Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Paulzx wrote: »
    Quick question. Sim card arrived today. I'm not at home to check it. However, my online account on GoMo still shows no phone number allocated to me. This means i can't initiate a port.

Will activating the sim in a phone automatically allocate the sim to my account so i can attempt a port?

Your SIM should arrive activated. If it didn't, it's likely An Post didn't scan the packet on delivery as that's what GoMo uses as an activation signal.

It should eventually activate but you may want to get onto CS and try hurry that process along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Received my sim card today, 4 days after the date I had selected to start my activation.

Inserted sim card but network not active. Do I need to contact GoMo to get them to activate it now?

I have the same, no number/info on MyAccount, webchat made me put it into second phone (pita, had to find old one and charge up, lol) but the same. Been trying to contact webchat again but no go. Send a message, allegedly they contact me in 24 hours.
    Not impressed so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

TheDriver wrote: »
    I got no reply when I texted the PRSMSBAR on GoMo.

I did get a reply when I texted it on eir before porting.

I was reading more and it looks like barring premium rate texts is sometimes proposed as a way of stopping these scams but it won’t work.

It will prevent you sending premium rate texts, and may prevent you from seeing incoming premium rate texts.

It will not stop you from being charged for incoming premium rate texts.

To stop these charges, you need a bar on third party charges to your account, but I've idea if GoMo or any Irish mobile operator has the means to do so.

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/barring-third-party-charges/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

The comments re problems with activation have put me off changing to them.
    Will wait & watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

dinneenp wrote: »
    Will wait & watch...

There's probably 40k changed and vast vast majority have no issues. You don't post online when there's nothing wrong........

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dinneenp wrote: »
    Will wait & watch...

I've switched about 15 people to GoMo at this stage and not a single problem with any of them. I've spoken to people who have had problems with porting and it was down to them not know the difference between prepay and post pay and also not knowing their account number. I'm not saying this is the same for everyone, but you can be sure its a large percentage of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

mendo wrote: »
    I was reading more and it looks like barring premium rate texts is sometimes proposed as a way of stopping these scams but it won’t work.

It will prevent you sending premium rate texts, and may prevent you from seeing incoming premium rate texts.

It will not stop you from being charged for incoming premium rate texts.

To stop these charges, you need a bar on third party charges to your account, but I've idea if GoMo or any Irish mobile operator has the means to do so.

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/barring-third-party-charges/

Two more helpful links for people getting unauthorized Premium SMS charges.

https://www.surecloud.com/sc-blog/bbc-watchdog-research-paper-payforit

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

Disaster . Never received sim . Took 10 euro on 15th and got an email today to say they were taking another bill on the 10th . Also no service now on my Eir sim ?

Never replied to my email and chat got cut off yesterday after an hour waiting .

How do you cancel this crap ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

mendo wrote: »
    Two more helpful links for people getting unauthorized Premium SMS charges.

https://www.surecloud.com/sc-blog/bbc-watchdog-research-paper-payforit

http://mobilepaymentsupport.com/

who are mobilepaymentsupport? why is their site insecure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Hardtochoose

TheDriver wrote: »
    There's probably 40k changed and vast vast majority have no issues. You don't post online when there's nothing wrong........

Out of 4 sims in this household that switched, all 4 having issue.

Me- 15 days later, cannot receive calls or sms
    oH - not receiving any sms
    Parents - ports haven’t gone through , tried twice . Correct details, support are hopeless.

There’s definitely issues with gomo, and the problem is that support is basically non existent if something goes wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Gonad wrote: »
    Disaster . Never received sim . Took 10 euro on 15th and got an email today to say they were taking another bill on the 10th . Also no service now on my Eir sim ?

Never replied to my email and chat got cut off yesterday after an hour waiting .

How do you cancel this crap ?

How is there no service on your eir sim? They won't start any porting until you account is active which can't happen prior to you receiving your SIM card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

2 SIMs in my house. One port took 15 mins, other took 1 min. All working same as eir afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gonad

lawred2 wrote: »
    How is their no service on your eir sim? They won't start any porting until you account is active which can't happen prior to you receiving your SIM card.

No idea . I’ll have to try a different sim and make sure not an issue with my phone so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭bromley52

Parents - ports haven’t gone through , tried twice . Correct details, support are hopeless.

There’s definitely issues with gomo, and the problem is that support is basically non existent if something goes wrong.

Myself and another family member are having the same issue as your parents. We must have tried porting about 5 times. We are both with eir under the same account number.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

2 in our house working grand and when the daughter gets her NAC code from VF she's switching also. Great value product.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

I made the switch yesterday and it was seamless. Got the phone unlocked by three yesterday afternoon. Took three sim out. Replaced it with gomo sim and it worked pretty much instantly. Was kind of relieved after reading some of the issues posted in here. So far so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Porting from Eir how long should it take? Scheduled for this morning still have signal account states in process. Would of thought much quicker as essentially the same network

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭meathman0

Got sim 2 weeks ago, ported this morning, all done in 5 minutes, everything fine except voice mail, doesn't recognize my number, even tried gomo number.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

who are mobilepaymentsupport? why is their site insecure?

He seems quite happy to give his mobile number to a random website and is then surprised to be charged for premium texts. The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

morgana wrote: »
    I have the same, no number/info on MyAccount, webchat made me put it into second phone (pita, had to find old one and charge up, lol) but the same. Been trying to contact webchat again but no go. Send a message, allegedly they contact me in 24 hours.
    Not impressed so far.

Spoke to webchat. They are pushing through my port now so up to 48 hours...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Porting from Eir how long should it take? Scheduled for this morning still have signal account states in process. Would of thought much quicker as essentially the same network

I was scheduled to port from Eir at 11am today, on the GoMo website it said porting was in progress, it was around 12.15pm when it fully ported.

So to cap it all off, I’ve €5 worth of international sms on my bill, 85 in total. All to the Apple iMessage activation number, at 6 cents each. iMessage has never activated since I ported.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

So to cap it all off, I’ve €5 worth of international sms on my bill, 85 in total. All to the Apple iMessage activation number, at 6 cents each. iMessage has never activated since I ported.

My imessage activated almost immediately and only took one text, as did my sons and my wife's ones, no idea how you could generate 83 text messages and still haven't managed to get it activated

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Sims ordered 16th October.
    Still haven’t arrived despite being told last week they were dispatched.

Had to cancel. Now fighting for my activation fee refund.

I may still try again though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I paid 18c for iMessage activation. Which isn’t too bad considering how many times I enabled/disabled it trying to get it to work.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    My imessage activated almost immediately and only took one text, as did my sons and my wife's ones, no idea how you could generate 83 text messages and still haven't managed to get it activated

Issues with the port. I can’t receive any calls or SMS either, so I’d imagine the sms or acknowledgement Apple sends back automatically to confirm isn’t coming through

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

How is there no service on your eir sim? They won't start any porting until you account is active which can't happen prior to you receiving your SIM card.

A few people have reported that they have lost service despite not having received their GoMo SIM. It's plausible that their GoMo SIM has gone astray (maybe delivered to another address), has been activated and had the port actioned.

Further proof is that someone else reported that they had another person's number ported to their GoMo SIM.

At least this won't be an issue going forward as you can no longer schedule a port when ordering a GoMo SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mezzotint

In my experience of porting between mobile operators in Ireland (and I've done it lots of times over the years) it generally works very well but it can go horribly wrong and glitch and then the port needs to be restarted, and particularly with phones that used to be on Vodafone i.e. 087 numbers. I'm speaking anecdotally but my 087 number business number ALWAYS has issues with ports whereas my 085 number never had and usually ports within a few minutes.

It has me wondering if Vodafone IE is using some ancient background infrastructure relative to the other operators.

The present day phone network basically does something a bit similar to a DNS server on the internet. When you dial a number, there's a database look up which allows the switch (exchange) to immediately locate where that number really is. The same happens for SMS and other services associated with your number. It's not done with a series of call diversions or anything cumbersome. So, when a port fails, it usually means that something has managed to fail to propagate that database properly - a bit like when you move a website from one hosting service to another and it doesn't show up.

If GoMo wanted to save some hassle, they should have some web form that allows people to resubmit the port request, if it doesn't happen. The whole thing could be automated without dragging a load of customer care stuff into it.

Generally though I have to say the porting in Ireland is very fast and usually works flawlessly. It's incredibly cumbersome in a lot of other countries - I remember in the UK it used to take days and require getting all sorts of bureaucracy from your existing operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

From memory, imessage activation is a UK number so that's where the international SMS charge is from.

If the initial setup text doesn't work, imessage will keep sending them so that's where the multiple charges build up.

Maybe disable imessage temporarily (if that's possible) until it's sorted.

Thread from last year about similar issue with Tesco mobile...
    https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057894401/1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Sparkrite

Not true.
    My daughters number was ported before she received her SIM.
    No great problem, just two days without a working phone, just popped in her Gomo sim when it did arrive and off she went,
    working with her ported number.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement