Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is everyone going to be voting for in the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,302 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Will do what I usually do - start at the bottom with the dregs I'd never vote for like SF, PBP, AAA, etc and slowly work my way upward until I'm left with the least objectionable candidates.

There's not a great choice TBH and I'm more motivated to vote by those I despise than by any love of the alternatives. I've come into contact with a number of TDs through my work and I wouldn't trust some of them to run a bath, never mind a country. It's frightening the calibre of people who put themselves forward and very easy to get disillusioned by it all.

I do a mix of that with my first preferences.

I will vote Green 1, Labour or FG 2/3. The rest of my votes will be from the bottom up, Aontu having recently replaced SF as the most despicable of the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

For the first time in a long time, I'm considering spoiling my ballot. My constituency has particularly abject candidates.

If there's a Green Party candidate that isn't absolutely terrible I might give them a lash, but I'd need to know they're not as bad as the rest of them on the ballot.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I always find this a strange attitude.
    Strange because FF / SF / et Al have no realistic proposals to increase housing supply.

In fact members of all the parties are regularly objecting to building developments. SF currently have a Rent freeze bill that is very populist in nature. But it does nothing to fix supply and can only have a negative effect over the long term.

Are the politicians not just following preferences from their constituents and the NIMBY brigade.

For example, on a local community page on Facebook that I follow, any proposed new development within a 10km radius is highlighted and always objected to by a high proportion of the locals - they also tag in local councillors and TDs urging them, quite strongly, in their wording to intervene and object in any manner, now I never comment as my public expenditure preferences are focussed elsewhere.

Are politicians not damned if they do and damned if they don't in relation to housing. What is the solution genuinely?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Soc Dems will get my number 1, Greens my number 2, and after that, I don't have the foggiest. I reckon the seats in my constituency are fairly sewn up, but still, try break into the ridiculousness of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

blanch152 wrote: »
    I do a mix of that with my first preferences.

I will vote Green 1, Labour or FG 2/3. The rest of my votes will be from the bottom up, Aontu having recently replaced SF as the most despicable of the lot of them.

Not too familiar with Aontu or their policies, save to say I know I always thought P Tobin was a fairly competent public representative, and I admired his (and Lucinda's) stance on abortion.

What makes them more despicable to you might I ask? Not arguing with you, or contradicting you, as I said I'm not even remotely familiar with them.

Me,

Catherine Murphy will most likely get my number 1
    The local FF lad is a very competent and hard worker, so he'll prob get number 2

Not sure who the SF candidate will be, I'll have a look at them though. (Wasn't impressed with the last candidate though, unsure if she's going to have another go at it)

FG lad, useless cretin , and his bedfellow, (once rejected last time was plonked into the Seanad) nope.
    Labour lad, see above.

So that's Murphy and James Lawless for me so far. Don't give a shyte about what party either belong to, I will be voting for the candidate, not the party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,151 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Steve wrote: »
    What irks me the most about FG is the housing crisis. A typical rental in Dublin is now €2000 / month. To pay that the tenant has to earn ~ €4000,

Nobody in Ireland pays a 50% effective income tax rate.

i can absolutely see the case for candidate, not party

thing is, as things work, if your candidate isnt winning dail votes, what are they achieving?

local wins? forms? says the right things?

the concept that our TDs are elected to pass quality legislation is so far down the list of things we look to them for that it really does keep things relatively pointless at dail level

at the same time, i also wont be voting for any duds even if the parties i believe have a chance of govt field them

in any case, without an overall majority (which no party is even close to) your best bet, it seems to me, is to attempt to steer the options FG/FF have for coalition.

thats why i prefer a small party with at least a core of principles i agree with which are likely to be key negotiation points in any coalition manifesto.

another round of FF/FG doesnt serve any purpose at this stage imo

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

SD, Greens, SF. Won't give FF, FG, or Labour the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Hard to know, might vote soc dems or greens tbh, how much more harm could they possibly do than the incumbents?

Won't vote SF though, local candidates are nothing but scum.

is_that_so wrote: »
    It may not be complete yet but this should give you a pretty decent idea. Just search for your constituency.

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2017/04/19/candidates-for-the-next-2017-2021-general-election-by-constituency/

I think this is the candidates for my area. The website is hard to read on mobile.

Sligo-Leitrim (4 seats): Senator Frank Feighan (Fine Gael), Deputy Eamon Scanlon (Fianna Fáil), Deputy Marc McSharry (Fianna Fáil), Shane Ellis (Fianna Fáil), Deputy Martin Kenny (Sinn Féin), Cllr. Chris MacManus (Sinn Féin), Nessa Cosgrove (Labour Party), Cllr. Gino O’Boyle (People Before Profit Alliance), Bláithin Gallagher (Green Party), Finbarr Filan (Renua).

On a personal level, Marc McSharry’s and his PA were a great help when I needed some urgent advice and assistance.

The rest are meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Labour 1, Greens 2, SDs 3 probably wont continue ballot after that - FGs record on housing with FF support is despicable, not a SF fan and the pbp candidate isnt great at all. The aontu candidate is ex Youth Defence so definite no preference there.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Renua might run a candidate in your constituency! Pity the abortion issue scuppered them. Their candidate will have my first preference, Mickey Mouse will be getting my second preference

You still seem to think Lucinda's '16 manifesto is still believed by Renua

It isn't. The Renua you want to vote for is dead - it died on count day in '16 - and the name is being dragged along by some loons sucking the 200k a year for Lucinda's FPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If I had the choice of a true, non-thick left candidate or party I would vote them in a heartbeat.

I tend to vote to ensure my vote affects as many in the count as possible except FG and FF who I wouldn't touch with a bargepole and that policy stretches back to the mid 1980s when I could first vote.

Usually, I'll study the local polls and see whereabouts candidates are in the race.

In my area, it'll probably be a mixture of one or two independents leading onto maybe Labour or maybe Sinn Fein or maybe Social Democrats or if there is a really strong non-fantasy left independent in the field who has a chance I'll make sure they get my vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Probably FG, but I could be persuaded to vote Green or SD depending on their manifesto.

Areas that I would like to see tackled are high mortgage and childcare costs and also make some headway into our CO2 emissions.

Rents are too high and if any party actually came out with decent supply side incentives I’d consider them too but if it’s anything like SF’s rent freeze stunt I’ll ignore them for the status quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

furiousox wrote: »
    I know the right to vote is important and a lot of people had to fight for that privelige, but honestly, I'm so disillusioned with the Irish political system right now I feel what's the point?
    What difference will it make?
    They're all the same.

The health system has been broken for years no matter who's in power.
    Property tax.
    TD expenses, pensions.
    Spending how much on a printer?
    Clocking in when not present.
    Dail voting when not present.
    No-one ever resigns or is held to account.
    I honestly think it's a game for them and they're in it for themselves not us.

I feel very much like this nowadays, they all seem to be on a gravy train with themselves front and centre, us the voters not very for front in their mind, All parties the same, who do you vote for ??

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Cyclepath

GP #1
    I4C #2
    Lab #3
    FG #4

The green vote is tactical as the chap probably won't get in, but if everyone thinks like that he never will.

I4C candidate will probably get in and will work hard on social issues.

New Lab candidate is hot ;) ...and left leaning like me.

FG candidate works hard on local social issues, so she gets an exception.

The shinners and god-botherers can go and sh1te

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

BobMc wrote: »
    I feel very much like this nowadays, they all seem to be on a gravy train with themselves front and centre, us the voters not very for front in their mind, All parties the same, who do you vote for ??

As bad as it looks, at least we can look across the water in both directions and feel we're not doing too bad with the lot we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Likely independent again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Any but the Greens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

is_that_so wrote: »
    It may not be complete yet but this should give you a pretty decent idea. Just search for your constituency.

https://adriankavanaghelections.org/2017/04/19/candidates-for-the-next-2017-2021-general-election-by-constituency/

Jesus, Fingal is bloody grim. Alan Farrell (insurance scammer and expenses thief), James O'Reilly (failed minister), Lorraine Clifford Lee (already been told no twice in the last 2 elections, racist),

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

FG will never have my vote again. Absolute abuse of workers after the crash, “we went mad borrowing”idiocy, homelessness, children’s hospital, HSE, every gate going and above all they are a party for unionists.
    The only leadership I see in Leinster House is Pearse Doherty calling out the chancers in the insurance industry. I’ll decide closer to GE but FG canvassers will have a rough time at my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Steve wrote: »
    I did that last time and Ross got in. I am truly sorry for that.

Ditto. To my eternal shame. Railed and raved against corruption, coverups etc whilst in the seanad, but once he saw the trough boy did he dive straight into it.

Little pr1ck even tried to photobomb my youngfellas under 5 team photo for the 2020 calendar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Looks like the greens will be in with FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Find it hard to vote FF with Micheal at the helm and a few others still in places of influence - lads who there in control when the economy went into a dive.

Find it hard to vote FG as they've been there two terms now and showing all the signs of it.

Find it hard to vote for any of the rest as they'd be incapable of making a decent go of it.

Dislike Independents.

Maybe I won't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

Is the next general election is going to be around May 2020?

In my constituency I'll probably go GP and Lab. The first one is a clinical psychologist so could actually do something about mental health services (ok being naive here), won't hold my breath as the FG and FF ones will probably get the majority of votes.There's also SF and SD but, meh.

Gotten to know a councillor in another constituency who's really sound and has an ambitious manifesto, well I would say that wouldn't I only that I can't vote for them anyway. She's stiff competition down in Cork South Central.

Been voting since the Lisbon Treaty vote, didn't vote in the same-sex marriage ref as that was going to be a landslide vote (didn't tell anyone incase I was viewed as a homophobe). Spoiling votes is a waste of time, why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    FG will never have my vote again. Absolute abuse of workers after the crash, “we all partied” idiocy, homelessness, children’s hospital, HSE, every gate going and above all they are a party for unionists.
    The only leadership I see in Leinster House is Pearse Doherty calling out the chancers in the insurance industry. I’ll decide closer to GE but FG canvassers will have a rough time at my door.

It was actually FF who cane out with the we all partied line.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.breakingnews.ie/ireland/brian-lenihan-claim-we-all-partied-717968.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Corrected my post to Kenny’s “we went mad borrowing”

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Correct, he's probably confusing Enda telling us on the telly that it wasn't our fault, and a wet day later telling lads in Davos that it was exactly our fault as we all went mad borrowing.

People ‘went mad’ borrowing during boom – Taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

I will never vote FF or FG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Renua or Irish Freedom Party

Advertisement