Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir GoMo - €9.99/month SIM only (unlimited calls, texts and 80GB data, 10Gb EU Roam

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

TheRodgers wrote: »
    anyone else getting so service when they put in new sim and try to activate it? i contacted then through web chat and they have no answer except it is a known issue.

Did you ever got it resolved? I'm getting the same, they made me put the sim into a different phone (pita) and the same. They are going to sent out a different SIM afaik but that means another 2 weeks wait (mine was ordered on 19.10 and just arrived this morning).

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭lighthouse

jarvis wrote: »
    Don’t give it to a friend. Give it to charity. I would encourage everyone to clear out their credit balance before porting. A list of textable charitys is here:
    https://api.likecharity.com/charities

Thanks for that but too late for me. I had less than 5e on my Lycamobile account which I "donated" to them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

I am going to make a complaint to ComReg about this incident and also complained to complaints@gomo.ie

Eir send a confirmatory text when the bar is applied so it might not have been set up on Gomo's system yet. However the fact that you sent the request to 50104 should strengthen your complaint with gomo.

From the other threads about those texts, contact the sender directly for a refund...
    https://servicechecker.comreg.ie/PR6538/MOBIPLANET
    ...and cc gomo and Comreg on emails, word it as strongly as you wish to give Comreg a deserved cyber walloping for allowing these scams to continue. Also make sure your number is removed from their list and throw in GDPR in case they get awkward.

If you ever entered any competition anywhere eg some text competition to a radio or TV station, they may have a list from way back then. Couple of threads in consumer and mobile forums if you need more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Aquos76 wrote:
    “ National calls include calls to Irish Mobiles and Landlines, 0818, 076, 1850 and 1890 numbers and calls to Northern Ireland landlines using the 048 prefix (in place of 004428â€

That note refers to out of bundle national charges @ 30c per min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭wolf9

Port was seamless, 2 mins all calls texts and data

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Lennyzip wrote: »
    This is what i was talking about. Are you saying this is norm ? Not having a go , genuinely curious.

"Roaming Outside the EU

To be honest, it might be best you steer clear of roaming outside the EU with GoMo. This is a no-frills network and roaming outside the EU is certainly a frill for them. If you want to use data in the United States, it’s charged at €4.99 per MB. That’s over five thousand euro for one GB of data in the States."

Vodafone charge €7,000 for the same thing.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

TheDriver wrote: »
    https://gomo.ie/wp-content/uploads/mobile_pt12.2-3.pdf

It lists national calls as out of plan on this page.

Yeah, those are the charges when you have exceeded your allowances I assume as it lists mobiles and land lines in the same paragraph.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RJellybean

Stevek101 wrote: »
    At least we didn't get billed that was my fear! I wonder how many of us are in this boat.

I ordered on the 16th as well. sent them another facebook message this morning. I'll see if i get a response. I do have a chat window open but no luck so far getting someone on that.

At least if we receive our sims soon we will get nearly the full month before our 1st bill.

Gooser14 wrote: »
    That note refers to out of bundle national charges @ 30c per min.

Yes, so a landline, mobile, 1890, 1850, 0818 and NI landlines are all charged at 30c a min once you have used your bundle, which does seem to indicate that these 1850/1890 etc are included in our plans already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

From December 1st there will be no premium rate numbers... they will all be included in your bundle. This is a new initiative from ComReg:

https://www.comreg.ie//ngnreview

They will have to be used from your bundled minutes & and beyond your bundle they will have to cost the same as a national call... which is unlikely to ever happen considering you get more minutes than there are in a month...

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    From December 1st there will be no premium rate numbers... they will all be included in your bundle. This is a new initiative from ComReg:

https://www.comreg.ie//ngnreview

They will have to be used from your bundled minutes & and beyond your bundle they will have to cost the same as a national call... which is unlikely to ever happen considering you get more minutes than there are in a month...

Yeah, was aware of that, its just the wording on GoMo website seems to indicate they ahe included them already. I know VM have as they used it to try and justify their price hikes recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mendo

mendo wrote: »
    Guys, please make sure that your account has all the premium SMS and premium call services blocked.

I have deactivated the Premium SMS and calls by sending the PRSMSBAR SMS to 50104, the day my number was activated the 24th of October, yet I was charged for Premium SMS on the 31st of October.

I have received my first bill and to my surprise, I have been charged for three Premium SMS messages on the 31st of October, despite the fact that I have disabled Premium SMS and calls on my account, the first day my SIM card was activated the 24th of October.

I have not subscribed to any premium service paid by premium SMS and I would have expected the block I've put on my account to stop this from happening.

The charge incurred on my account was from a Premium SMS number 57976, 3 x 2.5 euro, for a total of 7.5 euro and this charge is bogus and should have never happened or been allowed to happen.

I am going to make a complain to ComReg about this incident and also complained to complaints@gomo.ie

To anyone who mentioned me "subscribing unknowingly" to any premium SMS service, all I can say is that if it hasn't happened to you yet, don't be so sure it won't happen in the future.

As I've mentioned in my initial post, I have deactivated the Premium SMS and calls by sending the PRSMSBAR SMS to 50104, the day my number was activated the 24th of October, so no one should have been able to charge me.

The issue looks to be with GoMo as it doesn't look that they can block premium SMS and call services properly.

The other issue is the Payforit.
    The mobile operators "leak" your number to "third parties" via Payforit and the third parties use a Javascript exploit.

The networks claim that you must have consented to the charges by “clicking on a link”.
    In reality, javacript exploits known as clickjacking and iFraming auto-subscribe you.
    Just closing a popup can initiate a subscription.

The networks usually refuse to offer any help to victims of these scams.
    They tell the victims to send a STOP message to the shortcode associated with the service.
    Incredibly they actually expect you to PAY to send this text!
    If you want a refund, the network will usually expect you to negotiate directly with the scammers.

Under the Payforit rules, networks are supposed to help you once you have attempted and failed to get a refund from the scammers.
    However, the networks usually attempt to shirk these responsibilities.

Will see what I'll be getting back from GoMo regarding the Premium SMS/calls service access deactivation, but I plan to report them to the ComReg if this hasn't worked and still doesn't work on their side.

More details on the issue below:
    https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

To anyone who mentioned me "subscribing unknowingly" to any premium SMS service, all I can say is that if it hasn't happened to you yet, don't be so sure it won't happen in the future.

As I've mentioned in my initial post, I have deactivated the Premium SMS and calls by sending the PRSMSBAR SMS to 50104, the day my number was activated the 24th of October, so no one should have been able to charge me.

The issue looks to be with GoMo as it doesn't look that they can block premium SMS and call services properly.

The mobile operators "leak" your number to "third parties" via Payforit and the third parties use a Javascript exploit.

The networks claim that you must have consented to the charges by “clicking on a link”.
    In reality, javacript exploits known as clickjacking and iFraming auto-subscribe you.

They tell the victims to send a STOP message to the shortcode associated with the service.
    If you want a refund, the network will usually expect you to negotiate directly with the scammers.

Under the Payforit rules, networks are supposed to help you once you have attempted and failed to get a refund from the scammers.

Will see what I'll be getting back from GoMo regarding the Premium SMS/calls service access deactivation, but I plan to report them to the ComReg if this hasn't worked and still doesn't work on their side.

Again, how do you know that PRSMSBAR SMS to 50104 actually works on GoMo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

BowWow wrote: »
    Comreg have said that they are to be free BY December 1st. So might not yet be included.

Don’t have it to hand but there was a PDF on the gomo website which listed 1800,1890 etc as included in the minutes

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Again, how do you know that PRSMSBAR SMS to 50104 actually works on GoMo?

It is clear to me that it doesn't work, but I am waiting for GoMo to respond to my complaint and I will let you all know the method that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Sounds like you have history with this.

Like others mentioned I've never received a premium rate text. Probably because I've never opened an unsolicited message and blocked the number. And pop ups? What are you doing to be getting pop ups on your phone?

When you sent your message to 50104 did you get a response?

Sounds like you have history with this.

Like others mentioned I've never received a premium rate text. Probably because I've never opened an unsolicited message and blocked the number. And pop ups? What are you doing to be getting pop ups on your phone?

When you sent your message to 50104 did you get a response?

Nope, no history with this before.

Just to clarify the issue, I did not receive any SMS as such, I've just seen the Premium SMS charge on my first bill.

Also I've received no SMS confirmation messages of any premium service or any kind of subscription.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

First bill today. €10.05. They charged me 6 cent for an international text. I've no idea what this refers to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

TheDriver wrote: »
    I tried same premium bar but I got reply. Anyone successful in putting on the premium bar?

I applied the bar & got an instant txt back from eir acknowledging it telling me that the bar will be active in 24hours.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Nope, no history with this before.

Just to clarify the issue, I did not receive any SMS as such, I've just seen the Premium SMS charge on my first bill.

Also I've received no SMS confirmation messages of any premium service or any kind of subscription.

It sounds like trying to opt out actually signed you up for something. Which would be ridiculous you would think. But this lot are connected to Eir so nothing is impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Received my sim card today, 4 days after the date I had selected to start my activation.

Inserted sim card but network not active. Do I need to contact GoMo to get them to activate it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Trimm Trabb

Oh no! We tried to move your number to our network but there is already a move in progress for this number. See our FAQs at gomo.ie/joining-getting-started-with-gomo/#move-number on what to do next and how to complete your move. That's it!

Anyone else encountered this and had it sorted?

First bill today. €10.05. They charged me 6 cent for an international text. I've no idea what this refers to.

iMESSAGE activation?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you have an Iphone? It is more than likely Facetime or iMessage activation. I think it goes to a UK number?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 98 ✭✭Charles Leclerc

Aquos76 wrote: »
    iMESSAGE activation?
    No idea, just said international text.

Off to comreg I go.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Don’t have it to hand but there was a PDF on the gomo website which listed 1800,1890 etc as included in the minutes

This is how they word it...
    Out Of Plan Call charges
    *National calls include calls to Irish Mobiles and Landlines, 0818, 076, 1850 and 1890 numbers and calls to Northern Ireland landlines using the 048 prefix (in place of 004428)
    ...which reads as the definition of national calls "out of plan"

However the plan minutes included are...
    Unlimited calls to Irish mobiles and landlines
    ...but doesn't mention 1890 etc

The confusion is in the fact that Irish landlines & mobiles are included but they have to quote them in out of plan charges because the limit is 45000 (which is effectively irrelevant since it's practically impossible to spend a full month continuously making phone calls).

So 1890 etc is extra until end of November, thereafter it's included in the 45000 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got no reply when I texted the PRSMSBAR on GoMo.

I did get a reply when I texted it on eir before porting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Quick question. Sim card arrived today. I'm not at home to check it. However, my online account on GoMo still shows no phone number allocated to me. This means i can't initiate a port.

Will activating the sim in a phone automatically allocate the sim to my account so i can attempt a port?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Paulzx wrote: »
    Quick question. Sim card arrived today. I'm not at home to check it. However, my online account on GoMo still shows no phone number allocated to me. This means i can't initiate a port.

Will activating the sim in a phone automatically allocate the sim to my account so i can attempt a port?

Don't think so, I didn't pre activate the SIM before today, waited til my signal went and swapped Sims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

If you ordered a SIM and it was activated in October, you will be charged for the full calendar month of November, even if you haven’t received the SIM.

When I ordered my SIM, I didn’t know I’d have to sign for it. After an attempted delivery on Monday last week, I used An Post’s redelivery service but still haven’t got it and they have no idea where it is. Also, I put a port date of 15/11/19 but this has no impact on billing. Basically, you get billed regardless of whether you use the service or not.

I realise that An Post have f***ed up here but if it was made obvious that I’d have to sign for it, I would have got it delivered to work first day. Also, activating the SIM three weeks before the requested port date is shady from GoMo imo.

My advice, as others have said, order at the start of a month to get the best value. And if you are under contract and can’t port until Dec, Jan, whenever, don’t place an order unless you don’t mind getting charged €9.99 a month for something you won’t be using.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement