Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

listermint wrote: »
    Hooked by whom to what.

They are with Eir as their provider but I saw a few NBI vans in the area surveying so I presume it was them who connected the lines. Their whole road is showing as in the intervention area. They live on a country road just outside the city.

I assume Eir can't just come in and start connecting people that are in the intervention area even though they previously said unavailable or can they?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Jofspring wrote: »
    I assume Eir can't just come in and start connecting people that are in the intervention area even though they previously said unavailable or can they?

They can.

westyIrl wrote: »
    They can.

Wow, so years of Eir telling them they can't connect their road of about 40 houses to speeds higher than 3mb, but then NBI start moving in to survey the area and they are connected within a few weeks to 1000mb.

Will be interesting to see if this becomes a bit of a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Wow, so years of Eir telling them they can't connect their road of about 40 houses to speeds higher than 3mb, but then NBI start moving in to survey the area and they are connected within a few weeks to 1000mb.

Yep. It was bound to happen. It's only the scale to which it happens is the question. I'd be surprised if Eir's 300k FTTH would have occurred at all in the absence of the NBP on the horizon.

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Also NBI are compensated from the government subsidy for any of the premises taken out of the intervention area by one of the commercial operators.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-11-05/891/
    https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-11-27/215/

• Advertisement

They live on a country road just outside the city.
    Roughly what area? I'm in the Murroe area, unfortunately not being surveyed at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    Makes me wonder when the time comes will he even upgrade the rural FTTH service from Gpon to XGS-PON in the year's ahead when it is needed. Eir's Urban rollout and the NBI (mostly very rural) will all be fully XGS-PON, leaving only Siro and Eir rural on GPON for now.

SIRO has been trialing XGS-PON before OpenEir even looked at it. It got pushed fast in OpenEir due to NJJs experience with it in Switzerland, while SIRO just takes the safe route with a new tech.

But SIRO will most likely be deploying it in parallel with their GPON on a different wavelength across the same fibres. That is no problem and SIRO trialed it like that.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    But SIRO will most likely be deploying it in parallel with their GPON on a different wavelength across the same fibres. That is no problem and SIRO trialed it like that.

So, not only in the same cable but on the same fibre, thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    So, not only in the same cable but on the same fibre, thanks for that info.

Correct. No issue whatsoever. And within the Huawei platform.

/M

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sounds like an easy upgrade so, hopefully the rural FTTH network will get upgraded to it when OpenEir eventually launch services beyond 1 gig, but I imagine we are a few years away from that yet.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Roughly what area? I'm in the Murroe area, unfortunately not being surveyed at the moment.

Rathuard Ballysheedy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭user1842

westyIrl wrote: »
    Yep. It was bound to happen. It's only the scale to which it happens is the question. I'd be surprised if Eir's 300k FTTH would have occurred at all in the absence of the NBP on the horizon.

Jim

This is good news for my parents as EIR told them they would get fibre this summer even though they are in the intervention area (told by a few people at Eir). If Eir fibre that area it would be about 20 houses gone from the intervention area. This makes sense to me as Eir have to replace 60 to 90% of the poles in the area, when doing this why not install fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Rathuard Ballysheedy area.

That's literally up the Mill Road from me - will be amazed if they roll it out faster now.

There was just a KN Circnet Van right outside my house but they never got out, and I saw a KN van around the block from me this morning on my cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

NBI email sent out to those that have registered their interest

They really seem to have hit the ground running. Hopefully they can keep it up and don't get too many delays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What sort of money will EIR likely earn per house connected via their own Fibre network compared to say a cluster of houses on the NBI Network and served by a non-EIR isp afterwards.

Might EIR be about to realize that their refusal to invest in fibre is about to damage them long term? Coupled with SIRO and Virgin in Urban area's they are sure to be under pressure. Once I am connected to NBI I will be sure to never give eir a penny again. I am currently an EIR customer on a ADSL2+ Exchange where Vodafone could not give me the same speed and suffered from continuous link sync drop issues, once I moved to EIR that disappeared again, EIR are obviously sabotaging other network operators on the EIR network.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Great to see that our area is the first in the country to be surveyed, going to be mad having proper broadband!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

theguzman wrote: »
    What sort of money will EIR likely earn per house connected via their own Fibre network compared to say a cluster of houses on the NBI Network and served by a non-EIR isp afterwards.

Might EIR be about to realize that their refusal to invest in fibre is about to damage them long term? Coupled with SIRO and Virgin in Urban area's they are sure to be under pressure. Once I am connected to NBI I will be sure to never give eir a penny again. I am currently an EIR customer on a ADSL2+ Exchange where Vodafone could not give me the same speed and suffered from continuous link sync drop issues, once I moved to EIR that disappeared again, EIR are obviously sabotaging other network operators on the EIR network.

Lads eir don't give a feck in general, can't see them changing at all unless there's real competition, their customer care executive is appalling, they know they've virtually a monopoly and just basically so as they pls, if run properly it could be so good, but it'll never happen

I'm quite out of the loop with regards pricing because I've never had proper broadband. How much am I likely to have to pay a month for decent fibre speeds? I can deal with 50Mbps, 100Mbps etc.

e29.99 up to 150 MB

Lads eir don't give a feck in general, can't see them changing at all unless there's real competition, their customer care executive is appalling, they know they've virtually a monopoly and just basically so as they pls, if run properly it could be so good, but it'll never happen

But they've shown in the last few pages that they can simply flip a switch and communities that have been starved of high speed broadband can now avail of it all because NBI have been sniffing around.

theguzman wrote: »

• Advertisement

Hopefully if Eir continue to upgrade areas in the intervention area it allows NBI move on quicker to other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

For those who have had their area surveyed? What does it say in the NBI website?

Does it give a timeline of when you'll be connected? I assume speeds will be minimum 150Mb for everyone or is that area dependent?

NBI communication really is good the last while. Guessing those that havent been surveyed yet, will likely be looking at 2022 and beyond?
    Hopefully if Eir continue to upgrade areas in the intervention area it allows NBI move on quicker to other areas.

Goes back to what I was wondering the last day. If Eir decide (lets activate the cabinet here) and people get speeds of 30Mb, that will theoretically rule those out of getting 150Mb from NBI right? So its sort of would you prefer FTTC soon or FTTH in 1-2 years. Or for those in the Intervention plan remain so from here on in unless they can actually get proper FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

if only they would give us a timeline of when they are conducting the surveys that would give us an idea of when each area could expect to be connected

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I just noticed this on the mailchimp sign up page for NBI's expression of interest form (not the version on the website). When they mention OLT on it is that a sign that they'll possibly give out connection timelines by OLT and finish off an OLT area before they move onto the next area? I'm more than likely reading too much into it but would be great if they did that rather than leaving the houses far away from the OLT longer than those close to it.

Or is it already known what way they are going to build out the network?

Would KN (Circnet) Vans being in the area any indication that we could be close to having Eir switch on the fibre around the area?

Mc Love wrote: »
    Would KN (Circnet) Vans being in the area any indication that we could be close to having Eir switch on the fibre around the area?

Was talking to my father in law and he said it was KN vans in the area before NBI arrived in so KN must have done the connection for Eir.

Yeah they've been down our cul de sac a few times but I'm just thinking they've taken a wrong turn as it happens quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Xithus

Looking at the DCCAE Map, 7 houses in that estate are eligible for NBP and the remaining are not.

The only party who can change this is the DCCAE. Good luck

The houses marked say the area will be surveyed. Do you reckon that's just nonsense they've stuck on the website? If they plan on running it on poles they would have to pass by a lot houses in the estate before they got to those, am I mad holding out hope they would wire up the entire estate?

Xithus wrote: »
    The houses marked say the area will be surveyed. Do you reckon that's just nonsense they've stuck on the website? If they plan on running it on poles they would have to pass by a lot houses in the estate before they got to those, am I mad holding out hope they would wire up the entire estate?

They will only get the state subsidy for each house in the intervention area they pass and a subsidy for each house in the intervention area they connect. Passing and connecting premises outside the intervention area involves extra cost and no subsidy.

• Advertisement

We were told last year the contract between the state and NBI would be published in due course, redacted I assume, when will we see it I wonder?

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2019-11-26/391/

Advertisement