Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2020 - General Discussion Thread (See MOD warning on first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

weisses wrote: »
    I just want a screaming v10 or v8 who gives you a punch in the stomach with that downshift noise

Ah the blown diffuser sound, skip to 8:52 and 9:20 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,062 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

barryribs wrote: »
    I thought he's driven very well, he's matured into a good solid driver.

I find it hard enough to pick top 3 drivers, given that it seems to have been either really close between team mates or completely lop sided. Underperforming is easier, Vettel by miles followed by Bottas, Albon, Ocon, Haas, in any order you like. I don't think Latifi underperformed, I think thats about where he/the car is.

I think you're over egging the pubbing a bit there. Stroll has matured from a terrible driver who probably wasn't worth a spot on the grid, to a middling driver, probably below average.

I'd say any of the drivers you put in the underperforming class (Bottas, Albon, Ocon) would be better than him. That's not to say that you're wrong in your assessment that Stroll has improved and those drivers underperformed this year, but i think they're being held to very different standards.

mickdw wrote: »
    Yep. Usually the sign of a top notch driver. Strange one.
    I think he is better than he gets credit for.

I might be a sign of a top notch driver or it might be the fact that he raced a lot in Canada where the weather was often cold and wet. Getting the grip from the tyres was an important part of his apprenticeship in ways that drivers from hotter countries wouldn't have to learn about.

But there's no denying that he did well in that qualifying session. I wouldn't read too much into it. We have plenty of races and seasons of his performance to evaluate him. I wouldn't lean too heavily on one qualifying lap that bucks the trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭barryribs

I think you're over egging the pubbing a bit there. Stroll has matured from a terrible driver who probably wasn't worth a spot on the grid, to a middling driver, probably below average.

I'd say any of the drivers you put in the underperforming class (Bottas, Albon, Ocon) would be better than him. That's not to say that you're wrong in your assessment that Stroll has improved and those drivers underperformed this year, but i think they're being held to very different standards.

Your probably right, I think the bar is so low coming from where he started, any improvement would be noteworthy. I think that most drivers of his ability would not have gotten the time to improve as he has done too.

barryribs wrote: »
    Your probably right, I think the bar is so low coming from where he started, any improvement would be noteworthy. I think that most drivers of his ability would not have gotten the time to improve as he has done too.

Absolutely true about Stroll getting time to improve. The fact that Perez is getting the heave-ho, and keeping Stroll this year, is proof that it’s happening right now.

If it were left down to skill alone, he would be out next year and Perez would partner Vettel.

But Stroll has improved and has put in some good performances this year. Can’t fault his pole position, that was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭quokula

OSI wrote: »
    There was also provision made in the revised minimum weights to allow for an increased driver weight to stop the situation they had of drivers starving themselves to make weight, and anyone over 5'8" being severely hampered.

This only became necessary with the hybrids. Previously, although the minimum weight was much lower, the base weight of the cars was actually lower than that again and they made up the difference with ballast, so the driver was not an issue.

This is one of many articles from the 2013-2014 off season about how much drivers were struggling to reduce their weight to deal with the much, much heavier cars that weighed in above the increased minimum limit. This resulted in the eventual further increase in weight limits and the separation of the driver cell into a separate weigh in.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,297 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I might be a sign of a top notch driver or it might be the fact that he raced a lot in Canada where the weather was often cold and wet. Getting the grip from the tyres was an important part of his apprenticeship in ways that drivers from hotter countries wouldn't have to learn about.

But there's no denying that he did well in that qualifying session. I wouldn't read too much into it. We have plenty of races and seasons of his performance to evaluate him. I wouldn't lean too heavily on one qualifying lap that bucks the trend.

There has been a few occasions where he has come to the front in mixed up races. Some due to them running near the back and being able to take a wild chsnce on strategy etc but still he has come to the top a few times.

mickdw wrote: »
    There has been a few occasions where he has come to the front in mixed up races. Some due to them running near the back and being able to take a wild chsnce on strategy etc but still he has come to the top a few times.

Yeah fair enough. He might be good in the rain and being good on the rain might suggest someone is a top driver, but he’s not a top driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,933 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Fingers crossed that Sir Frank will pull through and be home for Christmas.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1338889183377711106?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Gintonious wrote: »
    EpNu4xGXUAEE6GH?format=jpg&name=large

Love these photos, look at everyone out looking at it. And the Ferrari mechanic giving it some.

I see Alonsos time in the young drivers test in the Renault was faster than anytime over the whole of the race weekend. So Alonso and Renault might even be able to challenge Mercedes next year. How great would that be to have Lewis, Alonso and Max fighting at the front. I really hope they can make it happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

flazio wrote: »
    Fingers crossed that Sir Frank will pull through and be home for Christmas.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamsRacing/status/1338889183377711106?s=19

That doesn't look good...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭This is it

AMKC wrote: »
    I see Alonsos time in the young drivers test in the Renault was faster than anytime over the whole of the race weekend. So Alonso and Renault might even be able to challenge Mercedes next year. How great would that be to have Lewis, Alonso and Max fighting at the front. I really hope they can make it happen.

Can they improve that much? Wishful thinking for me but I'd love for anyone to challenge the Mercs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Was he on a softer tyre or anything?

Ms

christy c wrote: »

No idea what tyres he was on. Just hope he can set hot laps like that at some of the tracks next year as well as win at some and it good be a good year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

No idea what tyres he was on. Just hope he can set hot laps like that at some of the tracks next year as well as win at some and it good be a good year then.

Would be nice to see a change alright, but doesn't add up to me. The Renaults didn't even get in to Q3

Ms

Would be nice to see a change alright, but doesn't add up to me. The Renaults didn't even get in to Q3

Well even if they are not quiet at the front yet McLaren should be with there new Mercedes engine.
    I do think next year should be a better year than other years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

any decision on the merc DAS system . was it used much and did it get bring any benifit

any decision on the merc DAS system . was it used much and did it get bring any benifit

Nobody I heard speak about it seemed to reckon it was a huge advantage in spite of the big noise about it. Mercedes decided to keep it on the car so it must have been worth it in their calculations.

Might have helped to warm the front tyres under safety car and formation lap conditions. It’s gone for next year in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Hopefully we will get some launch dates for next years cars soon.

OSI wrote: »
    There was also provision made in the revised minimum weights to allow for an increased driver weight to stop the situation they had of drivers starving themselves to make weight, and anyone over 5'8" being severely hampered.

As said above it was later that drivers started starving themselves, Webber looked awful for a couple of years. Before KERs just about every team were capable of running well underweight even with the 605kg total limit. Remember BAR deliberately doing it using an extra fuel tank and all? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

It's been banned for next season
    www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/52087215

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

As said above it was later that drivers started starving themselves, Webber looked awful for a couple of years. Before KERs just about every team were capable of running well underweight even with the 605kg total limit. Remember BAR deliberately doing it using an extra fuel tank and all? :pac:

Alonso after the 2009 Bahrain race, he was fairly "hungry lookin" around that time.

fernando-alonso-of-spain-and-renault-feels-unwell-due-to-the-heat-picture-id86224076

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Alonso after the 2009 Bahrain race, he was fairly "hungry lookin" around that time.

fernando-alonso-of-spain-and-renault-feels-unwell-due-to-the-heat-picture-id86224076

Was that not some issue with dehydration and something overheating. If I recall correctly he had to be treated for buns on his back and ass in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Feel bad for Kvyat. Never was a big fan of his but he was a good driver. People look back a bit harshly on him in my eyes and he proved he could race.

Sadly called it the moment Mazepin got a seat like most did. Still annoys me that Mazepin will be on the grid. He’s a driver I’m hoping achieves nothing.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Feel bad for Kvyat. Never was a big fan of his but he was a good driver. People look back a bit harshly on him in my eyes and he proved he could race.

Sadly called it the moment Mazepin got a seat like most did. Still annoys me that Mazepin will be on the grid. He’s a driver I’m hoping achieves nothing.

There are rumours that he plans to buy Haas after the start of the season. No idea why then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Track would be rubbered in, and maybe a bit warmer temps too.

Impressive none the less.

Adamocovic wrote: »

He’s below average though, to be fair. He’s alright and had long enough to show what he’s about and the answer is: not enough.

GarIT wrote: »
    There are rumours that he plans to buy Haas after the start of the season. No idea why then.

He lost his case against the Stroll consortium buy-out of force India, today. He had sued because he thought he had the higher bid - which i think he did. But he wasn't successful in the case.

He didn't show up to court himself which was mentioned as having a negative impact on the case. Sounds like a nobber. Maybe the apple doesn't fall far...

I imagine they can press ahead with plans to take over Haas now that the case is out of the way.

Imagine we could be moving towards a situation which could make Lance Stroll getting a seat in his dad's team look sympathetic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭tipp_tipp_tipp

GarIT wrote: »
    Was that not some issue with dehydration and something overheating. If I recall correctly he had to be treated for buns on his back and ass in hospital.

Ah really, never knew about the burns, nasty.

He had lost a load of weight over the winter though and i think at the time that image certainly asked a lot of questions about what the KERS drivers were having to do to trim weight.

• Advertisement

Helmut Marko hinting at Perez. He said that he likes Tsunoda so much he wanted to put him in the Red Bull but he thinks they can win the teams championship if they have two drivers who can challenge at the front next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement