Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭clohamon

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I'm not in the NBP because,I'm in a blue area anomalously created across country from a cabinet 2 miles away with no poles or lines to me and no other house to serve out this way

2 emails replied with the same answer 'you are covered by commercial operators
    Eir and others have refused '

T.d's getting same answer from the department
    The new nbi lines will be passing my entrance
    Explained all that to the department
    Included maps

Are they thick ???

I presume you've tried most of the following.
    1. The other map with the red bits.
    2. Log your eircode at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie and nbpmapping@dccae.gov.ie
    3. Email some other likely candidates here (Program CTO looks good)
    4. Contacted your local broadband officer.
    5. Enquire which commercial operators say they provide coverage.
    6. FOI/AIE request to find out which commercial operators say they provide coverage to your eircode.
    7. Possibly a Subject Access Request under GDPR to Department re: your eircode.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Same boat as you Mortelaro but even worse I'm actually in a town. Fibre cabinets all around me but the 6 houses in my row are on an old line that circles half the town before going back to the exchange.

"you are covered by commercial operators" = tough **** paddy.

Is the town larger than 1000 premises ?

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/national-broadband-plan-to-be-completed-ahead-of-schedule-and-under-budget-998059.html
    https://www.newstalk.com/news/national-broadband-plan-will-ahead-time-budget-ceo-1011141

The full interview will air this Saturday at 5.00pm on Tech Talk and podcast from Friday at noon.

The roll-out of the national broadband plan will be completed ahead of time and under budget.

Work on the controversial €2.9bn project is continuing despite the COVID-19 pandemic.

The aim is to eventually connect over 500,000 homes, schools, businesses and farms that currently are not served by commercial operators.

Speaking exclusively to Newstalk, CEO of National Broadband Ireland Peter Hendrick says progress is being made.

"We are confident that the project can be delivered - what I would say - under budget and certainly earlier than we have committed.

"So that's our entire focus: let's get this done as fast as possible for the best value possible.

"And that's what our team our focused on.

"In the year to date we've designed 17,000 premises across multiple counties - Cork, Limerick, Galway, Cavan.

"And this month we're moving into Roscommon.

"So you can see things are starting to progress, and [we] hope to have homes connected certainly within this year".

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Dero

Nothing concrete here, but it makes happy reading. It would be nice to see some actual connections by the end of this year.

National Broadband Plan to be completed ahead of schedule and 'under budget'

Excerpt from the interview on Newstalk.

Also, seems heavydawson got in just before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Same boat as you Mortelaro but even worse I'm actually in a town. Fibre cabinets all around me but the 6 houses in my row are on an old line that circles half the town before going back to the exchange.

"you are covered by commercial operators" = tough **** paddy.

Where do you go to check this, just to be sure?

Im also in a town that has "fibre" but each individual house in my estate is amber colour according to one of the maps I looked at.
    clohamon wrote: »
    I presume you've tried most of the following.
    1. The other map with the red bits.
    2. Log your eircode at Broadband@DCCAE.gov.ie and nbpmapping@dccae.gov.ie
    3. Email some other likely candidates here (Program CTO looks good)
    4. Contacted your local broadband officer.
    5. Enquire which commercial operators say they provide coverage.
    6. FOI/AIE request to find out which commercial operators say they provide coverage to your eircode.
    7. Possibly a Subject Access Request under GDPR to Department re: your eircode.

What does the first map mean? My house is covered with a red blob and I cant find the key for the red? Please tell me the red blob is a good sign.

https://imgur.com/a/PM9KDIt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

The roll-out of the national broadband plan will be completed ahead of time and under budget.

Making a statement like that at the planning stages of a multi year project sounds like total spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I’m fully convinced Eirs ignorance to Rochestown is pure laziness honestly. Plenty of houses up here and zero reason to suggest its not “commercially viable”.

Same in my locality - its pretty much the same as Rochestown (in a blue area but all the houses are not considered commercially viable!? 97 houses that could have high speed broadband would jump on that instantly

I have seen workmen laying cable in the last week or so and they even dug up a part of the road that had a manhole cover previously tarmacadamed over.

joe123 wrote: »
    Where do you go to check this, just to be sure?

The department's official map is here.
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx
    What does the first map mean? My house is covered with a red blob and I cant find the key for the red? Please tell me the red blob is a good sign.

https://imgur.com/a/PM9KDIt

If your house is amber or in an amber area then you're in the NBP. However if you're in an urban area it seems likely that Eircom, SIRO or VM will cover these amber spots over time anyway.

The blue areas represent not only current deployment but also 'credible plans'. The department has allowed 7 years for these plans to materialise (ie the length of the NBP intervention roll-out). So even though some eircodes are blue, the service might not be available until 2027. It's also important to note that blue areas are mostly CSO settlement boundaries and not necessarily deployment maps supplied by the providers.

The red blobs represent unresolved eircodes that could not be associated with any provider by the Department. That might be just bad record keeping by the provider and they actually do provide a service. The obvious ones to ask are Eircom, SIRO, (or their retailers) and VM.

The Department might not tell you which provider has claimed to have plans for service at a given eircode as they might say that it's commercially sensitive information. However there's no harm in asking - under FOI, AIE, or GDPR, if necessary.

It is very unsatisfactory for those affected as they don't know what date between now and 2027 that they will receive a service or from whom. If the operator fails to deliver, the premises only becomes the responsibility of the NBP at the end of the seven years or close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

clohamon wrote: »
    The department's official map is here.
    https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

If your house is amber or in an amber area then you're in the NBP. However if you're in an urban area it seems likely that Eircom, SIRO or VM will cover these amber spots over time anyway.

The blue areas represent not only current deployment but also 'credible plans'. The department has allowed 7 years for these plans to materialise (ie the length of the NBP intervention roll-out). So even though some eircodes are blue, the service might not be available until 2027. It's also important to note that blue areas are mostly CSO settlement boundaries and not necessarily deployment maps supplied by the providers.

The red blobs represent unresolved eircodes that could not be associated with any provider by the Department. That might be just bad record keeping by the provider and they actually do provide a service. The obvious ones to ask are Eircom, SIRO, (or their retailers) and VM.

The Department might not tell you which provider has claimed to have plans for service at a given eircode as they might say that it's commercially sensitive information. However there's no harm in asking - under FOI, AIE, or GDPR, if necessary.

It is very unsatisfactory for those affected as they don't know what date between now and 2027 that they will receive a service or from whom. If the operator fails to deliver, the premises only becomes the responsibility of the NBP at the end of the seven years or close to it.

On the official map, its showing as the amber dot. On the other map you linked previously, it shows as a red blob. Should point out I current am connected to ADSL with vodafone getting a massive 12Mb DL 0.6 Up.

On the official map, its showing as the amber dot. On the other map you linked previously, it shows as a red blob. Should point out I current am connected to ADSL with vodafone getting a massive 12Mb DL 0.6 Up.

You are in the NBP. However one of the other providers might get to you with FTTP before National Broadband Ireland. Check if you're on the Eircom or SIRO urban FTTP roll-outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

Dero wrote: »
    Nothing concrete here, but it makes happy reading. It would be nice to see some actual connections by the end of this year.

National Broadband Plan to be completed ahead of schedule and 'under budget'

Excerpt from the interview on Newstalk.

Also, seems heavydawson got in just before me.

Very frustrating that Jess Kelly still doesn't knock the 5G making the NBP obsolete argument on the head - not sure she gets the tech at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

You might have already checked your Eircode in here: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/can-i-get-eir-fibre-broadband/

I have checked all other relevant maps and they show that a property I might be moving to soon now has high speed broadband available (it's rural but only a few miles outside of the nearest town), there's a live cabinet out a mile away. I then went onto the regular eir webpage to check also and it provided me with a list of plans I could get. So I hope I can get it, I might see if I can somehow contact someone in a neighbouring house to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Orebro wrote: »
    Very frustrating that Jess Kelly still doesn't knock the 5G making the NBP obsolete argument on the head - not sure she gets the tech at all really.

This 5G nonsense is still coming from Ivan Yates if you listen to the excerpt from his show.

The Cush wrote: »
    This 5G nonsense is still coming from Ivan Yates if you listen to the excerpt from his show.

Agreed, but she keeps failing to debunk it being a viable alternative to the NBP which is very frustrating to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Agreed, but she keeps failing to debunk it being a viable alternative to the NBP which is very frustrating to listen to.

I honestly find it amazing that Jess Kelly has made a career from been a "tech expert", I've listened to her on and off over the years. She really hasn't a clue beyond reviewing this years latest smartphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

She really hasn't a clue beyond reviewing this years latest smartphone.

Which is all the great unwashed are interested in, tbf.

Adrian Weckler is pretty well clued in imo, but his twitter is mainly fluff about how good the new iPhone camera is.

The sad reality is that in-depth, analytical critique of tech has a limited audience. And those who are interested wouldn't bother listening to someone like a NT 'tech expert', whoever it may be.

Article in today's SBP.
    NBI to slash service providers’ broadband connection fees

Company in charge of state’s network rollout plans to stimulate demand by reducing sign-up costs

National Broadband Ireland is planning to heavily discount connection fees to encourage internet providers and customers onto its new network, the Business Post has learned.

NBI, headed by David McCourt, the US businessman, was last year awarded the contract for the state's multi-billion National Broadband Plan which aims to deliver high-speed broadband to about 540,000 homes and businesses across rural Ireland.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/nbi-to-slash-service-providers-broadband-connection-fees-748425da

NBI, in an industry presentation in March, said they plan to have passed 115,000 premises by the end of 2021 and a further 90,000 by the end of 2022.

They also detailed a series of proposed promotional incentives to stimulate demand in the first 2 years of rollout.
    These include heavy discounts, and in some cases a full waiving, of the standard €100 connection fee charged to retail service providers (RSP).

Within a designated pre-order window, RSPs would not be charged any fee for connecting to the NBI network. If a pre-order is cancelled, a €2.50 fee would be applied.

It is up to the broadband service provider to decide whether it wishes to pass any discounts on to its customers, the ultimate end-users in homes and businesses across the country. outside of the pre-order window, the standard €100 charge would apply.

"NBI are exploring promotional offers to incentivise early connections to the NBI network, and this is one such potential offer," a spokeswoman said.

Similarly, if a technician is required to complete a reconnection to the network, the standard €100 fee will be charged.

If, however, the customer can be reconnected to the network without the need for a technician to visit the site, the fee will again be entirely waived under proposals being considered by NBI.

A customer may be reconnected if they are changing from one retail service provider to another or if they previously had a connection which had been discontinued.

A €2.50 charge will also be levied in instances where network speeds are being upgraded, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I've said that to myself before when she didn't have a clue what she was talking about, when she was discussing VPNs

Pique wrote: »
    Which is all the great unwashed are interested in, tbf.

Adrian Weckler is pretty well clued in imo, but his twitter is mainly fluff about how good the new iPhone camera is.

IrelandOffline’s fearless chairman once started a thread entitled “Tech journos are clueless

……..the thread bumbled on and Weckler himself joined in (Lebow). There wasn't much of a meeting of minds on the thread, but in the midst of it Weckler went public on twitter. This was considered foul play.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

His research is often lacking. Critical comments of his work obviously don't go down well.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

NBI surveying poles in Ballinasloe last week (Thursday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

kaizersoze wrote:
    NBI surveying poles in Ballinasloe last week (Thursday).

judging by the jess kelly interview it's going to start in every county fairly soon, hoping to get in on some of the early connections, it will be litteraly life changing once we have it installed

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Haven't noticed any vans around here yet (Claregalway) even though we were supposed to be in the first batch of Galway surveys (Claregalway, Clarinbridge, Furbo). Assuming they are just like the OpenEir vans with the NBI logo on the side?

I'll be straight on the gig plan when it becomes available, sick of leaving my PC on all night to download datasets for work that would be done in no time with a proper connection.

At least the NBI website has been updated so you can check by Eircode whether your house has been surveyed - saves looking out for the vans!

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

At least the NBI website has been updated so you can check by Eircode whether your house has been surveyed - saves looking out for the vans!

How do you do that?

padraig.od wrote: »
    How do you do that?

Enter your eircode here - https://nbi.ie/#

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

A lot of this will depend on how quickly Open Eir can replace poles. In my parents area 90% of the poles would need to be replaced.

I don't think Open Eir will hire extra contractors to do this?

In my opinion the majority (<50%) of Open Eir's rural network will need to be replaced. Nothing scientific behind this, just my visual observations of the poor state of the rural network, when im travel around the country.

user1842 wrote: »
    I don't think Open Eir will hire extra contractors to do this?

They probably will if they have a contract that pays them cold hard cash to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

Dero wrote: »
    They probably will if they have a contract that pays them cold hard cash to do it.

Yes they will, but in what time-frame? does the extra cost of hiring lots of contractors to replace poles outweigh the pole rental costs they would get.

It might be more cost efficient for them to replace poles on a longer time period using their current contractors.

That was my point.

• Advertisement

user1842 wrote: »
    Yes they will, but in what time-frame?

I suppose that depends on the detail of said contract.

Having said that, I do agree with you that in the absence of other factors they won't be in any hurry to do it. I presume though that they won't be getting any rental income on them until NBI have fibre actually on them, and that can't happen if the poles are defective, so there is some incentive to play ball.

Advertisement