Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lager Snobbery

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Ipso wrote: »
    Is Sam Adams Boston Lager available in Ireland?

Yeah, I buy it regularly enough. Molloy’s and O’Brien’s sell it anyway and I’m sure other off licences do too.

A beautiful drink.

Some of the Carry Outs have the Boston lager too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Honourable mention - Lithuania - Svyturis Ekstra - an excellent larger that I drank regularly in the 18 months I was living there.

You can get bottles of it here. Seen it in some off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

To be an ultra beer hipster...

The best local beer for a country I have been too was South Korea. Cass Extra and Hite are the most popular drinks over. Cass is magnificently refreshing.

I'm sure somebody from Korea will be calling it piss and that they don't know beer until they've had Carling.

Big shout out to Croatia with Ozujsko and Karlovacko. I had a non alcoholic Ozujsko at a football match and it was the first non alcoholic beer that I really liked

• Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

You can get bottles of it here. Seen it in some off licences.

Dunnes have sold it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,011 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The best local beer for a country I have been too was South Korea. Cass Extra and Hite are the most popular drinks over. Cass is magnificently refreshing.

I'm sure somebody from Korea will be calling it piss and that they don't know beer until they've had Carling.

Big shout out to Croatia with Ozujsko and Karlovacko. I had a non alcoholic Ozujsko at a football match and it was the first non alcoholic beer that I really liked
    Ozujsko isn't bad alright, even from the plastic bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭circadian

Washing down some gamja-tang with Cass. Memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

You can get some pretty damn decent German lager on the cheap from Aldi (I live in England but I think it's much the same stock as you get in Ireland).

Rheinbacher is a personal fave. Purity law FTW. Far prefer it to Heino, Carlsberg or any of that. I've never had a mass produced American lager available in UK or Ireland that I've enjoyed. I did gave some Miller Hi Life when I was in the States that was tasty enough.

As far as the mainstream widely available lagers go I have a soft spot for Stella.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anyone like Budvar?

I don't drink a lot of lager these days, but Budvar is one that I've always been a fan of. They also do a black lager that I'd love to try but I've never seen it on sale in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

You call that swill a drink?!

snob2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Anybody else drink Dutch Gold on occasion, think they must have changed the recipe a few years back as its pretty refreshing, best of the low end beers IMO despite its reputation

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

All the hipsters coming into clearly old school pubs looking for IPA s

• Registered Users Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Anybody else drink Dutch Gold on occasion, think they must have changed the recipe a few years back as its pretty refreshing, best of the low end beers IMO despite its reputation

Always preferred the Royal Dutch, as my chaser for the buckie....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

bmc58 wrote: »
    Bass was a pretty good drink.

That ad was quite interesting. Talking about the taste of a beer etc. Like something the usual suspects would be tearing their hair out about, unless it's Ronnie drew style guff about Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Was given the gift of 4 bottles of beer from the Mescan brewery, based in Westport. I've just had 2 bottles, 8.5% and 8.8%. :eek: Definitely...

...something. I'll give my verdict when I sober up. :pac:

Normally drink Miller. On nights out I drink Carlsberg. Somebody brought up Rockshore as re-labelled Bud. No way. They don't taste anything alike.

Had a very nice one the other night: Galway Bay Helles. A good un.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Can't go far wrong with any helles tbf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Acosta wrote: »
    If people are taken in by those Rockshore ads then they deserve to drink ****e beer.

I've had rockshore. Barman gave me a free pint of it a few months ago when they got the tap in. Twas a scorcher of a day and I necked it in two swigs, wouldn't win any awards but as a thirst quencher it serves its purpose. I'm on the Guinness at the moment, it's going down nicely although the first one was a bit of a struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

American beer is piss in general.

I partly agree for the big brands but I don’t agree about the west coast beers around Seattle and Portland and also Vancouver in Canada. Some great beers in these areas.
    Heineken is average to awful. Carlsberg is perfectly fine on tap most of the time.
    I find they can be bad but it can depend on where you are.
    Carling on tap has a head on it much like Don King's 'fro but it will do in a pinch and actually isn't that bad.
    Not keen on Carling, a Canadian beer that’s impossible to find in Canada, they just export it like the Australians do with Fosters.
    Tuborg is fine on tap and can.
    It’s ok I guess, cheap anyway
    Bav will give you bad hangovers.
    Im not familiar with this so I’ll take your advice, not keen on the hangovers
    Bud is mostly for kids who want to get drunk real quick in a field somewhere and men in bootcut jeans.
    Has a redneck image too, awful stuff
    Quite like Tiger on tap.
    Yes, I’ve had worse

The NW of the US does have some excellent beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Heinekens , Carlsbergs Coors etc have been brewing for hundreds of years. They are the biggest selling beers in the world. They must be doing something right.
    Marketing, like McDonald’s except with beer
    And you dont sound like a twat ordering it.
    A pint of plumbers precum.
    A real twat would be the one having a problem with what someone else was drinking.
    I have drank Moosehead before. Is that a craft beer?
    Nope

• Advertisement
Advertisement