Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lager Snobbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mrpdap wrote: »
    That rock shore lager is terrible, got a pint once, took a mouthful and left the rest. Hop13 is similar dross.

But, each to his/her own

Those are both quite "hoppy", the sort of thing that's all the rage now with the Beardy Young Things. I had two pints of Hophouse 13 a while back, it was nice enough at the time, but I wouldn't drink any more of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Last two years or so any lager gives me hideous stomach acid. Can be the most expensive perfectly crafted Czech pilsner and it'll still do me in after a few pints; whereas ales and stouts don't. So I'm off all of them; but used to drink most of them.

However, Budweiser is particularly awful as its manufactured using the cheapest possible ingredients including the use of rice as an adjunct.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭OhHiMark

I wouldn't feed Weissbier to my dog.

Fair play, it's probably not good to give your dog alcohol

• Registered Users Posts: 34,590 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Keyzer wrote: »
    You need to stop drinking that pish and move to German WiessBier, its phenomenal - Paulaner, Franciskaner, Schneider...

Not if you've any kind of a dodgy stomach. I love wheat beers but if I had even one I'd be absolutely crippled :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Weak taste, no body or bite, very watery. Which I suppose are all the same thing?

This ^^^, weak, watery, flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

Budweiser, and indeed a lot of American lagers, are indeed made with poorer quality ingredients than most European beers. The use of adjuncts such as rice as cheaper alternatives to barley is a result of a shortage of grain in the US upon the end of Prohibition in the 1930s. I have to say that I really struggled to enjoy beer whilst in the US over the last few summers. The lagers there in particular are either sickly sweet or devoid of any taste. In Europe, meanwhile, and particularly Central Europe, the availability of quality, locally produced lagers/pilseners in every city and region is staggering. That's not even to mention weissbiers, witbiers, dunkels, helles... I'm happy that more and more of these beers are becoming available on tap in Ireland. The likes of Heineken and Carsberg are palatable, but not nearly as tasty.

As someone who has brewed several styles of beer in the past, I also find it very strange that those who are snobs towards lager are often fans of IPAs. Lagers and pilseners are some of the most technically challenging beers to produce as any faults with the brew is obvious at once to the consumer. With an IPA, on the other hand, any issue with the taste can be hidden behind copious amounts of hops. For being the so-called poster-child style of the craft brewing revolution, they also all taste very similar in my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd happily drink Tuborg if it's on offer. Budweiser is the only beer I genuinely dislike: it's bland and really, really gassy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I do like nice beers.I don't really hold with this craft designation. There's just nice beers and beers I don't like.

I lean more toward stout and ales but like lager, especially in summer. I like a lot of the so called high end ones but happily drink anything I like.

I think Heineken, Budweiser and Carlsberg are piss. That's not snobbery, I just think they are. I happily drink Carlsberg Unfiltered, Peroni, Praga (Dunnes own brand), Rossini (Aldi brand), Budvar, Moreti etc so it's hardly a case of being against popular lagers.

When it comes to beer snobbery, I think it goes far more the other way. People being far too concerned with what so called craft other people drink than anything else. It's a particularly strange thing in Ireland, hence all the usual tedious wolfs knob IPA type jokes as if a merely different beer to other people is somehow sacrilegious. Get over it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I happily drink Carlsberg Unfiltered

Was pleasantly surprised to find this is quite tasty, and I'd rate regular Carlsberg very lowly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Was pleasantly surprised to find this is quite tasty, and I'd rate regular Carlsberg very lowly.

Yeah same here. Nice summer drink.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I like tuborg and even tennents when i want a crisp refreshing lager, but budweiser is awful.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that grown men drink coors light in this country.

Drank every lager and enjoyed most of them but I just love Tuborg. Great bite to it. AND it’s cheap too, €3.70 a pint in my local.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I wouldn't feed Weissbier to my dog.

To me Paulaner tastes and smell like someone shoved the open bottle up their **** and farted in to it before giving it to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I hear more talk of beer snobbery than actual beer snobbery. I also hear far more sneering about people who like trying the "non standard" beers out than sneering from them.

I genuinely think Bud and Carling are terrible but I like Heineken and Carlsberg. It shouldn't matter whether it's Dutch Gold or whatever IPA. If you like you like, if you don't you don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

L1011 wrote: »
    Last two years or so any lager gives me hideous stomach acid. Can be the most expensive perfectly crafted Czech pilsner and it'll still do me in after a few pints; whereas ales and stouts don't. So I'm off all of them; but used to drink most of them.

However, Budweiser is particularly awful as its manufactured using the cheapest possible ingredients including the use of rice as an adjunct.

That's not why.
    https://www.thespruceeats.com/why-do-some-brewers-use-rice-or-corn-in-their-beer-353284

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I hear more talk of beer snobbery than actual beer snobbery. I also hear far more sneering about people who like trying the "non standard" beers out than sneering from them.

I genuinely think Bud and Carling are terrible but I like Heineken and Carlsberg. It shouldn't matter whether it's Dutch Gold or whatever IPA. If you like you like, if you don't you don't.
    Pretty much. Seems more people are upset at others having different tastes than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Budweiser is awful, Carlsberg gives me a bad hangover. Heineken and Tuborg are fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

You just can’t beat a few Harp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Wish they sold Prazsky in bottles here, they tease us with those trucks that go around advertising them on the side.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Isn't Heineken made from the waste pish out of the Tuborg factory then??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

KungPao wrote: »
    You just can’t beat a few Harp.

Harp is grand from a large bottle. Don't see them too often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Its probably going to be the end of me here but I dont like wheat beer. Or German ****e like Paulaner or Erdinger. Utter crap. Heineken all the way followed by Rockshore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Local sells 3 pints of Tuborg for €11.50.
    Winner Winner.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ice cold carlsberg (do the salted freezer wrap thing) - perfection, really.

Raconteuse wrote: »

It's definitely a curious Irish thing, perhaps due to the central cultural place alcohol has here or the way it's valorized. I know lads who are perfectly 'discerning' (for want of a better word) about everything from food to music, that turn into a bit of a frothing mess about people's supposed beer 'pretentions'.

Mostly beer here is something to neck quickly to get pissed without tasting it unless it's Guinness and then with that you get this whole near mystical connoisseur thing about illusory levels of quality on a pub by pub basis.

Note that quality gin or whiskey never inspires the same sacrilege response as beer.

Can you imagine average people in most European countries caring about who is going for a higher end pilsner or Belgian beer over a supermarket one? I was in Holland a while back on a work trip and was the only one ordering leffe bruin (one of many locals I should add) and I still get the piss taken from me about it to this day.

It's kinda mystifying. I think in 10-15 years, it will just be seen to be normal to like different beers. The craft thing is an angle because we've had a fairly limited brewing scene and tastes here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Is the craft thing not kinda something that peaked in terms of pure wankery about two or three years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Budweiser is specifically brewed to appeal to people who don't generally enjoy beer though, much more so than Heineken or Carlsberg, both of which I enjoy equally as much as a Hipster Chocolate Heroin Rainbow Stout depending on the mood. Every Christmas we visit my Uncle's house who only ever gets a crate of Bud in for visitors. I'll drink it but it's not even really beer.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Guinness rock shore is nice larger.

Foul stuff. Too light and starts to taste nasty after about two. Won't go back. Bud-ish in nature basically.

Hop house is a lot better of an effort from Guinness.

Its probably going to be the end of me here but I dont like wheat beer. Or German ****e like Paulaner or Erdinger. Utter crap. Heineken all the way followed by Rockshore.

Why would it be the end of anybody anywhere. You like a brand of beer. Some people like other brands of beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭bmc58

elfy4eva wrote: »
    A lot of Lager connoisseurs out there lately.

Heineken's piss, Carlsberg's piss, Budweiser's piss etc.

Great craic on a night out so they are.

I quite like Bud,Heineken,Carlsberg and far from piss are they.If you want real piss try Dutch Gold.Tuborg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

elfy4eva wrote: »
    I've have drank weiss beer it's nice but it's a different drink to lager. I do think it's funny though you laud these commercial brands of weiss beer, while mocking commercial lagers.

I'm not mocking them.

I just think they are completely substandard when compared to beers/lagers made in countries around Europe.

Specifically Germany, who have spent many hundreds of years perfecting the product and operate to the oldest food/drink laws in history (the Reinheitsgebot), around since the 15th century.

I also adore a good pint of Guinness.

For me, I like beer and life is too short to drink crap.

Advertisement