Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you and i have a different definition of the word 'reckless', when we're talking about a driver who starts an overtaking manouevre they've clearly got no idea if they'll be able to complete safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

you and i have a different definition of the word 'reckless', when we're talking about a driver who starts an overtaking manouevre they've clearly got no idea if they'll be able to complete safely.

There are different levels of reckless, it’s a subjective word.
    I wouldn’t put this at the higher level.
    I wouldn’t do it, but it’s far from the worst.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, a quick google says 'heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous.'
    by that definition, the driver shown was reckless, no doubt about it.

well, a quick google says 'heedless of danger or the consequences of one's actions; rash or impetuous.'
    by that definition, the driver shown was reckless, no doubt about it.

Language doesn’t live in a dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I would be happy if that was the worst display of driving to be seen.
    To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

At absolute best, it's a classic example of what I said just on this thread 3 pages ago:
    Driver's ability to read the road ahead in any shape or fashion is gone to absolute cr*p....

Also, it appears the driver slowed down quickly about 1 sec in, and then thought "ah screw it i can still get through" and pushed on more to the point where
    they conceded they couldnt get away with pushing through, at which point their car was dangerously close to an unprotected kid on a bike.

It’s not that bad to be fair, they probably should have waited but it’s not reckless.

That's a pretty low bar of expectation you're setting on driving standards TBF.

• Advertisement

Language doesn’t live in a dictionary.
    well, then you can use any definition you want for reckless. the rest of us might not know what you mean, though.

Duckjob wrote: »
    At absolute best, it's a classic example of what I said just on this thread 3 pages ago:

Also, it appears the driver slowed down quickly about 1 sec in, and then thought "ah screw it i can still get through" and pushed on more to the point where
    they conceded they couldnt get away with pushing through, at which point their car was dangerously close to an unprotected kid on a bike.

That's a pretty low bar of expectation you're setting on driving standards TBF.

The cyclists had plenty of room to get through once the car stopped.
    I never said it was right, I said it’s not the worst thing you see and the drivers decisions are wrong, but the infrastructure is a major part of the problem.

well, then you can use any definition you want for reckless. the rest of us might not know what you mean, though.

I didn’t define reckless you did, I’ve had enough close calls on my bike to know that this is far far from the worst that you see, and as I said if it was the worst that happened me it wouldn’t be a bad day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

The cyclists had plenty of room to get through once the car stopped.
    I never said it was right, I said it’s not the worst thing you see and the drivers decisions are wrong, but the infrastructure is a major part of the problem.

The major part of the problem was the manner in which the driver dealt with the bad infrastructure.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    The major part of the problem was the manner in which the driver dealt with the bad infrastructure.

Reminds me of a road local to me that features in my local WhatsApp group quite a bit due to accidents at one particular spot on it. These messages always refer to the "bad bend", as if that's the main source of the problem.

I don't see anything tricky about it - it's just a bend. It's been there for probably over 60 years and to my knowledge in that time it has never moved or shifted around.

What I do see quite frequently is people coming around it far too fast with their wheels well over the middle line because they couldnt be bothered to adjust their speed down to a speed appropriate for the conditions and take the correct line through the bend.

It's astounding the lengths people can go to deflect blame away from their sloppy driving.

• Advertisement

Duckjob wrote: »
    Reminds me of a road local to me that features in my local WhatsApp group quite a bit due to accidents at one particular spot on it. These messages always refer to the "bad bend", as if that's the main source of the problem.

I don't see anything tricky about it - it's just a bend. It's been there for probably over 60 years and to my knowledge in that time it has never moved or shifted around.

What I do see quite frequently is people coming around it far too fast with their wheels well over the middle line because they couldnt be bothered to adjust their speed down to a speed appropriate for the conditions and take the correct line through the bend.

It's astounding the lengths people can go to deflect blame away from their sloppy driving.

Do you navigate this particular bend at the speed limit which applies to that road?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do you navigate this particular bend at the speed limit which applies to that road?
    I'm wondering where you're going with this. Many bends cannot be taken at the prevailing speed limit even if there were no pedestrians, cyclists, traffic, etc.
    Doesn't mean that you should drive around a bend under the speed limit yet still too fast.

I'm wondering where you're going with this. Many bends cannot be taken at the prevailing speed limit even if there were no pedestrians, cyclists, traffic, etc.
    Doesn't mean that you should drive around a bend under the speed limit yet still too fast.

If a particular bend is the site of multiple accidents it pretty obvious that it’s a contributory factor to the accidents.

That concept seems to be lost on a lot of people, which is pretty surprising in a forum about cycling which constantly advocates for better Infrastructure.

The placement of gatso vans has been based on this concept since their introduction. Particular areas need to be controlled and patrolled for safety reasons. Roads may appear to drivers to be safe to increase speed but as a source of accidents it clearly not.

If someone is driving a road they don’t know they follow the speed limit, if a section of that road isn’t suitable and safe for the prevailing speed limit it either needs an engineered solution (widening, straightening) or an administrative one - signage, road marking, reduced limit with adequate warning. The fact that the OP knows this bad bend is fine for him, put a potential source of danger for people unfamiliar with it.

There is a road near me where you go around 7 bends all the while the white line in the middle is a broken not solid line. That gives drivers unfamiliar with the road a question that overtaking is possible, when it should be a solid white line.

Roads aren’t perfect, far from it but we don’t demand enough of the people tasked with improving them.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dear lord, follow the speed limit ?!? regardless of the conditions the limit is just that, a limit, not a target. Drive to the conditions. It's this kind of attitude that is one of the main factors in most road traffic accidents.

I DO WISH, THAT PEOPLE WOULD STOP REFERRING TO COLLISIONS AS ACCIDENTS.

If a particular bend is the site of multiple accidents it pretty obvious that it’s a contributory factor to the accidents.

That concept seems to be lost on a lot of people, which is pretty surprising in a forum about cycling which constantly advocates for better Infrastructure.

The placement of gatso vans has been based on this concept since their introduction. Particular areas need to be controlled and patrolled for safety reasons. Roads may appear to drivers to be safe to increase speed but as a source of accidents it clearly not.

If someone is driving a road they don’t know they follow the speed limit, if a section of that road isn’t suitable and safe for the prevailing speed limit it either needs an engineered solution (widening, straightening) or an administrative one - signage, road marking, reduced limit with adequate warning. The fact that the OP knows this bad bend is fine for him, put a potential source of danger for people unfamiliar with it.

There is a road near me where you go around 7 bends all the while the white line in the middle is a broken not solid line. That gives drivers unfamiliar with the road a question that overtaking is possible, when it should be a solid white line.

Roads aren’t perfect, far from it but we don’t demand enough of the people tasked with improving them.

I don't necessarily disagree with you on your point of inadequate infrastructure. The road I'm talking about, like so many here in Ireland, was I'm sure perfectly adequate for Ireland 1950s, but is totally unfit for purpose in Ireland 2020, not least because it has no safe facilities for anyone not in a car.

On the other hand, holding county councils to higher standards and holding our road users to higher standards are not mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

To my mind the biggest problem there is the infrastructure, no segregated bike lane and It should be a one way street Because it’s so narrow.

The Audi attempt to overtake is so slow that oncoming traffic while being pretty inevitable is Never in danger, they are aware of the bike when they slow and stop to allow enough room for the cyclist to continue.

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to make roads like this one way because dickheads like this won't make sure they have time and space to overtake safely?

Here's an alternative suggestion - let's start taking and crushing cars from idiots who drive like this, and see how long it takes for the masses to get the message.

Or maybe drivers should notice the upcoming bends and adjust their speed accordingly?

I really can't wait for autonomous vehicles - buggy software would be much better than the average driver in Ireland.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Dear lord, follow the speed limit ?!? regardless of the conditions the limit is just that, a limit, not a target. Drive to the conditions. It's this kind of attitude that is one of the main factors in most road traffic accidents.

So poor road design doesn’t happen? The roads are perfect are they? It’s the drivers that are the problem?

Are you seriously suggesting that we need to make roads like this one way because dickheads like this won't make sure they have time and space to overtake safely?

Here's an alternative suggestion - let's start taking and crushing cars from idiots who drive like this, and see how long it takes for the masses to get the message.

Yes strangely I’m suggesting the roads are designed or redesigned in such a way that allows for the maximum safety of the users on them. Bikes in segregated lanes, two car lanes.

Did you notice that road doesn’t have a central line on it? And the lumpy surface on it. Is that to much to ask in this day and age That our roads actually have painted markings on them?

• Advertisement

Or maybe drivers should notice the upcoming bends and adjust their speed accordingly?

I really can't wait for autonomous vehicles - buggy software would be much better than the average driver in Ireland.

Notice an upcoming badly designed dangerous bend where obeying the speed limit on that road is to fast.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.
    Hard to see it catching on.

And you won’t ever see me in a autonomous vehicle, nor will there be widespread introduction of them under the current insurance regimes that exists.

Notice an upcoming badly designed dangerous bend where obeying the speed limit on that road is to fast.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.

And you won’t ever see me in a autonomous vehicle, nor will there be widespread introduction of them under the current insurance regimes that exists.

Not so much psychic as putting their phones down and keeping their eyes and their minds on the road ahead. Try it sometime.

BTW, roads designed to facilitate speeding are the absolute opposite of safety.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Apologies
    So poor road design doesn’t happen? The roads are perfect are they? It’s the drivers that are the problem?
    Happens all the time, do you know what would solve the issues with alot of bad road design, better drivers. In fact alot of what you are suggesting is bad road design as it encourages drivers to go faster. What we need is a system where drivers are taught from day one that speed limits are not targets (which most driving instructors do the opposite). If you are not smart enough to realise that doing 80 round a blind bend is not a good idea and do it because it is the "limit" then you really should be DQ'd from driving. Regrettably we are too protective if drivers in this country, therefore its not the infrastructures fault but society in general.
    Yes strangely I’m suggesting the roads are designed or redesigned in such a way that allows for the maximum safety of the users on them. Bikes in segregated lanes, two car lanes
    Forgetting the cost, space and everything else that makes this a non runner, why not just make everyone behave safely through education and enforcement.
    Did you notice that road doesn’t have a central line on it? And the lumpy surface on it. Is that to much to ask in this day and age That our roads actually have painted markings on them?
    There is actually a reason for that, the road isn't wide enough for painted markings in many cases under the regulations.

Like be psychic?
    Great idea.
    Are you saying if you can't see around a corner and you have never driven on the road before (and yes I am aware that having driven on the road shouldn't be a consideration but I fear I may lose who this is aimed at), that you keep tipping away at the speed limit. This is what you think the most reasonable course of action is?!? It's stupid, it is illegal and is god damn f*cking dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

Hope it's ok to post this here, thought about this thread when out on a cycle today.
    Had a near miss earlier - no other vehicles involved. A couple of Deer scared the crap out of me by sprinting out from the trees and running out across the fireroad when I was going downhill @+35kmph, this was on Carrick. Had a lovely relaxing few hours cycling mainly offload other than that bit of excitement!

ofthelord wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to post this here
    that's what the thread is for!
    i was once nearly cleaned out of it by a stag in the dark on the khyber road in the phoenix park. would have startled me but for the fact that by the time i realised what had happened, it was already well clear of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

that's what the thread is for!
    i was once nearly cleaned out of it by a stag in the dark on the khyber road in the phoenix park. would have startled me but for the fact that by the time i realised what had happened, it was already well clear of me.

I posted footage of the same on Near Misses 1. Happened near Newtownmountkennedy. I didn't post footage the second time as, for me, it was old hat at that stage :D

ps It does frighten the cr*p out of you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got out for a spin at lunch today and had 3 interesting interactions the first and last were within 100m from home so wont post, but one lady drove at me on the wrong side of the road on her phone while looking for a neighbour she seemed to think I was in the wrong for pointing at the correct side of the road and then at almost the same spot on the way back a tradesman walked out on the road without looking I let him know I was there and his response was to slow down!!

I must be wearing my invisibility suit today as for this muppet beeps at me to make way for him I guess? Then proceeds to pass too close while entering a blind bend?? https://streamable.com/oswpo1 and gives a puddle plenty of room!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

tnegun wrote: »
    I must be wearing my invisibility suit today as for this muppet beeps at me to make way for him I guess? Then proceeds to pass too close while entering a blind bend?? https://streamable.com/oswpo1 and gives a puddle plenty of room!
    Am I hearing things or did they tap their horn around 0:16?

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »

That is just too close to home for comfort.

Advertisement