Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organised Raid by up to 100 Youths in Cork City Centr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

yeah i think multiculturalism has worked in societies or under regimes which featured a ruthless self confidence. a real "get with the program or ship out" mentality. Western Europe seems guilty of its own success and wracked with self doubt. We advise people to "learn to love themselves" before getting into a relationship, perhaps the same might apply here?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

What is the name of this planet? I was under the impression that we all live on Earth. Clearly I was wrong, and I've been living on a different planet my whole life.

Diversity is a great thing, monocultures don't occur in nature. Heck, humanity has always been culturally diverse, because people are natural explorers and traders, which brings diverse people together.

Ye multiculturalism is a great thing just have a look at this march Muslims had in Luton to protest the arrest of a woman whose husband had set off a bomb . Btw I'm not against immigration as long as they let in the right people. Hard working people that work , yes , freeloaders and criminals , surprisingly ... no

https://youtu.be/b2nlIfn8tNA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fairly unsettling how the story hasn't even been covered by RTE (NATIONAL BROADCASTER TM).
    I know the Dublin media don't really give a sh1te about Cork, but it's a very newsworthy story.

RTE have yet to highlight the fact that the drogheda feud is a traveller one , i would not hold my breath about the details of this little rampage being reported

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    RTE have yet to highlight the fact that the drogheda feud is a traveller one , i would not hold my breath about the details of this little rampage being reported

They only have an interest in reporting accurately on white scrotes from bad areas so they cant be accused of the now meaningless ‘R’ word

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

They only have an interest in reporting accurately on white scrotes from bad areas so they cant be accused of the now meaningless ‘R’ word

"accused " ?

RTE are themselves one of the main drivers of the new PC authoritarianism

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What is the name of this planet? I was under the impression that we all live on Earth. Clearly I was wrong, and I've been living on a different planet my whole life.

Diversity is a great thing, monocultures don't occur in nature. Heck, humanity has always been culturally diverse, because people are natural explorers and traders, which brings diverse people together.

Thanks for that Maggie Thatcher.

Lots of buzz words but no solution just double down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Danzy wrote: »

Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nope. Now it's an all too common belief, but you seem to believe in an inevitable progressive trajectory in human culture, but that's not how it works(you're also being eurocentric about it).

If you look at that list of "there was a time", with the general exception of men and women mixing as equals(though some tribal societies did and do) the rest have happened before and in a few places and guess what? It didn't last for very long. The "overall timeline of the human race" has consistently shown that multiculturalism in the current modern western sense didn't work and cultural differences have been and continue to be one of the main causes of human conflict.

Where multicultural societies did exist and work, they were always under extremely strong and more, self confident, even "right wing" cultural regimes. EG ancient Rome, China and the first few centuries of the Caliphate. Cultures that were open to new ideas and people, but in a limited and reactionary way if those ideas and people in any way threatened the main culture's ideology or power base. Modern European culture is anything but self confident. It's a near constant questioning of European values among many and most in power. Even typing "European values" as something to be valued, or god forbid worse, to be proud of and want to defend will get enough people twitching.

History has also shown time and time again that the culture that is most self confident and nearly always the more overtly militant is the culture that "wins" in the end. It's not the "ah we're not so sure" pacifist cultures holding hands singing Kumbaya.

There has been no similar time in history because of the current day phenomenons of social media, accessible travel and opportunities (work visas, education exchanges, tourism) etc.
    More and more, the larger portion of society has proven to be comfortable with a moulding and adoption of other practices based on their individual preferences. It's happening organically in many cases without having to wait for large scale immigration to bring it about.

Do you think the Irish Culture of 1916 and that of 2016 were the same? Of course not, and much of that change occurred as a result of adjustment by the Irish people themselves as opposed to being affected by incoming cultures.

The professed desire to preserve ones culture is false given the eagerness which members of the same group actively seek to move away from it in other areas. Cultural history of church participation? No longer the case. Cultural history of supporting local businesses? No longer the case. Cultural history of attending Irish events such as fair days? No longer the case.

The current circumstance where people stand to one side, point fingers at groups of immigrants and saying 'you are different, you are not like us' and then complaining that they will not adopt the Irish culture is in turn leading to isolation which is then used as an example as to why it cannot work.

You can't say multiculturalism doesn't work, just because you don't like this particular culture.

Also, European borders over the last 1,000 years.
    Largely conflict fuelled but no doubt each change was accompanied by cultural transitions and adoptions.

We can try to maintain segregation and wait for conflict to ensure cultural morphing happens, or we can recognize that integration and collaboration is ultimately better for society. It is no coincidence that the most stable period Europe has experienced has been under the cohesiveness of EU membership.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There has been no similar time in history because of the current day phenomenons of social media, accessible travel and opportunities (work visas, education exchanges, tourism) etc.
    Actually there have been a few. The coming of the railways in Europe for a start. Hell the aforementioned Rome, early Islamic empire and China another. There was quite a lot of movement within those empires. Just because we have Arsebook and take a holiday in Ibiza it's not nearly the radically brave new world you seem to think. Indeed social media and more accessible travel has been hijacked for many nefarious means too. All that has happened is that things tend to move more quickly nowadays.
    More and more, the larger portion of society has proven to be comfortable with a moulding and adoption of other practices based on their individual preferences. It's happening organically in many cases without having to wait for large scale immigration to bring it about.
    There's a huge difference between a load of Chinese folks listening to German speed metal and having a couple of hundred thousand Germans show up in China. It's not within an asses roar of being comparable. You seem to be oblivious to this difference.
    Do you think the Irish Culture of 1916 and that of 2016 were the same? Of course not, and much of that change occurred as a result of adjustment by the Irish people themselves as opposed to being affected by incoming cultures.
    Again you're talking about ideas and ideas as you even acknowledge born and bred within the same ethnic population and avoiding the issue of migrating large groups of people of a different ethnic and cultural population.
    You can't say multiculturalism doesn't work, just because you don't like this particular culture.
    Nope, I can say multiculturalism doesn't work simply because multicultural societies have more social ills because of this multiculturalism and this is demonstrable in every single one of them that exists and they're always the same issues too. Internal conflict goes up, criminality goes up, ghettoisation goes up, racism goes up and different groups tend to socially stratify in the same ways.
    Also, European borders over the last 1,000 years.
    Largely conflict fuelled but no doubt each change was accompanied by cultural transitions and adoptions.
    Almost all fuelled by conflict. I'd rather not have any "cultural transitions and adoptions" by such routes thanks very much.
    We can try to maintain segregation and wait for conflict to ensure it happens, or we can recognize that integration and collaboration is ultimately better for society.
    Wait for conflict to ensure it happens? Jesus :D Talk about nonsensical thinking, and I use the word advisedly. So you seem to be acknowledging that conflict drives this stuff, so you're grand with some naive notion that driving immigration, often of cultures and people that are quite happy with their own parent cultures and may think the indigenous culture is a bit daft into a parent culture is grand? So instead of waiting for someone to pull a gun on you, you want to offer up your mouth to suck on the barrel? Man you're the gift that keeps on giving. :D
    It is no coincidence that the most stable period Europe has experienced has been under the cohesiveness of EU membership.
    Now you've gone off the reservation. The EU in even close to its present form is around for what 30 years? Never mind many would argue some cracks are forming. And while there has been collaboration, integration not so much. Does Dublin have a "Little Madrid" full of Spaniards? Nope. Spaniards are still overwhelmingly Spaniards, Germans overwhelmingly German and so forth. Indeed Spaniards are a good example. A goodly chunk of them, the Basques, Catalans, the same "race", don't want to be ruled by Madrid and want more autonomy for them and their culture. They've been part of the same country for centuries and in the "cohesive EU" for a few decades and yet...

This smells an awful lot like the kind of "Star Trek Future" thinking; naive, nerdy, passive, thinking it'll always get better, woefully avoidant of considering human nature and how people and cultures actually work and have always worked. Even when the evidence is plain to see. They see "multiculturalism" as always a positive and claim that, yet seem to be tongue tied over the actual positives much beyond "diversity is good man" and have the blinkers set to kill towards the obvious negatives.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

^^^
    Rinse and repeat Wibbs.

If you can't see positives in shared experiences of different cultures, food, music, traditions etc then so be it. I suspect, though, that maybe, like others, you do enjoy these elements but would just rather not so many of the people around.

That's fine, but in a country with so many different cultural individuals working in healthcare for example, from a country which has culturally spread our wings around the world and as an individual who has lived in 3 countries and has friends of various cultures, I am glad to enjoy the interaction it brings.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

There's a huge difference between a load of Chinese folks listening to German speed metal and having a couple of hundred thousand Germans show up in China.
    On this point. I have noticed this integration stuff is very much foisted on local White European folks. It tends to be very much one way. If a couple of hundred thousand Germans showed up in China and were given residency, few of the multicultural standard bearers would say that they were now magically Chinese. Better yet if ten thousand Irish people showed up in Nigeria and got residency, few would claim that they were now magically Nigerians, yet ten thousand Nigerians show up in Ireland and get residency we're supposed to say they're now magically Irish and accept that as gospel. Another symptom of this White guilt nonsense IMH.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

^^^
    Whatiffery?

Have a good day. I'm off out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Lads up and down the country running around like they are representing the bloods or the crips. Gardai too afraid of being called racist to tackle it head on. Need to get back to the days a cracking heads with batons.
    And that goes for every scrote out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A pretty long read on a possible solution to this. The Greentown Study section explains.
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0306/945355-how-irish-crime-gangs-are-a-hidden-threat-to-child-well/

If you can't see positives in shared experiences of different cultures, food, music, traditions etc then so be it. I suspect, though, that maybe, like others, you do enjoy these elements but would just rather not so many of the people around.
    You got it in one. I quite simply don't want to live in and with the ballsology that has befallen every other European nation that has tried this multicultural stuff, or had it imposed on them because of past imperialism(which didn't work out too great either and for much the same reasons).
    That's fine, but in a country with so many different cultural individuals working in healthcare for example, from a country which has culturally spread our wings around the world and as an individual who has lived in 3 countries and has friends of various cultures, I am glad to enjoy the interaction it brings.
    I'm happy for you. Make no mistake I do admire your openness and naivete, but I prefer to look at the overall results.

And please don't come out with the blindingly simplistic and all too constant refrain of "the Irish went all over the world, so therefore...". 1) the vast majority of those people went to European colonies that were crying out for more bodies. 2) social welfare was nonexistent in such places. 3) they were hated in many quarters and still are in some. And they were White.

And again all we hear of how great "multiculturalism" is comes down to vague examples of food and music and traditions. All of which can be enjoyed or absorbed without 10,000 Albanians or Sudanese showing up in Dublin airport. Nada about the social problems. Not least for the migrants. That's the joke, they usually get the crap end of the deal in the end. The drug addled stabby Blacks in the UK are the great grandkids of those Caribbean folks who went to the UK and worked hard as nurses and bus drivers while facing NO Blacks or Irish signs in digs trying to build new lives.

^^^
    Whatiffery?
    Not really. Consider an real world example; the Boers/Dutch of South Africa. They're not exactly considered to be true Africans and they've been there since the 1600's.
    Have a good day. I'm off out.
    You too and in a while ditto. :)

is_that_so wrote: »
    A pretty long read on a possible solution to this. The Greentown Study section explains.
    https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2018/0306/945355-how-irish-crime-gangs-are-a-hidden-threat-to-child-well/
    It's an interesting tack alright I. Note this part:

Though not unique to Ireland, the Greentown network anatomy is distinctive. While accounts of gangs and networks in jurisdictions such as the United States and United Kingdom can be characterised by race, ethnicity, uniform (for example motorcycle gangs) and neighbourhood, the gel that holds the Greentown network together is family and kinship[Emphasis mine].

Now we're adding that into the mix and like other cultures have found to their cost that's a more intractable problem. Racism being an obvious reason. A feeling of not feeling quite like you belong, not quite feeling "local" no matter how long your family have been in the country. EG a White lad from the worst sink estate in Ireland can get out of there and walk down a leafy suburb and "pass" for a local and become fully "local", or their kids certainly can. Not nearly so easy for a Black lad from the same estate. It's no wonder to me at all, that some Black kids are aping their peers in London/LA or whatever. Same with some Muslim folks who look to their wider world. If I were in their shoes I would. It gives them a sense of belonging to a wider group who gets them and it gives a sense of self respect in a world where a load of people just see their skin colour. And it seems to be getting worse, not better. The aforementioned social media helps fuel it. Social workers and social programmes with the best will in the world will find it bloody hard to compete with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I was talking to my Niece about this last night, who's 19, and apparently this crowd are the laughing stock of the city amongst young people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Actually not so much. "Diversity" was more driven by conflict, war and colonisation, trade and exploration came along on the back of that. Even so, if you look at the genetics of the Old World, the vast majority of people's genes can be placed geographically "local" and where later genes are found it's nearly always down to a replacement of the original peoples.

Put it another even more obvious way, if humanity were so into "diversity" and mixing through the ages how come today at least 80,000 years after modern humans left East Africa as a fairly homogeneous group do we have such diverse phenotypes and genotypes in humans today? Surely we'd all look much more similar, especially in such a short space of time in evolutionary terms?

I honestly don't know where to start with this one...

Ok,
    There is evidence of trade going as far back as the Neolithic period, From various parts of the world.

There is a lot of real evidence to also suggest that Stonehenge is constructed from stone fom Ireland and Wales. Also Bronze being an alloy needed copper and tin. The largest deposits of Tin in the Europe continent is naturally found in Cornwall and some part of Turkey. There was a vast complex bronze age tade network, so complex that when it collapsed it lead to several large and powerful nations coming to an end. Only Egypt managed to survive.

Trade has been a big part of our history, due to the earth's resources not being uniformly spread across the planet. Yes, sometimes that trade comes through force, and sometimes it is skipped, but to say that trade only came about via colonisation is quite frankly laughably wrong.

As for human variation, this is due to the Earth having a wide range of biomes that have shaped not only our bodies, but also our culture. Living in say a hot desert makes drinking strong alcohol quite dangerous as it dehydrates and can cause one to wonder off and get lost.

https://youtu.be/bRcu-ysocX4
    Danzy wrote: »

Quite ironic calling someone from the North of England who grew up in the 80's by that milk thief's name. Also, what did you hope to gain by invoking that witches name?

Joey Adams wrote: »
    Japan: peaceful, prosperous, advanced.

Sweden: third world levels of rape, Islamic terror attacks, 50+ no go zones, grenade attacks are now seen as part and parcel of everyday life.

Really makes you think.

Ok, seems you have fallen for the lie there. Yes, in Sweden the rate of rape increased... However it was because they changed the way they report rape. If a husband raped his wife every day for a year that was previously 1 case of rape, under the new system it would be 365 cases. This was miss reported by a lot of those on the far right who have an agenda.

https://www.government.se/articles/2017/02/facts-about-migration-and-crime-in-sweden/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Japan: peaceful, prosperous, advanced.

Sweden: third world levels of rape, Islamic terror attacks, 50+ no go zones, grenade attacks are now seen as part and parcel of everyday life.

Really makes you think.
    meanwhile-in-japan_o_1074404.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's a near constant questioning of European values among many and most in power. Even typing "European values" as something to be valued, or god forbid worse, to be proud of and want to defend will get enough people twitching.

What are European values Wibbs? I'm guessing the ones you're speaking to don't include knocking the shit out of each other for centuries, colonsing people with spears by killing them with machine guns, destroying people's culture, spreading disease, causing famines, industrialised slaughter etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

What are European values Wibbs? I'm guessing the ones you're speaking to don't include knocking the shit out of each other for centuries, colonsing people with spears by killing them with machine guns, destroying people's culture, spreading disease, causing famines, industrialised slaughter etc.

Broadly speaking Tom They are human values.

They were common long before Europe and they'll be common long after.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

well, learning from history and believing in democracy and not throwing people off buildings for their sexuality or believing that women and lamps have a similar amount of self determination is a nice start europe has going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

I've never been in Cork but the darkest day in Ulster's history happened there in 1603, some of my relatives probably saw action in Kinsale given that I have 3 lines of O'neill ancestry, most likely more.

If they turned up for the battle of Kinsale in 1603 they would have been a little late.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: Let's stick to Cork for this thread, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

That's reassuring until you remember that Sweden censors it's crime stats (ethnicity is not reported) and rapes at music festivals were covered up by the police and media.

I don't believe one word your bs government says, and neither should you Sven.

Quite convenient to cite some sort of cover over, does create a 'water tight' logically fallacy... a bit like flat earther's and their need to resort to cover ups to keep their conspiracy theory chugging along.

There is the argument:

What is wrong with being Irish? This is Ireland.

Don't get me wrong - I like chinese or indian food as much as the next person - but when it starts to feel our Irishness is being put at a different level of priority I don't think that is right or fair.

Why is it western European countries seem to have to have their indigenous cultures mixed out and this does not seem to apply to the rest of the world?

Everywhere else seems to make bloody well sure their own people and culture come first. They welcome other cultures and nationalities but it's very much on the basis that the indigenous population are top dog in society.

I worry our destiny is what is happening in Sweden.

I am very proudly Irish. I love the country, the accents, the traditions, the cuisine and the personalities.

I don't see welcoming others as diluting or removing what is Irish.
    Can you say that France, Spain, England, Scotland, Sweden, Germany no longer possess any of that which they consider their indigenous populations or traditions.

I don't think so. In all cases, as in Ireland, the US, etc, there are cases where other cultures exist, but they co-exist, they have not replaced the natives by any stretch.

Also, I feel many people have a problem with Irish culture being replaced but less of a fondness for supporting Irish culture. Shops closing down as people move to online shopping, pubs closing as people get off license drinks and stay at home, hardly anyone speaking the Irish language. National soccer league averaging may be 2,000 per game while more than that travel to UK every week to watch 'their' team.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭walshb

What the **** is happening to this country?

From my reading the last while, I really think this country is facing a huge increase in lawlessness.....Am I exaggerating?

You got it in one. I quite simply don't want to live in and with the ballsology that has befallen every other European nation that has tried this multicultural stuff, or had it imposed on them because of past imperialism(which didn't work out too great either and for much the same reasons).

I'm happy for you. Make no mistake I do admire your openness and naivete, but I prefer to look at the overall results.

And please don't come out with the blindingly simplistic and all too constant refrain of "the Irish went all over the world, so therefore...". 1) the vast majority of those people went to European colonies that were crying out for more bodies. 2) social welfare was nonexistent in such places. 3) they were hated in many quarters and still are in some. And they were White.

And again all we hear of how great "multiculturalism" is comes down to vague examples of food and music and traditions. All of which can be enjoyed or absorbed without 10,000 Albanians or Sudanese showing up in Dublin airport. Nada about the social problems. Not least for the migrants. That's the joke, they usually get the crap end of the deal in the end. The drug addled stabby Blacks in the UK are the great grandkids of those Caribbean folks who went to the UK and worked hard as nurses and bus drivers while facing NO Blacks or Irish signs in digs trying to build new lives.

You seem eager to take the examples of what are particular events (drug addled stabby blacks (quite the phrase it must be said)) and taking that as the norm. It isn't. What numbers are taking part in such practices as any sort of a percentage of those considered migrants?

Also, the migrants would be much better off if we didn't treat them like a bad smell once they got here.

And this thing of 'don't talk about the Irish who travelled' is BS. We did travel, we did work, but having attended the famine memorial in Boston just a few weeks ago, it is interesting how the reaction of many locals was exactly the same as what we are seeing in certain quarters back home now. Also, the world was a much different place when many Irish travelled in the case of having the authority to work. The days of rocking up and asking 'any chance of a start' as many Irish used to get their foot in the door is no longer possible in any country. We were just lucky, in a way, to have been able to travel so much before the opportunities became so restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

sdanseo wrote: »
    The real irony here is the association of JD Sports and "good quality clothing".
    Normal functioning contributing members of society shouldnt wear a tracksuit outside, unless actually exercising.

What?

Advertisement