Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Fluppen wrote: »
    Eir already has the wiring in place along the road, my farm just wasn't included on their system so I guess there isn't that much extra work to do.

They won't be using eir's existing fibre cable. They will be overrunning with their own cable from the exchange.

They are only renting poles and ducts which will be subsidised to the tune of €1bn over the 25 year contract. I assume it's cheaper to roll out their own fibre initially than rent capacity on eir's fibre cabling over the duration of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

The Cush wrote: »
    They won't be using eir's existing fibre cable. They will be overrunning with their own cable from the exchange.

They are only renting poles and ducts which will be subsidised to the tune of €1bn over the 25 year contract. I assume it's cheaper to roll out their own fibre initially than rent capacity on eir's fibre cabling over the duration of the contract.

Really? I had read that here somewhere but the new Eir Cable passes by the end of my lane with one of those black boxy things just one pole further on so I assumed they would just link in there. Oh well, an extra fibre cable just for the three or four properties that Eir skipped on our road because we have long lanes, no wonder it's so expensive. I'm just happy there's a chance of getting something more than the 800kb down 120 up speeds that I get on my old copper cable

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

My status just upgraded to "surveying underway"! With an estimated delivery date of December 2020 to February 2021. Waiting 7-9 months doesn't seem so bad with my 10mb line

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I assume it's cheaper to roll out their own fibre initially than rent capacity on eir's fibre cabling over the duration of the contract.

It's not a question of pricing. They're building their own XGS-PON network, which means they need their own fibre all the way from their own OLTs in the "exchanges" to their own ONTs in the customers' premises. You can't build a PON network on someone else's PON fibre, it just doesn't work like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

TheSegal wrote:
    My status just upgraded to "surveying underway"! With an estimated delivery date of December 2020 to February 2021. Waiting 7-9 months doesn't seem so bad with my 10mb line

where in the country are you ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

fergus1001 wrote: »
    where in the country are you ?

I'm just outside of Claregalway in County Galway. Less than 500m from an existing OpenEir fiber connection point and 1.8km from a fiber cabinet so I'm assuming that's why I'm in the first batch of connections here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

is this still planned to take 7 years? the only internet i can get is 2.5mb and 600m up the road they are in the eir fibre catchment, breaks my heart seeing them fibre black yokes on the poles beside my house yet they didnt bother connecting my house :mad: and they last house they connected on the line is a empty farmhouse, it made no sense, and me and 4 neighbors all with big families have next to zero internet, im in sligo so i presume we are going to be last in the pot to get rolled out unfortunately :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

TheSegal wrote: »
    I'm just outside of Claregalway in County Galway. Less than 500m from an existing OpenEir fiber connection point and 1.8km from a fiber cabinet so I'm assuming that's why I'm in the first batch of connections here

how did you get to view your status and how did you raise a query about your status?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭BArra

you input your eircode here -> https://nbi.ie/map/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Mine updated too - scheduled for Jan-March 21 (happy enough with that)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭BArra

what area are you based?

Just outside Limerick (Ballyclough)

oscarBravo wrote: »
    They're building their own XGS-PON network, which means they need their own fibre all the way from their own OLTs in the "exchanges" to their own ONTs in the customers' premises.

Hadn't seen any official confirmation about the deployment of XGS-PON, did a search and found this overview presentation to Limerick City & County Council back in Jan.
    Technology overview

● NBI will deploy the latest fibre to the home technology known as XGS-PON technology.

● Minimum broadband speeds of 150Mbps available from year 1

● NBI have committed to increase the minimum broadband speeds for customers over the life of the contract

● Minimum speeds of 300Mbps by Year 5 and 500Mbsp by Year 10

● Business customers can avail of symmetrical products e.g. 200Mbps, 1Gbps, 5Gbps and 10Gbps available from year 1

Mc Love wrote: »
    Just outside Limerick (Ballyclough)

The NBI presentation above to the Council would be of interest to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

My area is still pending survey :(

Im clinging on to the hope it will be updated soon as per Hazel saying it was recently surveyed. I'm in Headford, Galway area.

The NBI presentation above to the Council would be of interest to you.

Yeah looks good for the end of the year/start of next year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Rochestown Cork - Surveying Underway - Dec 2020 to Feb 2021. Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Rochestown Cork - Surveying Underway - Dec 2020 to Feb 2021. Delighted!

Surveying Underway
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    Dec 2020 to Feb 2021

Woohoo! Just outside Carrigaline, Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Just checking where I'm at in west Galway there and getting Premises Pending Survey. I'm guessing that lack of any survey date indicates that these premises are looking at a date after late 2021?

Although I'd prefer to know a date etc. I much rather later reasonably accurate dates than early pie in the sky dates.
    mp3guy wrote: »
    Surveying Underway
    Your premises is in the Intervention Area and surveying is underway in the locality. High speed fibre broadband is anticipated to be available in your area within the date range below.*

Date:
    Dec 2020 to Feb 2021

Woohoo! Just outside Carrigaline, Cork.

That's great news. Hopefully they're able to stand by these anticipated availability dates.

Jim

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I Smell a Shill

It's not a question of pricing. They're building their own XGS-PON network, which means they need their own fibre all the way from their own OLTs in the "exchanges" to their own ONTs in the customers' premises. You can't build a PON network on someone else's PON fibre, it just doesn't work like that.

Not true. It very much was a question of cost, it was stated as much in one of the Committees. There was also no technical impediment to using the exiting OpenEir cabling. Spare capacity had been left in the cable for such expansion, NBI chose not to use it, likely setting the project back months if not years. Again, the technical knowledge in this forum is sorely lacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Dero

Again, the technical knowledge in this forum is sorely lacking.

That last sentence is wholly unnecessary.

Not true. It very much was a question of cost, it was stated as much in one of the Committees. There was also no technical impediment to using the exiting OpenEir cabling.
    Of course there's a technical impediment. The cabling outside my house is connected through two splitters to a Huawei GPON OLT. Can you explain to me the lack of technical impediment on using that same cabling to connect an XGS-PON ONT to a Nokia OLT?
    Spare capacity had been left in the cable for such expansion, NBI chose not to use it, likely setting the project back months if not years.
    There is no regulated access product that NBI could have availed of in order to use open eir GPON fibre to build its XGS-PON network. Pole and duct access is a RAP, which gives the level of certainty that's required in a project of this scale.
    Again, the technical knowledge in this forum is sorely lacking.

Feel free to contradict what I've posted above, ideally with actual facts rather than ad-hominems.

open-eir are using 3x12 aerial fibre cable, it was posted here previously that eir are using 1x12 for the rural rollout with 1x12 as a spare which leaves 1x12 unused.

Would it be technically possible for NBI to use this spare tube of fibres for their rollout which would directly connect to their OLT hardware in the exchange and passthrough the open-eir splitters on the poles and go direct to NBI's own DPs?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

open-eir are using 3x12 aerial fibre cable, it was posted here previously that eir are using 1x12 for the rural rollout with 1x12 as a spare which leaves 1x12 unused.

Would it be technically possible for NBI to use this spare tube of fibres for their rollout which would directly connect to their OLT hardware in the exchange and passthrough the open-eir splitters on the poles and go direct to NBI's own DPs?

Why go over a network that you can't control...

Technically?

listermint wrote: »
    Why go over a network that you can't control...

Technically?

Same for poles and ducts that you don't own and will use to transit to the intervention areas, you sign an agreement and pay the associated annual fee.

Same for the eir exchanges you will use where you will locate your OLT hardware.

A few years ago the entity that was to become NBI requested enhanced NBP access to eir's pole and duct infrastructure, which they received. Access to the fibre cabling was not requested, the question above was a general question; is it possible for two operators to share the same multi-strand fibre cable and connect to their own hardware at either end?

Same for poles and ducts that you don't own and will use to transit to the intervention areas, you sign an agreement and pay the associated annual fee.

Same for the eir exchanges you will use where you will locate your OLT hardware.

It's not the same. Pole and duct access, and exchange co-location, are regulated access products. Access to alleged spare fibre on poles is not. Eircom don't get to withdraw access to RAPs without ComReg approval; they can withdraw access to non-regulated products any time they want.

So, if you're planning one of the biggest infrastructure projects in the history of the state, would you design it based on the goodwill of the incumbent telecoms operator, or on the basis of regulatory certainty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 I Smell a Shill

Of course there's a technical impediment. The cabling outside my house is connected through two splitters to a Huawei GPON OLT. Can you explain to me the lack of technical impediment on using that same cabling to connect an XGS-PON ONT to a Nokia OLT? There is no regulated access product that NBI could have availed of in order to use open eir GPON fibre to build its XGS-PON network. Pole and duct access is a RAP, which gives the level of certainty that's required in a project of this scale.

Feel free to contradict what I've posted above, ideally with actual facts rather than ad-hominems.

I'll disregard the fact that GPON and XGS-PON can co-exist on the same fibre for this discussion.

You would have been more correct to have said that some of the 36 fibres in the cable outside your home are connected to splitters. There was spare capacity designed and built into the network where individual fibres have been fusion spliced direct to the exchange. Technically NBI could have used this as stated by Carolan Lennon on 25th June 2019
    However, our 300,000 network is what we call a passive product, and a successful bidder could use the spare fibres and connections we built in when we were building that, but the remaining bidder has decided not to do that, and to build through the 300,000 instead. That decision could be revisited, and they could decide to use that passive product, which would save some time because they would not have to build through the 300,000.

Matt Yardley of Analysys Mason stated on 12th June 2019 that:
    Eir did make an offer of a product to traverse the area with 300,000 premises but the bidder chose not to take that up in the end

I never mentioned anything about regulated products in my original post. I simply stated that technically the pre-existing cabling could have been utilised.

Let's face it, some ex-Comreg heads in the Department thought they'd bully eir into submission and it backfired on them and we are now left with a mishmash of products being used when there is a perfectly serviceable fibre network built in large parts of rural Ireland that should have been used.

I notice operators are already complaining about the pricing that has emerged today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^
    It's kinda crazy. From our local exchange alone there's numerous clusters of houses that fall under the NBI (I know Eir did this intentionally as they thought they'd get the fillin NBI contract). The 3 houses near me not covered by the OpenEir FTTH rollout will mean they'll have to run over 6km of fibre cable to service them. For 3 houses... Times that by multiples of kms to get the other clusters from one exhange and it just seems plain bonkers and a massive waste of time and resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Building a new house in the Ballygarvan area Cork and its saying I will have fiber Dec 20 to Feb 21:D:D:D:D I should be moving into my new fancy house this time next year so this is fantastic news for me.

I have had 1gb FTTH for a number of years in cork and it was brillant but sold my house to build my new one and honestly not having decent broadband almost put me off building. Living in rented a house for the coming year near UCC and I'm only getting at best 15mb and working from home is such a pain in the ass with crap BB. This is one of the best news Ive had all year, can set up my home office now properly now. We will all be working more from home from now on even past this COVID for environmental reasons so this NBI is a critical piece of infrastructure for the country.

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Advertisement

You would have been more correct to have said that some of the 36 fibres in the cable outside your home are connected to splitters.
    No, I wouldn't, because there's no bulk cable outside my house. There's only access fibre. If I follow the access fibre back to my nearest DP and from there back to the primary splitter, it's possible that there's spare fibre up to that point, but that's a chunk of fibre that needs to be overbuilt anyway.
    There was spare capacity designed and built into the network where individual fibres have been fusion spliced direct to the exchange. Technically NBI could have used this as stated by Carolan Lennon on 25th June 2019
    Maybe there's spare capacity on some poles. There are definitely many routes with no fibre at all, and those will have to be built out from scratch anyway.
    I never mentioned anything about regulated products in my original post. I simply stated that technically the pre-existing cabling could have been utilised.
    Sure, and technically the pre-existing cabling could be used by any company for any purpose that suits them, but the simple fact of the matter is there is no existing process for accessing this alleged spare fibre.

Answer me this: how much would eir have asked for access to the fibre?
    Let's face it, some ex-Comreg heads in the Department thought they'd bully eir into submission and it backfired on them...
    Poor, downtrodden eir.
    ...and we are now left with a mishmash of products being used when there is a perfectly serviceable fibre network built in large parts of rural Ireland that should have been used.
    Mishmash? There's an end-to-end XGS-PON network being built that wil be wholly owned by NBI. How is that more of a mishmash than owning some of their own fibre, and renting some other fibres from a company that's under no regulatory obligation to continue to provide access to it for the lifetime of the contract?
    I notice operators are already complaining of the pricing that has emerged today.
    The pricing is higher than other wholesale pricing available in the market. Of course they're complaining about it. You think they should just accept whatever price they're given without question?

Advertisement