Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

That's a bit harsh Dude but it'd be interesting if a Pole/vote was taken on whether F1 fans would like to see Hamilton in the car this weekend?

I think a lot would be more of the opinion that they'd like to see George in the car rather than Hamilton, not necessarily just any other driver.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    That's a bit harsh Dude but it'd be interesting if a Pole/vote was taken on whether F1 fans would like to see Hamilton in the car this weekend?

I think a lot would be more of the opinion that they'd like to see George in the car rather than Hamilton, not necessarily just any other driver.

Yeah there's probably only 2 other drivers who might be able to jump into the Merc and extract performance from it and longevity from the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/GMM1702/status/1337771972508389384

I hope the bosses of F1 are taking note of the attention this car was getting. Loud, small, nimble, I miss that version of F1.

Probably about 5 seconds slower, but it is 15 years old now, and still turning heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

McLaren to sell a stake to america investors

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    McLaren to sell a stake to america investors

I dont like how Mclaren are going with all this refinacing and selling hq etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Didn't see qualifing today, was there any reason Danny ric or Ocon didnt make q3??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

Dani Ric I think had his first q2 lap deleted seemed over cautious on his second run , didnt make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/GMM1702/status/1337771972508389384

I hope the bosses of F1 are taking note of the attention this car was getting. Loud, small, nimble, I miss that version of F1.

Probably about 5 seconds slower, but it is 15 years old now, and still turning heads.

I seen that on Friday, it was unreal altogether, the sound was unbelievable and I just had a huge smile on my face watching it, Alonso was fairly throwing it around too, all the other teams came running to the pit wall when he went flying past, I'd say they could hear him coming a mile away... Brilliant it was

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I'm impressed Fitipaldi seems to have improved a decent bit in the last week. I'm disappointed Schumacher didn't get a drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Ikozma wrote: »
    Didn't see qualifing today, was there any reason Danny ric or Ocon didnt make q3??
    They simply didn't have the place when qualifying arrived.

https://www.planetf1.com/news/daniel-ricciardo-grumpy-pants/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,710 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ikozma wrote: »

Well they have to get funds for the team some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm looking forward to seeing how Alonso will do with his return to the sport next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

And we're done for the year. Entertainment was had

Cheers for the info and view points over the year.

Talk to ye in march .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

So all over for another year.

Firstly fair play to F1 for getting 17 races done. Must have been a nightmare back in March trying to juggle the covid situation across the world and put a calendar together. Was great to see the cars at some unique venues, Imola and Mugello being my personal highlights. There were some great moments, seeing Checo and Gasly picking up wins was fantastic to see. Great to see McLaren back going well and securing 3rd today in the championship was a great boost for them. Having said all the above, you can't get away from the fact it was bitterly disappointing to see Mercedes so far in front 4 years into the current rule set. The sport badly needs a close fight at the sharp end. Not holding my breath for that next year, but let's see what it brings.

Finally thanks to everyone for their contributions, particularly those who frequent the race threads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

What a year. Covid. A Merc that monstered everybody. The miracle of Grosjean's escape.

Then Ferrari. A team I like who were an abject disaster. No engine. No performance. No wins. No chief executive. And no excuses. They were well beaten by everyone and by themselves. To finish 13th & 14th today behind a team powered by their own engine. A truly ignominious end to a miserable campaign.

Ms

What a year. Covid. A Merc that monstered everybody. The miracle of Grosjean's escape.

Then Ferrari. A team I like who were an abject disaster. No engine. No performance. No wins. No chief executive. And no excuses. They were well beaten by everyone and by themselves. To finish 13th & 14th today behind a team powered by their own engine. A truly ignominious end to a miserable campaign.

Did Ferrari even get a podium this year. I think the best Chales managed is 4th am I right.

I think McLaren Mercedes next year should be able to challenge Mercedes and give them some sleepless nights if they don't make a balls of there car for next year. You would have to wonder do Mercedes think giving them there engines now might be a bad idea. I guess we will find out how good Mercedes and Lewis really are next year with some real competition for them. Even Red Bull might be up there next year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

AMKC wrote: »
    Did Ferrari even get a podium this year. I think the best Chales managed is 4th am I right.

I think McLaren Mercedes next year should be able to challenge Mercedes and give them some sleepless nights if they don't make a balls of there car for next year. You would have to wonder do Mercedes think giving them there engines now might be a bad idea. I guess we will find out how good Mercedes and Lewis really are next year with some real competition for them. Even Red Bull might be up there next year too.

Vettel was 3rd in Turkey in the rain.

Leclerc was 2nd in Austria and 3rd at Silverstone.

In general they were poor though. They often got the strategy wrong, and were generally the worst pit crew (ignoring Mercedes huge mistake last week) by about half a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Charles had two podiums, Austria and Great Britain and Seb had one podium this year in Turkey.

Edit, I'm too slow to post!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Apparently Ted Kravitz says Perez will be confirmed at RB next week....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

He deserveds it,feel sorry for Albon though but that's F1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

After the race Christian Horner said they haven't decided but it won't take them long to decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Daniel-Ricciardo-Renault-GP-Abu-Dhabi-2020-Rennen-169Gallery-dac0fd72-1750941.jpg

Danny Ric. He had a very good year at Renault. Finished 5th in the drivers championship, finished 3rd twice and scored 119 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Danny Ric. He had a very good year at Renault. Finished 5th in the drivers championship, finished 3rd twice and scored 119 points.

Very true. I think he didn’t look good last year when the car wasn’t very good. But he was more than a match for his teammate and put in some solid performances. Hope he Mclaren is a top car next year so he can express himself and fight at the front.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Did Cyril get his tattoo yet? :D

Ms

Top Dog wrote: »
    Did Cyril get his tattoo yet? :D

He did ye although what I have no idea but I think it's on his shoulder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Kravitz said Albon would be kept on as a test/reserve driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

Apparently Alonso's run was in the 1:39s which was actually faster than the fastest race lap. It didn't match the qualifying times of course but that's still pretty incredible for a car built with 15 year old technology on a fraction of modern budgets, in a non-competitive scenario where it just rolled out of the garage with no testing or setup time, on tyres it was never designed for.

It really pains me to imagine how spectacular F1 would be today if it had just continued on that path.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Kravitz said Albon would be kept on as a test/reserve driver.

Kvyat expected to return to Ferrari aswell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement