Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    He doubles down. Says he seen an obstacle for a cyclist coming up to a speed bump. Now he maybe right that the cyclist should have checked their side but on the same note as a motorist, one of the first things I was taught was to assume that other road users might move out of the way of an obstruction so be prepared. So he seen what was coming and then gets annoyed that the other person done exactly what he expected them to do.

It's hard to be sure by his descriptions but it's sounds like he is blaming cyclists for moving around within their lane not switching lanes which is a very different thing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

breezy1985 wrote: »
    It's hard to be sure by his descriptions but it's sounds like he is blaming cyclists for moving around within their lane not switching lanes which is a very different thing

And I can see the annoyance of motors or bikes switching lanes without indicating but when I see a car to my left or a bike, and there is an obstruction ahead, my mind does the normal thing of assuming, indicator or not, they may move out so I prepare for it in advance. I never think to myself, that i saved their life, I don't even think about it at all bar a fleeting moment of, they should have indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,665 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

CramCycle wrote: »
    And I can see the annoyance of motors or bikes switching lanes without indicating but when I see a car to my left or a bike, and there is an obstruction ahead, my mind does the normal thing of assuming, indicator or not, they may move out so I prepare for it in advance. I never think to myself, that i saved their life, I don't even think about it at all bar a fleeting moment of, they should have indicated.

Same. But I don't think he is talking about changing lanes just bikes moving within the lane they currently occupy. I still recommend cyclists look back but there is no reason to indicate

Same. But I don't think he is talking about changing lanes just bikes moving within the lane they currently occupy. I still recommend cyclists look back but there is no reason to indicate

Reminds me of a time I was sitting in the right hand side of a lane at a red light. The light went green and I pushed off and went round the corner. Now I had indicated before I moved over but the car behind had arrived after this. I was sitting on the right hand side of the lane. He went ballistic, pulled in around the corner after a dangerous overtake to lambast me for not indicating. He mounted the pavement and cut across me all in the same maneuvre. I WAS ON THE FUPPING RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE LANE, he was sitting behind me at the lights for 30 seconds, WHAT IS FUPPIN WRONG WITH PEOPLE. Where did he think I was going, surely my position was a fair indication if he missed the hand signals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure wasn't it buffalo from this parish who was cut up by a motorist (both of them going straight through a junction) because the motorist 'didn't know' buffalo's intention because he didn't indicate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I sometimes indicate around some in-lane obstacles depending on the traffic behind me. Not a full lámh amach indicate signal, more like a point to where I'm moving to in the lane.

After a few group rides I've done the hole/shore circular signal out of habit for cars too, I'm sure they were delighted/confused :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

So in short, they have seen the footage and have asked if I can provide a physical copy. A fast start, but I feel things are starting to drag now. I wonder how long this will take.

It's a slow process. I had an incident in February I think it was, Gardai did follow it up, and then I thought nothing was ever going to come of it. I got a call in July and it was from the Gardai telling me what charge they're taking him to court on after speaking to the driver. So just waiting for it to come up in court now. I put a lot of the delay down to Covid-19 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I'm happy to hear of people actually pressing ahead with charges against these idiots that recklessly endanger other peoples lives so freely.

Too often I think people are getting fobbed off with the "had a word with the driver and he apologized" stuff from gardai and while it may give a warm fluffy feeling I don't think it has much of an effect at all in the grander scheme of things.

A cultural shift is needed and only thing I think that will bring it about is when these idiots start hearing more and more from their friends in work or their mates down the pub how they got slapped with a fine and a couple of points after going to close to a cyclist.

Does stuff like having a word with the driver get logged in the system? As in if they've been spoken to on a number of occasions or reports made about them their record would maybe prompt a more serious look at them in the event of a future complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Does stuff like having a word with the driver get logged in the system? As in if they've been spoken to on a number of occasions or reports made about them their record would maybe prompt a more serious look at them in the event of a future complaint?

A caution should indeed be logged on Pulse against the driver.

Not my video, but it's got to be the nearest of near misses - some NSFW language (well justified)

https://twitter.com/CarHelmets/status/1310670228557193218?s=20

• Advertisement

Jesus, thats the day you want to be riding with a lump of coal up your bum. The Diamond you'd poop would be worth it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Steoller

I sometimes indicate around some in-lane obstacles depending on the traffic behind me. Not a full lámh amach indicate signal, more like a point to where I'm moving to in the lane.

After a few group rides I've done the hole/shore circular signal out of habit for cars too, I'm sure they were delighted/confused :o

Just to show you can't win, I have gotten abuse for indicating. Guy sitting on the side road thought I was pointing at him as I turned, and came after me to have a word.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently a woman was taken to hospital this morning after colliding with a left turning bus...

https://twitter.com/clicky_here/status/1310839101285896192

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Think it was some time yesterday when that happened.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Steoller wrote: »
    Just to show you can't win, I have gotten abuse for indicating. Guy sitting on the side road thought I was pointing at him as I turned, and came after me to have a word.

Sorry but this made me laugh! They’re ****ing mad these people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Apparently a woman was taken to hospital this morning after colliding with a left turning bus...

https://twitter.com/clicky_here/status/1310839101285896192

Those damn autonomous left-turning buses again!

Sorry but this made me laugh! They’re ****ing mad these people!!

Sitting close to a regular in Toners many years ago who had a lazy eye. He was watching golf or something on the telly but another customer at a table, unbeknownst to anyone else thought he was being stared out of it. The barman copped the guy getting irate but by the time he got round the counter the guy had darted across the room to deck the guy sitting quietly watching TV. There was pandemonium for a few minutes as he was restrained. He got kicked out and it was only after the fact we figured out what had happened. Some people are bizarre beyond belief.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I've also had this. Indicating out due to a pedestrian on the road, queue someone leaning on their horn behind me (they were well behind when I moved). I was flipped off by the elderly lady in the passenger seat as they eventually passed. Met them shortly after at Howth summit and confronted the driver. Apparently I'm only allowed to indicate when turning off the road. I did manage to convince him that this was absurd and we left on good terms. But that's what you deal with out there...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some people don't like hand signals even if they're not directed at them.

One time a cyclist ahead of me on a group ride gave the "keep in" signal as there was a car coming. The driver mistook that as a "slow down" signal for her. The sneer on her face could've cracked her windscreen, these bloody cyclists telling her what to do on a Saturday morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

sure wasn't it buffalo from this parish who was cut up by a motorist (both of them going straight through a junction) because the motorist 'didn't know' buffalo's intention because he didn't indicate?

Turns out it wasn't me... https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107612435&postcount=5217
    10 years of cycling then 2 in the space of a month in more or less the same place but at least this one was at a slow speed. Cycling up the slip road at junction 4 N4 westbound, in the cycle lane. Just going past the left turn filter lane to stop at the lights when a car came up outside me. Just as it got level the indicator came on and they decided to turn left, on top of me. The left turn filter was already full of cars so this driver had to stop, straddling the cycle lane (and nearly straddling me too - had I not spotted what they were at and swerved).

So anyway I counted to 10 and went up to the drivers window and asked politely and calmly (unusual for me but I was in shock and assumed something strange must have happened to the driver that they decided to (try to) drive into me, like me turning invisible or something. Anyway a bizarre conversation ensued

Me - "Hi, did you not see me there?"
    Driver - "Yes I did"
    Me - "huh? You saw me but decided to try to drive over me?"
    Driver - "You didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going"
    Me - "What??? I didn't indicate because I was travelling straight along the road and not turning off"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate that so I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "So you decided to drive on top of me then"
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I..."
    Me - "Let me get this straight, you didn't see me indicate so you decided to just drive into me?"
    Driver - "But I didn't know where you were going"
    Me - "Right. If you were driving straight through the lights ahead rather than turning here would you have indicated in some way?
    Driver - "No..."
    Me - "So why would you expect me to do something different?
    Driver - "But you didn't indicate so I didn't know which way you were going..."
    Me - "Jesús, you really need to cop yourself on"

I probably should have taken their reg number and reported them, but, to be honest I was (and still am) in complete shock at the attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,550 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

were you commuting on the N4 at some point? maybe that's why i thought it was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

were you commuting on the N4 at some point? maybe that's why i thought it was you.

I tried it a couple of times when I moved out that direction, but I much preferred the Strawberry Beds despite the ramps.

Don't worry about it, though you have revealed that you think about me all the time. I'm touched, really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭suffering golfer

There's a Twitter post making the rounds of a car's dash cam about a cyclist faking a hit by a car. Looks ridiculous/bad. The Twitter handle where the video clip is @electionlit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,512 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Not a near miss, but I passed an ambulance attending to a cyclist in the Phoenix Park earlier and it did not feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

There's a Twitter post making the rounds of a car's dash cam about a cyclist faking a hit by a car. Looks ridiculous/bad. The Twitter handle where the video clip is @electionlit

It's pretty ridiculous. The taxi was going the wrong way up a one way street, so I presume the lad on the bike was trying to capitalise on that. Pair of eejits.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's an asshole kid trying to scam a taxi driver, he could have got himself a few slaps and his phone smashed up when he took a photo of the insurance disk in order to try claim from it had he tried it on the wrong person. And probably deservedly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

What is it about Fridays?:confused:

This morning on the Feltrim Road:

Coming home on the Malahide road

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ferris wrote: »
    What is it about Fridays?:confused:

This morning on the Feltrim Road:

The truck was too close for comfort.

You should set the date on your camera correctly in case you ever need it for legal reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,537 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

If I had been 2 or 3 seconds earlier, or any of the 3 cyclists behind me had been 5 seconds earlier, this could have been nasty. She wasn't looking for bike traffic at all, as she moved out over half the very busy bike lane. She was actually looking for her takeaway coffee cup.

She gave me the 'your majesty' gesture when she pulled back, like I was the one with the problem.

https://streamable.com/nwe6ix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

She was driving without her seatbelt either :(

Advertisement