Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near Misses Volume 2 (So close you can feel it)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah that's those professional drivers for you. They're great lads really.

Thats how you go from amateur to pro - inch perfect knowledge of your vehicle!

(yes I know, not generalising all taxi/bus drivers etc most are grand, few ars3holes same with any transport etc etc etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

if it was a private sale, and the buyers ignored the law anyway, there's no way of enforcing this.

How about the seller remaining legally responsible for the vehicle until change of ownership is complete and change of ownership being contingent on government issued photo ID ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

How about the seller remaining legally responsible for the vehicle until change of ownership is complete and change of ownership being contingent on government issued photo ID ?

How about the Gardai enforce the laws that currently exist and ensure people driving have a licence without adding another layer of Bureaucratic paperwork for every other person in the country who doesn’t drive illegally and kill a cyclist. It’s not as if enough laws don’t exist that have been broken here, adding another one isn’t going to stop this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,907 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

struggling up herbertstown/harbourstown/herbestown this evening, i heard a car engine behind me. narrow road, but wide enough for a car and a bike, so i pulled in to the side of the road without slowing down (i was going slow enough anyway!) and a chap driving a vehicle recovery truck roared past doing, at a guess, close to sixty, with not much more than a foot to spare. was more of a flash of anger than fright he gave me, i briefly turned the air blue in a loud fashion. not that he heard me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Ive had more close passes in the last 6 weeks than all my years cycling in this country. I hadnt been reporting any, as I have been busy with other things, but Tuesday I had 3 in 2.5 hours, so that was it, I went through my footage from tha last week and have reported 3, one is a commercial arctic, so I got the number from the side of their truck. He started questioning why it took me so long and that he'd have to see the footage etc. So I told him if i didnt have footage, does that mean he'd do nothing, he said yes. So I saw red, Im taking his all the way to the court if I can, we need to do what we can about this, it's really out of hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Ive had more close passes in the last 6 weeks than all my years cycling in this country. I hadnt been reporting any, as I have been busy with other things, but Tuesday I had 3 in 2.5 hours, so that was it, I went through my footage from tha last week and have reported 3, one is a commercial arctic, so I got the number from the side of their truck. He started questioning why it took me so long and that he'd have to see the footage etc. So I told him if i didnt have footage, does that mean he'd do nothing, he said yes. So I saw red, Im taking his all the way to the court if I can, we need to do what we can about this, it's really out of hand.

Who's 'he'? Driver? Employer? Gardai?

Keep on reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I had another person drive really close to me yesterday, and this one looks to me to have been intentional and wilful.

There was a small amount of traffic because of a short stretch of roadworks on a straight two lane no shoulder road.
    I moved up on the inside of cars to behind a bus that was first in line, when he moved I stayed behind the bus. We were past the roadworks quickly and two cars went past Fine With nothing on-coming, the third came within inches of me again no oncoming car, when I waved in objection I got a middle finger out the back window. Black 11-D reg car with a N plate. It’s clear to me that they were attempting to get a reaction / intimidate me.

He’s lucky because I can’t fully remember his reg, I would have reported it, and if there was another bit of traffic I would have caught up with him.

Sad to say now that I’m seriously considering investing in a camera because this stuff is happening every time I go for a cycle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

a chap driving a vehicle recovery truck roared past doing, at a guess, close to sixty, with not much more than a foot to spare. was more of a flash of anger than fright he gave me, i briefly turned the air blue in a loud fashion. not that he heard me.

Seen one almost flip on the N11 as he broke the red well after it changed, must have taken the corner at north of 60 and closer to 80 with a sh1tbox on the back. I didn't even think it could gt to that speed with a vehicle on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

That old nugget of the roundabout at the Castleknock end of Chesterfield Avenue again this morning, coming from Farmleigh direction and taking the 3rd exit onto Chesterfield Avenue. 06:30 in the morning with little traffic but a sleepy woman in a <snip> grey BMW decides to ignore the strong front light (was flashed earlier by an oncoming driver that took umbrage with it) and continue into the roundabout without yielding. I let a roar and she braked hard stopping the car halfway through and I continue on noting the reg. No wave of an apology or any acknowledgment, just totally transfixed on the car in front and never looked.

Still the most dangerous section of my commute which includes the full length of the quays and this supposed to be a recreational park. The hard should in the park as the cycle lane is a great improvement but they need to replace the unsightly cones with a permanent solution. Going through the park yesterday evening and a car clipped one of the cones in the cycle lanes sending it a good 0.5m inwards, if a cyclists was inline they’d have been felled.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,238 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Do we actually know what happened here except for the toe rags in the car.
    Did the car break the lights as well?

Do we actually know what happened here except for the toe rags in the car.
    Did the car break the lights as well?
    In the Thiago incident?
    Nothing has been disclosed to my knowledge apart from images of the car. The damage to the car from the impact would indicate that the car was travelling at a considerable speed (in my view).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭thebourke

i have been cycling in dublin for a long time but my biggest fear on the roads is the motorists!

kenmm wrote: »
    Ouch, hopefully no lasting injuries..

I bet that's at the crossing of n strand road/ Amiens st- used the new path a couple of times, but people fly through that crossing.

After mistakenly calling this one out the other week, I got a bit of a heart in mouth moment. Waited for green man, bus was in city bound bus lane to my right (waiting at red) and as I'm approaching the middle of crossing the road a Merc is going at it up the driving lane (hidden by the bus, but luckily was looking as I crossed)

They jammed on and stopped ok, full apologies etc, no harm done, but one can only imagine it was an amber gamble (IE red) on the lights at the start of the bridge (Ossary road?).

I don't know if the lights are connected, but it seems a risky spot, heads up for anyone using it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,953 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was waiting to cross at the Seville Place end on Wednesday in order to head on to the new stretch of greenway. (Where the Dublin Commuter Coalition guy got ran over). There were two Gardaí in full hi-viz stationed at the junction of Seville Place and Guild Street. They were literally screaming "wtf are you doing, the light is red you idiots" at the cars driving through the red light there without a care in the world.

Stark wrote: »
    I was waiting to cross at the Seville Place end on Wednesday in order to head on to the new stretch of greenway. (Where the Dublin Commuter Coalition guy got ran over). There were two Gardaí in full hi-viz stationed at the junction of Seville Place and Guild Street. They were literally screaming "wtf are you doing, the light is red you idiots" at the cars driving through the red light there without a care in the world.
    Police have been seen all over this area (and I mean over the last few weeks, not since that poor Brazilian lad), mostly not giving a fu(k.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Watching the cars and not the road

5uspect wrote: »
    One big disadvantage to parking on the right hand side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Not defending the driver at all, but I can see how it happens. Car pillars can easily block the view of a cyclist when they're a much smaller object than a moving vehicle. Need to be doubly sure when you look over your shoulder for oncoming traffic.

Stark wrote: »

If only there was some other possible action the Gardai could take to deal with law breakers on the road...

• Advertisement

It happened because he gunned it from stationary, and never looked again. It's not the pillars fault, he should have pulled out a bit, slowed, re looked to make sure and then, in this case, stop as he would have seen the cyclist. I can see how it happens but that is because of poor driving technique, nothing else.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

CramCycle wrote: »
    It happened because he gunned it from stationary, and never looked again. It's not the pillars fault, he should have pulled out a bit, slowed, re looked to make sure and then, in this case, stop as he would have seen the cyclist. I can see how it happens but that is because of poor driving technique, nothing else.

She shot out because she thought there was a gap. She was only watching the oncoming car who let her out and the car in front of me.

She shot out because she thought there was a gap. She was only watching the oncoming car who let her out and the car in front of me.

Pretty much my point, we really train drivers quite poorly in this country.

Pretty much my point, we really train drivers quite poorly in this country.

We barely train drivers.
    When 12 hours of lessons was introduced there was almost a sense of outrage.

In many other countries, doing so little would be considered a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I didn't say it was the pillars fault. It may have been a contributing factor though.

Wasn't defending the driver, merely stating that I understand how someone can make the error of judgement. I'm sure there are plenty of "good" drivers who would have made the exact same mistake.

VonLuck wrote: »
    I didn't say it was the pillars fault. It may have been a contributing factor though.

Wasn't defending the driver, merely stating that I understand how someone can make the error of judgement. I'm sure there are plenty of "good" drivers who would have made the exact same mistake.

I got what you meant but its a symptom of poor driving, not a mitigating factor. Undoubtedly if a collision had happened, the driver would have used this reason, the judge would have said fair enough and that would have been it. Sadly, it just shows how acceptable poor driving is. I was taught his at a young age. Part of this was probably due to driving lots of different vehicles but it was always taught to me by my parents, school teachers, driving instructor, check, check, an then, just to be sure, check again.

I say this as someone who is not a good driver, lots of room for improvement. The only good you can hope for is that the driver might have learned to look again going forward but I suspect they just blamed the pillar and thinks there is nothing they could have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Trying out my new rear camera after one close pass too many. This was the on Merrion road today. The car didn't deviate or cross the line of the next lane when skimming me. I felt this one was dangerous at speed and I estimate no more than 1-2cms from my handlebars. The outer lane was also clear for them to move into.
    For context my rear tyre is 6cms wide and my handlebars are approx 32cms on either side of the tyre.

This one is going to traffic watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

You won't get far with that.

On the "bad" scale, it barely registers (sadly).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

One big disadvantage to parking on the right hand side of the road.
    VonLuck wrote: »
    Not defending the driver at all, but I can see how it happens. Car pillars can easily block the view of a cyclist when they're a much smaller object than a moving vehicle. Need to be doubly sure when you look over your shoulder for oncoming traffic.

In some states in the US it's an offence to park on the opposite side of the road. The video above certainly shows the reasoning for such a law.

• Advertisement

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Trying out my new rear camera after one close pass too many. This was the on Merrion road today. The car didn't deviate or cross the line of the next lane when skimming me. I felt this one was dangerous at speed and I estimate no more than 1-2cms from my handlebars. The outer lane was also clear for them to move into.
    For context my rear tyre is 6cms wide and my handlebars are approx 32cms on either side of the tyre.

This one is going to traffic watch.
    MojoMaker wrote: »
    You won't get far with that.

On the "bad" scale, it barely registers (sadly).

I've found that responses to close pass incidents is VERY dependent on the individual Garda, so give it a short. Video evidence makes it harder (though not impossible) for them to refuse to take action.

Advertisement