Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,991 ✭✭✭✭flazio

OK
    I'm happy Lewis has recovered, but I'm disappointed that he's racing this weekend as I was looking forward to a likeable driver possibly winning, I've no doubt George will drive the nuts off the Williams but let's face it, it'll be like returning to a 98 Starlet after getting a rental of 202 Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Harika wrote: »
    Really, open race? Mercedes was leading uncontended as usual, only for their pitstop blunder to open up the race

Fair point, slightly more open and a **** show of pit stops and early crashes. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

The legend of Russell grows. This series of events will make his eventual move to Mercedes, up there with the most anticipated moves in a long time.

Give it a couple of races with Russel dominating and we will all be moaning again

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Great to see Lewis is better but really would have loved to see Russel in the Mercedes again and not Hamilton.
    I guess we will just have to wait till 2022 when Russel and who knows who else will be in the Mercedes.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

russell will see some change when he goes back to driving that donkey. i can see him overdriving it and going past its grip levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

weisses wrote: »
    Give it a couple of races with Russel dominating and we will all be moaning again

100%. But it would at least give it a different complexion. What we need is Hamilton vs Russell (or any top driver) in the same car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

100%. But it would at least give it a different complexion. What we need is Hamilton vs Russell (or any top driver) in the same car.

This.

At least with Nico R you had a genuine contender who was interested in winning the title. Fair enough he couldn’t keep pace with Hamilton for a lot of it but at least he tried and capitalised on Hamilton’s mistakes and reliability issues to take the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I wonder if they will see a big drop the number of people tuning in compared to last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

weisses wrote: »

I haven't heard Russell go on endlessly about how having to survive on £2,500 a week growing up is poverty. I haven't heard Russell tell every country in the world that they have the best fans in the world. I haven't heard Russell say he "will remember" the drivers who don't support his political statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭Harika

GarIT wrote: »
    I haven't heard Russell go on endlessly about how having to survive on £2,500 a week growing up is poverty. I haven't heard Russell tell every country in the world that they have the best fans in the world. I haven't heard Russell say he "will remember" the drivers who don't support his political statements.

Wait until he is regularly winning and does something that rubs you the wrong way. The downside of being a fan, at one point he will do something stupid and you have to decide to ignore, turn away or defend stupid

• Advertisement

GarIT wrote: »

Yeah but as the poster above said, a few races of dominance and we’d all be moaning. Absolutely nobody would be happy about Hamilton’s dominance if he wasn’t a nobber but being a nobber means is extra easy to dislike him and his dominance

The only difference at the weekend was the name of the teammate beating Bottas by 7 seconds. With a bit of luck, Mercedes got the message that fans want to see a competition for the championship between teammates, if we can’t have competition between teams.

#RussellHamilton2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,792 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Harika wrote: »
    Wait until he is regularly winning and does something that rubs you the wrong way. The downside of being a fan, at one point he will do something stupid and you have to decide to ignore, turn away or defend stupid
    I agree to an extent. Replacing hamilton with russell doesnt solve anything except the name of the P1 guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I just don't get how he could recover from Covid in a week. It sounded like he was having a tough time, but maybe he had "mild symptoms" (whatever that really means) and was able to get back into it. He would hardly be racing if he still had a cough or was feeling tired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

He's a top-level athlete, The lowest of the low in terms of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Sure Trump was only out for the weekend wasn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,873 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I just don't get how he could recover from Covid in a week. It sounded like he was having a tough time, but maybe he had "mild symptoms" (whatever that really means) and was able to get back into it. He would hardly be racing if he still had a cough or was feeling tired.

I'm guessing we won't hear the end of it on Sunday either way.

Ms

Because he would have the best doctors and drugs as well to stop the virus. Not like he can't afford it.
    T-Maxx wrote: »
    Sure Trump was only out for the weekend wasn't he?

Yes that's right. Off lots of people including my old man think it was fake and there is no way he could get over it that quick. Who knows maybe he did or maybe it was all just fake.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

If we got a few years of Russell dominance people would obviously get sick of it. With 2022 a little bit up in the air (though if Merc stay around I can't see them not being at the sharp end) it'd be nice to have a 2021 season that might spark a little bit of interest before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

If we got a few years of Russell dominance people would obviously get sick of it. With 2022 a little bit up in the air (though if Merc stay around I can't see them not being at the sharp end) it'd be nice to have a 2021 season that might spark a little bit of interest before then.

It would be unlikely that a driver who hasn't even been on a podium would step into a car and dominate straight away. Besides the car and the ability to drive, there's also mental strength. As of now it looks like Russell is good in that area, but who knows what would happen over the course of a season. It might take him a few seasons to really get down to business.

There's also team politics, who his teammate is, the threat of a resurgence from other teams and the pressure that brings, changes to management, etc. So there's a lot to consider. If he does go to Merc it won't be another Hamilton situation - that level of dominance is years in the making.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Eo9q829XIAQDgZe?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

It would be unlikely that a driver who hasn't even been on a podium would step into a car and dominate straight away. Besides the car and the ability to drive, there's also mental strength. As of now it looks like Russell is good in that area, but who knows what would happen over the course of a season. It might take him a few seasons to really get down to business.

There's also team politics, who his teammate is, the threat of a resurgence from other teams and the pressure that brings, changes to management, etc. So there's a lot to consider. If he does go to Merc it won't be another Hamilton situation - that level of dominance is years in the making.

If it was Russell v Bottas I have no doubt who would win and we've seen that once Bottas is put in his place he stays there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Ted Kravitz on Mazepin.

“He’s technically not a F1 driver yet but he is technically a lout”

Surprised he was so open in that assessment! Fair play to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Lando and Carlos in another great McLaren production!

https://youtu.be/ocT5FRLq6fA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

That's class. Thanks for sharing :D

Ms

Gintonious wrote: »
    Eo9q829XIAQDgZe?format=jpg&name=large

Beautiful car and one of the most Beautiful F1 cars ever.
    Gintonious wrote: »

Great sound

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He is still kind of using that odd steering technique he had back in the day. I've watched a few races this year but the last time I really watched any formula one the cars sounded like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Enjoyed that. It's a shame to divide them, but it'll be an even funnier year with Lando and Danny next year.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Even the BBC Chequered Flag podcast saying they’re ambivalent about Hamilton coming back this weekend. It’s pretty clear everyone except Hamilton fans would prefer if he weren’t there this weekend. That must hurt Hamilton. He seems like a really thin skinned guy who needs millions of fans telling him he’s wonderful. And now most people would prefer if he weren’t there this weekend..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement