Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

zell12 wrote: »
    Someone from Masi.ie was on Radio1 there, he said that these women and their kids are currently in Dublin hotels and are here for 1-3 months

Only for a holiday so .

Aren't we generous

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Gatling wrote: »
    Yes there is ..

No financial gain lol

No doubt you’re going to tell us the mechanism for this supposed financial gain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

alastair wrote: »
    No. They’re not.

So where did the €6.1m for Asylum, Migration and Integration in the EU budget to Ireland in 2017 (most up to date figure I could find) go??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It’s true.
    It only changed from 40 or so men (nationalities unknown) to include some token women, after protest, and the 'terms were suddenly renegotiated' after growing opposition.

It stands the original intention was to put 40 or so men there. This was only altered, within what was the the last day or two?
    The intention stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The solution is a centre near to dublin airport where they can fast track the claims. Grant the deserved cases and refuse the rest then deport. Simple

• Advertisement

Someone from Masi.ie was on Radio1 there, he said that these women and their kids are currently in Dublin hotels and are here for 1-3 months

Well - since there’s supposedly no asylum seekers in Dublin according to some deluded souls here, this will be more ‘fake news’.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Does achill island not have 100s of empty rooms and unlivable buildings, surely a pop boost would help

It only changed from 40 or so men (nationalities unknown) to include some token women, after protest, and the 'terms were suddenly renegotiated' after growing opposition.

It stands the original intention was to put 40 or so men there. This was only altered, within what was the the last day or two?
    The intention stands.

Frankly it makes far more sense to place only adults in the Achill hotel. The duration they will be staying there is far too short to mess school-age kids about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Alister. Apologise for your fake news. Accept this “operation” on achill didn’t work

As they say in mayo

Get up the yard ye clown!

Yes, thats the one thing the all say in Mayo is get up the yard...

The solution is a centre near to dublin airport where they can fast track the claims. Grant the deserved cases and refuse the rest then deport. Simple

The geographic location of asylum seekers plays no role in fast tracking claims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No doubt you’re going to tell us the mechanism for this supposed financial gain?

Just going to keep laughing :)

Fann Linn wrote: »
    The Racist Map is getting larger. Roosky, Moville, Oughterard, Wicklow and now Achill.
    Coleman and NT breakfast should be fun tomorrow.

How about the homeless map?

This isn’t about race or indeed ethnicity. No rural town has the capacity to take on large groups of people with no employment prospects, requirements for high support medical services and sweet fck all amenities - no Irish person in their right mind would spend Winter on Achill island unless they’re a local, a writer an artist or mad. So why are we proposing we send people from a foreign country there?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

As much as I think that should be the way it would be handled - I think the crisis is far too much for a Detention Centre and then some sort of shorter process before people either being given leave to remain or deported.

Many of the people walking, sailing and being brought here, in trucks will never leave. I'm not sure of a solution but foisting them on and them having to live in unsuitable areas (where migration is already a problem) isn't the answer alright.

I think it will take a harsher government stance to reduce the flow of people across Europe in the first place. The thing is I can understand why they come, what I don't understand is why they are allowed and why the countries they are fleeing aren't held accountable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

Fair play to the protestors. Oughterard protest also should take a bow. Well done.

Remind the government that they are our employees. Wish us city folk had the gumption the country folk seem to. Fair play, keep pushing lads, we have 10,000 homeless of our own, and the loss of 50,000 jobs, Brexit, and another recession bearing down on us. Be loud and clear on the message. Email your representatives, including ones that fight for their constituents will like here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The thread title is incorrect. No cancellation.

Stepping away for negotiations.

Alisdair is the only poster who seems to have read all the discussion and negotiations , The local councillor and TD Ring have stated clearly that their concern is with the system and not with immigrants per se.
    That they would welcome families to Achill who would integrate with the community . Just not literally dumping a group like this.

That is what the demo signs say also.

See the other thread also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

"mayo news" is now a more credible source of news than The Irish Times haha should be banned for trolling

I agree. None of the mainstream Irish political parties have any desire to stop it.

There are other parties who say they want to stop it. Ppl need to do a bit of research and vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I agree. None of the mainstream Irish political parties have any desire to stop it.

There are other parties who say they want to stop it. Ppl need to do a bit of research and vote accordingly.

Which party's want to stop it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

This isn’t about race or indeed ethnicity. No rural town has the capacity to take on large groups of people with no employment prospects, requirements for high support medical services and sweet fck all amenities - no Irish person in their right mind would spend Winter on Achill island unless they’re a local, a writer an artist or mad. So why are we proposing we send people from a foreign country there?

Agree fully. I was just guessing the reaction tomorrow from the media in light of this and Duffy's Lavelahn reaction today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

So why are we proposing we send people from a foreign country there?
    Because we have a 53% increase in asylum applicants this year and we don't gave the accommodation
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-people-seeking-asylum-rises-53-in-first-9-months-of-the-year-955151.html

• Advertisement

Because they thought they could get away with it! Out of sight etc, :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

13 women for 3 months.. not seeing the big victory in this case

I read it was 30+ males? There were two planned for Achill?
    Unsurprisingly the hotel business in Achill is pretty seasonal. The booking for the asylum seekers was for the off season.

And in in-season they were going to go... where?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

What parties? Renua? Are they even considered a party these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think that's being facetious of him Graces - You can't say you welcome them if they could integrate and then not give them a chance to integrate. I wish people in power TD's etc would stop pussy footing around the issue for fear of causing offence. It's simple, any rural community is not suitable for a large migration (per population of area) - Sure where I live we don't have a transport service, no street lighting, and no local shops - That's why people leave rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Because we have a 53% increase in asylum applicants this year and we don't gave the accommodation
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/number-of-people-seeking-asylum-rises-53-in-first-9-months-of-the-year-955151.html

Well then shouldn't someone say, 'Enough'.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It may be dawning on the powers that be and their media mouthpieces that riding roughshod over communities portraying them as far right nazis is not going to work

What parties? Renua? Are they even considered a party these days?

When did I even mention renua lol

Do yer own research ?

PostWoke wrote: »
    I read it was 30+ males? There were two planned for Achill?

It was but when the locals raised valid objections the dept climbed down.. So no just one.

And in in-season they were going to go... where?

The contract with the hotel owner is for 3 months renewable then. A good little off season money spinner clearly. Fairly new owners. It is classed as temporary emergency accommodation . Not a permanent DP centre.

They were not expecting the locals to raise sensible objections.

It may be dawning on the powers that be and their media mouthpieces that riding roughshod over communities portraying them as far right nazis is not going to work

This is it

The way RTÉ and the Irish times have been having sh1t fits lately you would think

Goose stepping Nazi SS officers were storming rural Ireland.

It was such rubbish it’s been called out immediately

Back to the drawing board una mullally and co!

• Advertisement

So where did the €6.1m for Asylum, Migration and Integration in the EU budget to Ireland in 2017 (most up to date figure I could find) go??

A third of AMIF funding goes to asylum assistance projects, and then only on the basis of submitted plans from local authorities etc. There’s no link to numbers of refugees voluntarily taken in from elsewhere in the EU. We didn’t actually manage to take in any from Italy, that we had committed to.

Advertisement