Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Organised Raid by up to 100 Youths in Cork City Centr

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭SporadicMan

Amazing to consider that we've done more to destroy Irish culture and the social fabric of our society in the last 20 years than the English did in our entire history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Totally agree, just saying that as a general rule "lock them up" doesn't exactly work either. It's some combination of (i) education (ii) effective laws (iii) visible enforcement of laws / adequate and necessary punishment.

Legal and taxed cannabis with funds from taxation going to criminal justice would be a strong start.

We have the education. All children have access to quite a good standard of education here; whether they apply themselves or not is up to them.
    We have the laws. Statute books full of them. If enforced they would be effective.
    Enforcement seems to be hobbled - in many cases, not just re this. Lax judgements, misplaced compassion, revolving door system, lack of space in prison or reform centres. And in the case of crime like this enforcement is further hobbled by political correctness.

I don't know what the solution is, these youngsters have everything already. Nice clothes, the latest technology, good food and shelter and education. I guess many will cop on and grow out of it but there will also likely be a core who will go on into further and more serious crime as they get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Amazing to consider that we've done more to destroy Irish culture and the social fabric of our society in the last 20 years than the English did in our entire history.
    Or maybe the "culture and the social fabric" of our society wasn't that strong to begin with. I take it that you're talking about "traditional" Church-led "culture" and "social fabric" which has been a scourge on our nation since its inception.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

I wonder what is the excuse for black criminality in Ireland did we some how oppress these people like Britain and America did ?

Gynoid wrote: »
    We have the education. All children have access to quite a good standard of education here; whether they apply themselves or not is up to them.
    Clearly we don't. We have a seriously uneducated population problem which is probably reliant on the drive to get everyone to third-level academic education, when we should be applying more of the German model and applying focus to those who are not showing academic aptitude, transitioning them into skills-based training.
    We have the laws. Statute books full of them. If enforced they would be effective.
    I trained as a lawyer in Ireland, I worked as a barrister in Ireland, I'm currently in Ireland (well not RIGHT now this minute, but I'm heading back Monday from the UK) - our laws are inadequate and, agreed, unenforced.
    Enforcement seems to be hobbled - in many cases, not just re this. Lax judgements, misplaced compassion, revolving door system, lack of space in prison or reform centres. And in the case of crime like this enforcement is further hobbled by political correctness.

YUP! Unpopular opinion alert: we need to build a new, state-of-the-art and massive prison somewhere and turn Mountjoy into a museum or something.
    I don't know what the solution is, these youngsters have everything already. Nice clothes, the latest technology, good food and shelter and education. I guess many will cop on and grow out of it but there will also likely be a core who will go on into further and more serious crime as they get older.
    But there's a systemic reason for it is what I'm saying. You can't just make this claim and then say "but we don't know why ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ " - clearly it's a combination of a lot of factors. I just don't think jailing every young offender is the solution and I can see sorta first-hand how it isn't working.

• Advertisement

I wonder what is the excuse for black criminality in Ireland did we some how oppress these people like Britain and America did ?
    I'm guessing probably the same as white criminality?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Why is everyone going on about black gangs? Pictures of the gathering were posted on social media by bystanders, they were white, or mostly white anyway.

strandroad wrote: »
    Why is everyone going on about black gangs? Pictures of the gathering were posted on social media by bystanders, they were white, or mostly white anyway.
    I'll give you two guesses and you won't need the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Because even when it wasn't the blacks, it was the blacks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Country is getting progressively worse. I'm sure someone will challenge that.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Country is getting progressively worse. I'm sure someone will challenge that.
    I think that's a translated quote from Adolf Hitler, 27 February 1925 if I'm correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

mikemac2 wrote: »
    Yam the shop ?

If this that Jamaican lingo the bruvs and yuffs use in London innit?
    They seem to be aping the English drill rap "culture"
    Yep, what a bunch of eejits acting like they are London gangsters.

They're Top Boys, innit fam?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 8,490 ✭✭✭brevity

What a load of ****e.

brevity wrote: »
    What a load of ****e.
    Exhibit A that "Irish culture and [...] social fabric" are just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I think that's a translated quote from Adolf Hitler, 27 February 1925 if I'm correct?

Healthcare, Justice, housing, public transport to name a few all worsening the last 8 years under FG led policy.

Where the hell did the Hitler quote come from? I'm not getting the link. Are you coming from a racism angle or some nonsense??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Healthcare, Justice, housing, public transport to name a few all worsening the last 8 years under FG led policy. ...

In fairness the previous shower also made it worse. FG have just stood back and watched everything fall apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Must be one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Or maybe the "culture and the social fabric" of our society wasn't that strong to begin with.
    I'm an asshole and ......
    Yep, we're seeing that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Notice a lot of new Irish were involved from Dublin. Will be a crime to call them out soon!

Let me guess from N Co Dublin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Wheres that poster who said ‘it was all over social media’ that they were all white as snow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 200 ✭✭Uncle Charlie

I'm guessing probably the same as white criminality?

In America high levels of black criminality are all blamed on slavery and historical racism.

But I can't see what Ireland has ever done to justify this black criminality ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Wheres that poster who said ‘it was all over social media’ that they were all white as snow.

Masturbating to their collection offree Ibrahim hallawi posters.......

Sorry I'll expect a ban

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

In America high levels of black criminality are all blamed on slavery and historical racism.

But I can't see what Ireland has ever done to justify this black criminality ?
    It's always the white man's fault. Never mind that when one looks at stats for antisocial behaviour and criminality in any multicultural society on the planet, the east Asians are the least likely to be involved, followed by Indo Europeans and then Africans. Same trend shows in absentee fathers and teen pregnancies and educational success and a few other metrics. It's a consistent pattern worldwide.

image.png

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Parental aspiration and attitude contributes if there is a constant theme of suspicion and distrust based on often hijacked experiences of previous generations.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Totally agree, just saying that as a general rule "lock them up" doesn't exactly work either. It's some combination of (i) education (ii) effective laws (iii) visible enforcement of laws / adequate and necessary punishment.

Legal and taxed cannabis with funds from taxation going to criminal justice would be a strong start.
    +1000. We do NOT want to go down the route of the American criminal justice system. For some reason when people see the admittedly oft crappy way the Irish justice system seems to deal with criminality(and that's being kind), they then look to one of the crappier criminal justice systems in the world as an answer. I can understand some frustration, but jesus...
    I don't think "more jail" is the answer to all problems typically. I'm not a criminal law practitioner, but I work in LA and have colleagues who work in the criminal justice system and it's clear that the very US solution of locking people up is not doing anything to solve the issues that are, frankly, systemic.

I'm not saying that jail and punishment is not the answer, it's just not the answer to every question.
    +1000 Part deux.
    FYI it's always spelled practice in the US. I work there as a commercial lawyer so it's advantageous to have your browser set to US English. You seem to not be familiar with my work here so I'll get you up to speed: I have three law degrees and a degree in economics, I know how to spell, I'm an asshole and I get bored on long flights... so when you want to come to the table with the adults I'll think about entertaining you.
    :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Parental aspiration and attitude contributes if there is a constant theme of suspicion and distrust based on often hijacked experiences of previous generations.
    Oh that is a large part of it indeed, but it's not as if east Asians get a free ride either. In the US for an example Chinese "coolies" were treated little better than slaves when the "West was won" and after, never mind Hollywood's decades long portrayal of them as a group(inscrutable and double dealing Charlie Chans was the better of it), or how they were regarded after Pearl Harbor. Yet Asian Americans are more likely than any other group to be at the top of the education and economic leagues and at the bottom of the social problems and criminality leagues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Go back and read what I really said.
    These are cropped out, why do you think that is? Because the whole doesn't match the message.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Go back and read what I really said.
    These are cropped out, why do you think that is? Because the whole doesn't match the message.

So its gone from all whites to cropped out whites, but still no copy of those photos... hmm...

Advertisement