesnt seem to be looking for attention or in the want to create drama, seem genuine enough to me.

doesn't want to create drama. Makes a video talking about 1m people infected and people dropping dead in the streets. Ok

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    doesn't want to create drama. Makes a video talking about 1m people infected and people dropping dead in the streets. Ok

?

Watch the video maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This thread has unfortunately lost the run of itself with all the uninformed fearmongering

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

VinLieger wrote: »
    This thread has unfortunately lost the run of itself with all the uninformed fearmongering

You could almost mistake it for a Brexit thread... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

That WHO conference declaring a global emergency was such a farce.

First WHO don't allow Taiwan, and now in every conference they spend most of the time kissing China's ass.

Another corrupt organisation, unfortunately.

VinLieger wrote: »

Not too bad, it's still very interesting hearing people's opinions who are in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Can someone post the video that people are talking about? I would think of it was real that news channels would have picked it up by now, I would be of the opinion it is fake.

Our government has been very quiet about this. The last thing the hse needs is people presenting themselves with this virus. I’d say Harris is sweating! If it is spreading as quickly as they think we should really be taking preventative action now instead of waiting to react. I think the issues that we would face is lack of ability to treat people in an already dire health system with people spending days on trolleys in A&E.

I wonder have the HSE been given direction for suspected cases of this disease. Definitely don’t need people with symptoms waiting for hours to be seen in crowded rooms!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Knowing the number of infected people involves aggregating masses of data and analysing it. A nurse wouldn't have the first clue beyond how many people in her hospital maybe are infected. Being "on the ground" is actually a pretty awful way of estimating numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Selfish side of me would rather see all evacuees go to the one place, like a small island, far far from everyone for 2 weeks until the (potential) virus is gone from their system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Can someone post the video that people are talking about? I would think of it was real that news channels would have picked it up by now, I would be of the opinion it is fake.

Our government has been very quiet about this. The last thing the hse needs is people presenting themselves with this virus. I’d say Harris is sweating! If it is spreading as quickly as they think we should really be taking preventative action now instead of waiting to react. I think the issues that we would face is lack of ability to treat people in an already dire health system with people spending days on trolleys in A&E.

I wonder have the HSE been given direction for suspected cases of this disease. Definitely don’t need people with symptoms waiting for hours to be seen in crowded rooms!

From working in the HSE all I can say is there is daily drop in information sessions in relation to this virus in the hospital I work in. Anyone presenting with flu (which you have to remember is a lot) are now screened and background history established to see would they have any link to the coronavirus.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement