Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Achill asylum centre cancelled - mod warning in OP (01/11/19)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The OP can't even tell the truth in the thread title.

This place has gone past the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Boggles wrote: »

This place has gone past the dogs.

Awwwwwe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So simple question re: all these protests for asylum seekers and their accommodation.

Are none of these places suitable, or are we simply racist and rife with nimbyism?

NIMAN wrote: »
    So simple question re: all these protests for asylum seekers and their accommodation.

Are none of these places suitable, or are we simply racist and rife with nimbyism?

Exactly.
    Hotels are not suitable, but yet when offered actual apartments, they are not suitable either!
    Tbh, I don't believe anyone should be living in hotels, particularly families.
    I believe there are plenty of empty houses & apartments around the country.
    And why the obsession with placing asylum seekers in cities?
    What's wrong with small town living? It was great for a lot of families in this country, why not asylum seekers?

All I can see is rubbish excuses getting thrown around, with no-one actually saying what they believe is the suitable method, except of course for the few who think they should be kept in prison type buildings!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

These places are unsuitable. There should be a proper centralized facility with all the resources the asy seekers require until their application is processed

Don’t forget, going by the statistics, most of these applicants will be refused asylum and will have no basis for remaining here especially when they get presented with deportation orders.

• Advertisement

These places are unsuitable. There should be a proper centralized facility with all the resources the asy seekers require until their application is processed

Don’t forget, going by the statistics, most of these applicants will be refused asylum and will have no basis for remaining here especially when they get presented with deportation orders.

We have all heard of your 'not prison ' centres, that actually sound exactly like a prison.
    While, that system may be useful if the decision time was weeks or even a few months, as we all know, the process can take a lot longer.
    Until that process is sorted out, we can't keep people for years in what is basically a prison type set up.

It’s not a prison

Is mosney camp a prison? No

What I am saying is a larger version of that. With all the facilities these ppl require until they are processed.

Going by the stats most are refused asylum.

Sure if we a built a super prison for them you would have the same basket of individuals lamenting that we should be taking care of our own prisoners first.

Sure if we a built a super prison for them you would have the same basket of individuals lamenting that we should be taking care of our own prisoners first.

they deserve a certain level of facility but nothing that would create a “pull factor” for more ppl to arrive looking for asy. All this is very basic stuff when it comes to asy migration

The entire system is a mess, Niman. They need to press pause until they deal with those that are in DP provision already. Fast track the process of claiming asylum status so that those that are in it can get themselves into full time work or decline their application and arrange their return to their home nation.

The majority of asylum seekers want to better themselves but this holding pattern that goes on for years is doing them no favours at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Here comes Pat Kenny to talk down to the people of Achill. Pat, who objects to apartments near his house in case it spoiled his view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Now youre just being silly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The locals weren't all that opposed to this. There was a lot of **** stirring by "concerned" oddballs with no connection to the area trying to get folks into a tizzy, which was very interesting to see first hand I have to say. A few of the more gullible folks got sucked in and protested, a similar amount of others were openly accepting of the idea, the vast majority of the island went about their lives and didn't give a ****.

Are you sure?

Because the half dozen guys rage typing from their Mother's spare bedrooms is telling me different?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,762 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Feel sorry for the likes of Borrisokane who didn't protest strongly enough.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

What city

West dublin?

We don’t have enough houses schools or healthcare for the people here now

How can we take any more?

People are moving to Dublin every single day, thousands come here every year but I don’t see people out protesting, claiming strain on resources.

The people protesting these centres are scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Is there even a school or a doctor on achill island? Is there anything for them to do? The British Empire used to send prisoners to serve their sentences on deserted islands. This doesn’t all that different to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Tell us how you really feel...
    People are moving to Dublin every single day, thousands come here every year but I don’t see people out protesting, claiming strain on resources.
    They might not be protesting Irish people moving to Dublin for work, but the amount of bellyaching over culchies is second to none.

And therein lies one of the problems. Comments like above don’t help one iota. Don’t question, just do or you’ll be called racist or scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭carolmon

Jim o callahan currently on RTÉ saying the state needs to develop more state owned holding facilities for these asy seekers.

Why do you consistently call them "asy seekers"?

Does the word "asylum' offend you?

Too humane?

asylum noun (PROTECTION)

[ U ]
    protection or safety, especially that given by a government to people who have been forced to leave their own countries for their safety or because of war:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Call me Al

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    He is right and base them around the cities so the Asylum seekers can actually get their lives going.

What are women and children ever going to do in the likes of Achill. I'm very against DP in its current format. I actually think it's a disgusting way to treat everybody involved. Irelands shame.
    The vast majority of islanders didn't mind them arriving if it was actually as the dept are saying... small numbers like 13 women. Most of them also wouldn't have minded if they were being put into some of the clean tidy holiday homes that are around the village, and forward planning for their care and help had been done in anticipation of their arrival, and they will acknowledge that they have no control over who comes and goes anyway. They are also acutely aware of the island's own history with emigration and the prejudice their families historically received.

But in the last week they were told that the Dept had calculated that the hotel could hold up to 70 people for these purposes (the only parameter to be met on behalf of the users of the service by a hotel for this kind of emergency accommodation is bed and board -they don't look beyond that. The first tranche was to be 38 men over 3 days, and they were being dropped in a rundown hotel with literally no services put in place for them to help them in their pretty unique situation, in light of trauma they may have been through and the needs that could quickly and consequently arise.
    The small community were going to have to pick up the pieces and the hotel owner was probably going to head back to London and leave them to deal with the fallout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Bring in a couple of thousand refugees and shove them off down the country and leave paddy homeless man to die in a doorway.
    A typical crowd pleasing paddy Irishman project.
    Leave them above in Dublin next door to Leo and the boyfriend if they are that desperate to ship them in.see how many of them they will take then.
    What the fcuk would an asylum seeker without a word of English go at on a wet day below in Achill?
    Looking out the window counting sheep is it?
    It’s a fcukin joke of a country this.

carolmon wrote: »
    Why do you consistently call them "asy seekers"?

Does the word "asylum' offend you?

Too humane?

asylum noun (PROTECTION)

[ U ]
    protection or safety, especially that given by a government to people who have been forced to leave their own countries for their safety or because of war:

No basically just to save time when typing using a mobile phone. Thanks anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Graces7 wrote: »
    You clearly have not read the statements by the Achill folk. They are far from refusing these people; just refusing the current system of wholesale dumping. Please go back and read what was said.

The only shameful part is by the authorities who it has emerged had never even visited the hotel. With no warning to or consultation with the local people.

These are refugees from war torn countries. We are not talking about a holiday resort. They will need support, medical care, far more than is available on Achill without preparations.

THAT is what the local councillor has stated so clearly. He has said they will welcome refuges IF they are in houses where they can be truly integrated. Not dumped en masse

And no, this was not a few "blow ins" but permanent residents some of who I know personally and have talked with

They want the best for these refugees and the current system is not the best by any means.

Few here have even mentioned the needs of the refugees, that they are fleeing appalling danger, seeking safety. Many are damaged by what they have endured. Being dumped in a remote place where there is no support for them ?

Try Achill in winter!

They need and have every right to full medical and social support and facilities. As fellow human beings. Our equals . Not to be stranded in a remote place with minimal care.

Oh and please google asylum seekers in Greece to see what happens when care is not taken.

Achill is saying what others are saying; that the current system stinks; it is inhumane. depersonalising. Achill though has added that they are very very willing to integrate refugees IF the support system is there; which it is not

Which is more than any of the other places that rejected them did.

Achill is leading the way for better treatment of these indigent folk. Peacably and with dignity.

Sorry Grace, you may believe all above but it just comes down to plain old NIMBYism and people might as well be honest about it. I don't think the system is right at all either, people's applications need to be processed quickly and either let in or sent back, no appeals. But that's not how it's working at the moment and appeals drag on for years.

These people have to be housed in reasonable conditions and what's on offer here is far better than the tin huts and camps offered by other states. It's be be nice if they could be dispersed throughout the state in their own wee houses but that's quite unrealistic. We've enough trouble as it is providing social housing to our own without this extra cohort jumping the queue.

I believe you're overstating the war torn, damaged, medically demands aspect. Whilst there will be some in that situation, many of these asylum seekers are basically young and healthy.

Of course winter can be rough at times in the west but weather comes and goes and no reason why these people could not manage there, just like people have for many centuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

They need to put them in Ranelagh or Monkstown or wherever the scumbag pols and their fancy pals live, it might cool the ardour of these posh 'refugees welcome' types.

These places are unsuitable. There should be a proper centralized facility with all the resources the asy seekers require until their application is processed.

Are you that lazy you can’t be arsęd typing ‘lum’, or is it more with your massive post count on all threads supporting racist, bigoted protests and ideologies, you simply don’t have the time?

Or is it perhaps just another way for you to lessen the credibility and validity of the asylum claims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

MadYaker wrote: »
    Is there even a school or a doctor on achill island? Is there anything for them to do? The British Empire used to send prisoners to serve their sentences on deserted islands. This doesn’t all that different to me.

Of course there are basic services, three primary schools I think plus a secondary at the Sound. Doctors in Dooagh & the Sound.. Shops, coffee shops. What do you mean as regards anything to do? No cinemas or fancy kids play centres but plenty of opportunity for good healthy exercise.

They need to put them in Ranelagh or Monkstown or wherever the scumbag pols and their fancy pals live, it might cool the ardour of these posh 'refugees welcome' types.

I’m not posh in the slightest but they’re welcome to house any decent people anywhere near me.

I consider myself a decent person with a capacity for empathy and compassion for all people, no matter their colour, origin or religion.

Basically I’m not a thundering backwards, racist, sectarian arsęhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

The thing about the asylum system in Ireland is that it's the most generous in Europe
    That's why the numbers of people coming from safe democracies has shot up. The media and some politicians say that direct provisions centres aren't good enough but direct provision is the norm throughout Europe. Tent cities are the norm everywhere else. The alternative for those who want to give them more seems to be taxpayer funded houses. This would obviously be a massive pull factor that, if implemented would overwhelm infrastructure

The asylum seekers receive free accommodation, free healthcare, €38.80 a week spending money, are allowed to work, and avail of free education. That's all the benefits of an advanced welfare state plus free food and accommodation. There seems to be a lot of naivity in this country about conditions in the rest of the world. Direct provision in Ireland represents a huge increase in living standards than people have most of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

What work are asylum seekers going to get below in Achill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭ebbsy

MadYaker wrote: »

+1

It is a bad choice of where to put them.

Why not just give them all separate apartments mortgage free ?

Advertisement