Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

All Fine Gael wants to give rural Ireland is refugees and traveller gangs .... keep all the jobs and transport upgrades for Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Great outcome for the people of Achill. I was thinking that it's sad that these communities cannot take their own side. They cannot say that this is bad for us, this is bad for our community and for that to be enough in and of itself. Instead, they have to take an angle that they are somehow on the side of the migrants. I think it still is sad that it is illegitimate for these communities to represent their own interests, but so far they have been effective so more power to them.

The more pessimistic side of me wonders how long these victories will last once the next election is complete.
    alastair wrote: »
    We ended up taking nobody from Italy.

None of these lads are from Italy.
    Asylum seekers won’t be going anywhere. They are a fact of life.

The old "There is no alternative" mantra is getting a dust-down I see. There are alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

The Government deserve this rebellion. This is what happens when you become more concerned with impressing your European pals and not listening to the needs of your true Irish mates.

Leo and especially Charlie have made an unmitigated disaster of trying to house Asylum Seekers by completely ignoring the communities who will ultimately live alongside these people. They’ve played right into the hands of every conspiracy theorist - right winged commentator and now it will be almost impossible to salvage. Listen to your public next time guys, that’s why you’re elected.

We are all for helping people in this country, but not when you try to deceive or impose it upon us without asking first. Plus look closer to home too, once we solve our own crisis then we can look to help others.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Elsewhere

Be specific now Al, you know what happens otherwise...
    Again - we took no-one, and there was no financial inducements attached. Spain had offered to take the entire ship, let’s not forget.

And Malta and Italy outright refused... getting tired of your half truths dear Al...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Graces7 wrote: »

Indeed it was/ They started backtracking when the protests started.

The department have well screwed themselves now by failure to communicate and there's serious spinning going on against Achill.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Sand wrote: »
    Great outcome for the people of Achill. I was thinking that it's sad that these communities cannot take their own side. They cannot say that this is bad for us, this is bad for our community and for that to be enough in and of itself. Instead, they have to take an angle that they are somehow on the side of the migrants. I think it still is sad that it is illegitimate for these communities to represent their own interests, but so far they have been effective so more power to them.

The more pessimistic side of me wonders how long these victories will last once the next election is complete.

None of these lads are from Italy.

The old "There is no alternative" mantra is getting a dust-down I see. There are alternatives.

The asylum seekers posed no problem for people in Achill. That’s the long and short of it.

And no - there is no alternative to meeting our legal responsibilities to assess asylum claims. That’s also the long and short of it. These asylum seekers don’t disappear now that some Henny Penny’s in Achill can’t abide a hotel being filled for the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

The asylum seekers posed no problem for people in Achill. That’s the long and short of it.

And no - there is no alternative to meeting our legal responsibilities to assess asylum claims. That’s also the long and short of it. These asylum seekers don’t disappear now that some Henny Penny’s in Achill can’t abide a hotel being filled for the winter.

Whats a Henny Penny?

PostWoke wrote: »
    Be specific now Al, you know what happens otherwise...

And Malta and Italy outright refused... getting tired of your half truths dear Al...

Italy had a racist in government making decisions at the time. He managed to oust himself on the back of that same tendency, in breaking the law with regard to another ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The asylum seekers posed no problem for people in Achill.

You don't know that ,

Unless we're now dealing with a psychic ?

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    You don't know that ,

Unless we're now dealing with a psychic ?

Oh, spare me.

Why didnt you just say Chicken Licken?
    Are you American?

So anyone happen to know why rte have made no mention of the 30 males that were being sent to Achill for a few months holiday .

Seems our state media has an issue with whitewashing stories

So anyone happen to know why rte have made no mention of the 30 males that were being sent to Achill for a few months holiday .

Because they are lying fcuks?

Oh, spare me.

But you don't know ?

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Why didnt you just say Chicken Licken?
    Are you American?

Americans say Chicken Lickin, so; no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

riemann wrote: »
    I'd be worried if I lived near an empty hotel.

Seems to be a few slyhawks with contacts in the Dept buying up these places on the cheap and getting a contract with the state to dump asylum seekers wherever will take them without even considering for one minute about the services available or talking to the local community.

If a town can't support a hotel it's hardly an ideal place.

This is exactly it. There is far more to this story. Like everything involving FG, follow the money trail.

Before anyone shouts "racists " the government is lying to all and that is the most damming thing.

Americans say Chicken Lickin, so; no.

Never heard it called anything else only Chicken Licken in Ireland.

But you don't know ?

Best not expose yourself to the danger of the public eh? Thirty odd strangers - ohhh!

Never heard it called anything else only Chicken Licken in Ireland.

Well, not my cross to bear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Victory. On to the next one and then the next one. All until they finally get the message that Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney are not going to dump the EU/UN problems on us for them to further their own careers.

Well, not my cross to bear.

Neither is a few asylum seekers in Achill but you seem to have took that cross upon your shoulders.

Thirty odd strangers - ohhh!

So no you can't vouch for 30 odd strange men ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Victory. On to the next one and then the next one. All until they finally get the message that Leo Varadkar and Simon Coveney are not going to dump the EU/UN problems on us for them to further their own careers.

FG voted down Irish vessels rescuing migrants only this week.

Reality check...

There are the same number of asylum seekers in the country as there were yesterday - or quite possibly more.

None were sent here by the EU or the UN.

There is no career path for politicians on the back of adhering to our collective legal responsibility to assess asylum claims. These are people with no votes.

Neither is a few asylum seekers in Achill but you seem to have took that cross upon your shoulders.

It’s our collective responsibility. Your ignorance - not so much.

So no you can't vouch for 30 odd strange men ?

I can vouch for your irrational fear of asylum seekers - or possibly just strangers in general.

It’s our collective responsibility. Your ignorance - not so much.

My ignorance to what?

My ignorance to what?

Henny Penny. To begin with.

• Advertisement

Henny Penny. To begin with.

And what else?

Advertisement