Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I was sideswiped this morning, not a close pass, actual contact with my hand/arm/shoulder by a pass just before a roundabout. Haven't looked at the footage, but will log this one with traffic watch shortly. I'm furious, the guy just drove through me. I did stay upright, and wasn't injured really but my shoulder was sore just after. I'm gobsmacked frankly.

I rewatched and my blood is boiling. Just off the phone with the extremely helpful traffic watch. Call logged there, but she suggested I go straight to the station given contact was made, and this was more likely a hit and run rather than a dangerous overtake. One way or another I should have contact from Gardai soon.

I'd like to show the video, but for now I'll sit on it before posting it online.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

...and another hit & run reported (thanksfully yours wasn't as serious Alanstrainor) - looks like the car had a mind of its own and left the scene according to the gardai :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1300693763304689664

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Self driving cars on our streets already, wow.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Im yet to go for a cycle and not have a near miss. Im not doing big distance - today was a little over 50km and that's pretty normal, i am yet to cycle 100km this year.

Todays incidents were a double decker bus deciding we should share the bike lane and taking over half of it as is was in it - Dedicated bike lane not a shared one. (I was in yellow jacket, lights front and back)
    Second one was a car zipping by on a country road going within 10 inches of me. Plenty of room on the other side of the road, no car coming against them

Last time I was out a car pulled out of a driveway and I got me some bumper to the leg, managed to stay upright but only just.

Out of interest is my experience normal? Does every regular cyclist have an average of one 'near miss' per spin? Or should I change my routes / behaviour / approach - not than I'm sure it really possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,667 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Im yet to go for a cycle and not have a near miss. Im not doing big distance - today was a little over 50km and that's pretty normal, i am yet to cycle 100km this year.

Todays incidents were a double decker bus deciding we should share the bike lane and taking over half of it as is was in it - Dedicated bike lane not a shared one. (I was in yellow jacket, lights front and back)
    Second one was a car zipping by on a country road going within 10 inches of me. Plenty of room on the other side of the road, no car coming against them

Last time I was out a car pulled out of a driveway and I got me some bumper to the leg, managed to stay upright but only just.

Out of interest is my experience normal? Does every regular cyclist have an average of one 'near miss' per spin? Or should I change my routes / behaviour / approach - not than I'm sure it really possible!

I have a 10 min commute each way 5 days a week and one 50km spin and probably have 1 or 2 dodgy overtakes a week and have rarely been in a collision in 10 yrs and I'm not one to back down in traffic

So far this week my only issue was a taxi driver pulled parallel to me in a bike space at traffic lights so I moved up a bit and he followed me and every time I moved up he followed until we were both right at the pedestrian crossing line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭tnegun

Got out for a spin a lunch today left hook so I followed to remonstrate with the driver as they were on the phone too! https://streamable.com/mlnii7 not smart but was in the heat of the moment etc.

Then met what must be some relation of that driver further down the road in his tractor he had a phone or something in his hand too and saw me late couldn't stop and barely gave me room https://streamable.com/0sjm3t

• Registered Users Posts: 8,501 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I have a 10 min commute each way 5 days a week and one 50km spin and probably have 1 or 2 dodgy overtakes a week and have rarely been in a collision in 10 yrs and I'm not one to back down in traffic

So far this week my only issue was a taxi driver pulled parallel to me in a bike space at traffic lights so I moved up a bit and he followed me and every time I moved up he followed until we were both right at the pedestrian crossing line

I suppose it’s hardly a surprise, I drive everyday on a pretty short commute to work and it’s rare not to see a driver doing something dangerous / unnecessary / impatient etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭micar

tnegun wrote: »
    Got out for a spin a lunch today left hook so I followed to remonstrate with the driver as they were on the phone too! https://streamable.com/mlnii7 not smart but was in the heat of the moment etc.

Then met what must be some relation of that driver further down the road in his tractor he had a phone or something in his hand too and saw me late couldn't stop and barely gave me room https://streamable.com/0sjm3t

With the first clip.....you weren't actually turning left but had to due car cutting across your path?

I suppose it’s hardly a surprise, I drive everyday on a pretty short commute to work and it’s rare not to see a driver doing something dangerous / unnecessary / impatient etc etc

The way he was purposely playing chicken with me was pathetic. I got out ahead when the lights went green and normally would have no problems keeping left and letting someone past but after that I kept my lane as I was going right at the next set of turns

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you catch the driver?

• Advertisement

micar wrote: »
    With the first clip.....you weren't actually turning left but had to due car cutting across your path?

I was going to continue straight and pulled left when he pulled in and decided to follow.

Did you catch the driver?

No they floored it after that I hadn't a hope of catching him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

stupid passes seem to be getting more common recently; in each of my last two cycles, i've had to do the 'snap the arm out with open hand facing back' as a 'do not overtake' gesture, and both times the brain dead asshole behind the wheel gunned it.
    today, northbound on the R130 towards garristown, a car pulled out to overtake a cyclist, heading towards me, just as the guy behind me pulled out to overtake me, hence the gesture. but he floored it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The first one is disgraceful.

The second one, whilst scary to see a big vehicle on the road, there are a limited amount of places the tractor can go on that road. It looks like you were surprised to see each other. Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

One skim today on the Malahide road by a guy with his kids in the car to get 100yds to the next tailback. Started shouting that I was all over the road......

Also 3 dangerous overtakes into oncoming traffic. Oncoming cars beeping / having to slow down etc. I wouldn't mind, i wasnt exactly hanging around.

eeeee wrote: »
    The first one is disgraceful.

The second one, whilst scary to see a big vehicle on the road, there are a limited amount of places the tractor can go on that road. It looks like you were surprised to see each other. Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.

I hear you on the no where to go and probably more absent minded than malicious but he was way too fast around that bend and I was a bit hyped after the left hook a few mins earlier :o

Tis that tractor time of year. Had a pair of young bucks coming towards me the other evening pulling a trailer of bales with a phone to the ear of the driver. Nowhere near as narrow as that video as it was a main rd but still boiled my piss as the potential for carnage had they to as much as swerve or break hard with that load :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

eeeee wrote: »
    Maybe the tractor should have been going slower to be able to cope with the unexpected, but I don't think there was anything malicious in it.
    I hear you on the no where to go and probably more absent minded than malicious but he was way too fast around that bend and I was a bit hyped after the left hook a few mins earlier :o

Its very rare that dangerous driving is malicious but he was way too fast, and I'd sooner someone explained to him the reasons rather than him find out the hard way. The main issue with modern tractors is that people are still taught to drive them like they are old tractors. My 135 would top out at 30kmph on a downhill. Modern tractors can top out at north of 60kmph without issue, many alot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

He was in such a hurry to get around you that he actually ended up on the wrong side of the road!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Down at the luas stop at Belgard.

Cyclists in the cycle lane goes thru red light, car with green light almost hits him. Not sure how they didnt.
    Son(7) says car is wrong as cyclists allow to break red lights in cycle lane.

Then 5 mins later, the car breaks red light. Son was right on that one.

People must be color blind these days

I was on that same road yesterday morning. Plenty of pedestrians out walking. Stupid for any driver to be doing that speed with blind bends, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭BobbyMalone

stupid passes seem to be getting more common recently

Cars are even beeping and getting annoyed at other motorists who *aren't* dangerously cutting left on cyclists going straight. Seeing this more and more on the roads.

Tis that tractor time of year. Had a pair of young bucks coming towards me the other evening pulling a trailer of bales with a phone to the ear of the driver. Nowhere near as narrow as that video as it was a main rd but still boiled my piss as the potential for carnage had they to as much as swerve or break hard with that load :mad:

What ever happened to having to stop for a herd of cows or sheep coming up the road? Do they not move livestock round like that anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Serious bit of agro out there this morning. One skillful taxi driver was able to judge the width of my elbows to the mm in Ballybough, very impressive.

Nothing like a gloomy/rainy start to the day to get people's rage levels up.

Mac-Chops wrote: »
    Serious bit of agro out there this morning. One skillful taxi driver was able to judge the width of my elbows to the mm in Ballybough, very impressive.

I never understood why people driving inside a heated box get more agitated and rush around more when it's wet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,935 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Probably because the traffic is usually cack when it's raining so it takes them twice as long to get anywhere.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

...and another hit & run reported (thanksfully yours wasn't as serious Alanstrainor) - looks like the car had a mind of its own and left the scene according to the gardai :rolleyes:
    https://twitter.com/IrishCycle/status/1300693763304689664
    Apparently the victim, Thiago Cortes, has died in hospital. :(

Allegedly, the car, a 2005 Focus, was bought by some teenagers and not registered. Four people were seen running from the car when it was left abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Apparently the victim, Thiago Cortes, has died in hospital. :(

Allegedly, the car, a 2005 Focus, was bought by some teenagers and not registered. Four people were seen running from the car when it was left abandoned.

I was thinking about this the other day when seeing all the Garda Traffic twitter posts where the driver is usually already disqualified. Is it time for a law where you can't purchase a vehicle unless you provide evidence of a valid licence? perhaps some sort of website that sellers can query also and submit the buyers details? also add a sanction for a seller that sells a vehicle to an unlicenced or disqualified driver.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Is it time for a law where you can't purchase a vehicle unless you provide evidence of a valid licence?
    if it was a private sale, and the buyers ignored the law anyway, there's no way of enforcing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

if it was a private sale, and the buyers ignored the law anyway, there's no way of enforcing this.

I'd be thinking some kind of law where if the seller doesn't verify the buyers licence then they get a large fine if caught, even in a private sale. So if a DQ driver was stopped and found to have bought a car from a seller unverified then the seller is in trouble too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Mac-Chops wrote: »

Ah that's those professional drivers for you. They're great lads really.

Advertisement