Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,317 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Does the general quietness of the thread indicate that flu season is over?
    Just in time for coronavirus?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭greep

lalababa wrote: »
    A few people I know have had this, I had a similar one 2 years ago, do many have it? Is it a super flu? WTF is it?
    Stage one :
    Zero energy, headache, no appetite, chills, sweats,dryish cough,no real phlem or mucous.lasts about 5days.
    Stage two:
    slightly more energy, no chills/sweats, no headache, small appetite, a little phlem , lasts about 4 days .

Guys, when did your headache go away?

I am on my 9th day today & no more fever, though still have cough & can hardly focus on anything... My head is very heavy & I feel as if I was drunk most of the time.
    I would sleep 12 hrs a day if I could....
    Hope this will be over soon...

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

greep wrote: »
    Guys, when did you headache go away?

I am on my 9th day today & no more fever, still have cough & can hardly focus on anything. My head is very heavy & I feel as if I was drunk most of the time.
    I would sleep 12 hrs a day I could....

You should be reaching the end of it now mate, 10 days seems to be the length. A trip to the docs may be in order otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

greep wrote: »
    Guys, when did you headache go away?

I am on my 9th day today & no more fever, still have cough & can hardly focus on anything. My head is very heavy & I feel as if I was drunk most of the time.
    I would sleep 12 hrs a day I could....

For 10-12 days I felt like that too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just in time for coronavirus?

I had this virus whatever it was over Xmas and again this week. fever, chills, absolute cold to the core & could not warm up. Sore muscles. Dog tired. Phlegm and coughing through the night but worst early morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I had this virus whatever it was over Xmas and again this week. fever, chills, absolute cold to the core & could not warm up. Sore muscles. Dog tired. Phlegm and coughing through the night but worst early morning.

Would you not have an immunity to it after recovering the first time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Might be on wrong thread but worth a try.
    I'm in my sisters house last 6 days. I have a runny nose like a tap and sneezing a day after getting here. A day later same symptoms with itchy eyes.
    I thought it was start of flu but my sister reckons it could be her sons cat. She goes into every bed if she gets the chance including mine.

Im rarely around animals cos I don't have any myself.

That does sound more like an allergy than the flu. Any trouble breathing?

A real flu is really miserable, especially the one that has been going around since December. If you had it you would know for sure.

If you will just be there short term over the counter antihistamines should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭endacl

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Just in time for coronavirus Kung Flu?
    Better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

tuxy wrote: »
    That does sound more like an allergy than the flu. Any trouble breathing?

A real flu is really miserable, especially the one that has been going around since December. If you had it you would know for sure.

If you will just be there short term over the counter antihistamines should help.

No prob breathing. Almost sure it's allergy. Headn home Sunday so will know for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    No prob breathing. Almost sure it's allergy. Headn home Sunday so will know for sure.
    Get Cetrine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Anyone now wondering if what we had over Christmas and since, may have been mild coronavirus??!
    Is it possible it was doing the rounds before China said anything and before people started being tested? People arriving home to Ireland for Christmas from all corners of the world, and we’re all out mixing together? I went out Xmas eve and the 28th and was sick by the 31st.
    It’s the awful cough we all seemed to have that really had me convinced it could have been. And the fatigue was so bad and lasted so long after, as did the cough.
    I didn’t feel properly normal again until about late jan early feb!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

A few people are wondering that indeed Cherrycola.

Between December and February there was a much nastier dose than the usual cold all right. Some people got really sick, others who rarely get respiratory illnesses were also knocked out. These included people who got the flu jab so it was either a very bad cold or I guess another type of flu? It was a strange one. I couldn't believe how bad I felt and I had it mild as the worst of it only lasted 36 hours tops for me.

I thought that it would be known by now though if it was Covid-19. My mother who's a nurse said swabs from the time would be needed to compare however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

I know I had a the flu vaccine and I got that one anyway and it was dire. I had crackling lungs and everything for days and lost a stone.

I didn’t get out of bed for about ten days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Raconteuse wrote: »
    A few people are wondering that indeed Cherrycola.
    And if we could avoid encouraging that foolishness, it might be one less reason for the "Arah, it's grand" brigade to carry on as normal acting left self-centred asshats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Was wondering this myself looking back at the posts. Another thing my mother developed this in February and ended up in a&e unable to breath and heart was irregular and almost came home due to the severity for her.

Ficheall wrote: »
    And if we could avoid encouraging that foolishness, it might be one less reason for the "Arah, it's grand" brigade to carry on as normal acting left self-centred asshats.
    True. There are those of us who simply wonder "Was it?" but still carry on following the protocol, but there is also the minority who'll tell themselves "shur it must have been - happy days".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Having chatted with a friend who is a nurse here in the States, they have had many cases of people with similar symptoms since January. they have been tested for flu and came back negative. Perhaps this has been going on for longer than we thought?

This sweating first was pretty bad so temperature was very high along with the chills. No one can say for certain but it makes you wonder.

It is not going to change our regimen here of hygiene for everyone else locally and that we allow into our home (which now is zero)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

It could have been another virus entirely too or an odd flu off-shoot. There were no reports of large scale fatalities or anything like that, although we did have a crazy flu eason.

NSAman wrote: »
    Having chatted with a friend who is a nurse here in the States, they have had many cases of people with similar symptoms since January. they have been tested for flu and came back negative. Perhaps this has been going on for longer than we thought?

This sweating first was pretty bad so temperature was very high along with the chills. No one can say for certain but it makes you wonder.

It is not going to change our regimen here of hygiene for everyone else locally and that we allow into our home (which now is zero)
    Could not believe the sweats. Literally a soaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Well, I guess everyone got it wrong. It didn't actually originate in China where it killed thousands of people, we actually had it in Ireland back in November and it was grand.

Yeah, I feel this is plausible. There was talk of the vaccine being the wrong one this year before the coronavirus seemed to be a thing.

I was very sick and had to stay in bed for a few days. Coughing loads and feeling absolutely horrible. Was actually wearing a mask at the start because I was coughing so much but then didn't need it once I resigned myself to bed.

But it wasn't like the flu. It didn't have that same extent of out-of-body feeling that comes with the delirium of flu.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I had something last week but the out of body thing was the most prominent symptom.
    Sore glands, tiny coughs with tiny amounts of phlegm, stabby phantom limb pains.

Something like conjunctivitis (and I've never had such issues) but eyes not stuck together just red and gritty.

Seems whatever it is it varies from one person to the next. If it is one and the same cause.

Actually I got that totally wrong. Posting early morning before coffee.

I did have delirium but I just wasn't as completely wrecked as when I had flu when I was young. I remember my mum being very worried about me because I was making no sense on the phone when she called me. She was telling me to go to the hospital simply based on how I sounded and what I was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Aha same here. I was completely functional with this but aware that I was mildly spaced out.

Ive had a headache for 2 days and bringing up actual phlegm now alll of a sudden (sorry!). Thinking of "the second wave" even though I know that refers to another incarnation of the virus emerging later on, not different symptoms popping up in one person a week later.

I'm never sick..once every year or two I might feel an incipient cold or flu but it burns off overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

I haven’t been outside the door since last thursday, closed my business on Friday, OH is the only one who leaves for work/shopping, goes straight upstairs when he comes home to change, shower, no panic buying, we’re in this for the long haul.

So no foolishness here, even if we did have it then, we don’t know that and never will. I’m not taking chances with mine and my families health, because even if we did have it what’s to say we wouldn’t catch it again, or be carriers to infect someone else?!
    Don’t assume we’re all members of the Ar’ah it’s Grand brigade!

Well, I guess everyone got it wrong. It didn't actually originate in China where it killed thousands of people, we actually had it in Ireland back in November and it was grand.

Everyone who thinks that it was Covid-19 back in December has previously had every strain of influenza possible so they are able to compare.

To add. I got sick the day after Christmas. Was in bits, very bad breathing problems - spent days in bed. Got blood tested for oxygen content. It was low, but not hospital required low. Two teens in the house got it and bounced back a lot quicker. The youngest didn't even take time off school. We put it down to manflu. Got to watch all of the Withcher... so not all bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

May the Gods have mercy on you all.

2018 shall forever be known by me as the year of The Great Sicknesses.
    2020 says:

Hold-My-Beer_Black_Mens_01_2e822841-2891-42b1-9371-ee877ee2e66f_grande.jpeg?v=1433482855

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

We had that awful dose at Christmas too, my 7 year old and husband got it the worst and took about 2 weeks to come right, my 4 year was down for a day or 2 then bounced back.
    What makes me doubt it was Covid-19 was I didn't catch it despite nursing them all which is strange considering how contagious Covid-19 is. My 4 year old also tends to get very chesty and wheezy when she gets a cold but she didn't have any of that with that dose, just a cough.
    I think it's just wishful thinking that we've already had this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement