Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Ariya

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

ELM327 wrote: »
    RWD according to press release and nissan graphic.

That's not my reading of the press release, seems more like FWD or AWD -

"In the rear, the suspension packaging, including the multi-link system and rear electric motor (if equipped)"

"On models equipped with e-4ORCE, regenerative torque is distributed not only to the front wheels, but also the rear."

Doesn't seem to state anything specifically though...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

Zenith74 wrote: »
    That's not my reading of the press release, seems more like FWD or AWD -

"In the rear, the suspension packaging, including the multi-link system and rear electric motor (if equipped)"

"On models equipped with e-4ORCE, regenerative torque is distributed not only to the front wheels, but also the rear."

Doesn't seem to state anything specifically though...

That was my opinion too. Thanks Zenith. If it turns out to be FWD rather than RWD that’s a disappointment to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It does seem to have changed from the initial press release and even the graphics in most videos showing RWD and AWD.
    Seems to have been FWD all along, which is disappointing. Another relic of fossil fuel cars

It does seem to have changed from the initial press release and even the graphics in most videos showing RWD and AWD.
    Seems to have been FWD all along, which is disappointing. Another relic of fossil fuel cars

Really is a bummer, especially considering there's an AWD version so they presumably could have chosen to leave out either motor without any changes to the design. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I was excited for the platform with rear wheel drive and very good interior but front wheel drive is such a shame. The Kona / Niro torque steer and wheel spin is not an endearing feature for otherwise nice platforms and I would bet money the Ariya will suffer in a similar way just like every other FWD car.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I would bet money the Ariya will suffer in a similar way just like every other FWD car.

I recently got a Leaf e+ which has a fair bit more power than the older Leafs, but Nissan have tamed the power quite a bit at lower speeds, it's noticeably slower 'off the mark' than a Leaf24 but is much stronger after that.

Having driven a Kona I think you're being charitable saying it is not endearing :D, it's downright unpleasant to drive aggressively. The e+ is nothing like it, but similar power/torque/weight. I'd imagine Nissan will manage the power output similar to the e+ and it won't be anything like how skitterish the Kona is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

I would be tempted by the e4orce. Add propilot 2 and could be (for me) a contender for the cybertruck. As much as I want the latter, and I need 4x4 , it might just be a bit too impractical giving its proportions.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

The FWD 63kWh Ariya is a good match for the Kona/Niro/Soul EVs. It appears larger and more premium by comparison but the WLTP of 370km doesn't look great against the Kona's 449km figure. Hopefully that's conservative and it ends up above 400km.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

I recently got a Leaf e+ ...

Nobody has given their thoughts here on L62 ownership. How are you finding the e+? I'd swap to it if possible from L40, but now with CCS about to be the norm for all new sales in Ireland (& Europe) I would only consider bargains on SH market and a good sale price for L40 and look to SH M3 when they drop below 40k. Another negative is that the e+ was retrofitted to not charge over 50Kw so the new 150Kw chargers will not make a big difference.

The Ariya looks great as another sizeable machine, but am not mad about Crossover designs as they are less efficient SUV-imitators, however the high ride position has its advantages on rural roads. I find the LEAF a good compromise as it sits high and is quite similar to the old Focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You'd have to assume if this is coming with CCS the Leaf will be changed over around the same time as well, having CHAdeMO and CCS cars on European showroom floors would be madness surely.

I think Nissan will have just the one ev moving forwards if rumours are true.

• Advertisement

Nobody has given their thoughts here on L62 ownership. How are you finding the e+? I'd swap to it if possible from L40, but now with CCS about to be the norm for all new sales in Ireland (& Europe) I would only consider bargains on SH market and a good sale price for L40 and look to SH M3 when they drop below 40k. Another negative is that the e+ was retrofitted to not charge over 50Kw so the new 150Kw chargers will not make a big difference.

With everything going on I haven’t driven it a huge amount, but drove down from NI (200km used 60% of the battery, half that was motorway set to 130km/h) and lots of local journeys. Coming from a Leaf24. Personally I love the Leaf, fairly premium interior, smooth and enjoyable to drive, plenty of tech that actually works, much bigger than people realise, depreciation pretty reasonable these days.

Yes CHAdeMO is a bummer, but with enough range to drive to most places in Ireland non-stop it’s not a major issue for me and we’re years from CHAdeMO being removed from charging locations. I think the e+ can do 100kW charging, averaging 75kW or something? But again not a big issue for me.

Battery degradation is really not that big a deal, my 6 year old Leaf24 sold with 86% SOH and no questions asked, it’s just baked into the depreciated cost. Leaf62 will need to be charged less for obvious reasons, charging is spread over more cells, better chemistry etc. I mean I’d prefer it degraded less quickly, but it’s a minor issue.

The fact the likes of the eNiro can do an extra 75-100km on a similar battery is a shame, but for my use a complete non issue.

I think the Leaf40 is a great deal for somebody buying a SH EV today (€20k for a 2018 with loads of tech) and I reckon the Leaf62 will be a cracking deal when you can get them for €20k in a couple of years time.

The Leaf gets way more flack than it deserves on this forum. I tried the Kona, Niro, M3, MS, i3, E-tron and still chose the e+ (though mostly on price compared to the e-trim/MS) to be fair :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Lantus wrote: »

Just one? Seems odd. Aren't some of the others aiming to have a EV version of most or all their range?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

They're introducing a new electrified platform with the Ariya, it's the first model on the platform. You don't talk about a new platform unless you are planning on introducing a range of models.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

. Personally I love the Leaf, fairly premium interior, smooth and enjoyable to drive, plenty of tech that actually works, much bigger than people realise, depreciation pretty reasonable these days.
    +1 for me, as a family we regret selling the L40 as we all loved it. However the battery life was a concern and would have been an issue for my work (pre covid) and I sold it without losing much as Nissan raised the price after I bought it by a couple of thousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

liamog wrote: »
    They're introducing a new electrified platform with the Ariya, it's the first model on the platform. You don't talk about a new platform unless you are planning on introducing a range of models.

Would make sense and in time Nissan will reveal more info. The strategy is to move towards luxury high end products so if the the current leaf is ré imagined or ré purposed remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

If that's what you are hearing... it's wrong. They have at least five new models on the way, incl. Ariya and the new EV sedan. I was told in addition to those the Micra will also finally be launching an EV trim next year (it shares a platform with the Zoe/Clio).

I also got indicative pricing for Ireland, not sure if I'm supposed to share, but base 63kWh two motor starting price lower than previously announced, ~€45k. And the top spec e-4orce 87kWh will be mid €70k-ish.

cros13 wrote: »
    If that's what you are hearing... it's wrong. They have at least five new models on the way, incl. Ariya and the new EV sedan. I was told in addition to those the Micra will also finally be launching an EV trim next year (it shares a platform with the Zoe/Clio).

I also got indicative pricing for Ireland, not sure if I'm supposed to share, but base 63kWh two motor starting price lower than previously announced, ~€45k. And the top spec e-4orce 87kWh will be mid €70k-ish.

Interesting. I registered my interest last week on one. Big fan of how they embraced Japanese Ma. ( was impressed so much at their new design philosophy that I did a yolo on Nissan stock also).

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Good to have you back cros

Nissan using own cells or a battery giant?

Did they ever get rid of AESC or will they be using them for non premium stuff like the Micra?

Without Ghosn its hard to see them sharing platforms with the Alliance, think they gonna die by the sword in Europe like Mitsubishi in years to come

Brand is in the gutter right now in Europe and Dacia has the lower end, don't know where they can go

The new qashqai is reportedly also coming with E Power. Basically a Rex with a tiny battery. Very popular in Japan in the note.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

80sDiesel wrote: »
    The new qashqai is reportedly also coming with E Power. Basically a Rex with a tiny battery. Very popular in Japan in the note.

A revised e-power designed for europe is on the way for several models (Nissan is going to drop diesel and go with EV & e-power as the main powertrain options). Bigger battery and more powerful motor than the japanese to suit our more aggressive and higher speed driving.
    Thierry12 wrote: »
    Good to have you back cros

Nissan using own cells or a battery giant?

CATL was mentioned.
    Did they ever get rid of AESC or will they be using them for non premium stuff like the Micra?

AESC are now owned by a chinese investment group I think?
    Without Ghosn its hard to see them sharing platforms with the Alliance, think they gonna die by the sword in Europe like Mitsubishi in years to come

Brand is in the gutter right now in Europe and Dacia has the lower end, don't know where they can go

Dacia's version of Renault K-ZE is on the way for europe. Big EV push on the way for the whole alliance as the Renault bailout money had a lot of EV-related strings attached. Renault is supposedly going to lead the EV push for the alliance as a whole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

fair ****s to nissan. now if they could just produce a r32 4 door sedan skyline with a decent battery id be sold for nostalgia alone :P

E Power is something ive always liked

Best of both worlds

Electric drive train for that gear free instant power/torque and petrol as the fuel source

Perfect combo for many

How small a battery we talking about ? is it driven in any way by the engine ?

How small a battery we talking about ? is it driven in any way by the engine ?

Note epower in Japan is a 1.5kWh with a 3 cylinder engine . The Serena is 1.8kWh .Should be larger on both accounts for European rollout.

Engine only chargers the battery.

Note epower in Japan is a 1.5kWh with a 3 cylinder engine . The Serena is 1.8kWh .Should be larger on both accounts for European rollout.

Engine only chargers the battery.

1.8 Kwh, Jaysus that's pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I feel like I'm missing the point of e-power. What's the advantage?
    The engine will be running all the time right?

JPA wrote: »
    I feel like I'm missing the point of e-power. What's the advantage?
    The engine will be running all the time right?

No need to charge the car, driven by the electric motor and mpg is pretty good as engine runs at optimum rpm

e Note does 0 - 100kmh in 7ish secs, weights 1200kg and does 55mpg

Some improvement over a 13 sec, 1 litre petrol

1.8 Kwh, Jaysus that's pathetic.

Its not a pluggin, battery is constantly charged by engine

Its not a pluggin, battery is constantly charged by engine

There's be no point plugging it in lol :D

It's sad, they could have done a lot better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭JPA

No need to charge the car, driven by the electric motor and mpg is pretty good as engine runs at optimum rpm

e Note does 0 - 100kmh in 7ish secs, weights 1200kg and does 55mpg

Some improvement over a 13 sec, 1 litre petrol

Seems like a backward step, it shouldn't even be discussed in this forum!

Advertisement