Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is everyone going to be voting for in the next general election?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Based on record breaking child homelessness, wasteful spending and worsening crises? Japers.

The ship may be sinking and the Captain and crew might not care about your well being, but they've sailed a ship before. ;)

You are vocally anti-FG, which is all very well, but what's your ideal outcome in the next general election? Per the thread title, tell us who you're for, not just who you're against.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Strumms wrote: »
    :P

You’d have to really be bonkers to touch FG... FF a lot of talent in the party just Martin seems like a savvy politician if you can get past the ‘personality’.... Leo while an outgoing fellow you certainly know that trustworthy and having the public interest as #1 won’t be his motivation for anything.

You must be young. You would have to be bonkers to touch FF. They destroyed our country. The scum that was under Bertie is still there.

I actually start at the bottom when voting. I remember who destroyed my country.
    It's very important to use all your votes. Better to vote for someone rather then leave them out. Hence FF at the bottom.

FF last
    Labour 2nd last
    Greens 3rd last

While I dislike FG. I really think they are wimps and can't make hard decisions.
    I will vote for them ahead of FF always

Pray thee tell, who are these talented folk in FF?

SF, FF, Ind, FG. I am only voting FF as my local TD is James Lawless and he does a lot of local, national and international work. Plus he consistently communicates with his constituents. I can't say that about any of the other candidates in North Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

SF, FF, Ind, FG. I am only voting FF as my local TD is James Lawless and he does a lot of local, national and international work. Plus he consistently communicates with his constituents. I can't say that about any of the other candidates in North Kildare.

Exactly what I said up thread Derek, he's a good lad James Lawless, hard grafter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

If someone finds Fine Gael 'too left wing for their liking', I think it's safe to say that they aren't likely to hold too many left or centrist views. It's unlikely that they'll find any party or candidate right-wing enough for their liking.

Fair.

Boiling it down to left vs right just leaves you with a divided bitter country shitshow like the US&A and the UK.

We're better than that,

I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,855 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Pray thee tell, who are these talented folk in FF?

Their PR team. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Maybe the people you know?
    Kenny promised to 'end the scandal of hospital trolleys' and he did okay out of it. Are you suggesting people vote for these people despite the claims they'll tackle issues like health, (accepting it's just something you say)?

Why would any politician claim to want to address health if the people didn't want it? Your comment makes no sense.

Ireland is so small that everyone has a close relative who works as a nurse or in the HSE at some level, we might say we want reform but that means taking on the above

As a people, we don't like hard decisions and besides the left wing media would obliterate any politician who rolled up their sleeves and got stuck into sorting out health, education or various other vested interest engulfed sectors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You are vocally anti-FG, which is all very well, but what's your ideal outcome in the next general election? Per the thread title, tell us who you're for, not just who you're against.

Doesn't take away from my point does it?

But so you can deflect with whataboutery...
    SD/Indies/SF, but not O'Snodaigh.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Ireland is so small that everyone has a close relative who works as a nurse or in the HSE at some level, we might say we want reform but that means taking on the above

As a people, we don't like hard decisions and besides the left wing media would obliterate any politician who rolled up their sleeves and got stuck into sorting out health, education or various other vested interest engulfed sectors

I don't buy that as an excuse. We know everyone has had a sick relative and most have had a dealing with the health service.

I disagree also it has absolutely no bearing on FF/FG claiming to tackle it and then doing nothing past throwing money and making excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

When you say 'sorting out' health, what exactly do you mean? And why do you think the vested interests (for example, underpaid staff who work long hours in appalling conditions) might object to your idea of 'sorting the health service out'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I don’t know until I see the candidates but not FF.

If someone finds Fine Gael 'too left wing for their liking', I think it's safe to say that they aren't likely to hold too many left or centrist views. It's unlikely that they'll find any party or candidate right-wing enough for their liking.

It's all relative, relative to the political landscape of most countries, FG are centre left, relative to a deeply left wing country like Ireland, FG are on the right.

It's all relative, relative to the political landscape of most countries, FG are centre left, relative to a deeply left wing country like Ireland, FG are on the right.

Maybe you're viewing them as 'centre left', relative to your own deeply right-wing stance.

When you say 'sorting out' health, what exactly do you mean? And why do you think the vested interests (for example, underpaid staff who work long hours in appalling conditions) might object to your idea of 'sorting the health service out'?

The HSE exists primarily to serve those employed by it

Turkeys don't vote for Xmas

I don't believe they are underpaid, you have a different opinion

I don't believe they are underpaid, you have a different opinion

The biggest difference being that I value the work that nurses do. You evidently do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If you think FG are too 'left wing' there is a major party on this island that might suit your right wing viewpoint..the DUP

How anyone could think a party that continues the pointless war on drugs when even parts of the US have abandoned it, continually cuts public services, has eroded workers power, oversees the lowest corporate tax rates in the western world, introduced a draconian prostitution law among other things are too 'left wing' is beyond me. The Republican party in the US would be envious

By any developed world standard, Fine Gael are a right wing party. The only thing up for discussion is how far right they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Based on record breaking child homelessness, wasteful spending and worsening crises? Japers.

The ship may be sinking and the Captain and crew might not care about your well being, but they've sailed a ship before. ;)

Did you find those figures you said you done up about how many social houses you want and how much it will cost?

Oh and where SF will find the money for such project?

Considering it’s about 1 billion to build approx 5,000 houses that should help you do your maths as you have such a clear vision.

Did you find those figures you said you done up about how many social houses you want and how much it will cost?

Considering it’s about 1 billion to build approx 5,000 houses that should help you do your maths as you have such a clear vision.

Different thread and yes discussed it at length. You've to show why buying and leasing is cheaper than building and how developers and builders make a living if buying is cheaper :)

What project? Are you lost?

Yep, you're lost.
    If you're going to spout deflective bile for team FG at least get your threads right ;)

• Advertisement

FG was 'we all went mad'. Completely different ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Just hoping somebody throws their head above the hedges and says theyll cut taxes or opposes funding/allowing in one if the many groups of people I have issues with. Its all a bit plain, no peter casey to vote for this time.

If somebody can conjur up an economically conservative oarty that doesnt care about abortions aslong as theyre done not on my tax take then theres a vote waiting for you right here lads.

Borrow. Build the homes and then rent them to people based on a percentage of their income, with no upper limit. It would make more financial sense than continuing to hand hundreds of millions of the state's money over to private landlords via the HAP scheme.

The Workers' Party has a good housing policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

markodaly wrote: »
    Passing the buck so. :D

That’s the basis of parliamentary democracy. Your comment is of the most particularly distasteful self serving party hackery which bedevils this country.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,020 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Just hoping somebody throws their head above the hedges and says theyll cut taxes or opposes funding/allowing in one if the many groups of people I have issues with. Its all a bit plain, no peter casey to vote for this time.

If somebody can conjur up an economically conservative oarty that doesnt care about abortions aslong as theyre done not on my tax take then theres a vote waiting for you right here lads.

We had a fiscal conservative social centrist party and they fizzled out cause there just aren't enough voters for them

Any solid or harder right parties are going to be full in Catholic here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,168 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Anyone voting FF can **** right off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't vote in elections. I received advertisements from politicians in post for Northern Ireland election and I threw them in fire. A woman in my parish is standing and her husband was in prison a number of years ago for smuggling. I also got one from the Irish Freedom party or something, all these parties just preach about families, immigration and salaries. There is nothing that men like me could vote for, "neckbeard" men with no family and no job as a nurse or teacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Find it hard to vote FF with Micheal at the helm and a few others still in places of influence - lads who there in control when the economy went into a dive.

Find it hard to vote FG as they've been there two terms now and showing all the signs of it.

Find it hard to vote for any of the rest as they'd be incapable of making a decent go of it.

Dislike Independents.

Maybe I won't vote.

Unfortunately again we are at the stage of having to vote for the ‘lesser evil’.

For such a diverse democracy to have so many options whom are all more all less shît ... depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

FG.

When they came to power in 2011 I was pretty much living off my savings, today I am very comfortable financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,384 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Probably FG, used to vote SF when I was young and foolish and didn't realise they were full of sh1t.

Wouldn't be surprised if FF edged FG out this time though.

Advertisement