Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lager Snobbery

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

It's really not.

Not in the literal sense I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

I like tuborg and even tennents when i want a crisp refreshing lager, but budweiser is awful.
    I still can't get my head around the fact that grown men drink coors light in this country.

Fellow Tennents connoisseur here,

Windsor Park very recently dropped it association with this fine Scottish nectar in favour of Sadlers Peaky Blinder Craft Lager.

And in review to this astute business decision, i'd rather lick the pish of a tramps shoes than hand over anymore of my cash to a gimmicky cap wearing bartender serving this muck ever again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

You know, I have a Bock Style Dark Ruby Beer in the fridge, and yesterday I tried Baltic style Porter with chilli.

But, I look down on craft beer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ipso wrote: »
    Hard to beat a nice bock.

Oh yeah, Superbock!! Yum!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not in the literal sense I guess.

My post sounded a bit smartarse but I just meant America has a huge amount of beers/brewers. One of the best countries in the world for them to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PeteEd

KungPao wrote: »
    You just can’t beat a few Harp.

You need clean beat for even mentioning the H word

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

My post sounded a bit smartarse but I just meant America has a huge amount of beers/brewers. One of the best countries in the world for them to be fair.

That are not readily available here to mass market.

All the well known American beers are poor. The obscure ones could be good but I've never had them or came across them.

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

It's definitely a curious Irish thing, perhaps due to the central cultural place alcohol has here or the way it's valorized. I know lads who are perfectly 'discerning' (for want of a better word) about everything from food to music, that turn into a bit of a frothing mess about people's supposed beer 'pretentions'.

Mostly beer here is something to neck quickly to get pissed without tasting it unless it's Guinness and then with that you get this whole near mystical connoisseur thing about illusory levels of quality on a pub by pub basis.

Note that quality gin or whiskey never inspires the same sacrilege response as beer.

Can you imagine average people in most European countries caring about who is going for a higher end pilsner or Belgian beer over a supermarket one? I was in Holland a while back on a work trip and was the only one ordering leffe bruin (one of many locals I should add) and I still get the piss taken from me about it to this day.

It's kinda mystifying. I think in 10-15 years, it will just be seen to be normal to like different beers. The craft thing is an angle because we've had a fairly limited brewing scene and tastes here.

Not unique to ireland at all. I live in canada and its exactly the same. Also had a few days in Belgium last year and many seemed pretty serious about their beers...similar to wine connoisseurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Also the blandness of mass produced beers is no myth. Inbev and anheuser have bought up so many brands and changed recipes. Stella is different now to 10 yrs ago for sure.
    I hear america getting a few digs...try sam adams and get back to me.
    I love a craft beer but on thing i cant stand are the food pairings...its not wine for gods sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Had a 4pk of Pražský this evening (damn right that’s a copy and paste).

Where does such a beer stand in the snobbery stakes?

Is it piss like the Dutch G or “ooh look at you and your Czech Premium Lager, is Tennents not good enough for ya?”

Don’t care either way. A nice few light beers, goes down a treat and no chance of a hangover.

Giddy up.

• Advertisement

I'm really over any sort of craft or strong beer. I enjoy the physical act of drinking so prefer a regular 4-5% beer, or the weak fresh beer in Vietnam is often the best. You can drink 30 of them and be grand enough the next day cause they're only around 2% or something.

Last time I had strong beer, I ended up needing stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

L1011 wrote: »
    However, Budweiser is particularly awful as its manufactured using the cheapest possible ingredients including the use of rice as an adjunct.

Budweiser is piss, pure pîss water with all the beers that are available on the market now , multiple choices I can’t fathom how it could be considered drinkable...to sell by the load as it seems to especially. It even tastes cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Bru lager is lovely. 4 pint bottles for a tenner in centra

That are not readily available here to mass market.

All the well known American beers are poor. The obscure ones could be good but I've never had them or came across them.

What would you recommend?

It's really hard on memory to list every American beer I've managed to try in Ireland and I'm not going to google but start of with the following brewers:

Founders
    Sierra Nevada
    Brooklyn
    Stone
    Lagunitas
    Odell
    Oskar Blues

That's just my off of cuff list based on recent memory. Just go to the nearest decent off license and try stuff out. Like people are at pains to say in this thread, it's not about snobbery, just drink stuff you like whatever it is. Who cares what people drink at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Clareman wrote: »
    I must be the only person who likes Budweiser by the looks of things, the poor owners must be struggling to make ends meat seeing as there isn't anyone drinking their product.....

The owners pretty much own everything else anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Does and IPA count as snobbery...?

I like the taste of IPA (especially Brewdog) but failing that I'm abivalent when it comes to lager. Anything except Budweiser and I'm happy.

The German ones aren't lagers though - they're pilseners (there is a difference, I'm told)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Forget about pish like Budweiser, Carlsberg etc.

Radeberger, Koenig Pilsener, Krombacher all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Does and IPA count as snobbery...?

I like the taste of IPA (especially Brewdog) but failing that I'm abivalent when it comes to lager. Anything except Budweiser and I'm happy.

The German ones aren't lagers though - they're pilseners (there is a difference, I'm told)

Pilsners are types of lagers. Lager comes from a German word for storage. Lagers are stored a cool temperature for a long time to condition, the yeast used also ferments at lower temperatures than ale yeast and doesn’t leave any flavours. Smitwicks is actually lagered. Then there are beers that straddle both styles, Kolsch styles are brewed with ale yeast but like a lager and baltic porters are actually lagers.
    Here’s a list of types of lagers.
    https://www.dummies.com/food-drink/drinks/beer/types-of-lagers/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Bavaria is a nice beer. Would love a few cans with some beer snobs :)

It sure is. Beats most other Dutch brews. I'm also quite partial to grolsch mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭circadian

KungPao wrote: »
    Had a 4pk of Pražský this evening (damn right that’s a copy and paste).

Where does such a beer stand in the snobbery stakes?

Is it piss like the Dutch G or “ooh look at you and your Czech Premium Lager, is Tennents not good enough for ya?”

Don’t care either way. A nice few light beers, goes down a treat and no chance of a hangover.

Giddy up.

Fiver for a 4 pack and it's not offensive. Deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Also the blandness of mass produced beers is no myth. Inbev and anheuser have bought up so many brands and changed recipes. Stella is different now to 10 yrs ago for sure.
    I hear america getting a few digs...try sam adams and get back to me.
    I love a craft beer but on thing i cant stand are the food pairings...its not wine for gods sake

No.

Heinekens , Carlsbergs Coors etc have been brewing for hundreds of years. They are the biggest selling beers in the world. They must be doing something right.

And you dont sound like a twat ordering it.

A pint of plumbers precum.

I have drank Moosehead before. Is that a craft beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Tuborg is seriously underrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

This thread reminds me of a recipe I posted on another forum before, I think you lot might enjoy it.

Bavaria Floats

You will need:

- 1 x Can Bavaria Gold Crown (may work with another beer, I haven't tested it so can't guarantee results)
    - A freezer
    - Vanilla Ice Cream - Ben and Jerry's or Hagen Daaz work the best here. I had neither, so i used generic Vanilla from my local store.

Preparation:

Unpack your ingredients. Leave the Bavaria to settle for a few minutes before freezing, to avoid trapping air bubbles.

11146.jpeg

Take your Bavaria Gold Crown and put it in your freezer box. Mine is horizontal, but vertical is preferable.

11147.jpeg

Now, allow at least 10 hours for the freeze.

Remove from the freezer. Mmmm, see that nice layer of ice and the dent at the top? That means it's worked.

11148.jpeg

Using a cooking knife like mine, pictured, carefully open your Bavaria. Be careful with the edges of the can, as they will be sharp.

11149.jpeg
    11150.jpeg

Once that's done, get a nice scoop of your chosen ice cream.

11151.jpeg

Take half the Bavaria log and add ift to your ice cream. At this stage, you can mash it down into a slushee texture, but I prefer to keep the log shape and chip away at that.

11152.jpeg

Add to this your choice of toppings. I've gone for Strawberry sauce and some of my girlfriend's homemade flapjacks. We're looking good now.

11153.jpeg

And enjoy! I hope you all like this as much as I did. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

a pint of plain is yer only man

Sister's boyfriend is Finnish but a wannabe Corkonion (he's a total w@nker).
    He claims Guinness is desperate stuff but Beamish is wonderful.

Augeo wrote: »
    Sister's boyfriend is Finnish but a wannabe Corkonion (he's a total w@nker).
    He claims Guinness is desperate stuff but Beamish is wonderful.

Beamish goes down well but I find it dog rough the next morning. I was Guinness for years but moved to Murphy's year ago and haven't looked back.

It's really funny and original when people invent satirical names for imaginary IPAs to lampoon craft beer.

It's not utilized nearly enough as a comedic device in my opinion.

And enjoy! I hope you all like this as much as I did. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

Reminds me of a lovely "Chinese medicinal chicken" that's cooked in cans. It's a bit different to the picture but I used to buy the can and it would have been sliced in the middle. Take it home and open it into a bowl. Two euro.

1336399633-ga-tan-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

Budweiser is piss though.

It's funny, i drank Budweiser for years then it became unpopular and couldn't get it anymore.

Was out recently and tried Rockshore and it is almost exactly the same as Budweiser and everybody loves it LOL!

Just shows that marketing does work.

Budweiser is like a different drink for me. It tastes so different to most beers. Never liked it.

• Advertisement

It's funny, i drank Budweiser for years then it became unpopular and couldn't get it anymore.

Was out recently and tried Rockshore and it is almost exactly the same as Budweiser and everybody loves it LOL!

Just shows that marketing does work.

You can market anything. The Coronas are popular for christ sake. If people are taken in by those Rockshore ads then they deserve to drink ****e beer.

I mostly only drank stout before the craft beer thing came along. Having a beer at home now is much more enjoyable not having to drink Carlsberg etc and about 90% of the craft stuff I drink is Irish.

Advertisement