Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

You won’t ever find a cop car being driven like that without lights and sirens on.
    Funnily enough, I jokingly told a driver he forgot to put on his blues coming down the bus lane like that. Well f*ck me if he didn't put them on then and there. I just gave him a thumbs up and thankfully the lights went green so I just cycled on. It was an unmarked car in case that wasn't clear. e was doing a ton coming past UCD and nearly hit a two cars that he screamed through as they were merging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I would like to thank Sam for all he has done for cycling in Ireland today.

It’s the first spin I’ve been on this year where every car gave a decent amount of room and didn’t feel the need to pluck a calf hair with their bumper.

Hopefully it sticks....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

I would like to thank Sam for all he has done for cycling in Ireland today.

It’s the first spin I’ve been on this year where every car gave a decent amount of room and didn’t feel the need to pluck a calf hair with their bumper.

Hopefully it sticks....

Listening to Off The Ball yesterday....had a cycling journalists saying the success of Sam will get more people cycling especially kids.

If we want those kids to keep cycling, motorists need to give cyclists as much room as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

micar wrote: »
    Listening to Off The Ball yesterday....had a cycling journalists saying the success of Sam will get more people cycling especially kids.

If we want those kids to keep cycling, motorists need to give cyclists as much room as possible.

If you want those kids to keep cycling the infrastructure needs to change. I have a lot of sympathy for people driving on poor roads that don’t allow ALL
    Road users to make sufficient progress, it doesn’t excuse dangerous driving but I can sympathize to a degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,666 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If you want those kids to keep cycling the infrastructure needs to change. I have a lot of sympathy for people driving on poor roads that don’t allow ALL
    Road users to make sufficient progress, it doesn’t excuse dangerous driving but I can sympathize to a degree.

I keep trying to explain to driver I know that often this cycling infrastructure will help them too by getting us out of their way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I keep trying to explain to driver I know that often this cycling infrastructure will help them too by getting us out of their way

You’re up against it with some people. I had a “discussion” with my mother at the weekend, in the course of which she insisted that all the new cycles lanes she has to pay for are too wide and too narrow, and there’s too many of them taking up road space, and they need to put more in because cyclists, including kids, are having to go down the middle of the road when there’s none there.

Now I think of it, half of that was positive. I ended up being wrong anyway, though.

Breezer wrote: »
    You’re up against it with some people. I had a “discussion” with my mother at the weekend, in the course of which she insisted that all the new cycles lanes she has to pay for are too wide and too narrow, and there’s too many of them taking up road space, and they need to put more in because cyclists, including kids, are having to go down the middle of the road when there’s none there.

Now I think of it, half of that was positive. I ended up being wrong anyway, though.

I got crap from a woman tonight who was walking in a cycle lane with her back to traffic. I told her to be careful as its essentially road to which she replied "no its not its a cycle path" Clues in the name you stuck up t***

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I rewatched and my blood is boiling. Just off the phone with the extremely helpful traffic watch. Call logged there, but she suggested I go straight to the station given contact was made, and this was more likely a hit and run rather than a dangerous overtake. One way or another I should have contact from Gardai soon.

I'd like to show the video, but for now I'll sit on it before posting it online.

Just a small update on this. I have had one call from a Garda, it was only 2 days after the incident, so no complaints on timing. I explained again what happened in this incident and was then asked what would I like the Gardai to do. This was a bit unexpected honestly, and I responded as such. The Gard suggested maybe having a chat with the driver, to which I pushed back and reiterated that there was contact made in this pass, and that there was a 'Dangerous Pass of Cyclists' penalty point offence. I did mention that given there was contact I wondered if this more than a dangerous pass, to which I had no real response.

Not much else was said, just a question of whether I was willing to give a statement to which I said I was, and I would be willing to do whatever was required. I did pass on the video footage via email, and I have since been asked if I could transfer it to a USB stick, all through email.

So in short, they have seen the footage and have asked if I can provide a physical copy. A fast start, but I feel things are starting to drag now. I wonder how long this will take.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what i suspect it is - spitballing here - is that there's a cohort of gardai, who when there's a prang between cars are likely to expect the motorists to just go to the insurance company if necessary, why involve the gardai?
    but they don't see an issue with that 'no harm no foul' approach when it comes to cyclists.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You’ll get Gardai that are very proactive and take you seriously but more likely they treat you as if you’re wasting their time.

One told me that the standard of driving in Ireland was awful and then with a straight face that I’d have to be knocked of the bike for him to do anything.

I flat out asked him was I just wasting his time reporting such incidents and he said I should continue to do so. Something has to change regarding roads policing in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

I live off Carysfort Ave in Blackrock which has recently got an excellent bike lane. It is wonderful seeing all the people use it and especially the junior infants going to school that will know no different (as it should be).
    I have however had a number in "interactions" that concern me and I believe all those in favour of cycling need to really push for more infrastructure and maintenance for what we have as tere is a pushback:
    1) While travelling away from Stillorgan on Stillorgan park road I was dangerously overtaken by a neighbour. I blew a gasket and asked what she was doing upon which I was educated that A) I am legally required to use the cylce lane (there isn't really one just a shared rough surface on the path) and B) She didnt really feel it ws a close pass as I wasnt in the cycle lane!!
    2) Another neighbor informed me she stopped her car and EXPLAINED aggressively to a cyclist on Carysfort Avenue "what are you doing on the road haven't we given up enough space to your cycle lane"...No real answer to that proud of intimidating a cyclist who is not breaking the law and divisive language.

3) The residents rep says she is under pressure to make a significant number of representations to the council about how inappropriate, from many perspectives, the lanes are and why they should be closed.
    Sorry long post but there is significant ill feeling about the lanes and so much RE-EDUCATION is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just a small update on this. I have had one call from a Garda, it was only 2 days after the incident, so no complaints on timing. I explained again what happened in this incident and was then asked what would I like the Gardai to do. This was a bit unexpected honestly, and I responded as such. The Gard suggested maybe having a chat with the driver, to which I pushed back and reiterated that there was contact made in this pass, and that there was a 'Dangerous Pass of Cyclists' penalty point offence. I did mention that given there was contact I wondered if this more than a dangerous pass, to which I had no real response.

Not much else was said, just a question of whether I was willing to give a statement to which I said I was, and I would be willing to do whatever was required. I did pass on the video footage via email, and I have since been asked if I could transfer it to a USB stick, all through email.

So in short, they have seen the footage and have asked if I can provide a physical copy. A fast start, but I feel things are starting to drag now. I wonder how long this will take.
    Just curious - did you sent them a low-res version by email or a link to an uploaded version? I've had different responses like 'oh, you can't put it anywhere on d'Internet, even with a private link'. Their email limit seems to be 10mb, which doesn't give much scope for video.

Cycle on the road = screaming
    Cycle on the cycle path = screaming

The truth is people just have an irrational hatred for cyclists. You see the same if you go on a vegetarian thread it's full of furious people who's lives are in no way affected by other people's diets but are mad anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

work wrote: »
    I live off Carysfort Ave in Blackrock which has recently got an excellent bike lane. It is wonderful seeing all the people use it and especially the junior infants going to school that will know no different (as it should be).
    I have however had a number in "interactions" that concern me and I believe all those in favour of cycling need to really push for more infrastructure and maintenance for what we have as tere is a pushback:
    1) While travelling away from Stillorgan on Stillorgan park road I was dangerously overtaken by a neighbour. I blew a gasket and asked what she was doing upon which I was educated that A) I am legally required to use the cylce lane (there isn't really one just a shared rough surface on the path) and B) She didnt really feel it ws a close pass as I wasnt in the cycle lane!!
    2) Another neighbor informed me she stopped her car and EXPLAINED aggressively to a cyclist on Carysfort Avenue "what are you doing on the road haven't we given up enough space to your cycle lane"...No real answer to that proud of intimidating a cyclist who is not breaking the law and divisive language.

3) The residents rep says she is under pressure to make a significant number of representations to the council about how inappropriate, from many perspectives, the lanes are and why they should be closed.
    Sorry long post but there is significant ill feeling about the lanes and so much RE-EDUCATION is needed.

I live in the area and have been following the "debate" on social media particularly about the Seapoint Ave - Sandycove lanes. The councillors are all very quiet on the issues of the new lanes. This leads me to believe there is widespread support. The only recent work where submissions were invited was the Blackrock Main Street scheme. Despite almost unanimous opposition on social media almost 75% of submissions were positive. (see extract below)

The public feedback from Phase One saw over 160 submissions and we have taken note and amended some of the elements of the project to reflect some of this public input. 74% of the submissions were positive, 18% negative and 8% neutral.

There is no harm in letting the council know you approve of the recent work or if you have any suggestions. I find they always respond to emails.

info@dlrcoco.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

Cycle on the road = screaming
    Cycle on the cycle path = screaming

The truth is people just have an irrational hatred for cyclists. You see the same if you go on a vegetarian thread it's full of furious people who's lives are in no way affected by other people's diets but are mad anyway.

On this point. Not exactly a cycling incident but my girlfriend had an incident yesterday walking home from work, she put her foot on the road (a minor lane leading onto a main road) while looking at her phone. She shouldn't have stepped onto the road before looking up but she claimed she wasn't going to actually cross before looking up.... anyway a woman driving a jeep on this lane claimed my gf was very lucky she didn't end up in St. James' and that "she hopes she gets hit the next time".

Despicable language out of someone in a jeep directed towards a more vulnerable road user. I don't care how unobservant a pedestrian is, if you're driving a jeep in the city, slow down and expect the unexpected... sick of these verbal wars going on between people on our streets. You can't be in that much of a rush.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just curious - did you sent them a low-res version by email or a link to an uploaded version? I've had different responses like 'oh, you can't put it anywhere on d'Internet, even with a private link'. Their email limit seems to be 10mb, which doesn't give much scope for video.

Sent a link to an unlisted youtube video. Which they watched on their phone from the looks of the youtube stats. As you say, there was no other way to send it, as email limits are tiny, and linking to a file sharing site wouldn't be ideal.

There was no push back on receiving the youtube link, just a request for the file on a USB after. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause any issues.

work wrote: »

Dear lord :rolleyes: you're never going to get a reasonable discussion out of someone once they decide that if you shouldn't be there it is justification for intimidation. Same on my local area group chat. I pointed out to one in particular the laws, rules and reasons, to which she politely told me to get f*cked. The idiocy of some of them is astonishing. Not that they care but:
    - you are not legally required to use the path
    - close passing is dangerous driving and a PP offence whether she likes you there or not.
    - you are 100% right on the intimidation. This actually constitutes assault and if a Garda wanted to there could be a court date and quite a serious fine/jail time for it.

I actually got blocked from our local whatsapp group (partner still on it) for talking too much sense and using facts when a discussion regarding traffic calming came up. Wagon hasn't as much as looked at me since when we pass each other on the street which is immensely satisfying :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sent a link to an unlisted youtube video. Which they watched on their phone from the looks of the youtube stats. As you say, there was no other way to send it, as email limits are tiny, and linking to a file sharing site wouldn't be ideal.

There was no push back on receiving the youtube link, just a request for the file on a USB after. Fingers crossed it doesn't cause any issues.

Thanks, I've done that myself in the past too. More recently, I've got the 'oh no, it couldn't be up on the Internet in any form' before going to Court.
    . They really need a simple way of submitting video, hopefully one not owned by a commercial vendor such as Nextbase as done by some UK police forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,300 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No local WhatsApp groups, fortunately (enough with the children!), but I just ignore the cycling posts on the Facebook groups... Schrodingers Cyclists - both going to slow "holding up traffic" and "racing" past peoples houses. And we should also "get off the road" whilst also getting "off the trails"...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thanks, I've done that myself in the past too. More recently, I've got the 'oh no, it couldn't be up on the Internet in any form' before going to Court.
    . They really need a simple way of submitting video, hopefully one not owned by a commercial vendor such as Nextbase as done by some UK police forces.
    I submitted this one I previously posted about via email at the Garda's request.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113259042&postcount=1314
    The Garda was great and the driver has apparently been done on a charge that will have a longer impact on their record.

In saying that, I've submitted statements along with hard copy video evidence and the response from AGS has been complete silence. I think it really depends on who you get behind the counter in the station. Some gardai will keep you in the loop whereas others simply don't care. I've a garda in Lucan who has called me up two or three times regarding an incident to give me updates (the delays aren't his fault).

Given the technology should be really cheap to impliment, it should be easy to roll out. However, in this country you'll still have to make the formal statement because evidence on video isn't "stand-alone" evidence. It is merely a backup to your written statement, so even with a tech solution, you still have to go to the station and watch the garda write out the stupid description of how you got scared by the drivers actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I submitted this one I previously posted about via email at the Garda's request.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113259042&postcount=1314
    The Garda was great and the driver has apparently been done on a charge that will have a longer impact on their record.

In saying that, I've submitted statements along with hard copy video evidence and the response from AGS has been complete silence. I think it really depends on who you get behind the counter in the station. Some gardai will keep you in the loop whereas others simply don't care. I've a garda in Lucan who has called me up two or three times regarding an incident to give me updates (the delays aren't his fault).

Given the technology should be really cheap to impliment, it should be easy to roll out. However, in this country you'll still have to make the formal statement because evidence on video isn't "stand-alone" evidence. It is merely a backup to your written statement, so even with a tech solution, you still have to go to the station and watch the garda write out the stupid description of how you got scared by the drivers actions.

Was the passenger charged with anything?

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Was the passenger charged with anything?
    Not to my knowledge. My understanding is that it could possibly be construed that they were simply re-closing the door if you follow me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Not to my knowledge. My understanding is that it could possibly be construed that they were simply re-closing the door if you follow me.

My ar$e :eek::pac: - the door was closed when they left the lights.

DeadSkin wrote: »
    My ar$e :eek::pac: - the door was closed when they left the lights.
    Yeah, maybe but the garda felt it would be a definite to pursue the driver on a different charge, one which I was happy with.
    (I won't say what in case it prejudices anything)

I really can't believe this level of stupid...
    https://twitter.com/thedogh06218757/status/1310303661613109256

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i would operate on the assumption that that person is a troll.

I really can't believe this level of stupid...
    https://twitter.com/thedogh06218757/status/1310303661613109256

Check the replys. At one stage he says 3 people are alive today thanks to me what a hero

Check the replys. At one stage he says 3 people are alive today thanks to me what a hero

He doubles down. Says he seen an obstacle for a cyclist coming up to a speed bump. Now he maybe right that the cyclist should have checked their side but on the same note as a motorist, one of the first things I was taught was to assume that other road users might move out of the way of an obstruction so be prepared. So he seen what was coming and then gets annoyed that the other person done exactly what he expected them to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

"She didn't indicate, how was I supposed to know she wasn't planning on cycling straight into the bollard?"

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Advertisement