Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The case of the racist blackcurrant drink

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I had a feeling that anybody who corrected him would be dismissed and accused of similar. While the emails to Dr Ebun are appallingly racist, Hyperbollix seems like a very angry man.

He does indeed, some of what he is angry about makes allot of sense but that type of anger makes you look unhinged.

Then again from looking at his profile on twitter he is caught up in an echo chamber that is probably re-enforcing all then beliefs that Ireland is a horrible ****hole out to get his children as they are mixed race.

I took a break from allot of the online crap over Christmas and it was great, didn't see any BS like this because normal people who don't frequent the likes of twitter/reddit dont actually talk about any of this ****e.

I'm the racist? Yeah, must tell my whiter than white, raised in Whitehall husband that when he's home later.

Note. I didn't say that you were a racist. I said I found your attitude (based on the quoted post) to be as bad as any racist.

I made no statement about you, as an individual, whether you are a racist or not.
    I chose to live here, yes indeed. I pay taxes, perform a critical service in the health sector I could get paid better for, considering the stress, unpaid work hours etc..but not once on landjng at the airport in Dublin was I informed that I'd have to take into account a majority white population who would find my skin, heritage, accent, hair etc something to take offense over.

Nope, because it's basic common sense.
    Perhaps I should have been told that simply being from a different part of the world means I need to be gentle with people not used to those who look, sound or dress different, all because THEY have an issue.

Except you're painting all behavior that doesn't immediately accept you as the same as them, as being racist. If they're uncomfortable with you, and not sit beside you on the bus, then it's racism. They're not projecting any aggressive racist gestures towards you, but you're seeking to find offense all the same.
    I'm responsible for racists? What kind of stupid thinking is this? It's not the racists fault - if I hadn't been so darn black (and beautiful), they'd never have been forced to scream " effing n***er" at me for no reason at all as I walked by

Yep, those people harrasssed by the KKK in the States had it coming to them, thinking they his right to live among white folk. Psshh. They should have chosen, like, their section of a segregated community, or something. Back of the bus, maybe.

And... we jump to the extreme reaction. You are simply unable to be moderate with this kind of topic, because that's not what I said.

There are outright racists who genuinely hate/fear other races. Those people are scum. No argument there. However, there are a crap-ton of people out there who are uncomfortable with other races, either due to upbringing or lack of previous positive exposure to them. They're not displaying overt signs of racism. They're not discriminating or expressing insulting comments about other races. Instead, they're avoiding you. Which is apparently unacceptable to you, and lumped together with the more aggressive signs of racists.

Either someone accepts you (regardless of whether you're a stranger or not) to be exactly the same as them, or they're a racist.

By the way, I have no issue with other races. I've traveled extensively and lived in populations with a majority of other ethnicity. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I quite enjoy it. My reference to Black american culture was because I don't like that culture, and what it represents to me. I don't interact with it, and I don't concern myself with it. That's a personal choice/opinion, and I don't project that dislike on to other people... Just as I don't particularly like "Redneck" culture in a variety of US States. However, I can understand how people can be uncomfortable with other races, and not want to mingle. That's a personal choice. It's when they take that discomfort and seek to cause pain to other people, that I find unacceptable.
    Facetiousness aside, because majority of your post deserved mockery, please explain how the history of Ireland (and don't assume I'm ignorant, or rather, actually, assume I am), how this history means I should take into account people's "feelings" to apologise for my presence here.

I guess YOU didn't see where I said this isn't a racist country but there are awfully nasty racist, prejudiced individuals living here. I'm so glad you
    in particular no longer live here.

You are an extremely intolerant person. :rolleyes:

Ireland didn't experience any real degree of immigration from non-white countries (except for some Asians) until the late 70s, and 80s, except perhaps in Dublin. For the remainder of the countryside, most people never really encountered any black or other ethnicity. Nowadays, that's a very different thing... but genuine exposure to other non-western cultures was extremely limited. That has an effect. You cannot snap your fingers and expect people to instantly accept everything about a people or culture that is different from theirs especially when they spend the majority of their time surrounded by their own ethnicity, and that culture is dominant. People need time to adjust.

Now, AS I've said, there's extremely little actual real racism in Ireland. There are degrees of being uncomfortable, with other races, or cultures, and THAT is what should be given a degree of patience towards. I've never suggested that you (or anyone) should tolerate direct racism.

Oh, and I'm back in Ireland each and every year... not that it needs to bother you because while I genuinely don't give a toss about a persons skin color or gender, I do care about their personality and attitude. I wouldn't be particularly interested in spending time with you. Not because you're a different color but because I don't like your attitude based on the manner of your posts. :pac: So. Mutual dislike. Perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

So please, more Blacks go there. They can’t discourage us from going where we want!
    Twitter

I've not seen much comment on this part of her tweet tirade but it should be brought to attention.

Is this not inciting racial tension? How is doing what she is calling for not going to instigate issues?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

She refers to herself as an Academic.......

That's gilding the lily a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mulberrytree

Note. I didn't say that you were a racist. I said I found your attitude (based on the quoted post) to be as bad as any racist.

I made no statement about you, as an individual, whether you are a racist or not.

Nope, because it's basic common sense.

Except you're painting all behavior that doesn't immediately accept you as the same as them, as being racist. If they're uncomfortable with you, and not sit beside you on the bus, then it's racism. They're not projecting any aggressive racist gestures towards you, but you're seeking to find offense all the same.

And... we jump to the extreme reaction. You are simply unable to be moderate with this kind of topic, because that's not what I said.

There are outright racists who genuinely hate/fear other races. Those people are scum. No argument there. However, there are a crap-ton of people out there who are uncomfortable with other races, either due to upbringing or lack of previous positive exposure to them. They're not displaying overt signs of racism. They're not discriminating or expressing insulting comments about other races. Instead, they're avoiding you. Which is apparently unacceptable to you, and lumped together with the more aggressive signs of racists.

Either someone accepts you (regardless of whether you're a stranger or not) to be exactly the same as them, or they're a racist.

By the way, I have no issue with other races. I've traveled extensively and lived in populations with a majority of other ethnicity. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, and I quite enjoy it. My reference to Black american culture was because I don't like that culture, and what it represents to me. I don't interact with it, and I don't concern myself with it. That's a personal choice/opinion, and I don't project that dislike on to other people... Just as I don't particularly like "Redneck" culture in a variety of US States. However, I can understand how people can be uncomfortable with other races, and not want to mingle. That's a personal choice. It's when they take that discomfort and seek to cause pain to other people, that I find unacceptable.

You are an extremely intolerant person. :rolleyes:

Ireland didn't experience any real degree of immigration from non-white countries (except for some Asians) until the late 70s, and 80s, except perhaps in Dublin. For the remainder of the countryside, most people never really encountered any black or other ethnicity. Nowadays, that's a very different thing... but genuine exposure to other non-western cultures was extremely limited. That has an effect. You cannot snap your fingers and expect people to instantly accept everything about a people or culture that is different from theirs especially when they spend the majority of their time surrounded by their own ethnicity, and that culture is dominant. People need time to adjust.

Now, AS I've said, there's extremely little actual real racism in Ireland. There are degrees of being uncomfortable, with other races, or cultures, and THAT is what should be given a degree of patience towards. I've never suggested that you (or anyone) should tolerate direct racism.

Oh, and I'm back in Ireland each and every year... not that it needs to bother you because while I genuinely don't give a toss about a persons skin color or gender, I do care about their personality and attitude. I wouldn't be particularly interested in spending time with you. Not because you're a different color but because I don't like your attitude based on the manner of your posts. :pac: So. Mutual dislike. Perfect.

It's common sense to expect people to be uncomfortable around me because THEY find other races unfamiliar?

I'm intolerant because I refuse to let people be rude, or abuse me because I'm foreign? Or because I refuse to let ignorance be an excuse to express foolish racial stereotypes around me because I expect the same unprejudiced respect that I give to everyone? Such disjointed thinking.

Yeah, intolerant of nasty racists and prejudiced unpleasant human beings. Why shouldn't I be? You expect people to ingratiate themselves or be supplicatory or submissive just because they have different roots from the majority population? To simply expect negative differential treatment because of it?

There's no reason anyone who is different and living their little peaceful life, (and isn't a criminal, or some sort of scrote- see, I even pick up the local lingo) should accommodate anyone else's prejudice. That is across the board no matter the society or community, be they a Chinese town with their first European residents, or an Irish town, with their first black ones.

Your awkward feelings because you find other colours/ religions/ physical ability/ sexual preference uncomfortable isn't a pass to make other people's lives miserable or to request those people to "understand" or make room for you "feelings". I don't apologise for who I am.

Deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

This person in my opinion seems to be carving out a niche career in the sphere of racism commentary using choice examples wherever she can manage to find them, or indeed if she cannot find something juicy then she seems to be well up for imagining it.

I think it is very telling that she subsequently deleted her below apology after the Hotel involved issued an ill-advised apology - No doubt due to the Hotels Management anxiously trying to be seen to be doing the right thing.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=498860&d=1577910254

Mango Joe wrote: »
    This person in my opinion seems to be carving out a niche career in the sphere of racism commentary using choice examples wherever she can manage to find them, or indeed if she cannot find something juicy then she seems to be well up for imagining it.

I think it is very telling that she subsequently deleted her below apology after the Hotel involved issued an ill-advised apology - No doubt due to the Hotels Management anxiously trying to be seen to be doing the right thing.

She is still a relative nobody, more of a storm in a teacup. She has missed the boat becoming a big personality from the likes of twitter as the tide is generally turning away from them.

Had it not been for this thread i wouldn't have been aware of this at all.

It's common sense to expect people to be uncomfortable around me because THEY find other races unfamiliar?

It's common sense that going to a country with a predominately white population, and little past exposure to other races due to lack of immigration, would suggest that some people are going to be less accepting. It's not overt racism.
    I'm intolerant because I refuse to let people be rude, or abuse me because I'm foreign? Or because I refuse to let ignorance be an excuse to express foolish racial stereotypes around me because I expect the same unprejudiced respect that I give to everyone? Such disjointed thinking.

You're intolerant because you can't allow even a tiny little bit of patience into the situation because you perceive any lack of acceptance as being racism. And again, you're going to the extremes which is not what we were discussing. The examples I mentioned previously, and responded to in your post, were lacking in any direct offensive behavior. It was people not sitting beside you on a bus... But no, you decide to redirect the discussion to aggressive examples of racism. Yup. Intolerant.
    Yeah, intolerant of nasty racists and prejudiced unpleasant human beings. Why shouldn't I be? You expect people to ingratiate themselves or be supplicatory or submissive just because they have different roots from the majority population? To simply expect negative differential treatment because of it?

More massive leaps of logic. Nowhere in my post did I suggest anything like that. Go on. Read back over what I posted, and point out where I expected..."people to ingratiate themselves or be supplicatory or submissive".

Here's a hint. You wont find me saying that.
    There's no reason anyone who is different and living their little peaceful life, (and isn't a criminal, or some sort of scrote- see, I even pick up the local lingo) should accommodate anyone else's prejudice. That is across the board no matter the society or community, be they a Chinese town with their first European residents, or an Irish town, with their first black ones.

Your awkward feelings because you find other colours/ religions/ physical ability/ sexual preference uncomfortable isn't a pass to make other people's lives miserable or to request those people to "understand" or make room for you "feelings". I don't apologise for who I am.

Deal with it.

Yup. Intolerant and a tendency to swing to extremes in seeking to validate your points. Once more, you're taking what I posted and exaggerating it to fit a victim mentality. My awkward feelings? LOL. Where did I write that? Or... even refer to colours/ religions/ physical ability/ sexual preference as a personal discomfort? Again.. I didn't even suggest such a thing. I made a reference to disliking Black American culture, and also Redneck culture. And you managed to get that I'm uncomfortable with colours/ religions/ physical ability/ sexual preference? Good lord. :pac::pac::pac::pac:

Little point discussing this further with you, since you've repeatedly shown a lack of respect in dealing with what I've actually written rather than reinterpreting them to suit your narrative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mango Joe wrote: »

I asked her about that and she claimed it was a fake apology. Not from her. Although she did then block me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Have no love for Niall Boylan but shes out of control, totally unhinged.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/QHBJ6s7LFZoT/

Scary.

• Advertisement

I asked her about that and she claimed it was a fake apology. Not from her. Although she did then block me.

That is so uniquely strange and very interesting - So someone bad and malicious momentarily hacked her Twitter account and posing as Dr. Joseph apologised for her inappropriate behaviour before feeling pangs of conscience and deleting this apology, but only doing so after the Hotel had stupidly apologised which seems to have strengthened her case and outlandish assertions.

I'm not a Twitter expert by any means but surely this "that's not my Tweet" defence has been desperately tried and proved to be nonsense before?

If it could be proved to be hers then surely her credibility and role in public life would both cease quite sharply, in which case I firmly believe Irish society of all faiths, ethnicities and backgrounds would be at no disadvantage whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Cordell

sligojoek wrote: »
    Scary.

The new normal. Everytime a black person is or perceive to be done wrong it must be because it's black.
    Also this kind of behaviour is fuelling real racism.

Cordell wrote: »
    The new normal. Everytime a black person is or perceive to be done wrong it must be because it's black.
    Also this kind of behaviour is fuelling real racism.

Of course there is a small minority of racists out there, small-minded, ignorant, low-IQ, odious people who deserve no time or respect from any quarter.

But I don't believe our society as is deserves to be casually accused of insidious everyday racism on this basis.

Its my view that the vast majority of Irish people couldn't give 2 s**** about peoples sexuality, race, social status etc as they're open and decent and have enough to be getting on with themselves.

But - If people are acting the Gob****e and merrily making hay at others peoples expense then they'll draw some very pointed criticism and rightly so......

Yes, it is. As long as they don't abuse you or do you wrong they have their right to be uncomfortable.
    As you put it, you must deal with it.

Irish people are not racist, or they are some of the least racist I have ever seen, but there may be some "discomfort" towards non local people, regardless if they're from other county, country or continent.

fyi, I'm not Irish either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Black women can't hold their liquor, everyone knows that.

Yes, it is. As long as they don't abuse you or do you wrong they have their right to be uncomfortable.

Irish people are not racist, or they are some of the least racist I have ever seen, but there may be some "discomfort" towards non local people, regardless if they're from other county, country or continent.

They can be as uncomfortable as they like, I can't help my skin colour, therefore I don't have to acknowledge their discomfort or make room for it.
    In comparison, as an example of physical feature that isn't a choice, we don't ask people with obvious physical impairment or an obvious skin condition or visible tumour to make room for people who aren't used to seeing them. Because that would be asking those people to limit their body confidence or self esteem.

The poster who brought this up went so far as to mention people of colour moving into KKK strongholds - some kind of weird analogy to visible minorities seemingly supposed to shrug off rudeness, exclusion etc just because others find their skin tone or a accent or whatever strange.

If you find difference discomfiting, that's your problem, not the person whose difference it is and it just shows disgraceful manners and low character to express this to a complete stranger, be it by being rude, or whatever way it's shown.

Also, show me where I've posted this country is racist. I've said there are racists here. That's a truth. And racism isn't always violently overt.
    Both the vocal kind and the insidious, subtle should be called out for the bullsh*t they are.
    It's bullying.

Not being Irish had nothing to do with it. This is about minorities of colour, you could be non-Irish and never experience any colour related negativity, (although you may experience other types of discrimination)

They can be as uncomfortable as they like, I can't help my skin colour, therefore I don't have to acknowledge their discomfort or make room for it.
    No, you don't have to do anything about it either way. You can't change your skin but also you can't change their mind. Live and let live.
    Not being Irish had nothing to do with it. This is about minorities of colour, you could be non-Irish and never experience any colour related negativity, (although you may experience other types of discrimination)
    Minorities of color are not the only one affected by racism, discrimination or xenophobia. It's not all about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Minorities of color are not the only one affected by racism, discrimination or xenophobia. It's not all about you.

This thread is about minorities of colour, ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

If you find difference discomfiting, that's your problem, not the person whose difference it is and it just shows disgraceful manners and low character to express this to a complete stranger, be it by being rude, or whatever way it's shown.

That's true. But some people particularly those who have lived more sheltered lives are just weary of difference, it's not racism, it's just human nature. If you have only ever seen green apples and one day a red one appears, you'd be a bit more cautious of it.

The only thing that eases this unease is familiarity, unfortunately that takes time.

I honestly think the number of people who have any genuine issue with the colour of another persons skin is tiny in this country. Negligibly small.

If you are black (for example) and some one has a problem with you, it is just plain wrong to assume that could only be because you are black. People of the same race or colour fall out every day.

It's not like racism is the only possible reason to fight with or dislike another person.

Yeah - we all know that. That's not what this thread was about or what my responses were referring to. Not what your post was about either, which was about colour related issues specifically in this country.

• Advertisement

This country doesn't have a history of colour discrimination or oppression so let's not invent one. This is not the US of A.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

This country doesn't have a history of colour discrimination or oppression so let's not invent one. This is not the US of A.

We also don't have any history of slave trading, or colonial oppression of any other people.

In short, we have fúck all to apologise for or feel bad about! We owe no one anything.....

...well, if you leave out that giant mountain of money that is:D

That's true. But some people particularly those who have lived more sheltered lives are just weary of difference, it's not racism, it's just human nature. If you have only ever seen green apples and one day a red one appears, you'd be a bit more cautious of it.

The only thing that eases this unease is familiarity, unfortunately that takes time.

I honestly think the number of people who have any genuine issue with the colour of another persons skin is tiny in this country. Negligibly small.

If you are black (for example) and some one has a problem with you, it is just plain wrong to assume that could only be because you are black. People of the same race or colour fall out every day.

It's not like racism is the only possible reason to fight with or dislike another person.

Yes that's true. And I'd be very surprised if a person who's a minority in this country didn't agree with that because it's just common sense.
    The problem is when to use that filter. If it's an issue because there is a dislike based on personality or something else, or if it's something that's been said, some sort of rivalry outside of colour etc..

It's not always easy to figure out people even without the colour filter, but it makes it a lot harder when it's there.

Some people of colour have extreme sensitivity to anything they see as racial, others don't. It really depends on the individual and their experiences. Social nuances can be complex even without differing cultural or racial or language backgrounds.

We also don't have any history of slave trading, or colonial oppression of any other people.

In short, we have fúck all to apologise for or feel bad about! We owe no one anything.....

...well, if you leave out that giant mountain of money that is:D

Indeed and there are joker's who will play the game to get the cash. Then again they see other home grown people doing it so it's not surprising.

It's why we need to be so careful and start removing the economic migrants who don't want to enter the system the right way.

No it isn't, and thankfully, because I've never felt more aware of race than when I lived in the US, which is such a polarised society.
    That said, denying racist incidents happen here or that discrimination doesn't happen here ... well, I'd be asking why a person would shut down that conversation.

These things have happened, on a personal level and to friends. Overall this country is ok, but that doesn't mean people affected shouldn't voice those incidents. They're real. And horrible.

It's a two way street though and some people use the fact Irish people are white and we should have some form of white man's guilt to shut down any and all criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Our problem is we’re between a rock (UK) and a hard place (USA).

We’re like a little Britain and a 51st state to these people we attract them; promising them freedoms only with added benefits and it must seem very lucrative indeed. All the while masquerading as ‘european’ we need to remember who and what we are will end up the worst of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Our problem is we’re between a rock (UK) and a hard place (USA).

We’re like a little Britain and a 51st state to these people we attract them; promising them freedoms only with added benefits and it must seem very lucrative indeed. All the while masquerading as ‘european’ we need to remember who and what we are will end up the worst of both worlds.

What we wants is hoors. Big bony hoors, and plenty of them.

WTF?

People have a "right to be uncomfortable" around other people with a different skin colour in Ireland in 2020?

Would they not in fact be better advised to pull their pin heads out of their arses and broaden their tiny minds, dim outlooks and myopic horizons instead of exercising such a ridiculous "right"?

Irish people have emigrated from Ireland in their millions since famine times - We of all people should recognise the rights of people from all nations to come here.

Let me help you out here - Forget about rights.... People have an obligation to conduct themselves as decent, respectful human beings when interacting with all other people.

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,092 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I've seen or heard of very little negative racism towards Africans in Ireland, i.e. by that I mean saying untrue negative things about them.

I feel we do the opposite.

I know teachers bumping up their grades in case you get accused of racism, if they failed.

I know people who let all other visitors in the back door of the house, opening the front door for Africans, lest they be accused.

I see plenty of them at college, so it seems they are making progress in education.

I see the State awarding them with leave to remain, even though their asylum claim was not accepted.

Advertisement