Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lager Snobbery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Nobody has mentioned westvleteren yet. Any beer snob thread is incomplete without that.

You have to buy it in limited quantities from the door of the monastery where it is produced. You have to make an appointment to do so via phone, and it is hard to actually get through.

Generally considered the best beer in the world. You are supposed to agree not to resell it. The price is not extortionate, but it is resold for extremely high prices. They distributed it via normal channels once for a limited period to pay for repairs to the monastery.

The monastery is one of fourteen Trappist brewers. Trappist brewers are monks and the proceeds from the sales go to the monastery upkeep and to the local community. They are the only ones with such extreme restrictions on their sales. You can get most other beers in some off-licences. Mainly strong ale. Personally I like Orval a lot, which is a pale ale with a particular yeast in it that gives it a distinct flavor.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

have any of them 'Drank Piss' to be able to compare it to larger?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

decky1 wrote: »

Probably not. Worth doing a blindfold tasting session?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Have a try of Belgian Leffe beer, either the blonde or bruin... It'll ruin every other beer you've tasted and level you up to a 6.5% beer.

I'll drink Carlsberg in a typical boring Irish pub, but Leffe as a preference.

Lidl sell Leffe now and again and a Belgian beer gift pack around father's Day. Worth trying

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Trappist brewers are monks and the proceeds from the sales go to the monastery upkeep and to the local community.

Yep, Belgian Trappist abbey beers and Lidl used to sell French Abbey beers are lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Harika

Have a try of Belgian Leffe beer, either the blonde or bruin... It'll ruin every other beer you've tasted and level you up to a 6.5% beer.

Lidl sell Leffe now and again and a Belgian beer gift pack around father's Day. Worth trying

Leffe seriously? yeah please continue drinking Carlsberg...
    If the lager is not from Austria, Germany or Czechia just skip beer and go home, no point staying where they serve you cool piss with gas.

I like tuborg and even tennents when i want a crisp refreshing lager, but budweiser is awful.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that grown men drink coors light in this country.

It's handy if you're trying to lose weight yet can't give up the nights out on the pints. If you stick to coors light its like drinking one or two less pints in terms of calories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Didnt like it myself. Different strokes i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Didnt like it myself. Different strokes i suppose.

I got the tasters, 6 different beers, in Antwerp.
    Didn’t think that much of the Leffe either.

Different tastes for different folks.

I'd rather drink perineum-filtered scutter.

Anyone who doesn't like Carlsberg is a c*nt though.
    Fact.

Used to like it but find it gassy and i notice they've altered the flavour somewhat? The cans are rank

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I must be the only person who likes Budweiser by the looks of things, the poor owners must be struggling to make ends meat seeing as there isn't anyone drinking their product.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Clareman wrote: »
    I must be the only person who likes Budweiser by the looks of things, the poor owners must be struggling to make ends meat seeing as there isn't anyone drinking their product.....

Scangers drink it.

sugarman wrote: »
    For the sake of an extra 40 calories per pint I'd rather enjoy a good tasting one than a bland watered down one.

...Nothing an extra few minutes if working out spread across the week wouldn't even out anyway.

Absolutely. But every little helps when it comes to losing that weight and sometimes I feel like some bland tasteless beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

the reason why Bud is indeed piss ...
    budweiser.jpg

look at the middle of that label..the R word....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

1079 Project in Aldi is great value. Not going to blow anyone away but cheap and very drinkable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I reckon the taste of Victoria Bitter would hold up after all those years. Anyone seen VB on sale in Ireland?

Molloys used to sell it but haven't had it for a few years now. O'Briens had it too, but I'm rarely in any of their shops so no idea if they still stock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

central-heating-for-tramps-arlsberg-special-brew-d-hugs-7465435.png

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

moonage wrote: »
    central-heating-for-tramps-arlsberg-special-brew-d-hugs-7465435.png

How many beers have a love song written about them? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

decky1 wrote: »

Might be mistaken but I think it's a figure of speech as opposed to having a glass of your own urine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Weak taste, no body or bite, very watery. Which I suppose are all the same thing?

American beer is piss in general.

Heineken is average to awful. Carlsberg is perfectly fine on tap most of the time.

Carling on tap has a head on it much like Don King's 'fro but it will do in a pinch and actually isn't that bad.

Tuborg is fine on tap and can.

Bav will give you bad hangovers.

Bud is mostly for kids who want to get drunk real quick in a field somewhere and men in bootcut jeans.

Quite like Tiger on tap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Have been a confirmed 'craft' beer drinker for many years - or as my brothers call them, wanker beers.
    My favourite would always be an IPA. Not snobby about it - just look at what's on special.
    Found I couldn't drink them on a session for 2 reasons -
    1. High % just got me hammered
    2. Couldn't handle the hoppy aftertaste after about 4

Suddenly stopped drinking ales in the last few months and back on the lager - mostly Heineken.
    If I am in someones house and they offer Budweiser , I'll have tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Lager is yucky.

All of them. Its just a great conspiracy, fueled by the advertising industry, sports associations, and men wanting to be more man than the man beside them. They are afraid to call a spade a spade - its a bad drink, at best tolerably drinkable without spitting it out, at worst, downright unpleasant and sooner not touched again. Drinkers of various ones all call the others ones assorted variations of urine, generally of an animal variety, but piss nonetheless. Which is an accurately repulsive description of how one's reaction to drinking lager should be. But somehow they hang on to the idea that their variety is not piss.

Lager snobbery is hopeless optimism/delusion. It is the realisation that all the global brands of lager make something no one in their right mind would voluntarily choose to drink. But combined with an unwillingness to accept that that is the case will ALL lagers. Which spurs them on to some fuitless journey looking for some lager that does actually taste nice. But they are chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow. Piss coloured gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

American beer is piss in general.

Heineken is average to awful. Carlsberg is perfectly fine on tap most of the time.

Carling on tap has a head on it much like Don King's 'fro but it will do in a pinch and actually isn't that bad.

Tuborg is fine on tap and can.

Bav will give you bad hangovers.

Bud is mostly for kids who want to get drunk real quick in a field somewhere and men in bootcut jeans.

Quite like Tiger on tap.

Yeah, those beers upward of 8% are pure piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Lager is yucky.

All of them. Its just a great conspiracy, fueled by the advertising industry, sports associations, and men wanting to be more man than the man beside them. They are afraid to call a spade a spade - its a bad drink, at best tolerably drinkable without spitting it out, at worst, downright unpleasant and sooner not touched again. Drinkers of various ones all call the others ones assorted variations of urine, generally of an animal variety, but piss nonetheless.

Lager snobbery is hopeless optimism/delusion. It is the realisation that all the global brands of lager make something no one in their right mind would voluntarily choose to drink. But combined with an unwillingness to accept that that is the case will ALL lagers. Which spurs them on to some fuitless journey looking for some lager that does actually taste nice. But they are chasing the gold at the end of the rainbow. Piss coloured gold.

Well enlighten us as to what glorious ambrosia you drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Hard to beat a nice bock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I’d drink almost any beer to be fair. If I’m out in a pub my preference is a pint of Guinness, but if I couldn’t be bothered waiting for it I’ll go for a pint of Heineken.

If I’m having a few cans at home it’s usually whatever is on special at the time. Heineken, Guinness, Hop House 13, Carlsberg, Peroni, Stella Artois, Lech. All great for a night in. What I will say though is Heineken 5.0% abv is far superior to the 4.3% abv that we usually get in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

American beer is piss in general

It's really not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Beer snobs are only second to music snobs in the wankery index.

Feck off with your aprons, beards and lumberjack shirts.

Nah, gen pop **** who moan about beards and lumberjack shirts are actually the worst. Nobody wears lumberjack shirts these days. You're just moaning because you have a chip on your shoulder about people with different tastes to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Effects wrote: »
    Nah, gen pop **** who moan about beards and lumberjack shirts are actually the worst. Nobody wears lumberjack shirts these days. You're just moaning because you have a chip on your shoulder about people with different tastes to you.

Wow. I almost spit out my generic beer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Wow. I almost spit out my generic beer.

Don't spit it out. Just realise not everyone wants to drink the same thing that you do.

Advertisement