Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest type of flu??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Lads, I've had it since New Years Eve and the cough is only starting to abate now but my voice still keeps going. Drinking honey in hot water all day today and I've still no voice.

So frustrating especially in work when people insist on speaking to me even though they know I've no voice.

Ya think started on 29th/30th December with headaches.

Now have still bit of sore throat. Bit of cough and phlegm. Yellow and orange coming from nose ocassionly. Small bit of blood came up today think as chest is just irritated from all coughing. Just the once.

I reckon another few days in this before fell half way normal again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

Any tips to get the voice back? Apart from honey, been trying that all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,099 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I find Oraldene throat and mouth wash great . I gargle with it at the sign of a sore throat and it really helps
    Available in chemists and its the blue one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

This must be a worldwide thing, had it just before christmas and I'm only now starting to feel normal. The tiredness even after the cough etc had gone was unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Probably a long shot if honey isnt doing it but I find this very soothing on a scratchy throat so might help.

Make this tea strong and concenteated and gargle when its cooled down to warm.
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/yogi-tea-throat-comfort-organic-60013085

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,304 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    This must be a worldwide thing, had it just before christmas and I'm only now starting to feel normal. The tiredness even after the cough etc had gone was unreal.

Apparently in the US they are being hit by B strain of virus which hits kids hard.

Most people by adulthood have encountered B strains before and as it doesnt mutate as much as A symptoms should be less severe for them.

Ireland seems to have A strains. Some people who got flu jab seem to be dodging flu but several people in my workplace who got the jab still got flu. Suggests multiple strains in circulation, at least one of which is in the jab.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

ceadaoin. wrote: »

Family in Canada had the same symptoms as we had in our house . We were on Skype sneezing and coughing but I presume we didn’t infect them via the internet !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Family in Canada had the same symptoms as we had in our house . We were on Skype sneezing and coughing but I presume we didn’t infect them via the internet !!

Thats some virus...;)

Glad I actually left the house today for the first time to come to work. Still sniffly and a little coughy.... but SO much better. Still tired and the energy levels are no where near where they should be but I will survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭adam88

Was nearly planning in goin to the doctors today if things didn’t improve. Throat like razor blades and my chest was on and off in terms of being bunged up most of the time I was sick as well. Really felt the worse I’ve felt in a long long time. Had to resort to taking sleeping tablets at night so that I could rest. Thankfully today was good. Few coughs and some phlegm but overall well improved. 10 days of near hell. Whatever it was, be it cold or flu, Twas fierce bad. Thank god im over it

May the Gods have mercy on you all.

2018 shall forever be known by me as the year of The Great Sicknesses. Yes. Twice. Between flu and chest infection and more flu and sinus infection, I don't know how I survived yet survive I did.

It left me with ongoing sinus problems though. Some weeks not a day will go by when I don't have an uncomfortable nose. Changes in temperature and certain smells drive it mad.

My ex used to insist on sleeping with the window open whatever the weather and I'm convinced it ruined me. I'd wake up with my nose in bits.

• Advertisement

Lads, I've had it since New Years Eve and the cough is only starting to abate now but my voice still keeps going. Drinking honey in hot water all day today and I've still no voice.

So frustrating especially in work when people insist on speaking to me even though they know I've no voice.

I think I have had this thing now 17 days.
    Last week was worst. Thought was clear at weekend but cough, phlem lingered .

Last two days it's back with vengeance, cough stopping me sleeping at night. Phlegm still there, headache and wiped out.

It's like a form of mental torture.

It's not funny, today was coughing like crazy and feeling mightily cold in the office. I concur with everyone else, the cough is the worst.

I have been taking inhalations at night and hot steamy showers in the morning just getting the steam into my lungs, but the irritant will not go away. Small lumps of crap are coming up.

Just wish it would go away at this stage, annoying is the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

So sorry so many are so ill..

I am happier here in my isolation .. I caught flu back in the late 1960s and it triggered CFS/ME and I have been ill ever since so no way risking it again.

Please give yourselves time to really get over it; I went back to work too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I had a bad dose that started on Christmas Day and lasted for at least 5 days. Not flu but worse than just a cold. It started by not being able to keep my eyes open, I dozed off in the armchair on Christmas day and then had trouble staying awake on Stephen's Day. Aching ribs, eyes hurt to move them, coughing and sneezing , a bit phlegmy. I had no loss of appetite but was absolutely exhausted for at least another week. The 7 yr old got a very sore throat and temperature and a terrible cough for a few days. The teenager who got the flu jab didn't as much as have a sniffle. I can highly recommend Metatone tonic a few times a day after the symptoms have subsided.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    I had a bad dose that started on Christmas Day and lasted for at least 5 days. Not flu but worse than just a cold. It started by not being able to keep my eyes open, I dozed off in the armchair on Christmas day and then had trouble staying awake on Stephen's Day. Aching ribs, eyes hurt to move them, coughing and sneezing , a bit phlegmy. I had no loss of appetite but was absolutely exhausted for at least another week. The 7 yr old got a very sore throat and temperature and a terrible cough for a few days. The teenager who got the flu jab didn't as much as have a sniffle. I can highly recommend Metatone tonic a few times a day after the symptoms have subsided.

Our GP claims that the present flu takes 5 to 6 weeks to go through you in over 60s

wrangler wrote: »
    Our GP claims that the present flu takes 5 to 6 weeks to go through you in over 60s

3 weeks later although up and functioning I still have not got my oomph back .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    3 weeks later although up and functioning I still have not got my oomph back .

Same here, can't get going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Sinus pain and swelling feels like the bridge of my nose is gonna explode. Actually felt sick with it this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Sinus pain and swelling feels like the bridge of my nose is gonna explode. Actually felt sick with it this morning.

Try garlic, if you can stomach it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

Worst affected people become so weak they can't walk, high temp, zero appetite, banging headache, bed ridden for about five or six days ....
    Awful thing the flu.

I've had the flu once in my life about eighteen years ago, and I've never forgotten it, it was that bad.

Yes, I had it about 12 years ago, and literally thought I was going to die. I had to constantly drink to avoid dehydration

• Advertisement

Try garlic, if you can stomach it
    Actually my lazy ass is about to order a Deliveroo and I've a hankering for pizza, which will come with a side of garlic bread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Actually my lazy ass is about to order a Deliveroo and I've a hankering for pizza, which will come with a side of garlic bread.

I'm pretty sure they sell odourless garlic tablets in the chemist, anyways it seems to be working for me after 3 rounds of antibiotics that did feck all

Worst affected people become so weak they can't walk, high temp, zero appetite, banging headache, bed ridden for about five or six days ....
    Awful thing the flu.

I've had the flu once in my life about eighteen years ago, and I've never forgotten it, it was that bad.
    You literally have to crawl to the toilet. The weakness and heaviness and aching of the limbs are the scariest part.

(Not that I have the flu now, just a sinus infection, but like you I've never forgotten the flu I got 15 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Crazy the things you think. I was sent home from school ( teaching) when it was obvious it was flu setting in. Decided I HAD to go through M and S and buy a new nightdress if I was going to be in bed a while! White it was!Sleepwalking I was. On autopilot. Only half there. Floating! zombie... Don't remember much after that until the deputy head sent round a great stack of exam papers for me to mark .. That was when I asked the dr for a second week off to recuperate ....

You literally have to crawl to the toilet. The weakness and heaviness and aching of the limbs are the scariest part.

(Not that I have the flu now, just a sinus infection, but like you I've never forgotten the flu I got 15 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,729 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yep I think I got this this week.

Hit me on Sunday. No energy, nose running, sore throat.
    Monday was worse so I stayed home and went to the chemist and got a pack of Benelyn Day and Night and their dry cough syrup

That plus lemsip, soup and rest (although I haven't slept right all week - keep waking up every hour or so).

Thursday evening now though and I'm definitely over the worst of it. Still have the cough and not much energy but nowhere near as bad as I was at the start of the week.

The damned cough as others have said is the worst part.

Here I am on week two and no sign of this damned cough abating. My nose feels like a slime factory! Its not fun at all...

All gone :-) some dose it was though

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Have quite a bad dose of a cold, I knew I was getting it earlier this week because I had an itch in my eyes that just wouldn't go away and I also knew that scratching it would just spread the germs further...

I've been holed up since Friday with a fever, congestion, runny nose and a sore throat from post-nasal drip. The general misery and fatigue of a cold is always a pain in the hole!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Pamsteer

john_doe. wrote: »
    All gone :-) some dose it was though

Hate to tell that you that you may have 'aftershocks', they won't be as extreme as what you've been through, just a couple of days with attenuated symptoms.

• Advertisement

Pamsteer wrote: »
    Hate to tell that you that you may have 'aftershocks', they won't be as extreme as what you've been through, just a couple of days with attenuated symptoms.

Last post was on the 16th, still coughing at night time. Energy levels are pretty crap, this weekend was sitting on the couch doing nothing all day saturday. Still not 100%... this has been a long long road so far. Just hoping this is the end of it now and I can start building energy levels.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement