Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum speed considered fiber broadband.

Options
  • 13-05-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I had a call with vodafone as I would like to get either FTTH or FTTC and they informed me the max speed would be 18 mega bits per second.

Is that even considered broadband as I thought 50mbps was required to be considered Fiber?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,414 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

grimeire wrote: »
    I had a call with vodafone as I would like to get either FTTH or FTTC and they informed me the max speed would be 18 mega bits per second.

Is that even considered broadband as I thought 50mbps was required to be considered Fiber?

New law says FTTC is "part fibre".

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

7Mb is the lowest FTTC profile. Some may opt to not sell it that low.

Its not about the speed, its just how its delivered. FTTC is just souped up copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The EU's broadband objective is at least 30 Mbps by 2020 and 100 Mbps by 2025, that can be delivered by fibre, mobile or copper.

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/broadband-europe

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭grimeire

Thanks for the responses.

I was hoping 18mb was lowered than the minimum considered for fiber so I could hopefully get them to fit a fiber connection since there is a fiber cabinet within 50m of my home.

I don't understand why they are putting fiber cables to all the telephone poles around the place when all the coverage sites I check say FTTH still is not available to my area.

Working from home with Mobile broadband at the moment is a disaster cuz the speeds are all over the place since lockdown started. Moving to a 18mb connection will only make things worse.

I guess it is mobile broadband for the foreseeable future for me. On the bright side I'm lucky to have a job .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I was hoping 18mb was lowered than the minimum considered for fiber so I could hopefully get them to fit a fiber connection since there is a fiber cabinet within 50m of my home.

When you say there is a fibre cabinet within 50m of your home are you referring to the big green cabinet from which all the copper cable runs to each homes or one of those black fibre distribution boxes on the pole?

If it's one of the big green ones and your copper line was connected to it then you should be getting 100 Mbps FTTC/VDSL if within 50m. Maybe your line bypasses the cabinet and goes straight the the exchange, hence the much lower speed available.

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance

untitled2.jpg

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    When you say there is a fibre cabinet within 50m of your home are you referring to the big green cabinet from which all the copper cable runs to each homes or one of those black fibre distribution boxes on the pole?

If it's one of the big green ones and your copper line was connected to it then you should be getting 100 Mbps FTTC/VDSL if within 50m. Maybe your line bypasses the cabinet and goes straight the the exchange, hence the much lower speed available.

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance

untitled2.jpg
    Apologies the fiber roll out map shows my house is 0.1KM of a distance from the cabinet which looks still to be within the same range. Im not sure how the phone lines are run but it may not be as the crow flies. The cabinet in question is CHF1_004 and to find it just enter the eircode T23 H3AH on the rollout map as the cabinet is just to the right of it.
    https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

I was expecting speeds closer to what you mentioned but what the vodafone agent told me on the phone is the max would be 18mb. You may be right about the cabinet. Is there a way to check if it goes straight to the exchange? The cabinet also looks like it serves a big area so maybe he is taking into account congestion.

At the moment there is no telephone cable to my house as a storm knocked it down a few years ago. About 7 years ago i upgraded from dsl(was getting 0.8mb) to FTTC with Vodafone and after connecting they said the speeds were so slow that they couldn't connect me. This was after having an engineer come and upgraded the phone socket. They would not give me a reason why the speed were so slow. At the time I was waiting for them to send out the equipment i was using mobile broadband and found the speeds and price were far better than DSL so stuck with it. It is possible the issue then was with the phone line which they will have to replace since it is no longer attached to the house. I should probably mention that 2 winters in a row the phone line was hit by lighting. On both occasions I had to get a engineer out to fix it. The first time it fried the router and a sat receiver.

If they could guarantee I would always get close to 18mb and it was not for the crap upload speed I would take the 18mb but with the low upload speed it will slow me down too much with my work. For work alone I upload about 1TB of data a week and my download would be around the same.

Looks like digiweb are also reporting I can only get 18mb dl to my address.
    qfzDy6Z.png

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

18_5 is VDSL so we can rule out an ADSL only line from the exchange. The exchange(if churchill and not wellington) is about 4KM away so ADSL speeds would be even worse. Chances ares you're one of the further cabs otw to the exchange though it could be a close one and a bad line which would be good as repairs would be possible.

If you PM me your Eircode/LL number I'll see if your cab id is exposed by the database.

Update: OP is served by a distant cab, near enough max range. 18_5 is a valid prequal unfortunately.

Thanks to ED_E I now know that the cabinet serving my places is not the one 100m from my house which explains the crappy speeds.

As a few hundred meters up the road all the poles have Fiber spools on them. Checking on the digiweb site only some houses around the area can get FTTH(SIRO). Why is this. Even the houses closest to the poles do not show as having SIRO available. I would of assumed that any home within x distance of the pole would be able to avail of FTTH.
    jKCcZka.png

Also is it possible to get them to change the cabinet I am connected to. As CHF1_004 is only 100m from my home its not like they have to run a cable KMs. I can see my neighbour(commercial building) who should also be connected to the same cabinet as me as the building was there long before cabinet CHF1_004 was build just like my place. On digiweb the building shows as having FTTC with speeds of 100Mbit/s download and 20Mbit/s upload. I would assume that means he is connected to CHF1_004 as it is the only one within range to provide those speeds.

Advertisement