Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nissan Ariya

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JPA wrote: »
    Seems like a backward step, it shouldn't even be discussed in this forum!

It's just another hybrid really, no different than any other without a plug :)
    They're allowed in the forum, though they are veering off topic in an Ariya thread ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

liamog wrote: »
    It's just another hybrid really, no different than any other without a plug :)
    They're allowed in the forum, though they are veering off topic in an Ariya thread ...

Its completely different Liam

Its driven by the electric motor all the time

The driving experience will be exactly like an EV with no charging required

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Thierry12 wrote: »

It's just a different form of hybrid, the point was more to indicate that it's ok to be on the EV&Hybrids forum. I suspect you will need to charge it with petrol, that tank isn't going to fill itself :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Thierry12 wrote: »

Agree. It’s an EV which instead of having to wait to load up the electrons at a power outlet, instead it is resupplied quickly with an energy source(petrol) to create those elections on the move.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Agree. It’s an EV which instead of having to wait to load up the electrons at a power outlet, instead it is resupplied quickly with an energy source(petrol) to create those elections on the move.

It's still a hybrid vehicle. Just as the I3 with a REx is a hybrid. It's not taking away from the fact that it's a good idea.

We have HEV, MHEV, FCEV, BEV, PHEV, probably needs a new label for super REx's.

• Advertisement

It's still a hybrid vehicle. Just as the I3 with a REx is a hybrid. It's not taking away from the fact that it's a good idea.

PEV ;-)

Nissan GTR 2022 will be a PEV

4 electric motors

800bhp

Like the Rex but not quite, Rex is the only PHEV on the planet with so much EV range and can actually charge at a fast charger at full 50 Kw and the only reason they didn't add it with the 44 Kwh battery is because they didn't want to pay for recertification because BMW couldn't make up their minds whether they were going to keep it in production or not, at the time the Rex was scrapped BMW announced the end of the i3 would be end of 2019. BMW came up with the BS that with the 44 Kwh or 120 Ah there was no need for the Rex.....poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭cannco253

https://cleantechnica.com/2020/09/24/the-new-nissan-ariya-an-exclusive-interview-with-nissan-chief-engineer-hikaru-nakajima/

Good article about the Ariya, didn't know this about the reveal date..Volkswagen is also going to be doing it for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

"Why did NISSAN announce this car a year before its release?

The announcement was scheduled to coincide with the Tokyo Olympics, so that we could exhibit the ARIYA at events. We decided to proceed with the announcement, despite the postponement of the Olympics."

Some great up close video of the Ariya exterior and interior design details

https://youtu.be/73q5vqtY938

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

This is a fine looking car. Sadly the price is bound to be mental for the higher spec.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

It's 40k for the starting model which may well be OK if it starts at the mid range ambition level.

If your in the 40k car market its not too bad for a good sized suv.

I just wonder with remote working becoming a provable and long term solution how many will feel the need to invest in long range expensive evs when fuel bills continue to tumble to meager levels.

My fuel bill is down from 160 a month to nearer 40. If new measures come into effect I'll be at nearer 20 a month which will require sale of the diesel and purchase of a really well specd petrol for 20 something. Even if I buy a 30k petrol it would take 40 years to get pay back compared to this ev. So no point.....

We have already delivered huge carbon savings around the world over the last 8 months. Its time to address the real issue which is outdated city design.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,703 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Jonny Smith does a "studio" review

Looking good, should be a popular car here. Ideal upgrade for a lot of current Leaf owners

UK starting price of £37k for the base FWD version. That seems very steep though given that a Kia e-Niro is under £30k after the £3k grant over there

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

unkel wrote: »

Looking good, should be a popular car here. Ideal upgrade for a lot of current Leaf owners

UK starting price of £37k for the base FWD version. That seems very steep though given that a Kia e-Niro is under £30k after the £3k grant over there

Will be populate alright looks great inside and out.

So am I correct in saying the basic model approx
    €40 k with grants

Very interesting.

130 Kw CCS, though that's meaningless without charge time figures. Seems a little low with 90 Kw battery ?

90 Kwh is impressive from Nissan but I'd say that will push the cost towards 60 K Euro's here after grant ?

22 KW AC is brilliant though and about time........

Ariya name is ****. But it's a cool looking car

Not bad looking inside. Right price this will sell well. But I can't see the 90 Kwh for less than 60-65 K or even more, for a Nissan ?

Any ETA ?

Give me a 4WD performance 90 Kwh please lol, can't imagine the cost of that, 80k ?

Imagine the cost of the 90 Kwh AWD Performance ? :eek:

Yep particularly because we now have a "luxury car" tax on EVs costing more than average with the new VRT system :rolleyes:

Yep particularly because we now have a "luxury car" tax on EVs costing more than average with the new VRT system :rolleyes:

How does this new vrt system work again ?

Government clowns should remove VRT it's thieving and there is absolutely no justification for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Very interesting.

130 Kw CCS, though that's meaningless without charge time figures. Seems a little low with 90 Kw battery ?

what do you mean charge time?

130kw ccs for a 90kw battery is like, 70%

so 70% of an hour is 42 min, straight out.

so for the usuall 10%-80% charge itll be like 30 min with another 30 min for the last 20%

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No we dont.

Actual Luxury cars like the X and the Taycan are cheaper under this new system.

• Advertisement

kaahooters wrote: »

so for the usuall 10%-80% charge itll be like 30 min with another 30 min for the last 20%

You can't assume that.

It could be 130kW from 10%-20% SOC only, or 130kW from 5-80% SOC, or anything in between

This is referred to as the charge curve. Look at Bjorns videos comparing the Etron with other EVs that also have "150kW" charging and you'll see the importance of the curve

kaahooters wrote: »

Charging power in Kw is really only used for marketing but it's not really any use if it can pull 130 Kw for 5 mins then ramp down to 50 Kw after 20 mins etc. The total time to charge is more important to know.

Also cold has a big impact and Nissan are not known for their Thermal management so what could be 130 Kw for a warm battery could be 30 Kw for a very cold battery. Other cars have the potential to warm their batteries but due to some mad engineering decisions don't heat for charging properly only for max acceleration and regen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Even if they have resolved the issues of the Leaf, it is almost inevitable that this model will come as standard with a whole other slew of reliability and quality issues. I think anyone buying the first run of a new model is mad. If you are keen to buy new, then wait until the 3rd or 4th model year when the quality and design flaws of the first generation have become apparent, and hopefully, rectified on subsequent production versions.

ELM327 wrote: »
    No we dont.

Actual Luxury cars like the X and the Taycan are cheaper under this new system.

When I say cars costing more than average, I meant cars in the €45-€70k range. These are now more expensive than before. Very high end cars above €70k are now cheaper as you say.

Not sure why this change was put in, it's pretty stupid. The most important principle of tax collection is the ease of collection. Make a €100k car €1k more expensive because of extra tax and this will pass unnoticed, nobody will care and nobody will not buy that €100k car now because of the higher tax. But hey the government in their wisdom decides to do the opposite :rolleyes: And that during a time where the total tax collected has collapsed compared to previous years and spending is going through the roof :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Ah shure we'll get a few more printing presses to print EUR notes just like the yanks have shown us..

At least the € means our banana republic can't print its own money. Because we would have done so many times over at this point.

Our levels of VRT are ridiculous, and saying its for climate change is also nonsense. I was looking at importing a Taycan or a Model X from Germany (LHD of course, but still 10-15% cheaper than here) and there is still VRT on those. Full electric cars should not have VRT.

Seems impressed with the interior

• Registered Users Posts: 8,325 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

ELM327 wrote: »
    At least the € means our banana republic can't print its own money. Because we would have done so many times over at this point.

Our levels of VRT are ridiculous, and saying its for climate change is also nonsense. I was looking at importing a Taycan or a Model X from Germany (LHD of course, but still 10-15% cheaper than here) and there is still VRT on those. Full electric cars should not have VRT.

Vrt is 0 for electric cars though

No it's not, there's something like 3,500 Euro's worth of VRT on a M3 for a total of 12,100 in tax you have to give the Government for free. Tesla beak it down for you and it's a real eyeopener as to how much we're screwed in Ireland.

Without the tax the M3 SR + would cost around 35,900, that's less than a Kia E-Niro costs lol it's mental.

Absolutely and categorically untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Personally ,and I've 2 Ev's, they should do away with tthe VRT rebate. Its just free cash to these car companies.

Advertisement