Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saracens Salarygate: Automatic Relegation?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,209 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Shleeveens....

Every which way they could twist the rules, they did

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

* heads straight to Stephen Jones' twitter account *

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

"In 2016-17 the overspend was more than £1.1m, in 2017-18 it was just over £98,000 and in 2018-19 it was £906,000."

The 2017/18 figure is interesting and shows how well they can probably alter their books. To drop the overspend by a million for a season and then go straight back up to a million the following season.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,478 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

"In 2016-17 the overspend was more than £1.1m, in 2017-18 it was just over £98,000 and in 2018-19 it was £906,000."

The 2017/18 figure is interesting and shows how well they can probably alter their books. To drop the overspend by a million for a season and then go straight back up to a million the following season.

Am I reading right that all of the property co-ownership and image rights parts are not included in those figures? Or are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Am I reading right that all of the property co-ownership and image rights parts are not included in those figures? Or are they?

I couldn't make heads or tails of that myself. I'm assuming they're included in those figures to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is this Stephen Jones you're talking about? He's spinning so hard on this. I'm going from memory but apparently there are 4 scales of breach which are accidental, negligent, reckless and deliberate or something. Saracens were found to be reckless. To be found deliberate they would have basically needed a signed note from Wray saying 'We are about to breach the cap and we're well aware of it. Kind regards, Nigel'. Reckless and deliberate breaches basically have the exact same sanctions available.
    The disciplinary panel, led by Lord Dyson, accepted that Saracens' breaches of the regulations were "not deliberate" and had advised against their relegation, believing it would be a disproportionate punishment.

From reading that it’s not spin, it’s what the report says.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Sarries claimed based on legal advised they got themselves it is ok . PRL says it is not ok and at the end of the day it only matters what PRL say. If sarries thought what they were doing was OK they'd have just asked PRL not created a 3 million pound legal shield

Sarries claimed based on legal advised they got themselves it is ok . PRL says it is not ok and at the end of the day it only matters what PRL say. If sarries thought what they were doing was OK they'd have just asked PRL not created a 3 million pound legal shield

No, I was asking whether the "over the cap" figures in the sky news article are including all the image rights and co-ownership deal figures or if they are in addition to the "over the cap" figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The Itoje hospitality contract, despite being on the lower end of the scale, stinks to high heaven to me.

Getting money from an "independent" company, which is run by the daughter of the majority investor, to do hospitality for events they have no evidence of him turning up to?

Also, does that particular disclosure not give lie to the narrative of the players not being aware? If he was receiving money for events he was not it turning up to (important to note they specifically said no evidence rather than didn't attend i suppose) surely this would have stood out?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

No, I was asking whether the "over the cap" figures in the sky news article are including all the image rights and co-ownership deal figures or if they are in addition to the "over the cap" figures.

Including

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »
    The Itoje hospitality contract, despite being on the lower end of the scale, stinks to high heaven to me.

Getting money from an "independent" company, which is run by the daughter of the majority investor, to do hospitality for events they have no evidence of him turning up to?

Also, does that particular disclosure not give lie to the narrative of the players not being aware? If he was receiving money for events he was not it turning up to (important to note they specifically said no evidence rather than didn't attend i suppose) surely this would have stood out?

Previous rumours were of a players wife (may or may not have been a Sarries rumour)turning up for a one hour shift behind the bar and getting paid £xx,000 for the hours work. These “side deals” are common in the premiership apparently. Come to our club we’ll get your partner a job at one of the sponsors businesses.

I imagine Sarries don’t want their books opened up so people can see all the side stuff being done.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

* heads straight to Stephen Jones' twitter account *

You're not blocked? How is this possible??

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Interest free loans to players.

So the money was just resting in those accounts.

Still very odd that Saracens wanted this report published but wouldn't let PLR audit their books.

Is there a chance there's more mucky payments there or is the refusal on (perhaps) privacy grounds or something else?

Because if the books lined up with the report (which they were happy to release) they surely would have been happy to show the books and they wouldn't have needed to choose relegation?

Something still doesn't add up.

Still very odd that Saracens wanted this report published but wouldn't let PLR audit their books.

Is there a chance there's more mucky payments there or is the refusal on (perhaps) privacy grounds or something else?

Because if the books lined up with the report (which they were happy to release) they surely would have been happy to show the books and they wouldn't have needed to choose relegation?

Something still doesn't add up.

according to saracens (take take as you will).... the reason the chose regulation rather than open their books was that a forensic audit of their books could take a long time, which would leave their plans in limbo to much later in the seasons...

and that choosing regulation now means they can immediately start to make plans to get within the salary cap and plan for the championship.

whether its the whole reason to choose regulation i don't know, but there is some sense to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sydthebeat wrote: »
    according to saracens (take take as you will).... the reason the chose regulation rather than open their books was that a forensic audit of their books could take a long time, which would leave their plans in limbo to much later in the seasons...

and that choosing regulation now means they can immediately start to make plans to get within the salary cap and plan for the championship.

whether its the whole reason to choose regulation i don't know, but there is some sense to it.

That is the same horse**** reasoning they used for not appealing the original punishment.

No one accepts relegation so their planning is a bit easier.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I read something somewhere yesterday where McCall wanted to just release the findings but PRL wanted further investigations. He didn't see the point in spending anything more on that (Money & Time), when the conclusions would come to the same outcomes.

Podge_irl wrote: »
    That is the same horse**** reasoning they used for not appealing the original punishment.

No one accepts relegation so their planning is a bit easier.

Yeah, it's nonsense. No company in their right mind would take a more severe punishment to essentially "get it over with" where a lighter punishment is available over a longer time.

Yeah, it's nonsense. No company in their right mind would take a more severe punishment to essentially "get it over with" where a lighter punishment is available over a longer time.

thats assuming relegation wasnt going to happen at the end of the forensic audit.

so sarries, being the ONLY body who knew exactly what was going on, chose regulation immediately rather than it being foisted on them 6 months later.

makes complete sense to me.

I wonder if they'll get the 2m parachute payment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Saying the salary cap is anti competitive and contrary to EU law is hilarious.

Using the "rule is stupid" defense it seems.

1. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Winters wrote: »

Especially seeing as they're one of the 13 golden shareholders who were involved in setting up the rules and agreed to abide by them.

2. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,768 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

sydthebeat wrote: »
      thats assuming relegation wasnt going to happen at the end of the forensic audit.

so sarries, being the ONLY body who knew exactly what was going on, chose regulation immediately rather than it being foisted on them 6 months later.

makes complete sense to me.

Sure, in the context of admitting guilt and essentially acknowledging an appeal is pointless (as in the first case) or that an audit is unnecessary (as in this case). That's not really what they've done though - they have pretended that they are accepting punishment when they think it is possibly unwarranted because it makes things more definite. It is absolute nonsense of the highest order.

3. Registered Users Posts: 21,610 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You'd have to imagine HMRC are following this closely. All of these co-investments and buying property etc are liable to benefit in kind.

4. Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Winters wrote: »

It's so much worse than that though. They claimed that because it was illegal and restricted competition, they could ignore it. Then they were found to have not deliberately breached the cap. They actually presented a case saying that they deliberately ignored the cap based on it being illegal and were found not to have deliberately ignored the cap. Its bizarre.

1. Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
        It's so much worse than that though. They claimed that because it was illegal and restricted competition, they could ignore it. Then they were found to have not deliberately breached the cap. They actually presented a case saying that they deliberately ignored the cap based on it being illegal and were found not to have deliberately ignored the cap. Its bizarre.

The speed limit shouldn't be 120 km/h on that road, so I'm perfectly entitled to drive at 150 km/h Your Honour.

2. Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,342 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Stephen Jones is increasingly comical on this. On one hand saying "It's in the report in black and white, they didn't deliberately cheat".

https://twitter.com/stephenjones9/status/1220124931977109504

On the other hand, after the report recommends a 35 point deduction and £5m+ fine, saying "Suspiciously high points deduction".

https://twitter.com/stephenjones9/status/1220239497851494401

He seems willing to accept some parts of the report but not others.

3. Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He's a shill.

4. Advertisement
      5. Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

The disciplinary panel, led by Lord Dyson, accepted that Saracens' breaches of the regulations were "not deliberate" and had advised against their relegation, believing it would be a disproportionate punishment.

Amusing to read people slobbering all over the independent Dyson Report but deliberately ignoring this key finding and recommendation because it doesn't suit their agenda!

Gobsh1te central!

Advertisement