Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,398 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Of course they would. They have to protect themselves. It’d be a publicity nightmare for them if they didn’t.

Doesn’t mean they sack him. They might but there’s more to F1 than politics. $$$$

Also even though they used a ridiculous term Like abhorrent doesn’t mean they believe it.

Let’s see, if they are truely offended by his 10 second clip they’d sack him today.

Let’s see what they do.

My guess is he’ll be driving for them next year.

Who knows it might liven up some races.

I'd say you love Deledda aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

pjohnson wrote: »
    I'd say you love Deledda aswell.

There’s a massive difference between dangerous driving and a 10 second clip with a female who by all accounts doesn’t seem as offended by the alleged action as the pc brigade are.

She has even commented as much. People need to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Anyone seen any reports as to whether or not Hamilton has gotten a negative test yet? I saw on RaceFans that he'd uploaded a video, and a few commenter said he didn't look 100% and his eyes were a bit telling? There's only 1 day left before FP1 so surely Mercedes would want to be making a decision as to who's driving?

There’s a massive difference between dangerous driving and a 10 second clip with a female who by all accounts doesn’t seem as offended by the alleged action as the pc brigade are.

She has even commented as much. People need to relax.
    This was just the tip of the iceberg with him.

This was just the tip of the iceberg with him.

Stick to the facts.

The 10 second clip is fuss over nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Mazepin sounds like a right nasty piece of work if you even take this incident out of the picture

Stick to the facts.

The 10 second clip is fuss over nothing.

I am. You are ignoring everything else he has ever done while dismissing the latest incident.

And claiming the 5th place F2 driver will bring excitement to races even though his most notable achievements in F2 involve him facing stewards for being reckless behind the wheel.

Just had some highlights on in the background on YouTube and 2019 Italy popped up. Aside from pretty typical Bottas getting into DRS range of Leclerc then ****ing up what struck me is that when the title isn't at stake I honestly think it affects driving standards. Hamilton had the title done and dusted so it's all just a bit of craic really. Leclerc won the race having run Hamilton off the track and later weaving like crazy. If there was a title at stake there's no way he would have gotten away with it. It trickles down through the field, because if the leaders are going to do that stuff then why shouldn't anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I am. You are ignoring everything else he has ever done while dismissing the latest incident.

And claiming the 5th place F2 driver will bring excitement to races even though his most notable achievements in F2 involve him facing stewards for being reckless behind the wheel.

If you read back over my posts you would realise you’re wrong there.

In summary my point is simple most people cancelling this lad off know nothing about him other than a ten second clip that has been explained by the lady in said clip. I just think the holier than thou attitude of a lot of people is quite frankly hilarious.

Anyway, as for driving he wasn’t far off 3rd or 4th ffs.

And considering the 4 drivers ahead of him are being touted as the next coming of Christ yes I think he’d be a welcome addition to the grid.

He’s a damn good driver. Anyone saying otherwise must not watch F2.

• Advertisement

Faugheen wrote: »
    Mazepin sounds like a right nasty piece of work if you even take this incident out of the picture

Maybe you’re right but this is the incident that is going to make or break him. None of his past is being discussed by the general public or media.

It’s this incident specifically that he’s being shunned for.

Edit.. And sorry maybe he doesn’t deserve it based on all his other misdemeanours over the year but that’s not the case here. None of those mattered to Haas or anyone else for that matter until this 10 second clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭This is it

His past is indicative of present and future behaviour

If you read back over my posts you would realise you’re wrong there.

In summary my point is simple most people cancelling this lad off know nothing about him other than a ten second clip that has been explained by the lady in said clip. I just think the holier than thou attitude of a lot of people is quite frankly hilarious.

Anyway, as for driving he wasn’t far off 3rd or 4th ffs.

And considering the 4 drivers ahead of him are being touted as the next coming of Christ yes I think he’d be a welcome addition to the grid.

He’s a damn good driver. Anyone saying otherwise must not watch F2.

If hes a damn good driver are his former colleagues poor for not having accrued 11 penalty points?

Hes an average driver with a wealthy father no different than Latifi. His money got him to skip the que. Hell it was only last night Pedro Piquet revealed Ilott had a Haas contract almost signed until Mazepin money punted him out of contention :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Eo1AE0ZWEAM_tEs?format=jpg&name=large

Can't wait to hear this thing at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I see Mick Schumacher will drive the Haas in FP1 this weekend instead of KMag.

If hes a damn good driver are his former colleagues poor for not having accrued 11 penalty points?

Hes an average driver with a wealthy father no different than Latifi. His money got him to skip the que. Hell it was only last night Pedro Piquet revealed Ilott had a Haas contract almost signed until Mazepin money punted him out of contention :pac:

You don’t like him which is fine but to say he’s an average driver is just biased against him and quite frankly laughable.

Don’t let your emotions rule your head.

The facts are he’s fifth and within the rules.

As I’ve mentioned before other lauded drivers before him were ruthless in the pursuit of victory, like the goat Schumacher.

Not saying he’s on Schumachers level but he’d have done anything to win. Definitely no angel.

You don’t like him which is fine but to say he’s an average driver is just biased against him and quite frankly laughable.

Don’t let your emotions rule your head.

The facts are he’s fifth and within the rules.

As I’ve mentioned before other lauded drivers before him were ruthless in the pursuit of victory, like the goat Schumacher.

Not saying he’s on Schumachers level but he’d have done anything to win. Definitely no angel.

Schumacher/Senna had enough talent that whatever transgressions they did were looked past. So unless you think Mazepin is actually that good bringing Schumacher into the same sentence is frankly laughable.

Emotions my arsé if you watched him try to force other drivers off the track and repeatedly endanger other drivers I doubt you would be trying to champion him.

Schumacher/Senna had enough talent that whatever transgressions they did were looked past. So unless you think Mazepin is actually that good bringing Schumacher into the same sentence is frankly laughable.

Did you read my post? Clearly not.

It’s not one rule for one and not for another.

Facts are the facts he is fifth. Ahead of Zhou, Lundgaard etc..

He’s a not a bad driver, he’s the fifth ffs and hot on the tails of Shwartzman and Tsunoda.

Again I’m not saying he’s an angel and that his past has a past because he does.

But Haas has completely looked past all of that and have taken him on board.

This decision will be based on a 10 second video, nothing else. (Rightly or Wrongly)

The dust will settle, the angry mob keyboard warriors will get bored and move on to the next thing they deem to be wrong and he will drive for Haas next year.

Haas would have sacked him by now otherwise.

But they haven’t and won’t imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

Anyone know if Hamilton has traveled from Bahrain yet? Or passed a test?

Abu Dhabi has a 48hr mandatory curfew so am I right in saying that if he hasn't landed by 1pm today he can't qualify on Saturday and thats it, we get another race to be interested in?

He’s a not a bad driver, he’s the fifth ffs and hot on the tails of Shwartzman and Tsunoda.

Again I’m not saying he’s an angel and that his past has a past because he does.

But Haas has completely looked past all of that and have taken him on board.

This decision will be based on a 10 second video, nothing else. (Rightly or Wrongly)

The dust will settle, the angry mob keyboard warriors will get bored and move on to the next thing they deem to be wrong and he will drive for Haas next year.

Haas would have sacked him by now otherwise.

But they haven’t and won’t imo.

And do you think its his talent that keeps him in that Haas seat?

For someone who claims to have watched F2 you seem quite unaware of Mazepins actual F2 "achievements" on track and seem more concerned with "angry mob keyboard warriors" "pc brigade" and "cancel culture"

• Advertisement

And do you think its his talent that keeps him in that Haas seat?

For someone who claims to have watched F2 you seem quite unaware of Mazepins actual F2 "achievements" on track and seem more concerned with "angry mob keyboard warriors" "pc brigade" and "cancel culture"

Seriously have you read anything I’ve posted on this???

And come on we all know $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is a big thing in F1.

Always has been and always will be. It shouldn’t even need to be said tbh. But there ya go. $$$$$$

That said he is talented. Again fifth in F2. Facts.

As for F2 I’m really not sure why it pains you to think that other people might watch F2 but yes I’ve probably watched more F2 this season than F1.

I still watch all the races in F1 but if I’m not watching live I’ll be honest I tend to fast forward them a bit. I don’t tend to do that with F2 as it’s just more exciting generally.

Anyway again my opinion is quite clear on this particular matter, IF you take the time to read my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id take this particular mazepin incident with a pinch of salt.
    If they are long time friends, i am sure she knew what she was dealing with.
    Its not like he grabbed a virl walking down the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

guyfo wrote: »
    Anyone know if Hamilton has traveled from Bahrain yet? Or passed a test?

Abu Dhabi has a 48hr mandatory curfew so am I right in saying that if he hasn't landed by 1pm today he can't qualify on Saturday and thats it, we get another race to be interested in?
    Following the rules to the letter and assuming no exceptions for F1 ($$$ talks) then yes you are correct

Seriously have you read anything I’ve posted on this???

And come on we all know $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is a big thing in F1.

Always has been and always will be. It shouldn’t even need to be said tbh. But there ya go. $$$$$$

As for F2 I’m really not sure why it pains you to think that other people might watch F2 but yes I’ve probably watched more F2 this season than F1.

I still watch all the races in F1 but if I’m not watching live I’ll be honest I tend to fast forward them a bit. I don’t tend to do that with F2 as it’s just more exciting generally.

Anyway again my opinion is quite clear on this particular matter, IF you take the time to read my posts.

Well for someone who follows F2 how you are suprised he accrued 11 points is an interesting Fact. Along with all his previous incidents you didn't know. Interesting

Well for someone who follows F2 how you are suprised he accrued 11 points is an interesting Fact. Along with all his previous incidents you didn't know. Interesting

I don’t follow nor do I have any interest in following social media so didn’t know about the George Russell thing or about alleged racial slurs.

And I don’t mind saying I don’t keep up with exactly how many points each driver accrues.

For what it’s worth I also follow football but couldn’t name the starting 11 for any side in the premiership.

I’ll be watching the boxing on Saturday night but couldn’t tell you the entire card right now off the top my head.

Does that mean I’m not fan?

I must reevaluate how I consume my interest in sport.

Thanks for the revelation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mickdw wrote: »
    Id take this particular mazepin incident with a pinch of salt.
    If they are long time friends, i am sure she knew what she was dealing with.
    Its not like he grabbed a virl walking down the street.

Even if we accept that they are buddies and this is how they behave with each other - posting it to social media like he did shows very poor judgment imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Some double standards there, in light of your repeated slating of Bottas as a bad driver, despite being second in the past two seasons (he'd need a DNF and a Max win on Sunday not to get second this season). You're able to make very detailed assessments of his driving despite not watching F1 that much.

Some double standards there, in light of your repeated slating of Bottas as a bad driver, despite being second in the past two seasons (he'd need a DNF and a Max win on Sunday not to get second this season).

Bottas is a completely different story in F1 in a car a monkey could come 2nd in.

Bottas has been incredibly average in that car outside of qualification.

George made an absolute and utter joke of him last weekend.

Not that it matters as Bottas is perfect for the one two without annoying Hamilton.

So I’m really not sure what your point is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Bottas has had one mechanical retirement each in 2020 and 2019 and 5 overall since he joined Merc. Lewis has had only one in the same period, back in 2018. Lewis also got the rub of the green in other ways, especially at Silverstone this year, when he got his blowout when it didn't matter, unlike Bottas. There's precious little between them when it comes to FP and qualifying, but Bottas is guilty of more bad starts.

To compare the Bottas v Lewis battle to the Albon v Max one is ridiculous. Albon is nowhere near Max when it comes to both qualifying and the race, and is almost never there when the team needs him to bring home the points.

I don't know what's happened Vettel. His head's just not right at all. The car is not the best but not as bad as Vettel's results would suggest. Leclerc certainly has a way of getting the best out of it. Anyone can have bad results in a good car, but you normally can't have good results in a bad car.

Bottas-Hamilton and Albon-Max are not the same in every respect but the one thing we all know is that the latter is the faster driver in both cases. 4 additional mechanical failures or bad luck are not the reason Hamilton beats Bottas comfortably over the seasons. He’s faster than Bottas (but Bottas is an excellent qualifier and it’s the strongest part of his game).

Likewise, Max is faster than Albon and nobody search for excuses for Albon (Albon is fast he just isn’t trying, doesn’t care, the car is crap, doesn’t like a loose back end which the Red Bull also has).

The gap between LeClerc and Vettel isn’t small. I posted the quali, race and points stats yesterday and they’re stark. When one driver that far behind the other, we all know the story - they’re just not as fast as their teammate. No need for excuses or pretending we don’t know which one is faster at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Watching the 2010 abu dhabi GP at the mo on sky f1
    interesting viewing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement