Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

alastair wrote: »
    I can vouch for your irrational

But not 30 male migrants

Personal posts .......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

I can vouch for your irrational fear of asylum seekers - or possibly just strangers in general.

You can't though, his fears are completely valid based on my personal experiences and literal news articles of assaults, arsons, and murders.

In all seriousness Al to have this much skin in the game you must work in some field related to the issue, but you have to realize you're the hand that feeds, so they act like angels around you. That is not the case for civis or people they consider lesser. I've seen it, have had it happen to me, have even been assaulted by one.

Please respect others enough to not handwave facts, reality, and things that have actually happened to people. It hurts your insistence that you care about these things (as long as asylum scammers are experiencing them).

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭mrpdap

What a sad, selfish and thoroughly un-christian country we’ve become.

Let’s hope it stays fine for us all and that we never have to seek help in desperate times.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

PostWoke wrote: »
    You can't though, his fears are completely valid based on my personal experiences and literal news articles of assaults and murders.

In all seriousness Al to have this much skin in the game you must work in some field related to the issue, but you have to realize you're the hand that feeds, so they act like angels around you. That is not the case for civi's or people they consider lesser. I've seen it, have had it happen to me, have even been assaulted by one.

Please respect others enough to not handwave facts, reality, and things that have actually happened to people. It hurts your insistence that you care about these things (as long as asylum scammers are experiencing them).

Sorry to break it to you, but your personal fears don’t really equate to the facts on the ground. There is no greater risk of criminality with asylum seekers than any other randomer you might encounter. Quite where you got the ‘civi’ business from I don’t know, but it’s another cue as to your rather vivid imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

There is no greater risk of criminality with asylum seekers than any other randomer you might encounter.

Have you a link to that study?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It’s our collective responsibility. Your ignorance - not so much.

Well that didn't take long

alastair, do not post in this thread again - you have proven yourself incapable of discussing these matters in a civil manner

Sorry to break it to you, but your personal fears don’t really equate to the facts on the ground.

Well I am on the ground, as is the reporting in the articles.
    There is no greater risk of criminality with asylum seekers than any other randomer you might encounter.

Not very convincing when you consider the lives these people have lived in the places they've lived, which rarely claw themselves out of civil war and genocide. There is no way that doesn't have an impact on a person culturally and psychologically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Yesterday it was 30 men going there. Check mayo news.

They were told it was 38 men, and the hotel would be sent up to 70.
    So the headline of 13 women is completely distorted to what the locals were originally advised by officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Call me Al wrote: »
    They were told it was 39 men, and the hotel would be sent up to 70.
    So the headline of 13 women is completely distorted to what the locals were originally advised by officials.

It's attempt to shame the locals , utterly ridiculous behaviour from the government and the media

Gatling wrote: »
    It's attempt to shame the locals , utterly ridiculous behaviour from the government and the media

They got caught out with the bearded children,now trying the woman angle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,214 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Another victory for casual rural Irish racism. Can’t say I am surprised.

blanch152 wrote: »

lmao no

"If you want to be safe YER A RACISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

blanch152 wrote: »

Lazy,so very lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Jeasus, I don't know anything bout this but if I lived in A hill and heard they were 13 women (don't care much for the number 13) a coming I'd be only delighted. Ho ho ho.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

BarryD2 wrote: »
    I think this is a poor decision and a shameful episode that could reflect poorly on the good people of Achill. The population there is fairly widely dispersed around the island between the various small villages and in ribbon development between them. Plenty of space for everyone, lots of healthy fresh air, a fantastic beach at Keel nearby. It's not as if these asylum seekers would have a major impact on the majority of winter residents. I think it will transpire that this was a small vocal minority inc some blow ins (judging by the radio today) that have done ill to the island peoples reputation.

You clearly have not read the statements by the Achill folk. They are far from refusing these people; just refusing the current system of wholesale dumping. Please go back and read what was said.

The only shameful part is by the authorities who it has emerged had never even visited the hotel. With no warning to or consultation with the local people.

These are refugees from war torn countries. We are not talking about a holiday resort. They will need support, medical care, far more than is available on Achill without preparations.

THAT is what the local councillor has stated so clearly. He has said they will welcome refuges IF they are in houses where they can be truly integrated. Not dumped en masse

And no, this was not a few "blow ins" but permanent residents some of who I know personally and have talked with

They want the best for these refugees and the current system is not the best by any means.

Few here have even mentioned the needs of the refugees, that they are fleeing appalling danger, seeking safety. Many are damaged by what they have endured. Being dumped in a remote place where there is no support for them ?

Try Achill in winter!

They need and have every right to full medical and social support and facilities. As fellow human beings. Our equals . Not to be stranded in a remote place with minimal care.

Oh and please google asylum seekers in Greece to see what happens when care is not taken.

Achill is saying what others are saying; that the current system stinks; it is inhumane. depersonalising. Achill though has added that they are very very willing to integrate refugees IF the support system is there; which it is not

Which is more than any of the other places that rejected them did.

Achill is leading the way for better treatment of these indigent folk. Peacably and with dignity.

The department have well screwed themselves now by failure to communicate and there's serious spinning going on against Achill.

https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2019/1031/1087856-achill-asylum-seekers/

Everyone who matters knows the spin and lies that this is.

What matters is that the scheme has been scotched and that the govt will have to find better ways to handle this that will support the asylum seekers.

PostWoke wrote: »
    lmao no

"If you want to be safe YER A RACISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!"

it is not re safety; it is about better care for these refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I support the government’s initiative to take in refugees but they way they are the handling it is ridiculous. The locations such as this one and oughterard are totally unsuitable and there’s been almost no discussion with locals it seems. These people aren’t racist they have legitimate concerns about the system and they’re dead right.

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is not re safety; it is about better care for these refugees.

Yes, of course it is!
    Everyone in Ireland is worried about the poor asylum seekers, we don't have leisure facilities for them! We don't have cinemas! They need serious mental health assistance, we don't have it!
    Such a cop out.

We have had asylum seekers coming here for years. Is there any proof that Ireland has let any of them down?
    In fact, many of them who can, stay here, so I would suggest that Ireland is indeed a good place for them to live. And where better to bring up children then in a small rural community?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll probably devastate the very important tourism industry over there. Having a hape of asylum spoofers hanging around is a real magnet for tourists!

As somebody who visits Achill quite regularly, I can’t fathom how it would have any real impact.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The locals weren't all that opposed to this. There was a lot of **** stirring by "concerned" oddballs with no connection to the area trying to get folks into a tizzy, which was very interesting to see first hand I have to say. A few of the more gullible folks got sucked in and protested, a similar amount of others were openly accepting of the idea, the vast majority of the island went about their lives and didn't give a ****.

Mickeroo, I suspected your post here would pretty much go ignored and so it was. One reply or something. Which is a shame because it is quite measured and gives some idea of local sentiment.

This topic is a nightmare to read about generally for people who are not entrenched in a particular viewpoint.

Mickeroo, I suspected your post here would pretty much go ignored and so it was. One reply or something. Which is a shame because it is quite measured and gives some idea of local sentiment.

This topic is a nightmare to read about generally for people who are not entrenched in a particular viewpoint.

It was the same in Ballinamore, I know members of my own family & friends who were intimidated & shouted down by a few. The few loudest.
    Of course, they are afraid to go against the anti asylum seekers, look what happened to Martin Kennys car, there was also a shop set on fire before that, but was not so much in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

This achill fiasco is just the latest example.

The stats over the years show the vast majority of these ppl will be refused asylum.

They should’nt be scattered to the 4 corners of Ireland. Instead there should be a central holding facility near dublin airport.

Grant the deserving cases.

Deport the failed cases who have deportation orders.

Ya know, crazy idea and all - but actually enforce an efficient and effective system for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Aodhan calling ye a racist Grace on NT breakfast right now.

RTÉ do love to twist what is being said. Focusing on the 13 women bit. Then saying currently that they are being housed in temporary accommodation. But isn’t achill a temporary winter only stay?

Where were they going to go after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Jim o callahan currently on RTÉ saying the state needs to develop more state owned holding facilities for these asy seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

FF's Jim O'Callaghan on RTE R1 there insists that most people want to welcome more refugees, are just fearful of change, used the old the Irish went out everywhere etc, and saying we need to use more state accommodation for direct provision

He did at least recognise that our economy will attract not just refugees but economic migrants but insists that we need to do our part.

Here's an idea.. Just send them home. We can't even house people who are already here let alone a few thousand completely dependent people a year.

Sick to death of this virtue signalling nonsense at our expense!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jim o callahan currently on RTÉ saying the state needs to develop more state owned holding facilities for these asy seekers.

He is right and base them around the cities so the Asylum seekers can actually get their lives going.

What are women and children ever going to do in the likes of Achill. I'm very against DP in its current format. I actually think it's a disgusting way to treat everybody involved. Irelands shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,525 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Aodhan calling ye a racist Grace on NT breakfast right now.

It's a change from him protesting the homeless crisis and protesting against apartments being built in his constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He is right and base them around the cities so the Asylum seekers can actually get their lives going.

What are women and children ever going to do in the likes of Achill. I'm very against DP in its current format. I actually think it's a disgusting way to treat everybody involved. Irelands shame.

I agree with him and I agree that DP is a failed system that does not work.

Time to move these refugees into the leafy suburbs of Dublin (D4, Castleknock, Howth, Malahide, Sutton, Clontarf, Terenure, Tempelogue, Monkstown, Blackrock, Stillorgan, Shankill), Cork (Montenotte., South Douglas, Blackrock) and Galway (Salthill).

We have a chance to show the Swedes and Germans how to do proper integration rather than throw AS and Refugees into **** accommodation in run down estates or in the middle of nowhere.

#RefugeesforLeafySuburbs

Advertisement