Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

Saw this one on stickybottle over the weekend, some of the replies beggar belief

https://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/irish-club-cyclists-head-on-close-pass-with-tractor-trailer-no-reg-plates-video/

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

They're all out today. Three close ones but the first two recorded over due to being early in the ride.

This one isn't a close pass per se but still an unnecessary and dangerous manouevre. To this moron it would appear that my descnding at 65kmh (and rising) with a solid white line beside me was not fast enough:

His journey must have been an emergency it seems. Well no, it wasn't. Here he is a couple of minutes later queuing up for fuel. At the bottom of the same hill.

His net time gain? A big, fat zero. Absolutely nothing. He was in exactly the same place as he would have been had he stayed where he was. Sums up the prevailing MGIF attitude to bikes in ths country. I have been stuck in a train of vehicles behind tractors travelling at half that speed on that road and everybody just sits and waits with no horns blowing. But a bike? No, can't have that.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Always get MGIF effers coming down the scalp and always catch them 90s later at the lights. Cyclists MUST be overtaken. Its motoring 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,075 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

ED E wrote: »
    Always get MGIF effers coming down the scalp and always catch them 90s later at the lights. Cyclists MUST be overtaken. Its motoring 101.

Cycle lanes are seen as something built because of cyclists but its actully the motoists are the cause of the need for cycle lanes everywhere. If car drivers took the same caution overtaking a bike as they do other cars we woulndnt need most of these lanes

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As someone who grew upon a farm, learned to drive vehicles from my Dad from 2 wheels upto 8, I was shocked to find one responder who claimed to know how to drive restrict their account and another blocked me after I pointed out perceived issues. All my time on twitter I've never had to ban or block anyone or had the same done to me. Surely if you have the courage of your convictions you would stand over them?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    As someone who grew upon a farm, learned to drive vehicles from my Dad from 2 wheels upto 8, I was shocked to find one responder who claimed to know how to drive restrict their account and another blocked me after I pointed out perceived issues. All my time on twitter I've never had to ban or block anyone or had the same done to me. Surely if you have the courage of your convictions you would stand over them?

The gas thing is from my reading of the comments this tractor wasn't even a farm vehicle, it was based on a building site in the locale but that was lost on the twitter feirmeoirí

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

The gas thing is from my reading of the comments this tractor wasn't even a farm vehicle, it was based on a building site in the locale but that was lost on the twitter feirmeoirí

Ah cmon, you can't let facts get in the way of a good outrage!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Just saw this on twitter (supposedly yesterday despite the date in the tweet)...
    https://twitter.com/hevehan/status/1306162418800889856

Just saw this on twitter (supposedly yesterday despite the date in the tweet)...

Jesus would love to know the speeds. That road had a bus lane, cycle lane and a strip to protect people stepping off the path and still can't feel safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Jesus would love to know the speeds. That road had a bus lane, cycle lane and a strip to protect people stepping off the path and still can't feel safe

Im not gonna lie - I can't honestly say I have never used a bus lane when I shouldn't have when driving.. but that is reckless - undertaking at that speed without the presence of the cyclist is madness alone, never mind with someone on a bike there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

What occurs to me here is how helmet cams tend to make things appear slower. With that in mind, wtf speed was he doing??

crisco10 wrote: »
    What occurs to me here is how helmet cams tend to make things appear slower. With that in mind, wtf speed was he doing??

I had to watch again to be sure it wasn't a detective car or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could have been a miscreant fleeing the rozzers.
    i once saw a fairly full on crash which happened during a car chase. was very lucky that there was no-one injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

That cycle lane is madness. I was nearly knocked off years ago on the equally bad other side of the road, by someone driving exactly like that.

I take the lane there now, or deviate through the park (it’s not my commute; I tend to meander out that way on a weekend). Not sure that a**hole would even have seen someone taking the lane at the speed he was going!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've a fair bit of tolerance for close passes. Having spent many years commuting across Dublin City from Terenure to Swords, and even more years cycling up and down the N81 with all the HGVs that road has to offer, I've experienced many close passes from all types of vehicles. Some have been scary, most have been annoying. Maybe I'm too tolerant but I've never felt the need to report any incident via Traffic Watch.

Until yesterday.

I was travelling south on East Wall Road towards the Tom Clarke (East Link) Bridge. Yes, there's a cycle track but the surface is crap and strewn with glass, flint, stones, etc so I stuck to the road as I've done many times before.

An articulated truck drawing a container on a flatbed trailer, passed me with less than 20cm to spare. I'm not easily frightened but this really scared the crap out of me. I froze, stopped pedaling, held a straight line, uttered "fcuking hell" in a worried tone and waited for it to clear my elbow which, thankfully, it did without incident. The truck stopped at the roundabout 50m later. WTF?

I contemplated following the truck to the toll plaza and confronting the driver but decided to leave it. However, unlike most other close passes this one really bothered me so I left it to sleep on it. I woke up this morning and it was still bothering me so I called Traffic Watch for the first time. I got a call back this evening and the Garda seemed sound. He'll get back to me next week.

Breezer wrote: »
    That cycle lane is madness. I was nearly knocked off years ago on the equally bad other side of the road, by someone driving exactly like that.

I take the lane there now, or deviate through the park (it’s not my commute; I tend to meander out that way on a weekend). Not sure that a**hole would even have seen someone taking the lane at the speed he was going!

It’s supposedly a QBC. Why it hasn’t got some form of CCTV monitoring is daft.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I live just around the corner. Lots of people cycle and stroll along that road. We bring our children down there in the cargo bike regularly.

5uspect wrote: »
    I live just around the corner. Lots of people cycle and stroll along that road. We bring our children down there in the cargo bike regularly.

My god I don't even want to imagine yee meeting that on the cargo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Aegir wrote: »
    It’s supposedly a QBC. Why it hasn’t got some form of CCTV monitoring is daft.

I’d hate to see the quality of the bus that fits in that corridor! The bus lane, without the cycle lane bit, is about a metre wide at some points. They’ve actually altered the “Lána Bus” markings to make them fit. It’s like they’ve been skewed in Microsoft Paint or something.

Does any QBC have CCTV monitoring?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Got practically forced off the road by an oncoming Landcruiser on the way home from work this afternoon, they were swerving around the "pedestrian area, no cars" sign blocking their lane and decided they were more entitled to the side of the road I was on than I was. Didn't realise they weren't turning right until the last second and I kind of just automatically moved of the way but I got progresively more annoyed until I got home. It's widely known that the marina in Cork is closed to traffic and they thought nothing of forcing a more vulnerable road user out of the way so they wouldn't have to slow down.

Should I ring Traffic Watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

very aggressive in my opinion, he definately should have slowed and waited till you passed. Not a great feeling having 4000kg coming at you at 60kmh. I'd report him @righttobikeit is on twitter and from cork , he'll advise you on how best to go about it. I assume having the licence number is key as well as the video above. good luck

TheChizler wrote: »
    Got practically forced off the road by an oncoming Landcruiser on the way home from work this afternoon, they were swerving around the "pedestrian area, no cars" sign blocking their lane and decided they were more entitled to the side of the road I was on than I was. Didn't realise they weren't turning right until the last second and I kind of just automatically moved of the way but I got progresively more annoyed until I got home. It's widely known that the marina in Cork is closed to traffic and they thought nothing of forcing a more vulnerable road user out of the way so they wouldn't have to slow down.

Was he even allowed drive down that road?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was he even allowed drive down that road?

There's local access to a rowing club so I guess he could claim he was going there. He certainly wasn't allowed drive through me to get there...

There's local access to a rowing club so I guess he could claim he was going there. He certainly wasn't allowed drive through me to get there...

Typical my road everyone else need to get out of my way crap. I bet even if there was no road space to your left he would have done it anyway

I’d hate to see the quality of the bus that fits in that corridor! The bus lane, without the cycle lane bit, is about a metre wide at some points. They’ve actually altered the “Lána Bus” markings to make them fit. It’s like they’ve been skewed in Microsoft Paint or something.

it is a good example of the council claiming to have built a cycle lane, when in fact all they have done is paint a line down the road.
    Does any QBC have CCTV monitoring?

not that I am aware of. That one would be a good place to start as it is rare to drive or cycle along there at busy times and not see people skipping up the bus lane.

There's probably something stopping it being done like "I have my rights" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

very aggressive in my opinion, he definately should have slowed and waited till you passed. Not a great feeling having 4000kg coming at you at 60kmh. I'd report him @righttobikeit is on twitter and from cork , he'll advise you on how best to go about it. I assume having the licence number is key as well as the video above. good luck

@righttobikeit seems to have better responses from Cork gardai than I've got from Dublin gardai. Maybe a different attitude down there....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That old nugget of the roundabout at the Castleknock end of Chesterfield Avenue again this morning, coming from Farmleigh direction and taking the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Avenue. 06:30 in the morning with little traffic but a sleepy woman in a <snip> grey BMW decides to ignore the strong front light (was flashed earlier by an oncoming driver that took umbrage with it) and continue into the roundabout without yielding. I let a roar and she braked hard stopping the car halfway through and I continue on noting the reg. No wave of an apology or any acknowledgment, just totally transfixed on the car in front and never looked.

Still the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays and this supposed to be a recreational park. The hard should in the park as the cycle lane is a great improvement but they need to replace the unsightly cones with a permanent solution. Going through the park yesterday evening and a car clipped one of the cones in the cycle lanes sending it a good 0.5m inwards, if a cyclists was inline they’d have been felled.

Same roundabout again this morning, 04 Donegal modified car (reg, exhaust etc) enters the roundabout without yielding but finally stops with the front end well onto the roundabout. I continue without taking much more notice until 20 mins later see the same car to my left sitting at O’Connell bridge (left turn only) trying to gun it straight onto Eden Quay. Straight they go followed by breaking a red light at Butt Bridge before being caught at the next red light just after Custom House. I note also the NCTS site shows their NCT was due back in Apr and from experience with my own car site has all Covid extensions included but at least they have a test scheduled. Could I be bothered reporting to TrafficWatch tough (maybe if they had an online facility) but where’s all the extra police presence on the streets of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭hesker

I had a scary encounter at that very spot a couple of years ago. Travelling in same direction as you and a 4x4 waiting to turn right across me at the junction. Only she didn’t wait and started creeping across as I approached until I had to swerve left to avoid being hit. Bloody scary.

Up to you if you want to report. Definite impatience there from the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I had to watch again to be sure it wasn't a detective car or something

You won’t ever find a cop car being driven like that without lights and sirens on.

• Advertisement

You won’t ever find a cop car being driven like that without lights and sirens on.

That's why I watched again to see if I had just missed the lights

Advertisement