Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

The Cush wrote: »
    Enter your eircode here - https://nbi.ie/#

Premises pending survey :( Great that they have updated the site to show this info to people though, they seem to really be keeping on top of things to relay info to potential customers in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

daraghwal wrote: »
    Is that wexford town specifically or where in Wexford are they starting?

They were outside our house in Barntown about two weeks ago and saw them in the Faythe later that day and down by Larkins Cross yesterday. Checking the website says we're still to be surveyed but it was definitely them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

What will this mean in realty:
    Premises pending Survey
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area, and your locality and infrastructure will be surveyed as part of the national fibre network rollout.
    Surveying is required to produce a detailed network design for high speed fibre broadband in your area. We will update you on a survey date in due course.*

Then it goes on to mention "Nearby Broadband Connection Points" one which is 13.62km away and the other 15.66km's away.

I recall checking previously and our area was an Amber zone.

Been thinking to myself that Eir must be kicking themselves over not trying to add more to the rural 300k rollout since so many people want high speed broadband now for WFH.

Listened to the interview with Jess Kelly, the timeline does seem ambitious but sounds like they are putting a lot of resources into planning to prevent any hiccups down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

NBI have been outside my house two or three times yet the map says pending survey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Manzoor14

tiredcity wrote: »
    They were outside our house in Barntown about two weeks ago and saw them in the Faythe later that day and down by Larkins Cross yesterday. Checking the website says we're still to be surveyed but it was definitely them.

Same here, literally surveying at the end of our driveway in Barntown a week or two ago. Our house is still to be surveyed. Must be a lag with updating the database. Maybe a monthly update or something?

Has anybody in the threads status on the NBI map changed to "survey finished" or something along those lines?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

TheSegal wrote: »
    Has anybody in the threads status on the NBI map changed to "survey finished" or something along those lines?

They haven't updated the website with the completed survey data yet. It should be updated later this month.

I understand that people are eagerly anticipating information, but it's actually really impressive the amount of work that's going on behind the scenes, and the level of engagement with retail service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

Is that wexford town specifically or where in Wexford are they starting?
    Around Bree today.
    Gave them a call last week and was told that the parts of the county earmarked for NBP will be connected by the end of this year/early next year so hopefully not too long to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They haven't updated the website with the completed survey data yet. It should be updated later this month.

I understand that people are eagerly anticipating information, but it's actually really impressive the amount of work that's going on behind the scenes, and the level of engagement with retail service providers.

This is encouraging to hear. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Then it goes on to mention "Nearby Broadband Connection Points" one which is 13.62km away and the other 15.66km's away.

One 8km from us......in a national school. Am I expected to sit in the car park of a national school with my laptop to get some work done, and risk being mistaken for a peado!?

oscarBravo wrote: »

They have been fantastic so far and I really hope they keep it up. Even if I am not part of the first batch of houses being connected it will be good to know that my house has a plan and approximate date associated with it and i'm sure everyone else has the same thoughts. A nice departure from OpenEir and their approximate dates for cabinet connections that spanned over 3 years at the cabinet almost 2km from me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm in the intervention area and havent seen any vans about, only Eir seem to be doing a lot of work nearby and even put in a new manhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

I havent seen any vans about but I messaged them on Facebook and they said my area (Headford) was surveyed in the last few weeks.

I contacted them and they didnt give me any info on when the surveys are taking place

Also contacted them and got a generic response to signup to a newsletter. I can't blame them as they probably get loads of these messages each day now from frustrated people.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

It was touched on a few posts back but won't the pace of rollout and success of this plan be dependent largely on eir playing nice? NBI will be relying on eir to replace or upgrade massive swathes of their rural network. Eir haven't been known for being prompt or courteous to their wholesale customers in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I'd be confident (or at least like to think I should be) that NBI have a sufficiently bullet proof contract with Eir that would probably include significant clawbacks if they drag their feet. I'm assuming there is a contract as it would be a much greater risk if they were relying on the regulator to ensure Eir were living up to their encumbent obligations for leasing infrastructure. All soundings from NBI appear good so far. They surely have that end of things locked down firm I'd reckon.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

WdmAduK.jpg

I may or may not be a fan of the simpsons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

fergus1001 wrote: »
    (snip)

I may or may not be a fan of the simpsons
    To be fair to this Hazel one, she answers every feckin email

I got an email from John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

I'm in one of those areas that has fallen between the gap of the NBP and what Eir rolled out. A couple of houses in my estate have been added to the NBP though and there is a message on the site saying the premises and locality will be surveyed. What do you think are the chances the entire estate would be upgraded? Example eircode that is being surveyed: A82F2C6. You can see the surrounding houses say they are not in the intervention area.

I've sent a couple of emails asking for the remainder of the estate to be added to the intervention area but I've been fobbed off. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Xithus wrote: »
    I'm in one of those areas that has fallen between the gap of the NBP and what Eir rolled out. A couple of houses in my estate have been added to the NBP though and there is a message on the site saying the premises and locality will be surveyed. What do you think are the chances the entire estate would be upgraded? Example eircode that is being surveyed: A82F2C6. You can see the surrounding houses say they are not in the intervention area.

I've sent a couple of emails asking for the remainder of the estate to be added to the intervention area but I've been fobbed off. :/

Did you email broadband@dccae.gov.ie and tell them you can't get 30Mb down? That is the proper route to get added to NBP as far as I know. Whether it actually happens is another thing.

Did you email broadband@dccae.gov.ie and tell them you can't get 30Mb down? That is the proper route to get added to NBP as far as I know. Whether it actually happens is another thing.

Yea a couple of times. I get about 20-25Mb (wired) and I followed their instructions and got on to all the providers. Hazel on the facebooks suggested I get onto ComReg, but I wonder if the area will be surveyed when those few houses in my estate are looked at. I mean I don't see how they could run a cable past all the other houses and not sort out the rest of us. Or would they? :confused:

Yea a couple of times. I get about 20-25Mb (wired) and I followed their instructions and got on to all the providers. Hazel on the facebooks suggested I get onto ComReg, but I wonder if the area will be surveyed when those few houses in my estate are looked at. I mean I don't see how they could run a cable past all the other houses and not sort out the rest of us. Or would they? :confused:

This isn't something I would leave to chance, keep contacting NBI, Comreg, and DCCAE until you get confirmation or you could be really disappointed in future!

TheSegal wrote: »
    This isn't something I would leave to chance, keep contacting NBI, Comreg, and DCCAE until you get confirmation or you could be really disappointed in future!

Yea ok, solid advice. It annoying that Eir or OpenEir whoever just arbitrarily stick a circle on a map and say that's done, and then I've to beg NBI to be added to the rollout. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I get about 20-25Mb (wired) and I followed their instructions and got on to all the providers. Hazel on the facebooks suggested I get onto ComReg, but I wonder if the area will be surveyed when those few houses in my estate are looked at. I mean I don't see how they could run a cable past all the other houses and not sort out the rest of us. Or would they?

Yes they will run the fibre past those houses because the state is only covering the cost of passing and connecting those premises in the intervention areas.

You say you get 20-25 Mbps, I'm wondering what is the prequal data for your line, maybe 30 Mbps or greater? ED D, posting in this thread may be able to look at your line stats in the prequal file, send him a PM.

30 Mbps is the cut-off for inclusion in the NBP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes they will run the fibre past those houses because the state is only covering the cost of passing and connecting those premises in the intervention areas.

You say you get 20-25 Mbps, I'm wondering what is the prequal data for your line, maybe 30 Mbps or greater? ED D, posting in this thread may be able to look at your line stats in the prequal file, send him a PM.

30 Mbps is the cut-off for inclusion in the NBP

20-25Mbps or even 30 Mbps , how about 2 Mbps !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

I saw NBI survey vans zipping around the local roads here at crazy speeds, if they install as fast as they drive we won't have long to wait :D.
    I did speak to one of the drivers and he said 5-6 months for the area where I am near Barntown. So, not being overly optimistic, maybe a year to wait. Eir already has the wiring in place along the road, my farm just wasn't included on their system so I guess there isn't that much extra work to do.

Advertisement