Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Ronan go away and do your own research and stop going off topic please n thanks

I have given you potential parties, outside of them there are not all that many headbanger parties left. Please educate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Yep. Well done Achill. Brilliant for the Community in fairness

Want to pay tribute to Oughterard too. And I’m hearing Ballinamore will have a positive outcome.

Great to see!!

I’d reiterate the question already posed - how did your ‘local contact’ in Courtown work out for you with the ‘info’ on the assault perpetrators then?

Yep. Well done Achill. Brilliant for the Community in fairness

Want to pay tribute to Oughterard too. And I’m hearing Ballinamore will have a positive outcome.

Great to see!!

An embarrassment to most of the decent locals in Ballinamore.
    Funny too how the one woman shouting the loudest is not originally from the town either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Come on, can you not answer my simple question. I wouldn't be as smart as yourself, a true patriot, so please. Send me some parties names. It is all I ask.

You have all the time in the world to chase praise, just give me those sweet sweet parties I can vote for?

If you don't you may, god forbid, find a family of asylum seekers in your very bed!

Ro

Ro-nan

Whatever. Go off and do your own research. I have no wish to try and influence you. Go off and come to your own conclusion

The one thing I will say in caution is DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAILROAD decent Irish communities

Because it will not work.

alastair wrote: »
    I’d reiterate the question already posed - how did your ‘local contact’ in Courtown work out for you with the ‘info’ on the assault perpetrators then?

Now now, we all know poor old Beechy is known for being full of utter ****e.
    There was a time on this site over the last 20+ years there was a decent quality of wind up merchant, sadly these days it is lacking :(

• Advertisement

You can play around with words but the Ocean Viking (like other such vessels) was parked up off the Italian coast, trying to get to Italy for weeks. (Italy said no).

The majority of the EU rejected them (considering them as illegal economic migrants), only 6 countries agreed, after persuasion. Thus it was an 'additional and fresh agreement and commitment' that you suggested isn't occuring.

Again - we took no-one, and there was no financial inducements attached. Spain had offered to take the entire ship, let’s not forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Pretzill wrote: »
    There's a deserted Village on Achill, a place which was left to disintegrate as people left, due to similiar economic issues a lot of these migrants are facing.

Not a good parallel - as I understand it, the reasons the Deserted Village was abandoned have never been clear. May have simply been a pragmatic move based on shifting coastlines, the lake behind Keel was once a sea inlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Again - we took no-one, and there was no financial inducements attached. Spain had offered to take the entire ship, let’s not forget.
    Ireland (one of six only) agreed to take a number from the Ocean Viking just months ago. This is an 'additional commitment', setting a precedent for the future.

Financial inducements is a seperate issue, that could have well be a factor, unless you have proof otherwise.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-migrant-crisis-immigration-refuge-accept-country-fund-migration-policy-a8461676.html
    €6,000 per person was an incentive previously.

Ro

Ro-nan

Whatever. Go off and do your own research. I have no wish to try and influence you. Go off and come to your own conclusion

The one thing I will say in caution is DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAILROAD decent Irish communities

Because it will not work.

I have come to my conclusion, I think you are a spoofer, full of ****.

"The one thing I will say in caution is DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RAILROAD decent Irish communities"

Say in caution, get a load of you.

Ireland (one of six only) agreed to take a number from the Ocean Viking just months ago. This is an 'additional commitment', setting a precedent for the future.

Financial inducements is a seperate issue, that could have well be a factor, unless you have proof otherwise.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/eu-migrant-crisis-immigration-refuge-accept-country-fund-migration-policy-a8461676.html
    €6,000 per person was an incentive previously.

Again - we ended up taking nobody from Italy. So this notion of EU masters etc carries no credibility at all. We have voluntarily taken in refugees since the 1940’s, so the precedent was set many decades ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Again - we ended up taking nobody from Italy. So this notion of EU masters etc carries no credibility at all. We have voluntarily taken in refugees since the 1940’s, so the precedent was set many decades ago.
    The Italian coastline of the 'Med' (Italy being the intended destination)

The fiscal incentive last year from the EU was for the 'Med'.

Again, this sets a new precedence for future (likely) vessels of economic migrants.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,378 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Alastair and Beechwoodspark - you are already banned from posting in one asylum seekers thread and if you continue that behaviour over here you will find yourselves in a familiar place

Ronan|Raven - you seem to be heading for a similar fate, and I would suggest you reconsider your posting "style"

Any questions PM me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Not a good parallel - as I understand it, the reasons the Deserted Village was abandoned have never been clear. May have simply been a pragmatic move based on shifting coastlines, the lake behind Keel was once a sea inlet.

Okay then the Deserted Village in Aughris, Sligo which was emigration - I have never heard the shifting coastline as an issue as the deserted village on Achill is quite high up - Migration can be for many reasons. People still left.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭enricoh

I think this is a poor decision and a shameful episode that could reflect poorly on the good people of Achill. The population there is fairly widely dispersed around the island between the various small villages and in ribbon development between them. Plenty of space for everyone, lots of healthy fresh air, a fantastic beach at Keel nearby. It's not as if these asylum seekers would have a major impact on the majority of winter residents. I think it will transpire that this was a small vocal minority inc some blow ins (judging by the radio today) that have done ill to the island peoples reputation.

Yeah, it'll probably devastate the very important tourism industry over there. Having a hape of asylum spoofers hanging around is a real magnet for tourists!

The Italian coastline of the 'Med' (Italy being the intended destination)

The fiscal incentive last year from the EU was for the 'Med'.

Again, this sets a new precedence for future (likely) vessels of economic migrants.

No it doesn’t. We took in vessels of refugees' landed elsewhere, in the 70’s. And if you have any evidence of financial incentives for taking in migrants on vessels, then provide a link. Because there are none that I’m aware of. And once again - we ended up taking no-one in from Italy, or off Italy’s shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

How does that financially benefit those in direct provision?

None of this is of any benefit to them. They are being used by property owners to make good moolah. And the government is totally on board. EU says we must have asylum seekers. Ok. EU gives us money to house the asylum seekers. Ok.
    We don’t want DP centres anywhere that they will have a detrimental affect on property prices. Ok.
    My sister in laws brother has a hotel in Achill. It’s been closed for 5 years. It’s a dump but it’s better then what they’re used to.
    They get housed.
    We fulfill our EU obligation.
    Sister in laws brother gets the money.
    Winning!

Beasty wrote: »
    Alastair and Beechwoodspark - you are already banned from posting in one asylum seekers thread and if you continue that behaviour over here you will find yourselves in a familiar "boat"

Ronan|Raven - you seem to be wanting to sink with them, and I would suggest you reconsider your posting "style"

Any questions PM me

All I want my right honourable friend is for the other right honourable member to answer my right honourable question! I shall politely "bow out" as it were...

enricoh wrote: »
    Yeah, it'll probably devastate the very important tourism industry over there. Having a hape of asylum spoofers hanging around is a real magnet for tourists!

Achill in winter is not known as a magnet for tourists, one way or another.

splinter65 wrote: »
    None of this is of any benefit to them. They are being used by property owners to make good moolah. And the government is totally on board. EU says we must have asylum seekers. Ok. EU gives us money to house the asylum seekers. Ok.
    We don’t want DP centres anywhere that they will have a detrimental affect on property prices. Ok.
    My sister in laws brother has a hotel in Achill. It’s been closed for 5 years. It’s a dump but it’s better then what they’re used to.
    They get housed.
    We fulfill our EU obligation.
    Sister in laws brother gets the money.
    Winning!

We don’t have any EU obligation with regard to these people. They made their claim for asylum here. The EU doesn’t pay for us processing or housing asylum seekers.

And the claim being made was that asylum seekers are getting some financial benefit. They’re not, as you agree.

I think this is a poor decision and a shameful episode that could reflect poorly on the good people of Achill. The population there is fairly widely dispersed around the island between the various small villages and in ribbon development between them. Plenty of space for everyone, lots of healthy fresh air, a fantastic beach at Keel nearby. It's not as if these asylum seekers would have a major impact on the majority of winter residents. I think it will transpire that this was a small vocal minority inc some blow ins (judging by the radio today) that have done ill to the island peoples reputation.

You are joking?
    Fresh fcking air? A beach in the middle of an Irish winter for people who have arrived from a decrepit war torn country?

Are you seriously off your head this evening?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Because we have a legal responsibility to assess asylum claims.

I can see the attraction of an empty/underused hotel to those seeking asylum centre accommodation.
    Any assessment of such places should include a brief description of relevant facilities in that area - medical, educational, social etc. Few signs of such enquiries in recent cases e.g. Keel, Achill.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Fresh fcking air? A beach in the middle of an Irish winter for people who have arrived from a decrepit war torn country?

Most aren't from decrepit war torn countries unfortunately most are nothing but economic migrants seeking life long benefits and housing all funded by us Joe taxpayer

Gatling wrote: »
    Most aren't from decrepit war torn countries unfortunately most are nothing but economic migrants seeking life long benefits and housing all funded by us Joe taxpayer

Well they’re not from Geneva or Monaco either and regardless there’s nothing for them on Achill island so why put them there?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

regardless there’s nothing for them on Achill island so why put them there?

Maybe it's somekind of reverse psychology the governments behalf sure arrive and will dump you in the bog arse of nowhere till either we deport you (not likely) or the up sticks and leave (even less likely )

We need proper asylum processing centers , that are secure and have limited medical access and education if your proven to be a genuine asylum case then your welcome ,if your denied Then your removed from the holding center on to a flight home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Baffling decision to send them to the achill islands.

Fair play to the locals for taking a stand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

These asylum seekers should be housed in Dublin or other city’s where they can have facilities and services near them not sending them to the back of beyonds of Mayo or Leitrim .
    It seems Fine Gael want to throw these refugees anywhere they can drop them in rural Ireland showing no regard for the refugees or the communities their throwing them into . Typical Fine Gael who seek to destroy Rural Ireland every which way they can .

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

LuasSimon wrote: »
    These asylum seekers should be housed in Dublin or other city’s where they can have facilities and services near them not sending them to the back of beyonds of Mayo or Leitrim .
    It seems Fine Gael want to throw these refugees anywhere they can drop them in rural Ireland showing no regard for the refugees or the communities their throwing them into . Typical Fine Gael who seek to destroy Rural Ireland every which way they can .

What city

West dublin?

We don’t have enough houses schools or healthcare for the people here now

How can we take any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

enricoh wrote: »

Places like Achill are Very Quiet in winter, the tourists come in for the summer holidays.
    You are joking?

Are you seriously off your head this evening?

If they're young and basically healthy, it wouldn't do them a bit of harm at all. Sure there's days you wouldn't put a dog out in the west, but plenty of others when the land sparkles. Good for body & soul. Given that or some kip in Dublin, I'd reckon they'd be glad to be there. And I strongly suspect, most of the local residents as well - something to add a bit of colour and discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Government really needs to expand Mosney and put all of them there.
    Balbriggan one side Drogheda the other and a train station out the back to get into town.
    Way better idea than dumping them in tiny rural villages.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

If they're young and basically healthy, it wouldn't do them a bit of harm at all. Sure there's days you wouldn't put a dog out in the west, but plenty of others when the land sparkles. Good for body & soul. Given that or some kip in Dublin, I'd reckon they'd be glad to be there. And I strongly suspect, most of the local residents as well - something to add a bit of colour and discussion.

Jesus thats some pie in the sky ideals youre spouting there:pac:

Advertisement